CSNbbs
What about Boston University? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Proving Grounds (/forum-768.html)
+--- Forum: BigEastbbs (/forum-771.html)
+---- Forum: Big East Conference Talk (/forum-772.html)
+---- Thread: What about Boston University? (/thread-681296.html)

What about Boston University? - BearcatJerry - 03-12-2014 03:14 PM

I come in peace and am asking a serious question.

In all the chatter about future conference expansion and realignment, the usual suspects for Big East expansion usually include (in no particular order) Saint Louis and Dayton. These "usual suspects" make sense in one way or another and I don't want to re-open that particular argument. What I am curious about is this:

Has Boston University ever crossed anyone's radar screens as a possible candidate for BE expansion? What would be your (the fans) reaction to BU?

Here's my pondering... Boston University would seem to "fit" the Big East in that:
-It is a private, religious institution (Methodist) located in an urban center.
-BU has a long history of academic excellence (didn't MLK get his Doctorate from BU) and has had good athletics (most notably men's hockey but also the Terriers have been in the NCAA recently)
-BU would re-establish the BE brand in the Boston media market which was one of the original BE markets with Boston College.

Again, I'm asking honestly, as a fan who honestly cannot make anything happen either way... Just curious to see what you all think.

RE: What about Boston University? - stever20 - 03-12-2014 03:28 PM

funny- Boston U is actually going for the NCAA spot this evening(they play American).

I just think there's other options out there that are more viable than BU.

RE: What about Boston University? - billyjack - 03-12-2014 03:56 PM

(03-12-2014 03:14 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I come in peace and am asking a serious question.

In all the chatter about future conference expansion and realignment, the usual suspects for Big East expansion usually include (in no particular order) Saint Louis and Dayton. These "usual suspects" make sense in one way or another and I don't want to re-open that particular argument. What I am curious about is this:

Has Boston University ever crossed anyone's radar screens as a possible candidate for BE expansion? What would be your (the fans) reaction to BU?

Here's my pondering... Boston University would seem to "fit" the Big East in that:
-It is a private, religious institution (Methodist) located in an urban center.
-BU has a long history of academic excellence (didn't MLK get his Doctorate from BU) and has had good athletics (most notably men's hockey but also the Terriers have been in the NCAA recently)
-BU would re-establish the BE brand in the Boston media market which was one of the original BE markets with Boston College.

Again, I'm asking honestly, as a fan who honestly cannot make anything happen either way... Just curious to see what you all think.

BU's attendance is really awful, like literally only 900 fans per game. So that basically removes their name right off the bat.

They do have a lot of positives though... great location right in the city near Fenway, great academics like you said, tons of money, a lot of interest in their hockey program (also in Hockey East with PC)... too bad they couldn't really commit to building their hoops program.

RE: What about Boston University? - johnbragg - 03-12-2014 04:21 PM

Boston U lacks a lot of Big East qualifications

--history of big-time basketball success
--major basketball fanbase

Markets are not nothing, but it's not 1979 anymore. Pleasing CBS affiliates, or having a Boston TV station as part of your syndicated network, isn't the priority it used to be.

RE: What about Boston University? - BearcatJerry - 03-12-2014 06:58 PM

Fair 'nough... That's why I asked.

RE: What about Boston University? - IceJus10 - 03-12-2014 08:18 PM

They're playing in the hockey arena tonight... but usually its in that rooftop 900 seat gym... they were bottom dwellers in America East attendance.