CSNbbs
Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark (/thread-673834.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - the_blazerman - 01-30-2014 07:35 PM

Yes, in some cases that may be the deal.

Not saying it is or isn't in this case.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - tiger29 - 01-30-2014 07:43 PM

He never decommitted from UAB. When he spoke with the AD after Mcgee left and on his visit this past weekend, he remained committed.

(01-30-2014 07:08 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  The (former) kid from Minor (porkchop) "decommitted" a week or so ago after the new staff was announced.

I'm guessing that opened the door for UAB to decommit to the player.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - tiger29 - 01-30-2014 07:47 PM

I understand that the recruiting game is brutal. However, as a parent, its still frustrating. I just wished they had made this decision when they first got there. That wouldve given the kids more time to pursue other options. It is what it is and you have to move on. Good luck to you guys!!

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 01-30-2014 07:52 PM

Since UAB hired a local (in state) coach, he and his staff may be very familiar with most of the instate kids the former staff had recruited. They knew perhaps that they had not wanted some of them to come to Jax State before our job opened to them. Just guessing here but some of the "drops" may be for that reason. Coaches make mistakes about recruits every year all over the nation, and sometimes they live to regret some choices. It was, for example, said that Mack Brown decided not to pursue "Johnny Football", leaving him to Texas A&M.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - the_blazerman - 01-30-2014 07:57 PM

(Insert Billy Ray comment here)

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 01-30-2014 08:05 PM

(01-30-2014 07:57 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  (Insert Billy Ray comment here)

Does anyone remember Charley Dudish who went to GA Tech? A TV network did a one hour sports special on his recruitment complete with fake phone calls. Charley was widely heralded as the next great college QB of all time. If you know Ryan Leaf as a pro QB, you know the similar story about Charley as a college QB.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - cb4029 - 01-30-2014 11:18 PM

I want a coach to go get the best options. If he can bring in better players than the last guy did, then I say go for it. Being a nice guy will not keep you from getting fired, but good players will.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - bladhmadh - 01-30-2014 11:51 PM

(01-30-2014 11:18 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  I want a coach to go get the best options. If he can bring in better players than the last guy did, then I say go for it. Being a nice guy will not keep you from getting fired, but good players will.

so do I but I don't want a coach who will make a point to say he is going to honor the commitments then beak that word when convenient

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - WesternBlazer - 01-30-2014 11:55 PM

So, anyone have a visitors list?

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - WesternBlazer - 01-31-2014 02:04 AM

Drew Champlin ‏@DrewChamplin
Reedley (Calif.) College DB Rolan Milligan Jr. making official visit to UAB this weekend. Originally from Lake Wales, Fla

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - BlazeN'Bham - 01-31-2014 02:33 AM

(01-31-2014 02:04 AM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Drew Champlin ‏@DrewChamplin
Reedley (Calif.) College DB Rolan Milligan Jr. making official visit to UAB this weekend. Originally from Lake Wales, Fla

@iBALLinNikes: Tripping to #UAB #Blazers blessed to have a second chance
Desman Carter
Juco safety in Cali

@AndrewJBone: Lee Dufour, offensive lineman from Saraland HS in Ala, receives offer from #UAB. He will visit the Blazers this weekend.

Chistopher Hudson was going to visit, but we pulled his offer.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - scales - 01-31-2014 06:52 AM

(01-30-2014 11:18 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  I want a coach to go get the best options. If he can bring in better players than the last guy did, then I say go for it. Being a nice guy will not keep you from getting fired, but good players will.

Agreed.

Guess what Blazer fans? Chivalry is dead. Let Clark address needs. Let's not worry about the previous staff's broken dreams.

We aren't in a position to worry about any 17 or 18 year olds feelings at this point.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - bladhmadh - 01-31-2014 07:19 AM

(01-31-2014 06:52 AM)scales Wrote:  

Agreed.

Guess what Blazer fans? Chivalry is dead. Let Clark address needs. Let's not worry about the previous staff's broken dreams.

