CSNbbs
ECU and the SEC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: ECU and the SEC (/thread-6580.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: ECU and the SEC - kyankees07 - 06-07-2007 10:01 AM

I don't think the SEC will ever expand or got rid of a school, so ECU is out of the conversation. And I think going 7-6 in C-USA and then bringing that to the SEC is bad for your school, because bowl appearances would be a rarity. If we WERE to expand however and take out of C-USA, I would take Southern Mississippi, who we played last year, or Memphis, with a top-notch basketball program. If you are looking for BCS eligibility though, I think the BCS is great for you guys since they are looking forward to a 9th football team and possible FB-BB split.

RE: ECU and the SEC - kyankees07 - 06-07-2007 10:10 AM

If we could take 1 team out of a conference I would pick-

ACC-Georgia Tech
PAC 10-Region limits
Big 10-Region limits
Big East-Louisville/USF
Big 12-Texas A&M
CUSA-Memphis/Southern Mississippi
Sun Belt-Troy
Mountain West-TCU
WAC-Region limits
MAC-Region limits

Just IMO

RE: ECU and the SEC - ecu92 - 07-03-2007 03:56 PM

I'm an ECU diehard, but I think this thread is ridiculous. ECU will be in CUSA until it breaks apart...and then it will form a league with schools like USM, Marshall, UCF, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, UAB, and whoever else we can bribe.

As long as we're talking about stuff that ain't gonna happen....the SEC should expand to 14, taking WVU and UNC. That's right, I said UNC....

UNC is the ACC's centerpiece program. If they leave the ACC, that league would be marginalized severely and wouldn't be a top 4 league anymore in football or basketball. To get UNC, however, you might also have to take NC State rather than WVU. Geographically, it would make sense.

RE: ECU and the SEC - JMSTiger - 08-03-2007 03:20 AM

ecu92 Wrote:I'm an ECU diehard, but I think this thread is ridiculous. ECU will be in CUSA until it breaks apart...and then it will form a league with schools like USM, Marshall, UCF, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee, UAB, and whoever else we can bribe.

As long as we're talking about stuff that ain't gonna happen....the SEC should expand to 14, taking WVU and UNC. That's right, I said UNC....

UNC is the ACC's centerpiece program. If they leave the ACC, that league would be marginalized severely and wouldn't be a top 4 league anymore in football or basketball. To get UNC, however, you might also have to take NC State rather than WVU. Geographically, it would make sense.

Don't be so negative! There is always the Ivy League!

RE: ECU and the SEC - JMSTiger - 11-25-2007 05:47 AM

Any new information about ECU to the SEC? If not the SEC, ECU should do all they can to get into the Big East. ECU and Holy Cross would make great additions to the Big East.

RE: ECU and the SEC - EvilVodka1 - 06-02-2008 04:35 PM

Why would the SEC expand?

Easy. Markets for their new TV network: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/05/30/sec.network.ap/index.html

And what market would the SEC love to get their hands on?

IMO, it would be Houston -- 4th largest city in the U.S.

Of course, Texas and Texas A&M would be courted, but Texas is snooty about academics and would decline, and A&M isn't about to jump to the SEC by themselves

so the University of Houston would probably land in the SEC West division

This would require a team be added to the SEC East...Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia Tech would all be mentioned, and probably courted as well, but they'd decline (VT would think long and hard, but would stick with Virginia)

After that crop of schools, Louisville, West Virginia, and East Carolina might pop into the conversation, but none really bring much of a market...& whats the point of having Louisville, when you've already got Kentucky?

That would leave West Virginia and East Carolina, and East Carolina is in a state thats contiguous to the other SEC teams...

So anyways, I don't think its completely unplausable for East Carolina to one day be invited to the SEC...but East Carolina is certainly NOT the first direction the SEC would look for expansion

And this entire speculative scenario is based on the idea that the SEC would be interested in new markets for a TV network, and want an SEC flag planted in Houston

RE: ECU and the SEC - EvilVodka1 - 06-02-2008 04:46 PM

templefootballfan Wrote:SEC would proabbly like Tex & NC or Tex & Tex A&M.
B-10 TV market is 65 million, ACC is 60 million, SEC is 55 million.
Even if SEC decided on Hous & Mia[Fla]. the 11 million boast would give the SEC bigger TV market than the B-10

Also, what people need to remember, is that academics also play a part...there's no way schools like Texas or North Carolina are going to join the SEC

The only ACC school that might take a long look would be Virginia Tech, but no way are they going to shaft Virginia after the ACC expansion intervention that brought the Hokies onboard in the ACC

Expansion for the SEC would likely either come from the Big East or non-BCS schools, and schools that are are within the SEC footprint aren't going to get invited

RE: ECU and the SEC - C2__ - 06-15-2008 12:01 AM

EvilVodka1 Wrote:Why would the SEC expand?

Easy. Markets for their new TV network: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/05/30/sec.network.ap/index.html

And what market would the SEC love to get their hands on?

IMO, it would be Houston -- 4th largest city in the U.S.

Of course, Texas and Texas A&M would be courted, but Texas is snooty about academics and would decline, and A&M isn't about to jump to the SEC by themselves

so the University of Houston would probably land in the SEC West division

This would require a team be added to the SEC East...Florida State, Clemson, and Virginia Tech would all be mentioned, and probably courted as well, but they'd decline (VT would think long and hard, but would stick with Virginia)

After that crop of schools, Louisville, West Virginia, and East Carolina might pop into the conversation, but none really bring much of a market...& whats the point of having Louisville, when you've already got Kentucky?

That would leave West Virginia and East Carolina, and East Carolina is in a state thats contiguous to the other SEC teams...

