CSNbbs
Bird man detailed story - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Bird man detailed story (/thread-660239.html)

Bird man detailed story - HuskieJohn - 11-12-2013 10:16 AM

Really detailed long read but more importantly it seem he was clean (enough) at NIU.

http://bit.ly/1eHHgP0

RE: Bird man detailed story - 7 - 11-12-2013 10:41 AM

The entire situation is weird. I think everyone who followed him at NIU knew he wasn't an angel, but yeah.

RE: Bird man detailed story - HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN - 11-12-2013 10:54 AM

This is very sad. Sam was an excellent player. I still remember how well he did at the Wisconsin game his freshman year.

RE: Bird man detailed story - klake87 - 11-12-2013 11:11 AM

He was dealing. I doubt he was as big a dealer as he bragged about. Sad that he put his family in jepardy.

RE: Bird man detailed story - NIU75 - 11-12-2013 11:22 AM

He has a chance for life in a hell hole for this? There are bigger dealers walking on every corner in Chicago and parts of DeKalb.
Great read but something is missing.

From the SI story:
Hurd also recalls that Tyrone was out of prison during Thanksgiving break one year when Hurd was still at NIU. Tyrone gave him two pounds of weed to take back to school. “He said it was Lime Green [hydroponic marijuana],” Hurd says, “but it ended up being [inferior] Mexico Brown.” Still, it was better than anything in DeKalb, Ill., so Hurd and his teammates hoarded and smoked it contentedly.

RE: Bird man detailed story - HuskieRak - 11-12-2013 12:48 PM

(11-12-2013 11:22 AM)NIU75 Wrote:  He has a chance for life in a hell hole for this? There are bigger dealers walking on every corner in Chicago and parts of DeKalb.
Great read but something is missing.

From the SI story:
Hurd also recalls that Tyrone was out of prison during Thanksgiving break one year when Hurd was still at NIU. Tyrone gave him two pounds of weed to take back to school. “He said it was Lime Green [hydroponic marijuana],” Hurd says, “but it ended up being [inferior] Mexico Brown.” Still, it was better than anything in DeKalb, Ill., so Hurd and his teammates hoarded and smoked it contentedly.

Yea but they're smart enough to not get caught. Let him rot. Just for his stupidity.

RE: Bird man detailed story - HuskieFootball Addict - 11-12-2013 04:11 PM

This just makes me sad. I loved watching Sam Hurd play...and we were so proud to see him in the NFL. Such an opportunity wasted...for him and his family. He has a couple kids.

It's just...sad.

RE: Bird man detailed story - Who You Crappin'? - 11-12-2013 04:44 PM

Unreal. I don't know how you show him much mercy. Pretty damning stuff. Sad.

RE: Bird man detailed story - DeadMoney16 - 11-12-2013 05:06 PM

(11-12-2013 04:44 PM)Who You Crappin? Wrote:  Unreal. I don't know how you show him much mercy. Pretty damning stuff. Sad.

Yeah I didn't come away with a real good feeling on how this will end for him. Everyone he came in contact with in that 'line of work' has sold him out, including convicted felons to save their own asses (which sucks).

Really sad.

RE: Bird man detailed story - Huskiealum06 - 11-12-2013 05:19 PM

New to the board, but big Huskie supporter and an NIU alum. I had conversations with hurd in his time at NIU at various parties and he was truly very personable, grounded and very recognizable around campus. Truly to bad, I think he was overly nieve and let his NFL status make him think he was invincible to the law. BEAT BSU!!!!

RE: Bird man detailed story - sterling1man - 11-12-2013 05:23 PM

Very sad. Did he ever come back to NIU during his NFL days?

RE: Bird man detailed story - HuskieRak - 11-12-2013 05:24 PM

(11-12-2013 05:06 PM)DeadMoney16 Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 04:44 PM)Who You Crappin? Wrote:  Unreal. I don't know how you show him much mercy. Pretty damning stuff. Sad.

Yeah I didn't come away with a real good feeling on how this will end for him. Everyone he came in contact with in that 'line of work' has sold him out, including convicted felons to save their own asses (which sucks).

