CSNbbs
ECU and the SEC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: ECU and the SEC (/thread-6580.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: ECU and the SEC - He1nousOne - 11-17-2013 04:48 PM

(11-17-2013 03:05 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  
(11-16-2013 09:48 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  
(11-16-2013 08:58 PM)john01992 Wrote:  ecu & georgia for a bowl game???????

whatever you are smoking i want it

Well smart guy, with Georgia's loss tonight it's not a stretch to think they could fall to the Liberty. They did get beat by UCF there a few years ago.

^^ This... Nashville is begging for SEC teams not named Vandy to come to the LB and praying EC gets the bid. Noone in the current pool of eligible teams will bring more money to the city, restaurants, and hotels than a combination of ECU + Ole miss or UGA.

I would love to see ECU be able to stay in the mix with a strong SEC team like Georgia. I would absolutely watch that game.

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 11-18-2013 09:40 AM

(11-17-2013 04:48 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Well smart guy, with Georgia's loss tonight it's not a stretch to think they could fall to the Liberty. They did get beat by UCF there a few years ago.

^^ This... Nashville is begging for SEC teams not named Vandy to come to the LB and praying EC gets the bid. Noone in the current pool of eligible teams will bring more money to the city, restaurants, and hotels than a combination of ECU + Ole miss or UGA.

I would love to see ECU be able to stay in the mix with a strong SEC team like Georgia. I would absolutely watch that game.

I was thinking maybe Ole Miss v ECU in Nashville.

RE: ECU and the SEC - bigblueblindness - 11-18-2013 10:37 PM

(11-18-2013 09:40 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

I was thinking maybe Ole Miss v ECU in Nashville.

Economically, we would be very happy with that match-up. Vandy is the worst possible team to make that bowl.

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 11-18-2013 10:39 PM

ECU should have beaten a pretty good Arkansas team (they only lost to #1 Florida by 3 pts that year) at the Liberty Bowl a few years back. ECU out-gained 'em by 100 yards and held Ryan Mallett & the vaunted Razorback offense to under 300 total yards, 0-13 on third down, and only 10 offensive points in regulation.

Unfortunately, our field goal kicker missed 3 crucial chip shot kicks at the end of regulation & OT (2 of which would have won the game out right and the last would have got us into a 2nd OT). We also tossed them a picked six. Even Mallett's only TD pass was lucky because our CB just slightly misjudged and fell down. Ask any Arkansas fan & I guarantee that they were shocked with how physical our team was. That was an an upper tier SEC caliber defense (particularly the front 7) that ECU had with 3 off the line getting drafted to the NFL that year. I think that only Alabama kept Arkansas in check the way ECU did that season.

Point being, don't underestimate the Pirates' ability to hang with mid level SEC teams.

Just seeing that again makes me feel sick. That was the 2nd year in a row that an SEC team edged us out and kept us from finishing in the top 20 (we were #26 coming into the game after beating Case Keenum & #18 Houston in the C-USA championship game).

RE: ECU and the SEC - ncbeta - 11-19-2013 02:29 AM

Shite. I don't know why I said Nashville... I saw some other poster say it. The LB is in Memphis...Still, I hear they want a team not from Tenn.

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 11-23-2013 07:26 PM

If the SEC really wants a NC rep that fills out their stadium, has a good product on the field, has improving academic ranks, has momentum, and lives and breathes football then ECU is the choice.

Nice to route both of our instate rivals in both of their respective stadiums this year. NCSU scored 2 late TDs to make it look a little more respectable but they know what the deal is. Still, to beat UNC & NCSU in the same year by a combined 38 points feels good even if they are both down this year (although UNC is a win over Duke away from tying them for the division championship).

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/23/3400823/ecu-football-beating-wolfpack.html

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 11-23-2013 07:31 PM

(11-23-2013 07:26 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  If the SEC really wants a NC rep that fills out their stadium, has a good product on the field, has improving academic ranks, has momentum, and lives and breathes football then ECU is the choice.

Nice to route both of our instate rivals in both of their respective stadiums this year. NCSU scored 2 late TDs to make it look a little more respectable but they know what the deal is. Still, to beat UNC & NCSU in the same year by a combined 38 points feels good even if they are both down this year (although UNC is a win over Duke away from tying them for the division championship).

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/11/23/3400823/ecu-football-beating-wolfpack.html

Yep, you guys are having a really good year. But, you have to admit that when Duke is the third best team in the ACC that conference as a whole is putrid. It's Florida State gap, Clemson, bigger gap, Duke, little gap, Miami and then absolutely nothing. And I say that knowing that Miami is the worst three loss team in the country.

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 11-23-2013 07:52 PM

(11-23-2013 07:31 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(11-23-2013 07:26 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  If the SEC really wants a NC rep that fills out their stadium, has a good product on the field, has improving academic ranks, has momentum, and lives and breathes football then ECU is the choice.

Yep, you guys are having a really good year. But, you have to admit that when Duke is the third best team in the ACC that conference as a whole is putrid. It's Florida State gap, Clemson, bigger gap, Duke, little gap, Miami and then absolutely nothing. And I say that knowing that Miami is the worst three loss team in the country.

No question the ACC blows. That's why ECU wants in the SEC. No matter how long a shot it may be we are shooting for the top. The SEC is where real football is played and that's all the Pirates care about. This team returns virtually everybody next season so South Carolina, I hope you're ready for us cause it's gonna be a dogfight next year!

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 11-23-2013 08:29 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24270893/photo-ecu-uses-billboard-to-claim-ownership-of-north-carolina

RE: ECU and the SEC - He1nousOne - 11-23-2013 09:01 PM

(11-23-2013 08:29 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24270893/photo-ecu-uses-billboard-to-claim-ownership-of-north-carolina

That's awesome, congrats on the win. I know it has atleast one NCState poster on the boards, drinking more than his fair share this evening.

