CSNbbs
Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game (/thread-686716.html)

Pages: 1 2

Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - WesternBlazer - 04-18-2014 11:53 AM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/uabs_bill_clark_nobody_is_more.html

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - 82blazer - 04-18-2014 12:04 PM

Well that makes a lot more sense than:
The program sucks
We don't care about the fans
Mackin is an idiot
Typical UAB football - let a little rain scare them off
Dumb idea to have it on Friday, should have known it was going to rain.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - B'ham Blazer - 04-18-2014 12:34 PM

Hid in all of this was Carson Miller= gone! One less OL........he couldn't make 1st string, even with all the injuries. With all of the OL coming in this summer, maybe he was looking to transfer to somewhere where he can get more playing time.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - Blazer Engineer - 04-18-2014 01:00 PM

(04-18-2014 12:34 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  Hid in all of this was Carson Miller= gone! One less OL........he couldn't make 1st string, even with all the injuries. With all of the OL coming in this summer, maybe he was looking to transfer to somewhere where he can get more playing time.

I wondered about him, didnt see him listed in any articles.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - B'ham Blazer - 04-18-2014 01:03 PM

(04-18-2014 01:00 PM)Blazer Engineer Wrote:  
(04-18-2014 12:34 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  Hid in all of this was Carson Miller= gone! One less OL........he couldn't make 1st string, even with all the injuries. With all of the OL coming in this summer, maybe he was looking to transfer to somewhere where he can get more playing time.

I wondered about him, didnt see him listed in any articles.

He was out there in the early part of spring, but when they released that depth chart, he was not on it. I imagine h quit after spring break.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 04-18-2014 06:00 PM

If Carson Miller leaves UAB, I hope he does so in good academic standing so it won't hurt the school's APR.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - WesternBlazer - 04-20-2014 02:50 PM

Another reason to cancel a Spring game that would have been held under less than optimum conditions(for UAB )

@RTRnews: 117 Fans Attended The Georgia Tech Spring Game
[Image: BlqoELGIEAAQ59C.jpg]

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - Montgomery Blazer - 04-20-2014 02:55 PM

I could have SWORN UAB held the Spring Game at Legion at least a couple of years ago. I also remember no one showed up.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - WesternBlazer - 04-20-2014 03:01 PM

(04-20-2014 02:55 PM)Montgomery Blazer Wrote:  I could have SWORN UAB held the Spring Game at Legion at least a couple of years ago. I also remember no one showed up.

Yeah, they did. I just think that with a new coach and a lot of positive vibe and all of the effort that went into its planning a rescheduled Spring game would have disastrous whether the reasons were valid or not. McGee had a packed house at his 1st Spring game...

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - BlazerMatt - 04-20-2014 04:14 PM

(04-20-2014 02:55 PM)Montgomery Blazer Wrote:  I could have SWORN UAB held the Spring Game at Legion at least a couple of years ago. I also remember no one showed up.

They held it at legion field and announced that it wasn't open to the public. That was the athletic departments way of getting out of having to pay the city to open the stadium.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - the_blazerman - 04-20-2014 04:20 PM

It is really interesting to me that teams feel like they need a spring game, especially a spring game with a full blown game like experience.

You have only a fraction of the players (missing the incoming freshmen and those that are held out for injuries) and it may not come close to resembling anything that you would see in the fall.

Imagine what it would be like if the other sports had a spring game. Baskeball, for example.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - Big Dee - 04-20-2014 04:35 PM

(04-20-2014 04:14 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  

They held it at legion field and announced that it wasn't open to the public. That was the athletic departments way of getting out of having to pay the city to open the stadium.

Yeah I still remember Joe dropping his shoulder and lowering the boom on one Will Dunbar then placing the ball on his chest as a present. Man I miss both of those guys in green and gold.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - panama - 04-20-2014 04:47 PM

(04-20-2014 04:20 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  It is really interesting to me that teams feel like they need a spring game, especially a spring game with a full blown game like experience.

You have only a fraction of the players (missing the incoming freshmen and those that are held out for injuries) and it may not come close to resembling anything that you would see in the fall.

Imagine what it would be like if the other sports had a spring game. Baskeball, for example.

#marketing

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - Montgomery Blazer - 04-20-2014 04:56 PM

Well, that explains it. Good move by the Athletic Dep't (And smart).

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - Montgomery Blazer - 04-20-2014 04:57 PM

(04-20-2014 04:35 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  

Yeah I still remember Joe dropping his shoulder and lowering the boom on one Will Dunbar then placing the ball on his chest as a present. Man I miss both of those guys in green and gold.

I've met Will a few times; nice guy. Unfortunate what he had to deal with.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - BlazerMatt - 04-20-2014 05:04 PM

(04-20-2014 04:56 PM)Montgomery Blazer Wrote:  

I don't understand. You complain that no one showed up to the spring game held at legion field, while also saying that it was a good (and smart) move by the athletic department to close said game to the public.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - Montgomery Blazer - 04-20-2014 05:12 PM

(04-20-2014 05:04 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  

I don't understand. You complain that no one showed up to the spring game held at legion field, while also saying that it was a good (and smart) move by the athletic department to close said game to the public.

The fact they closed the stadium explains why no one was there.

Now that I know that, I realize it probably saved the athletic dep't 10K.

I didn't think of it that way, and I was saying good job athletic department. The people who showed up wouldn't have been worth opening LF as you said.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - B'ham Blazer - 04-20-2014 06:35 PM

(04-20-2014 05:12 PM)Montgomery Blazer Wrote:  
(04-20-2014 05:04 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  

The fact they closed the stadium explains why no one was there.

Now that I know that, I realize it probably saved the athletic dep't 10K.

I didn't think of it that way, and I was saying good job athletic department. The people who showed up wouldn't have been worth opening LF as you said.

Next year will be much better. Coach Clark said they will be able to have a real spring game by then (6 new OL, and hopefully a couple of injured ones back as well).

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - Smaug - 04-20-2014 06:38 PM

Weather permitting.

RE: Champlin: UAB's Bill Clark disappointed after Blazers cancel spring game - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 04-20-2014 06:54 PM

(04-20-2014 06:38 PM)Smaug Wrote:  Weather permitting.

True, but by then UAB might have an all weather practice field - with stands - available for the spring game. Keep a positive thought.