So anyways, I don't think its completely unplausable for East Carolina to one day be invited to the SEC...but East Carolina is certainly NOT the first direction the SEC would look for expansion

And this entire speculative scenario is based on the idea that the SEC would be interested in new markets for a TV network, and want an SEC flag planted in Houston

And it's almost happened a few times throughtout history. UH applied (and was rejected) in the 50's. I saw a newspaper article from the 60's that showed the SEC being interested in Florida State and Houston, both independents (and UH had a top 10 team in TWO major sports). Foolishly, Houston went to the SWC instead.

Then of course, there was the late 80's and early 90's. Amazing how Houston didn't land in the SEC OR Big 12 for that matter.

RE: ECU and the SEC - JMSTiger - 12-23-2008 06:33 PM

Any more rumors on ECU to the SEC? I would expect an announcement soon.

RE: ECU and the SEC - gosports1 - 12-24-2008 11:45 AM

Just 4 short months and this thread will be going for 5 years! We can do it!

Stir it up bit.
Missouri to B10
Arkansas to B12
SEC and BE conspire to bring down their arch nemesis the ACC
SEC expands to 14 invites Clemson,FSU and (?) Ga tech i dont think the NC schools would budge
BE splits they go to 12, BC Maryland,Memphis and ECU
That leaves the ACC with 7, keeps them out of Georgia and south carolina and limits them to one in florida. They're out of the Northeast, making them (mostly) a Virginia/North Carolina conference. Gives the BE presence in the heart of the ACC ,North Carolina.

The BCS already has a southern based conference in the SEC it can survive without the ACC . The new BE would secure a primarily North Eastern conference. The 6 bcs slot could go to the Mt West (a good geographic fit between california and the plain states)

CRAZY I know

RE: ECU and the SEC - hawghiggs - 12-25-2008 07:06 PM

The SEC would expand but first the NCAA would need to chang its rules on divisions playing crossover games. if they got rid of the rule and divisions did not have to play each other during the season then I could see the SEC expanding

East division
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3.Tennesee
4. Vandy
6. South Carolina
7. Alabama
8. Auburn
9. North Carolina
10. North Carolina state

West divison
1. Arkansas
2.LSU
3.Texas
4.Texas A&M
5. Texas Tech
6. Baylor
7. Oklahoma
8. Okie state
9. Ole Miss
10. Miss. state

RE: ECU and the SEC - Fo Shizzle - 01-02-2009 10:13 PM

(12-23-2008 06:33 PM)JMSTiger Wrote:  Any more rumors on ECU to the SEC? I would expect an announcement soon.

This whole thread just plain silly....ECU is NOT going anywhere. Being a Pirate fan is never easy...but...is always fun. Respect is earned...not given. We have a long way to go before respect is earned.

RE: ECU and the SEC - JMSTiger - 01-24-2009 10:37 PM

(01-02-2009 10:13 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(12-23-2008 06:33 PM)JMSTiger Wrote:  Any more rumors on ECU to the SEC? I would expect an announcement soon.

This whole thread just plain silly....ECU is NOT going anywhere. Being a Pirate fan is never easy...but...is always fun. Respect is earned...not given. We have a long way to go before respect is earned.

Don't be so negative. The SEC needs a 13th member! Why not ECU?

RE: ECU and the SEC - gosports1 - 02-04-2009 02:03 PM

lets bring this bad boy into the month of february! Getting closer to the 5th year anniversary of this thread.

ECU would be great for the SEC. It would finally give the conference a member in No Carolina the only southeastern state they dont have a member! (Im considering virginia more of a mid atlantic state than southeastern in this situation)02-13-banana

RE: ECU and the SEC - rodtheman - 02-21-2009 12:05 PM

The panic and disruption caused by the entry of ECU into the SEC from the crybabies at unc and ncsu would be worth all the effort.

RE: ECU and the SEC - gosports1 - 03-04-2009 03:22 PM

The 5th birthday of this thread is a month and a half away on april 20th! WHo would thought that on that fine spring day in 2004 that this would last so long?
ECU TO THE SEC!
ARKANSAS TO THE B12!
MISSOURI or NEBRASKA TO THE B10!
05-stirthepot

RE: ECU and the SEC - 10thMountain - 03-09-2009 07:10 AM

This is one of the most impressive Zombie Threads I've ever seen but seriously ECU, what crack are you smoking?

If the SEC ever went to 14, they would have to take two programs that would make the pie a lot bigger rather than just dividing the same pie another 2 ways. ECU does not fit that bill.

The only two programs that would fit the bill would be for them to grab Texas and Oklahoma. It would make the SEC the most profitable and powerful league in the NCAA and destroy the Big 12 as competitor in one single shot.

RE: ECU and the SEC - gosports1 - 04-02-2009 07:37 AM

I'd rather see the SEC. should they expand to 14, go after 2 or 3(if arkansas went to the b12) ACC schools and weaken that conference.
Then the BE could bring BC and miami home and maybe court Maryland thus striking a severe blow to the ACC

RE: ECU and the SEC - templefootballfan - 04-19-2009 09:05 AM

Eventally, somebody goes to 14 or 16. In how long is the ?.
If Tex keeps saying no, because of acadamics.
SEC might look at at any combination of
Tex A&M - Va Tech
Okla - NCST
Hous - Mia

RE: ECU and the SEC - goodknightfl - 04-19-2009 10:35 AM

The big 10 is going to want to improve fla recruiting .. so will take UCF to get the 6th largest university in the country. .. The SEC wanting to maintain southern dominance.. will take FSU, and Texas.. The Big 12 will add TCU.. and the ACC will take Cuse, .. to buddy up with BC.. ECU while being heartbroken the sec didnt take them will accept a BE fb only bid along with Memphis who recieves full membership. NBE then has 16 for bb.. and 9 for football.