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 11-24-2013 02:40 PM

Check out the one handed catch that ECU's Lance Ray (Arkansas transfer) pins to his helmet as he amazingly gets one foot in bounds against NCSU yesterday.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10024404&ex_cid=espnapi_public

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 11-25-2013 08:41 PM

ECU undergoing a new branding initiative.

http://oldhatcreative.com/blog/working-pirates

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 11-26-2013 05:30 AM

See, I think ECU is just burning money to confirm what they already know. First, refer to the school simply as ECU to the point the those initials BECOME the schools name. It'd be no different from TCU, UTEP or SMU in that regard. Second, pick two of the myiad of logos the school has and brand them two the world. Clearly the pirate skull is one (I would add cross cutlasses just below for a great helmet logo), and the other I would pick is the ECU wordmark with the cutlass underneath.

RE: ECU and the SEC - ncbeta - 11-26-2013 03:55 PM

(11-26-2013 05:30 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  See, I think ECU is just burning money to confirm what they already know. First, refer to the school simply as ECU to the point the those initials BECOME the schools name. It'd be no different from TCU, UTEP or SMU in that regard. Second, pick two of the myiad of logos the school has and brand them two the world. Clearly the pirate skull is one (I would add cross cutlasses just below for a great helmet logo), and the other I would pick is the ECU wordmark with the cutlass underneath.

I don't think it's going to be a huge expensive process like some other are suggesting. I think they are essentially doing what you described..

They'll make a few promotional videos
drop the worst of our logos
touch-up the best (when you really look at them they have dated color schemes, etc).
They'll probably keep the Jolly Roger, Skull inside NC, and one other.
and start some new brand as "ECU" instead of East Carolina.

They could move into a new merchandising license with all of this... we are moving to AAC, it would be the perfect timing and excuse to touch up our appearance.

RE: ECU and the SEC - HeartOfDixie - 11-26-2013 06:44 PM

I think part of the answer could be to quit dodging the directional moniker and embrace it. Perception is reality so it works both ways. The perception is one of inferiority currently but it could easily work the other way given the chance.

RE: ECU and the SEC - ncbeta - 11-26-2013 08:14 PM

(11-26-2013 06:44 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  I think part of the answer could be to quit dodging the directional moniker and embrace it. Perception is reality so it works both ways. The perception is one of inferiority currently but it could easily work the other way given the chance.

I agree with this. If we became world beaters year in and year out it and pulled classes full of 4 and 5* recruits, it would be second nature to hear "east carolina" and think "solid program" instead of "oh...directional school."

Staying focused on the task at hand.... SEC affiliation could do that 04-cheers

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 12-25-2013 04:44 PM

10 wins against less than stellar competition is still 10 wins!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=333570151

RE: ECU and the SEC - Zombiewoof - 12-25-2013 08:28 PM

(12-25-2013 04:44 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  10 wins against less than stellar competition is still 10 wins!

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=333570151

Just ask Boise. They developed a whole mythology of greatness based on that model.

RE: ECU and the SEC - nomad2u2001 - 01-04-2014 09:01 PM

(10-31-2013 07:47 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 11:57 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 10:57 AM)Underdog Wrote:  ECU should consider calling itself "Carolina University" (Bit made this suggestion in another thread), which strengthens its image in my opinion. It has the fans and facilities to become an option for the SEC if certain ACC schools are unavailable.

You will find a similar conversation somewher between 2 and 25 pages back on this thread, as well.

I don't like the idea. But unlike what's been discussed, is there a way for ECU to be called Carolina University but keep East in the official name? That may be more suitable for fans... it's an easy transition. We are still East Carolina University, just marketed as Carolina University. on ESPN and sports websites listed as Carolina U. We don't even have to change the fight song...

Examples:
Louisiana State University and agricultural and mechanical college - more commonly known as LSU or Louisiana State
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. Or Rutgers
North Carolina State University at Raleigh, or NC state.

The problem is they drop the end of their names, not the beginning.

The only examples I can think of even close is:

California State university, Fresno - or Fresno State

I hate to bump to say something stupid but, I've always thought the most badass school name is Sewanee: The University of the South. How about some shape or form of East Carolina: The University of the Carolinas. The "Carolinas" may be redundant.

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 01-06-2014 09:59 AM

(01-04-2014 09:01 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 07:47 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 11:57 AM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 10:57 AM)Underdog Wrote:  ECU should consider calling itself "Carolina University" (Bit made this suggestion in another thread), which strengthens its image in my opinion. It has the fans and facilities to become an option for the SEC if certain ACC schools are unavailable.

You will find a similar conversation somewher between 2 and 25 pages back on this thread, as well.

I don't like the idea. But unlike what's been discussed, is there a way for ECU to be called Carolina University but keep East in the official name? That may be more suitable for fans... it's an easy transition. We are still East Carolina University, just marketed as Carolina University. on ESPN and sports websites listed as Carolina U. We don't even have to change the fight song...

Examples:
Louisiana State University and agricultural and mechanical college - more commonly known as LSU or Louisiana State
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. Or Rutgers
North Carolina State University at Raleigh, or NC state.

The problem is they drop the end of their names, not the beginning.

The only examples I can think of even close is:

California State university, Fresno - or Fresno State

I hate to bump to say something stupid but, I've always thought the most badass school name is Sewanee: The University of the South. How about some shape or form of East Carolina: The University of the Carolinas. The "Carolinas" may be redundant.

I'm not sure that would work. I really ECU is more hampered by a crowded market than any other factor.