CSNbbs
ECU and the SEC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: ECU and the SEC (/thread-6580.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 07-01-2013 01:54 PM

(07-01-2013 01:04 PM)auburntigersouthernrock Wrote:  SEC won't be adding anyone else unless its NC State and Virginia Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State or UNC and UVA

ECU would have to upgrade their academics, and Cincy has a longshot chance , but I don't see it happening, Marshall, SMU, Southern Miss and Houston are all out of the question

and according to USA Today Slive isn't really in favor of going to 16 so don't plan on anything happening regarding future realignment unless Slive just feels pressured for two more teams

"In some ways 12 is ideal but at least 14 is sort of a cousin of 12. Sixteen is a distant relative. We're actually still in the process of absorbing both of these schools into our scheduling, particularly on the football side. its hard to absorb one let alone two.

There's been some movement throughout the country but that doesn't really affect us . Even when we were at 12 we weren't looking. Both Texas A&M and Missouri came to us. If they hadn't come to us, im not so sure we wouldn't still be at twelve."

That's good temporary copy by Slive, but the goal is 16. It is just much easier to schedule than 14. We will move to 4 half divisions and rotate them each year. I guess that with 3 half division annual foes and 4 rotating foes, that we will still keep 1 permanent rival and stay at 8 games. 16 also accommodates a 9 game schedule easily.

You've got your teams for expansion down with one exception. I do believe we would consider Kansas if Oklahoma was in play. Kansas adds basketball tradition and is AAU. Jayhawks might not set well with the typical Southerner but they could cover some of our deficits nicely without being a real threat on the gridiron where we are stronger than anyone else anyway.

I see our preferences as: 1. Virginia & North Carolina, 2. Virginia Tech & N.C. State, 3. Oklahoma & Kansas. I seriously doubt we would take two Oklahoma schools. I could even see a compromise with another conference where the SEC would take either Oklahoma or Kansas, and then either Oklahoma State or Kansas State depending upon who the first selection was. If the Big 12 is raided I could even see either Oklahoma or Kansas and West Virginia. But that's about it.

RE: ECU and the SEC - auburntigersouthernrock - 07-01-2013 03:43 PM

(07-01-2013 01:54 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-01-2013 01:04 PM)auburntigersouthernrock Wrote:  SEC won't be adding anyone else unless its NC State and Virginia Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State or UNC and UVA

ECU would have to upgrade their academics, and Cincy has a longshot chance , but I don't see it happening, Marshall, SMU, Southern Miss and Houston are all out of the question

and according to USA Today Slive isn't really in favor of going to 16 so don't plan on anything happening regarding future realignment unless Slive just feels pressured for two more teams

"In some ways 12 is ideal but at least 14 is sort of a cousin of 12. Sixteen is a distant relative. We're actually still in the process of absorbing both of these schools into our scheduling, particularly on the football side. its hard to absorb one let alone two.

There's been some movement throughout the country but that doesn't really affect us . Even when we were at 12 we weren't looking. Both Texas A&M and Missouri came to us. If they hadn't come to us, im not so sure we wouldn't still be at twelve."

That's good temporary copy by Slive, but the goal is 16. It is just much easier to schedule than 14. We will move to 4 half divisions and rotate them each year. I guess that with 3 half division annual foes and 4 rotating foes, that we will still keep 1 permanent rival and stay at 8 games. 16 also accommodates a 9 game schedule easily.

You've got your teams for expansion down with one exception. I do believe we would consider Kansas if Oklahoma was in play. Kansas adds basketball tradition and is AAU. Jayhawks might not set well with the typical Southerner but they could cover some of our deficits nicely without being a real threat on the gridiron where we are stronger than anyone else anyway.

