CSNbbs
Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN (/thread-669860.html)

Pages: 1 2

Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - Memphis Blazer - 01-01-2014 07:36 PM

Temple is 5-5. Rutgers is 6-7.
Temples RPI is 126. Rutgers is 243.

Do we want Temple to win to make our loss look better, or do we want Rutgers to win to make our win look better.

Or do we want to watch to complain about their attendance.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - BamaScorpio69 - 01-01-2014 07:47 PM

Feeling your snarky self today I see.....lol.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - LairDweller - 01-01-2014 07:55 PM

I would say Temple. There's no chance that Rutgers will win enough for them to be considered a good win. On the other hand, Temple could possibly win enough to get them out of the bad loss (sub-100) category.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - Memphis Blazer - 01-01-2014 08:04 PM

Bytheway, New Mexico has dropped out of the RPI top 25. We are now 1-1 vs top 25 with LSU and North Carolina and 1-1 vs the 51-100 with Nebraska and New Mexico

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - Memphis Blazer - 01-01-2014 08:48 PM

Tied at 30 at halftime. Most amazing thing about this game is that Jim Burr is still officiating games.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - KevMo4UAB - 01-01-2014 09:01 PM

(01-01-2014 08:48 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Tied at 30 at halftime. Most amazing thing about this game is that Jim Burr is still officiating games.

I wonder if Bill Burr is his brother?

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - Memphis Blazer - 01-01-2014 09:17 PM

(01-01-2014 09:01 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 08:48 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Tied at 30 at halftime. Most amazing thing about this game is that Jim Burr is still officiating games.

You obviously have never seen Jim Burr. If they were related, Jim Burr is his great grandfather. He is the worst referee ever. He is about 90 years old and way too old to be calling games.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - FNblazer - 01-01-2014 09:33 PM

Speaking of bad referees, Ted Valentine made his presence more than known on Sunday vs Alabama A&M.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - the_blazerman - 01-01-2014 10:36 PM

Aaron Burr (while eating peanut butter)

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - KevMo4UAB - 01-02-2014 07:09 AM

Rutgers 71 - Temple 66

Attendance - 3,842

Temple has gone 2-3 since beating UAB, including a loss to Texas Southern.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - blazers9911 - 01-02-2014 08:42 AM

(01-02-2014 07:09 AM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  Rutgers 71 - Temple 66

Attendance - 3,842

Temple has gone 2-3 since beating UAB, including a loss to Texas Southern.

Yeah. That's about the end of Temple staying out of the bad loss category. They have an opportunity for some good wins still, but they have some bad losses that aren't going to go away.(that's 5 100+ losses, and 2 200+ for them now)

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - BlazerMatt - 01-02-2014 09:11 AM

The object of the game is to put the ball in the basket, and that's something we are pretty bad at. Last time I looked we were ranked in the 280's nationally in field goal percentage, worse than that at shooting the 3. While that gives you an opportunity to collect a lot of rebounds, it doesn't make for an elite basketball team.

I enjoy watching the guys play. They play with effort, toughness, and a force of will that we have been missing from around here for a while. I'm glad conference play is nearly here and look forward to watching our guys compete. To be honest though. I think we should save ourselves some angst and quite worrying about bad losses, good wins and RPI rankings. We are much better than we were a year ago, but still not quite NCAA tourney at-large level. We either win the conference tourney and get in, or we don't. I plan on enjoying the ride.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - blazers9911 - 01-02-2014 09:22 AM

That's very true Matt. I don't know why we can't shoot the ball this year, because we have some guys who can shoot. Faz, Swing, Williams, and especially Rucker are shooting worse than they were last year. I could live with that if there was more pressure on them, but there should be less pressure with 2 very effective scorers added to the mix. Our bench is also fairly unproductive up to this point. If we had a true PG, I think this could be a very different team, but that just won't happen this year. Hopefully we can fight hard enough to earn a top 4 seed in the tournament, and find a way to win it from there.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - KevMo4UAB - 01-02-2014 09:23 AM

(01-02-2014 09:11 AM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  The object of the game is to put the ball in the basket, and that's something we are pretty bad at. Last time I looked we were ranked in the 280's nationally in field goal percentage, worse than that at shooting the 3. While that gives you an opportunity to collect a lot of rebounds, it doesn't make for an elite basketball team.

