CSNbbs
John Neal should be our next HC. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: John Neal should be our next HC. (/thread-671230.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

John Neal should be our next HC. - Hell_Blazer - 01-09-2014 03:05 PM

The peoples choice.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - Blazer88 - 01-09-2014 03:10 PM

Yay for position coaches that haven't been promoted in years

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - the_blazerman - 01-09-2014 03:15 PM

Let's just go ahead & give Jimbo a call.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - UAB?IAB - 01-09-2014 03:17 PM

Seriously, wtf has John Neal done? Besides leaving a coordinators position to become a position coach.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - UAB Band Dad - 01-09-2014 03:31 PM

Or more to the point, why would he leave Oregon, a Top Ten annually of late, Phil Knight's favorite charity, to come coach at UAB?

We love the place, but any logical analysis of the HC job at UAB would have to raise all kinds of caution flags, and he knows it better than most.

I'd love to have him.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - UABslant - 01-09-2014 03:32 PM

I just don't know what John Neal brings to UAB that would turn things around for us.

We need a charismatic, outgoing leader who has connections with high school coaches in our region. We need someone who can tap local businesses for funding. We need someone who can get into the community and talk to people who have money. We need someone who believes in the players we have now, rather than hoping for better recruits down the road.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind someone with the fire of Josh Niblett leading our program... he definitely couldn't do any worse than McGee or Callaway.

What's Jim Hilyer up to these days?

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - B'ham Blazer - 01-09-2014 03:36 PM

(01-09-2014 03:32 PM)UABslant Wrote:  I just don't know what John Neal brings to UAB that would turn things around for us.

We need a charismatic, outgoing leader who has connections with high school coaches in our region. We need someone who can tap local businesses for funding. We need someone who can get into the community and talk to people who have money. We need someone who believes in the players we have now, rather than hoping for better recruits down the road.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't mind someone with the fire of Josh Niblett leading our program... he definitely couldn't do any worse than McGee or Callaway.

Hilyer is a great guy, but he's like 75 years old.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - 82blazer - 01-09-2014 03:38 PM

(01-09-2014 03:32 PM)UABslant Wrote:  I just don't know what John Neal brings to UAB that would turn things around for us.

Coach Neal would fit all of the above criteria. He may have to catch up on the high school coaches but he wouldn't have a problem with that. i think he still comes as far as GA recruiting for Oregon.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - Grammar-Nazi - 01-09-2014 03:39 PM

I wager he's making more as an Oregon assistant than we could pay him as a head coach.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - BlazerPhil - 01-09-2014 03:41 PM

Would you guys leave your current job for a place you used to work, if you knew you would get to be the boss and it would triple your pay and you would get 3 years minimum ?

To sum up the benefits : 9 years of current pay; passed over by current employer for the next step up position for a new man from outside the ranks; regain position on employment curve that has left you behind; a chance reprove yourself as a top guy; and a chance to answer that nagging question in the back of your head, "How would I really do it as a HC "? etc.

And I know Birmingham isn't South Beach or San Diego, but it isn't Reno, Fargo or Detroit either.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - the Dragon - 01-09-2014 03:54 PM

(01-09-2014 03:38 PM)82blazer Wrote:  

Coach Neal would fit all of the above criteria. He may have to catch up on the high school coaches but he wouldn't have a problem with that. i think he still comes as far as GA recruiting for Oregon.

I was going to say that. UABslant said he doesn't know what Neal would bring to the program. Then he went and described what he thinks we need, and it sounds like John Neal! :)

On paper, McGee seemed to be a great hire. He was in a similar position as Jimbo Fisher was 2006 - a hot up and coming assistant. He turned out to lack the characteristics we need. I don't blame Mackin or anyone else. McGee is accountable for himself. So, we'll move on.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - UAB Band Dad - 01-09-2014 03:56 PM

DHack for QB coach. Zac Woodfin for strength and conditioning. What the hell, we could do worse.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - THE_LEGEND - 01-09-2014 03:58 PM

(01-09-2014 03:36 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  

Bill Snyder is about that age and wins a lot of games

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - Smaug - 01-09-2014 04:00 PM

(01-09-2014 03:58 PM)THE_LEGEND Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 03:36 PM)Bham Blazer Wrote:  

Bill Snyder is about that age and wins a lot of games

Bill Snyder hasn't spent the last 18 years not coaching.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - uab blazer 01 - 01-09-2014 04:07 PM

We can't go unproven assistants route again. Mcgee and that God awful moustache made it clear very early he would jump ship as soon as he was given a dollar more... most people assumed he would have won more than a couple of games when he left.

IMO we need to go retread route or hire someone with uab connections ie John Neal. Maybe even a d2 coach but a high school coach for d1 head coach would be laughable.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - demiveeman - 01-09-2014 04:07 PM

(01-09-2014 03:54 PM)the Dragon Wrote:  On paper, McGee seemed to be a great hire. He was in a similar position as Jimbo Fisher was 2006 - a hot up and coming assistant. He turned out to lack the characteristics we need. I don't blame Mackin or anyone else. McGee is accountable for himself. So, we'll move on.

He was not in the same position as Jimbo Fisher.

Jimbo Fisher was an assistant that actually called plays on offense as a coordinator under 2 different successful head coaches and on 2 national championship teams.

McGee was a freshman hot-head QB that got busted for theft and got taken under the wing of Petrino and followed him around ever since, never calling plays or being an actual full-blown offensive coordinator.

Completely different scenario actually.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - Memphis Blazer - 01-09-2014 04:08 PM

Everybody loved his mustache when he was hired. Even had his own twitter account. Did the mustache have a buyout too?

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - Memphis Blazer - 01-09-2014 04:10 PM

(01-09-2014 04:07 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 03:54 PM)the Dragon Wrote:  On paper, McGee seemed to be a great hire. He was in a similar position as Jimbo Fisher was 2006 - a hot up and coming assistant. He turned out to lack the characteristics we need. I don't blame Mackin or anyone else. McGee is accountable for himself. So, we'll move on.

He was not in the same position as Jimbo Fisher.

Jimbo Fisher was an assistant that actually called plays on offense as a coordinator under 2 different successful head coaches and on 2 national championship teams.

McGee was a freshman hot-head QB that got busted for theft and got taken under the wing of Petrino and followed him around ever since, never calling plays or being an actual full-blown offensive coordinator.

Completely different scenario actually.

Talk about cheap shots. Bringing up his youth now is classless.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - uab blazer 01 - 01-09-2014 04:10 PM

Maybe the moustache was calling plays.

RE: John Neal should be our next HC. - demiveeman - 01-09-2014 04:11 PM

(01-09-2014 03:56 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  DHack for QB coach. Zac Woodfin for strength and conditioning. What the hell, we could do worse.

Before McGee left, he promoted Bryan Ellis to QB Coach. One of the best moves he ever made. Shame it probably won't stick.