I see our preferences as: 1. Virginia & North Carolina, 2. Virginia Tech & N.C. State, 3. Oklahoma & Kansas. I seriously doubt we would take two Oklahoma schools. I could even see a compromise with another conference where the SEC would take either Oklahoma or Kansas, and then either Oklahoma State or Kansas State depending upon who the first selection was. If the Big 12 is raided I could even see either Oklahoma or Kansas and West Virginia. But that's about it.

I think WVU would be more likely over Kansas, but that's just me

RE: ECU and the SEC - bigblueblindness - 07-01-2013 04:34 PM

WVU more likely over Kansas? Yes, but not preferred by the SEC. Kansas brings AAU status, a decent market, a built in rival in Mizzou, and a true blue blood basketball program (I consider blue bloods to be UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, and UNC. Duke, Louisville, and Michigan St. are close for various reasons, most having to do with showing longevity.) That is not to dog WVU... I still think they would be the #5 preference behind UNC, UVA, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 07-01-2013 09:14 PM

(07-01-2013 04:34 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  WVU more likely over Kansas? Yes, but not preferred by the SEC. Kansas brings AAU status, a decent market, a built in rival in Mizzou, and a true blue blood basketball program (I consider blue bloods to be UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, and UNC. Duke, Louisville, and Michigan St. are close for various reasons, most having to do with showing longevity.) That is not to dog WVU... I still think they would be the #5 preference behind UNC, UVA, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

Yeah, I think many in the Southeast still kind of miss the motives behind the A&M and Mizzou additions. I think clearly that the SEC will be seeking AAU schools first if they can get them and they are reasonably close in fit culturally. I know we've talked about it, but it is why hands down the preference would have been Virginia and North Carolina as opposed to Virginia Tech and N.C. State.

RE: ECU and the SEC - USAFMEDIC - 07-01-2013 09:43 PM

(07-01-2013 04:34 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  WVU more likely over Kansas? Yes, but not preferred by the SEC. Kansas brings AAU status, a decent market, a built in rival in Mizzou, and a true blue blood basketball program (I consider blue bloods to be UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, and UNC. Duke, Louisville, and Michigan St. are close for various reasons, most having to do with showing longevity.) That is not to dog WVU... I still think they would be the #5 preference behind UNC, UVA, Oklahoma, and Kansas.
And thanks to Missouri, Kansas would be a contiguous state with the SEC. We made them legal.04-cheers

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 07-02-2013 08:32 AM

Can we please keep this thread about ECU and our delusional pipe dream to join your mighty conference? LOL!

However, as soon as we win our 1st 3 games (all home games) this year (including VT - Yes book it) & we catapult into the top 20 then we may find a little more support and people will be able to ignore all our warts.

Point is, if we can have several really good seasons in a row & build up our reputation as an academic institution a little more then a pipe dream can turn into merely just a longshot.

You gotta have dreams and you gotta shoot for the stars. Where would all our heroes be if they gave up when everyone else told them they didn't stand a chance. No one has a chance if they don't try.

That is why the SEC is ECU's impossible dream and we won't back down until it is reality.05-mafia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaN8jxAFtDY

RE: ECU and the SEC - Gamecock - 07-02-2013 06:50 PM

(07-02-2013 08:32 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  Can we please keep this thread about ECU and our delusional pipe dream to join your mighty conference? LOL!

However, as soon as we win our 1st 3 games (all home games) this year (including VT - Yes book it) & we catapult into the top 20 then we may find a little more support and people will be able to ignore all our warts.

Point is, if we can have several really good seasons in a row & build up our reputation as an academic institution a little more then a pipe dream can turn into merely just a longshot.

You gotta have dreams and you gotta shoot for the stars. Where would all our heroes be if they gave up when everyone else told them they didn't stand a chance. No one has a chance if they don't try.

That is why the SEC is ECU's impossible dream and we won't back down until it is reality.05-mafia

This thread won't be allowed to die until ECU gets the invite.

RE: ECU and the SEC - USAFMEDIC - 07-03-2013 12:36 PM

(07-02-2013 06:50 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  
(07-02-2013 08:32 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  Can we please keep this thread about ECU and our delusional pipe dream to join your mighty conference? LOL!