Really sad.

Career criminals vs. a wannabe.

RE: Bird man detailed story - GOONSQUAD41 - 11-12-2013 10:10 PM

Our justice system is a joke. Guys like Bird and Darryl Henley should be telling other college kids/rookie NFL players their stories not spending life in jail bc he took a free kilo of blow. The affidavit says that the undercover agents were human traffic agents. They needed to get something nice for their resume so they hand a guy a kilo of blow when the guy haven't bought anything ever and have no proof of anything. They had wire taps on him for months and found NOTHING. So they get an small timer to call bird and make a deal happen so bird can get his money back which they had.

A terrible decision by Bird but why did the cops force this? Go get bad guys who kill people, sell crack, and recruit teenagers into gangs. What is the intent and how would he distribute? Terrible job by the "homeland security" and the "war on drugs". I actually agree with DOJ Eric Holder for the first time ever lol!

RE: Bird man detailed story - NIU32 - 11-12-2013 11:37 PM

every thread become instantly better when GOONSQUAD41 chimes in!

RE: Bird man detailed story - NIU05 - 11-13-2013 12:00 AM

(11-12-2013 10:10 PM)GOONSQUAD41 Wrote:  Our justice system is a joke. Guys like Bird and Darryl Henley should be telling other college kids/rookie NFL players their stories not spending life in jail bc he took a free kilo of blow. The affidavit says that the undercover agents were human traffic agents. They needed to get something nice for their resume so they hand a guy a kilo of blow when the guy haven't bought anything ever and have no proof of anything. They had wire taps on him for months and found NOTHING. So they get an small timer to call bird and make a deal happen so bird can get his money back which they had.

A terrible decision by Bird but why did the cops force this? Go get bad guys who kill people, sell crack, and recruit teenagers into gangs. What is the intent and how would he distribute? Terrible job by the "homeland security" and the "war on drugs". I actually agree with DOJ Eric Holder for the first time ever lol!

+1 ...BS type of investigation. Eric Holder is prosecuting the case, he could call off the dogs in HIS department.

RE: Bird man detailed story - The Frisky Biscuit - 11-13-2013 02:26 AM

(11-12-2013 10:10 PM)GOONSQUAD41 Wrote:  Our justice system is a joke. Guys like Bird and Darryl Henley should be telling other college kids/rookie NFL players their stories not spending life in jail bc he took a free kilo of blow. The affidavit says that the undercover agents were human traffic agents. They needed to get something nice for their resume so they hand a guy a kilo of blow when the guy haven't bought anything ever and have no proof of anything. They had wire taps on him for months and found NOTHING. So they get an small timer to call bird and make a deal happen so bird can get his money back which they had.

Yeah, Hurd deserves to be punished for what he did but the way he's being prosecuted is just ridiculous.

Not to get too political or anything, but the drug war is complete joke/farce. My favorite Onion headline of all time is "Drugs win Drug War."

RE: Bird man detailed story - HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN - 04-24-2022 11:21 AM

A little over 3 years until he finally gets out on 05/17/2025.

RE: Bird man detailed story - HawaiiToNIU - 04-24-2022 11:31 AM

(04-24-2022 11:21 AM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  A little over 3 years until he finally gets out on 05/17/2025.

Is there a good behavior special? Or maybe some of these favorable laws will set him free earlier?

RE: Bird man detailed story - BDB5yp - 04-24-2022 07:50 PM

This story is wild. He was trying to be El Chapo of Chicago. Ruined his life for a cheap thrill 03-banghead

RE: Bird man detailed story - Dtownboys - 04-24-2022 10:54 PM

(04-24-2022 07:50 PM)BDB5yp Wrote:  This story is wild. He was trying to be El Chapo of Chicago. Ruined his life for a cheap thrill 03-banghead

He was on the road to ruining his life while at NIU too. Was happy for him when he made the NFL and thought he’d turned his life around. Was dealing while at NIU and was supplying other players. Don’t know if people recall the fight he was in before the Michigan game and what caused it. That started after he put something in a girls drink. Never was a good guy.