CSNbbs
ECU and the SEC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: ECU and the SEC (/thread-6580.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

RE: ECU and the SEC - He1nousOne - 05-13-2013 04:45 PM

(05-12-2013 10:44 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 09:52 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  ECU already has one of the best game day experiences in the nation. I've brought my friends that graduated from Alabama, Texas and FSU & all of them have walked away thoroughly impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFAZ5WJjTJ0

If ECU was in the SEC then selling 80,000 tickets would be a piece of cake.

There is one scenario in which I think the Pirates could have a realistic chance, but much has to happen for this to come about.

1. The Big 12 expands and Texas expresses total commitment to keeping the Big 12 viable and to show that intent they agree to morph the LHN into a Big 12 network that will profit all of the schools of the conference.

2. The ACC has already taken their necessary step with their GOR.

3. The Big 10, SEC, and ACC grow very weary of scheduling 14. Truly 16 is much easier and lends itself to more money by extending the conference championship from one game to two and from two teams to four.

At this point the SEC will be looking for the best possible additions to get to 16. Their reasonable candidates would be South Florida, East Carolina, Cincinnati, and possibly Southern Methodist. This would be the breakdown on those options:

1. South Florida averages over 50 k at their home games and have made great strides in both their academic ratings and in their research spending. The Bulls offer access to a part of the state of Florida that has heretofore been relatively unexploited by most SEC teams. The mid-Gulf Coast will become in a decade or so what Miami once was in the 60's and 70's. As the culture of Miami shifts Central Florida and South Florida will both move way up. While they don't add a market there is much to the upside of this program.

2. East Carolina is a football first school in a state that would add market share to the SEC. While they don't carry the state they average enough in attendance to merit, as you have pointed out, the good chance to draw 80 k. With SEC money they could both enhance their academics and their facilities and could easily overtake N.C. State as a destination of choice for recruits in state. The Pirates have historically produced good athletic programs and could easily compete at the mid-level in sports in the SEC in a relatively short period of adjustment. (Plus Pat Dye came to Auburn from East Carolina).

3. Cincinnati would bring both competitive basketball and football to the SEC and deliver an interesting new market. While from Ohio they are at least as Southern in culture as Louisville. With SEC money the Bearcats would be elevated across the board in athletics in short order and could surpass Ohio as the #2 program in their state. While the idea may be a stretch for many SEC folks in a college football world where ACC and Big 12 targets are off the board Cincinnati would likely be the best first choice.

4. Southern Methodist delivers Houston. They have a 1.1 billion dollar athletic endowment and membership in the SEC would certainly help them to recruit well. The main drawbacks here are in their average attendance which is below 40,000 and in their overall competitiveness in all sports.

Of the remaining choices Tulane left the SEC and I doubt even with much better numbers that they would be considered and three teams from Tennessee is too many so Memphis would not really get a look either. Southern Miss would be deserving but two Mississippi teams would preclude that move and La Tech doesn't have the facilities or crowds. As far as Central Florida is concerned they are more commuter based than USF and that would not work in the Knights favor although they are a promising team. And, while Old Dominion is on the upswing it will be a couple of decades before they could get a serious look. And Tulsa while good is way too small in a state that's too small to consider a private school that small.

If I had to rate the prospects they would be 1. Cincinnati, 2. East Carolina by a hair, 3. South Florida and 4. S.M.U.

But understand that this would only apply in a world where the Big 12 has expanded and bolstered the revenue sharing of their conference. If they don't expand and don't address the economic disparity then I believe future SEC growth will come from there.

Good points but I would differ in opinion on the ratings. 1. East Carolina, 2. SMU, 3. Cincinnati and then a distant 4. South Florida.

1. East Carolina: The SEC really wants in North Carolina, Slive "loves being in North Carolina". If a scenario happens like you portrayed in your post then I don't see how ECU is not the top prospect that the SEC will look at when it comes to Project schools. They have a stadium that fills every game at 55k. It is a stadium built for continuing expansion. They could easily expand it if they knew they were going to be in the SEC. Cincy cant expand their stadium and they would have to play in a pro stadium instead of an on campus stadium. South Florida has the same issue.

2. SMU may have a small stadium now but it is expandable and when it comes to Pro Stadiums, SEC teams actually like scheduling games in the Pro Stadium of the City that SMU is in. They may not be all that great at other sports either but if it comes to expansion in this scenario then it will be COMPLETELY about markets and football. SMU can slowly build the rest with the huge influx of cash that they will be getting from the SEC and from their own boosters that will be extremely excited about SMU football going into the future. SMU and A&M seem to have pretty good relations, they might be the one Texas school that A&M would support for the SEC.