This thread won't be allowed to die until ECU gets the invite.
And we reached 100,000 responses....lol04-cheers

RE: ECU and the SEC - blunderbuss - 07-06-2013 02:13 PM

I think we should just brand ourselves ECU and not "East Carolina" for athletic purposes for sure. Look at TCU. Nobody refers to them a "Texas Christian" anymore and everybody in the nation knows TCU. Best thing ECU can do right now is win and dump money into academics as much as possible.

RE: ECU and the SEC - USAFMEDIC - 07-06-2013 03:50 PM

(07-06-2013 02:13 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  I think we should just brand ourselves ECU and not "East Carolina" for athletic purposes for sure. Look at TCU. Nobody refers to them a "Texas Christian" anymore and everybody in the nation knows TCU. Best thing ECU can do right now is win and dump money into academics as much as possible.

Welcome Blunderbuss. You may be right here...

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 07-06-2013 04:17 PM

(07-06-2013 03:50 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(07-06-2013 02:13 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  I think we should just brand ourselves ECU and not "East Carolina" for athletic purposes for sure. Look at TCU. Nobody refers to them a "Texas Christian" anymore and everybody in the nation knows TCU. Best thing ECU can do right now is win and dump money into academics as much as possible.

Welcome Blunderbuss. You may be right here...

Yeah, 10th came up with a cool ECU logo back a few pages in this thread. Check it out.

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 07-07-2013 06:31 PM

I could see East Carolina in an SEC that looked like this:

East: East Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, W. Virginia

Central: Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Miss St., Tennessee, Vanderbilt

West: Arkansas, Kansas State, L.S.U., Missouri, Oklahoma/OSU, Texas A&M

9 Conference Games: 5 divisional, 2 each from the other divisions rotated every year for 3 years to play everyone.

Conference Championships to include the 3 divisional champions and the remaining team with the best conference record.

RE: ECU and the SEC - ncbeta - 07-08-2013 09:15 AM

(07-07-2013 06:31 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I could see East Carolina in an SEC that looked like this:

9 Conference Games: 5 divisional, 2 each from the other divisions rotated every year for 3 years to play everyone.

Conference Championships to include the 3 divisional champions and the remaining team with the best conference record.

How awesome would that be...I'd like to flip UGA and FL for TN and Vandy just from a fans perspective...Might upset the south carolina fans, but they'll just have to embrace their rivals to the north.

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 07-08-2013 02:30 PM

(07-07-2013 06:31 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I could see East Carolina in an SEC that looked like this:

JR,

Your 18 plan isn't that dissimilar to my 15 proposal. Especially the consideration given the 'Bama with the Central division. It's imperative that the Tide get their own division with opponents that will put up with them.

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 07-08-2013 05:00 PM

(07-08-2013 02:30 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

JR,

Your 18 plan isn't that dissimilar to my 15 proposal. Especially the consideration given the 'Bama with the Central division. It's imperative that the Tide get their own division with opponents that will put up with them.

I hadn't thought about it Vandiver, but you are right. Almost two years ago He1nous and I were playing around with the positives of 18. That model provides for better regional groupings, travel savings, can still play everyone in three years, and permits for more rivalries. It also rewards three true divisional champions. Being the best of four still leaves something to be desired compared to a best of 6. And we felt that rewarding the strongest division with a potential wild card slot helped to keep things balanced year to year when the championship rounds begin. We also felt that an East and West semifinal site different from the championship site would enable more fans to participate in the postseason thereby energizing the whole conference rather than just the Atlanta area.

But when you presented 15 it did do essentially the same things. I like an end game number of 72 teams because it is the next wide investment cutoff point for schools spending on athletics. It doesn't seem wise to me to leave Cincinnati or Connecticut or others of their ilk out of the mix and as long as a conference can find profit in their addition then 72 seems more just to me as well.

