CSNbbs
OT: World Cup - Who you got? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: OT: World Cup - Who you got? (/thread-692055.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

OT: World Cup - Who you got? - DoubleAggie - 06-10-2014 10:29 PM

We know South Alabama fans are for USA.

And suspect that Trojan fans are for Greece.

And I heard that Cajuns sport a Brazillian.

Who's gonna win?

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - panama - 06-10-2014 10:35 PM

Home team

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - RustonCAT - 06-10-2014 11:06 PM

(06-10-2014 10:35 PM)panama Wrote:  Home team

I see a repeat of the last Brazil World Cup. Argentina over Brazil in Final

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - UaLrRuLeS - 06-10-2014 11:10 PM

agree with rustoncat. argentina wins over brazil. spain third place.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - arkstfan - 06-11-2014 12:02 AM

I'm going to swim against the trend (despite Brazil really looking like the best contender) and go with Germany.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - itsmeagain - 06-11-2014 12:46 AM

I'm English. I'll go England, no matter the odds.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - runninjoe - 06-11-2014 04:12 AM

My home away from home USA first and after they get knocked out in the group stage my current home Spain.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - moehler - 06-11-2014 06:39 AM

home team, but not going to watch any of the games, not a big soccer fan, way too slow not enough scoring.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - chiefsfan - 06-11-2014 06:41 AM

(06-10-2014 10:35 PM)panama Wrote:  Home team

Panama isn't in the world cup. Surely you remember the US Knocking them out last game of qualifying?

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - chiefsfan - 06-11-2014 06:44 AM

(06-11-2014 06:39 AM)moehler Wrote:  home team, but not going to watch any of the games, not a big soccer fan, way too slow not enough scoring.

The Irony in this statement is the reason a lot of European fans make fun of us is that our sports are too slow paced.

The average commercial can turn an NFL Contest into a 3 and a half hour ordeal. I know that when I sit down to watch the US play Ghana Monday, the game will be over in just over 2 hours.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - G.A.T.A. Eagles - 06-11-2014 06:51 AM

I knew there were protests going on right now about the world cup in Brazil but I had no idea they had this many problems going on before reading this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/world-cup/analysis-brazil-scrambles-get-ready-world-cup-looms-n127571

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - chiefsfan - 06-11-2014 07:03 AM

(06-11-2014 06:51 AM)G.A.T.A. Eagles Wrote:  I knew there were protests going on right now about the world cup in Brazil but I had no idea they had this many problems going on before reading this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/world-cup/analysis-brazil-scrambles-get-ready-world-cup-looms-n127571

Hosting the World Cup is the equivalent of renting land to a known Mob boss. Sure, logically you should make a ton of cash off the deal if its the right property, but you'll probably end up giving it away for free and letting them keep all the profits after you are done negotiating.

FIFA forces countries to spend billions of dollars to build gigantic stadiums they don't need and cant afford, requires them to give the organization full tax exempt status, and then requests a few laws that don't quite meet the standards of their sponsorship agreements be re-written. Then, FIFA gets to keep all the profits made off the world cup.

The World Cup is such a religion overseas that everyone wants to host it...to the point they are willing to bend over backwards to do whatever FIFA needs to host. Brazil spends close to a Billion Dollars building facilities for the event, which angers a lot of civillians who wonder why they aren't getting paid what they should when the country can apparently shell out a Billion bucks for a sporting event.

Then there is the mess of Qatar using Slave Labor to build their own stadiums for the 2022 cup, resulting in what is on track to be over 5K deaths before the tournament starts.

Truthfully, Spain, England, Italy, France, the US, and a few others are the only ones capable of hosting a World Cup and not nearly sending the country into bankruptcy in the process.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - Bobcat2013 - 06-11-2014 07:06 AM

(06-11-2014 06:44 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 06:39 AM)moehler Wrote:  home team, but not going to watch any of the games, not a big soccer fan, way too slow not enough scoring.

The Irony in this statement is the reason a lot of European fans make fun of us is that our sports are too slow paced.

The average commercial can turn an NFL Contest into a 3 and a half hour ordeal. I know that when I sit down to watch the US play Ghana Monday, the game will be over in just over 2 hours.

For me its just that very little actually happens in those 2 hours. At least for the casual viewer (like myself). Meanwhile, an NFL game might take longer, but there's a good chance something exciting will happen every play. Be it a spectacular catch, big hit, sick juke, etc. and when some of us usually only get 16 games a season I enjoy the longevity of the games. Dammit Jerry.

I do think that it's silly when people try to say that scoring is the issue because it's not like TD's are scored on every other play. I just think it's boring, but strangely I find the crowd energy to be captivating, even through my tv.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - chiefsfan - 06-11-2014 07:09 AM

(06-11-2014 07:06 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

For me its just that very little actually happens in those 2 hours. At least for the casual viewer (like myself). Meanwhile, an NFL game might take longer, but there's a good chance something exciting will happen every play. Be it a spectacular catch, big hit, sick juke, etc. and when some of us usually only get 16 games a season I enjoy the longevity of the games. Dammit Jerry.

I do think that it's silly when people try to say that scoring is the issue because it's not like TD's are scored on every other play. I just think it's boring, but strangely I find the crowd energy to be captivating, even through my tv.

Yet at the same time, many look at that passing around the midfield as "action", while they see our silly 40 second breaks between plays as slowing down the game.

Its one of those games over here that you either like or you don't. There is just not much middle ground.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - NCeagle - 06-11-2014 07:30 AM

I'm going with brazil or argentina. A European team has never won a WC in South America.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - moehler - 06-11-2014 07:55 AM

I've always said if I had kids, the first sport I would have them play would be soccer, easy to learn, great sport for getting the kids exercise, but as a spectator sport, I think watching "paint dry" is more exciting, now, I have tried to understand and watch soccer, I have patiently watch many an entire game, trying to give the game a chance to grow on me, but I can honestly say I have watched my last soccer match, I don't think the sport will ever appeal to me.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - slycat - 06-11-2014 08:17 AM

'Murica

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - FidelCashflow18 - 06-11-2014 08:17 AM

Germany.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - arkstfan - 06-11-2014 09:12 AM

(06-11-2014 07:06 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

Actually a LOT is happening all game long in soccer. The rules are pretty pro-defense so you don't get a lot of scoring. But one errant pass, one goofy deflection can change a game in an instant.

RE: OT: World Cup Thursday - Who you got? - MBA2000 - 06-11-2014 09:30 AM

Argentina. I kind of think of soccer and baseball as being somewhat comparable. Both have long periods of nothing really going on and then Bang something happens: goal, home run, something that causes instant excitement.