I enjoy watching the guys play. They play with effort, toughness, and a force of will that we have been missing from around here for a while. I'm glad conference play is nearly here and look forward to watching our guys compete. To be honest though. I think we should save ourselves some angst and quite worrying about bad losses, good wins and RPI rankings. We are much better than we were a year ago, but still not quite NCAA tourney at-large level. We either win the conference tourney and get in, or we don't. I plan on enjoying the ride.

+1

However, I still enjoy looking at the numbers. Like you, I believe UAB is not going to the big dance unless it wins the conference tourney.

I agree with your assessment of UAB's poor shooting percentages. Although we rarely cause turnovers while on defense, we defend quite well and keep our opponents' shooting percentages down as well.

UAB is last (351) in turnover percentage while playing defense. LAST!

ESPN still has UAB as the number 1 rebounding team in the nation at 48.4 per game.

Pomeroy has UAB as the 3rd best offensive rebounding team in the nation, based on the percentage of OR per possession. If we are going to miss shots, it's advantageous to get the rebounds and try again,

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - Memphis Blazer - 01-02-2014 09:26 AM

Many of the misses have been layups too.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - BamaScorpio69 - 01-02-2014 10:06 AM

(01-02-2014 09:22 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  That's very true Matt. I don't know why we can't shoot the ball this year, because we have some guys who can shoot.

Maybe UAB don't have guys that can shoot. It's one thing to make them in practice but an entirely different matter to make them in a game. Rucker has never been a good shooter. Never thought of Williams has a good shooter. Swing needs to learn how to shoot within the rhythm of the offense. CJ has taken a step back but he has the ability to be the additional shooter we need to help Frazier with the scoring load.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - LairDweller - 01-02-2014 10:24 AM

(01-01-2014 09:17 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(01-01-2014 09:01 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  

You obviously have never seen Jim Burr. If they were related, Jim Burr is his great grandfather. He is the worst referee ever. He is about 90 years old and way too old to be calling games.

reminds me of my favorite gary sanders line ever (which i bring up a couple times a year). paraphrase:
hes a very experienced referee…doesn't mean he's good, just means he's old

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - blazers9911 - 01-02-2014 10:29 AM

Rob shot 43.7% from the field last year and 36.8% from 3 last year. This year he's at 41.7% and 29.0%, with the shots and minutes being almost identical.

Swing was 46.7% and 35.9% last year, this year it's 43.2% and 33.3% while taking about 4 fewer shots per game.

Rucker was at 48.0% last year, this year he's at 37.1% while taking about 3 fewer shots per game.

Faz was at 47.4% and is not at 46.1% while shooting about the same amount as last year.

I know Swing and Rob weren't lighting the world on fire last year, but those were respectable numbers. I'm with you on Rucker, he is not a very good shooter, and he gets a lot of garbage points based on hustle plays.(there is nothing wrong with this) Faz has a solid offensive game in my opinion, I wouldn't mind if we tried to run more sets through him and Mehinti, if for nothing else than trying to get the other team's bigs in foul trouble. I can tell Rideau is probably the best pure shooter on the team, he just hasn't caught up to D-1 basketball yet. Frazier is a good shooter, he just takes bad shots and turns the ball over. Washington is a very good shooter, outside of his work on the FT line.

There are shooters here. Like I said, it's pretty inexplicable how all these guys have had their percentages go down this year, when there is now more help around them.(except for Rucker, his can be explained a little bit) I feel like this team has the potential to shoot 40-45% on any given night, and if we can do that on a regular basis we should finish at or near the top of the conference.

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - Pavy78 - 01-02-2014 12:51 PM

(01-01-2014 10:36 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  Aaron Burr (while eating peanut butter)

03-lmfao

RE: Temple at Rutgers 7pm ESPN - The Answer UAB - 01-02-2014 02:58 PM

We are the best team in CUSA IMO. If we don't win the conference, especially with our tougher games at home, ill be disappointed. The tourney is a different beast, as anyone can get hot. However, over the whole conference season, I think we should be the team standing at the top.