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 07-10-2013 09:25 AM

Not very well written (it is the campus paper after all) but here's an article about ECU potentially joining the SEC in the not too distant future.

http://theeastcarolinian.com/?p=28423

I think that with several years of recruiting in the SEC, ECU could grow like SC has. ECU has a lot in common with schools like SC, VT & WVU & could flourish like those programs have if given the opportunity.

RE: ECU and the SEC - USAFMEDIC - 07-10-2013 08:49 PM

(07-10-2013 09:25 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  Not very well written (it is the campus paper after all) but here's an article about ECU potentially joining the SEC in the not too distant future.

I think that with several years of recruiting in the SEC, ECU could grow like SC has. ECU has a lot in common with schools like SC, VT & WVU & could flourish like those programs have if given the opportunity.
It's actually a pretty good article with a few good points.

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 07-11-2013 07:57 AM

(07-10-2013 08:49 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 09:25 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  Not very well written (it is the campus paper after all) but here's an article about ECU potentially joining the SEC in the not too distant future.

It's actually a pretty good article with a few good points.

It was very well written especially since it centered on one theme; are there program better than ECU, yes. Will those programs be available anytime in the near future, no.

Now, the SEC could very well choose to wait until various GOR end before making to push beyond 14, at which point ECU's value drops like a rock. Thus the Pirates' must hope that scheduling for a 14 team league proves to be too cumbersome in the interim.

BK, BK

Also Indy, from a university perspective the 3 program you listed as 'peers' are either state flagship or land grant universities. Such designations carry a perceived intrinsic value that ECU lacks.

Of course, while I think ECU would absolutely benefit from membership in the SEC, my issue with the Pirates is where is the TCU/Boise St. type run that would justify getting an SEC Golden Ticket? If C-USA sucks so bad, then why haven't the Pirates dominated the league?

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 07-13-2013 02:19 PM

ECU needs to get back to where we were in the 90s when we had numerous top 25 teams (& one top 10) & beat big time programs on a consistent basis including beating the Gamecocks 4 of 5.

Here's the highlights of the '94 game in Columbia where we dropped 56 on 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGIstYd5qKI (start at 6:35 mark)

Here's highlights of our 2 consecutive wins over Miami when they were ranked #12 & #9 respectively including a 31-6 route in the Orange Bowl & a win at NC State's stadium because a hurricane destroyed Greenville & ECU had to then defeat the Hurricanes in Raleigh. ECU players had to spend the whole week in Columbia practicing after they defeated the Gamecocks 21-3 because they had no houses to go back to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpFUlqkAMAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26VgwuOwUZw

We also had big wins in the 90s over ranked teams like Pitt, NC State, Stanford (Liberty Bowl), WVU, TCU, Louisville, VT, Texas Tech, Syracuse (multiple times including a year where they finished top 15 and beat SEC champ Fla. & another year when Syracuse had McNabb).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxQr7xs5vWs

We have shown glimpses recently beating ranked programs in the past 5 yrs or so like WVU, VT, Boise State, Houston, Tulsa & NC State & 2 conference championships but we have to get more consistent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjpYL-MvlxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QHQ0A8OIwo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVuQB0TARuE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ctVeclinXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCoLrQgfIC8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJIzHsTxQrk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcEZl9hScTw

& just in case you think ECU lacks history here's highlights where we finished 13 points shy of the national title in 1983 with a one point loss @ #7 Fla St., a 7 point loss @ #5 Florida & a 5 point heart breaking loss @ Nat'l champ Miami & road wins over bowl teams like Missouri & NC State to finish the season ranked #20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtIyKXRleY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opYTXXgUBU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beTZV_NhpNE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCjHwzT6JEk

RE: ECU and the SEC - 10thMountain - 07-13-2013 07:24 PM

That's nice and all but none us cast ballots.

It's the SEC presidents who you have to convince and they care about the whole package, not just sports.