3. Cincy has a major stadium problem and that is a big deal for the SEC. If the SEC is going to try to break into Ohio with Cincy then they would need a Big Show in order to compete with what goes on at The Horseshoe. 33K people watching isnt going to cut it and Cincy really cant expand that. Games in Pro Stadiums for the entire season isn't going to cut it either as the SEC culture is all about the On Campus experience of Game Day. Am I wrong?

4. South Florida? Pro Stadium, Fourth best program in the State and that could actually weaken the perception of the SEC in the State if the ACC had the 2nd and 3rd and the SEC had the 1st and 4th. That is pretty equal where as right now 2nd and 3rd does not equal 1st when it comes to perception. People think of Florida as an SEC state right now. If they took the distant fourth best program in the State then I think the perception across the country could actually change and not for the better in regards to the SEC's position in that vital State that many other SEC programs heavily recruit.

I don't personally see how Cincy and South Florida match up with ECU and SMU.

RE: ECU and the SEC - bitcruncher - 05-13-2013 05:21 PM

IMO USF would quickly surpass Miami with SEC affiliation. The 'canes will be laboring under NCAA penalties for some time, unless the NCAA has totally botched the investigation to the point where Miami gets off scott free...

RE: ECU and the SEC - He1nousOne - 05-13-2013 07:44 PM

(05-13-2013 05:21 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  IMO USF would quickly surpass Miami with SEC affiliation. The 'canes will be laboring under NCAA penalties for some time, unless the NCAA has totally botched the investigation to the point where Miami gets off scott free...

Does the rest of the SEC want a fourth program at that level in the State of Florida where all of them heavily recruit?

RE: ECU and the SEC - bitcruncher - 05-13-2013 08:05 PM

(05-13-2013 07:44 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(05-13-2013 05:21 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  IMO USF would quickly surpass Miami with SEC affiliation. The 'canes will be laboring under NCAA penalties for some time, unless the NCAA has totally botched the investigation to the point where Miami gets off scott free...
Does the rest of the SEC want a fourth program at that level in the State of Florida where all of them heavily recruit?
I doubt it. But that doesn't change the truth of my statement...

RE: ECU and the SEC - bigblueblindness - 05-13-2013 08:07 PM

The best players will typically gravitate toward the best programs. Usually the top program (USC, Texas, Florida) consistently gets the players. TAMU, FSU, Miami, and UCLA get up there, but they rarely equal or surpass that top school in state for an extended period (FSU excluded during their run a while back). The SEC would have taken FSU if they were in defensive mode. They apparently aren't that worried.

RE: ECU and the SEC - USAFMEDIC - 05-13-2013 09:21 PM

(05-13-2013 08:07 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

The best players will typically gravitate toward the best programs. Usually the top program (USC, Texas, Florida) consistently gets the players. TAMU, FSU, Miami, and UCLA get up there, but they rarely equal or surpass that top school in state for an extended period (FSU excluded during their run a while back). The SEC would have taken FSU if they were in defensive mode. They apparently aren't that worried.
I agree to a point, but kids also choose to go to a school with the best chance for them to play. Kentucky just landed that QB because he will probably start there.

RE: ECU and the SEC - He1nousOne - 05-14-2013 06:18 AM

(05-13-2013 09:21 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(05-13-2013 08:07 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

I agree to a point, but kids also choose to go to a school with the best chance for them to play. Kentucky just landed that QB because he will probably start there.

AND he is from Kentucky. He has a chance to start for the Home State team and I am sure he faced considerable pressure to stay closer than South Carolina for multiple reasons.

The same could happen in Florida. Some schools would be affected by South Florida being brought in. South Florida would absolutely see a surge in their recruiting and those would be recruits that might have gone elsewhere in the SEC. Perhaps not as instant starters but all it would take is for South Florida to be competitive after a couple years and Florida kids will start to look at the program differently.

I dont think programs like South Carolina, Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss State want that to happen.

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 05-14-2013 07:09 AM

The NCAA has botched the investigation and the U will get off with minor penalties due to the ridiculous investigation methods used. I know the NCAA not bound by the Constitution, but I don't see ruling that the NCAA could levy thank won't result in a counter-suit from the 'Canes.

I think the real issue though is that Miami is not that interested in competing in CFB at the '90's level like they used to. In a sense, the football team did its job and helped land the Univ. of Miami in the ACC. This provided the academic validation university officials have been looking for ever since the '70's.

Whatever deals that were made to get and retain players in the previous decade are either no longer in effect or pale in comparison to offers from other schools. 'The U' is no longer able to lock down South Florida talent, and it shows on the field and especially in the fact the Miami has not won its division since joining the ACC.

RE: ECU and the SEC - LSUtah - 05-14-2013 09:56 AM

I do not see any circumstance in which USF gets into the SEC. Sure, your point is valid that USF recruiting would improve (of course it would), but why would the "voting block" in the SEC go for that (SC, GA, FL, KY, A&M)? The "voting block" is the group of current single program states that wish to keep it that way and vote in unison. These programs might change their position for a brand like FSU that could add immediate value, but not for a USF.