We aren't in a position to worry about any 17 or 18 year olds feelings at this point.

the he shouldn't have made a point about honoring those commitments. if he had said he would review them or just outright withdrew them all I would have no issue with it.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - blazers9911 - 01-31-2014 08:50 AM

Maybe he made a rash decision by saying that. Maybe he actually looked at some of the players and thought WTF was McGee doing? I do agree he shouldn't have said it, but if he's going to have a player come here and do nothing for him, should he be forced to deal with that? We also don't know both sides to these stories. If a player was committed to UAB, but then waivered, maybe coach decided that player was no longer committed. All I know is he is getting out there in this week or two he has to recruit and doing the best he can. He has offered some really good looking players, maybe he'll get some of them to sign. I really want Clark to get the best players he thinks he can at this point.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - 82blazer - 01-31-2014 09:28 AM

There is always two sides to every story. Maybe we pulled the offer maybe not. We may have said we would honor the commitment but you don't fit into our plans so it may be best to look elsewhere. It seemed like all of them decommitted after McGee left anyway.
Sure it is a bad deal for the kid but it happens at every program regardless of a coaching change or not. If the kid is truly good enough he will land somewhere before signing day. We lose kids on signing day to other schools every year
i am more concerned about what McGee was doing since we have offered 3 pretty good defensive players (or at least looks like it) that are 15 minutes from UAB

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - blazers9911 - 01-31-2014 09:44 AM

(01-31-2014 09:28 AM)82blazer Wrote:  There is always two sides to every story. Maybe we pulled the offer maybe not. We may have said we would honor the commitment but you don't fit into our plans so it may be best to look elsewhere. It seemed like all of them decommitted after McGee left anyway.
Sure it is a bad deal for the kid but it happens at every program regardless of a coaching change or not. If the kid is truly good enough he will land somewhere before signing day. We lose kids on signing day to other schools every year
i am more concerned about what McGee was doing since we have offered 3 pretty good defensive players (or at least looks like it) that are 15 minutes from UAB

Me too. It's alarming that we had such a glaring weakness(basically the entire defense) and he seemingly ignored solutions that were nearby and cost nothing to recruit. If he knew he was going to leave long before any of us did, I wonder if he was just going through the motions at that point.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - WesternBlazer - 01-31-2014 10:07 AM

Drew Champlin ‏@DrewChamplin
Terry, MS rb Robert Johnson is visiting UAB this weekend.

HUDL
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/627000/robert-johnson-iv

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - UAB Band Dad - 01-31-2014 10:42 AM

(01-31-2014 09:44 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  If he knew he was going to leave long before any of us did, I wonder if he was just going through the motions at that point.

Ok, I'll beat on McGee's decision making as fast as anybody else, but that's just crazy talk. If anyone but Charlie Strong gets hired at Texas, McGee is still our HC. There is no way in hell he knew Strong would go to Texas, Loserville would be classless enough to rehire Petrino (well, then again, maybe *that* part was predictable), and that he would be able to get the OC job back.

I just think he saw how things were going and when he could flee UAB for a $100k raise he didn't think twice.

And yes, I don't understand how we were not making defense our priority given how bad it has been either.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - blazers9911 - 01-31-2014 10:56 AM

I'm not necessarily saying that McGee knew all those dominoes would fall into place the way they did, but I think we all knew this much: Charlie Strong was a candidate for just about any job at this point. If Texas hired Urban Meyer, Strong probably would have been a candidate at OSU. Same with many other schools throughout the country. Petrino is known for his ethics. My guess is he probably had some off the record talks with folks at Louisville about taking that job again if/when Strong was hired away. We all knew Petrino was not going to stay at WKU. Again, I could see him having off the record conversations with McGee about coming with him wherever he landed next.

I am not saying McGee knew that Petrino was going to fill Strong's position after he left for Texas. I am saying it's possible that McGee knew that he was going to leave whenever Petrino landed at his next stop.

RE: Champlin: UAB set for big recruiting weekend under new head coach Bill Clark - BlazrDawg - 01-31-2014 10:58 AM

Terry can carry the load.