Besides, the only reason USF's name is even discussed on this board is due to the fact that they were called up by the Big East. Could you imagine where UCF's program would be today if they were called up by the Big East instead? At least they have an on-campus stadium and one of the largest student enrollments in the south.

RE: ECU and the SEC - USAFMEDIC - 05-14-2013 12:26 PM

(05-14-2013 09:56 AM)LSUtah Wrote:  I do not see any circumstance in which USF gets into the SEC. Sure, your point is valid that USF recruiting would improve (of course it would), but why would the "voting block" in the SEC go for that (SC, GA, FL, KY, A&M)? The "voting block" is the group of current single program states that wish to keep it that way and vote in unison. These programs might change their position for a brand like FSU that could add immediate value, but not for a USF.

Besides, the only reason USF's name is even discussed on this board is due to the fact that they were called up by the Big East. Could you imagine where UCF's program would be today if they were called up by the Big East instead? At least they have an on-campus stadium and one of the largest student enrollments in the south.
My gut feeling on all this is that there will be no more expansion unless it comes from Virginia or North Carolina, and that's not looking fruitful now either...

RE: ECU and the SEC - vandiver49 - 05-14-2013 12:59 PM

(05-14-2013 09:56 AM)LSUtah Wrote:  I do not see any circumstance in which USF gets into the SEC. Sure, your point is valid that USF recruiting would improve (of course it would), but why would the "voting block" in the SEC go for that (SC, GA, FL, KY, A&M)? The "voting block" is the group of current single program states that wish to keep it that way and vote in unison. These programs might change their position for a brand like FSU that could add immediate value, but not for a USF.

IMO there is little difference between UCF and USF. And outside of scheduling, there is very little reason for the SEC to expand. We'll see the strength of the GOR in 8-9 years and if the combo of Texas/ESPN/FOX decide to blow it up.

In this I agree with JRSec in the that the current P12 lineup might not provide enough value for FOX to maintain the contractual obligations to the B12. I definitely think some collusion between the two networks could occur in such a way that no one is left behind.

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 05-15-2013 02:51 PM

A rabid fan base alone can get you there if it's rabid enough for long enough. Right now ECU does have to go on a TCU type run & with as much support and backing as the Pirates have, the on field product should steadily improve. There really is no other school outside the P5 with = fan support, save maybe BYU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2uUP_jEd9M

RE: ECU and the SEC - Gamecock - 05-18-2013 10:24 AM

(05-15-2013 02:51 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  A rabid fan base alone can get you there if it's rabid enough for long enough. Right now ECU does have to go on a TCU type run & with as much support and backing as the Pirates have, the on field product should steadily improve. There really is no other school outside the P5 with = fan support, save maybe BYU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2uUP_jEd9M

Just win baby

RE: ECU and the SEC - 10thMountain - 05-19-2013 04:39 PM

winning may not be enough

ECU has to fix their academics too.

I know Pirates don't like to hear that and tend to respond with "SEC academics are a joke!"

To which I reply: the SEC does in fact want to improve its academic image...and how would that goal be helped by taking on what would be the VERY worst academic school in all of the P5 conferences?

Right now the Big 12 has the 2 worst schools with WVU and Texas Tech tied at #165

Taking ECU would make the SEC the owner of the #199 school, tied with a few others for last place.

I can hear you now "but we have a big stadium and love football and are in NC!"

All valid points in your favor and if the decision was made by the SEC ADs, you'd stand a good chance...but the decision is NOT made by athletic directors, it is made by university presidents who tend to be ultra conservative and ultra elitist (its their job).

I simply cant see them voting yes on ECU as they are today.

Now in another decade when ECU is filling a 60K stadium and has pulled even academically with the low tier SEC schools, then that may be a different story.

Use this coming period of stability to keep building and growing.

RE: ECU and the SEC - Indiana Bones - 06-03-2013 03:59 PM

Here's some more ECU propaganda:

People outside the program just don't realize how good of a coach Ruffin McNeill is but they will figure it out soon enough. Despite Holtz's success, he left ECU in bad shape & coach Ruff has kept the ship going in the right direction. 2013 should be a good season w/ at least 10 wins & virtually everyone will return for 2014 which has the making of a very special season. ECU is a favorite to win CUSA this year and will compete for the AAC championship in 2014. Recruiting has continued to get better & better & that trend will continue with coach Ruff recently receiving a 3yr extension.

I don't know if ECU will ever get into the SEC but if the Pirates can win CUSA this year & then win the AAC next year it would be a major step in the right directions. One thing about ECU that true college football fans have to respect is that the Pirate's OOC schedule is always tough & the program has a history of not only being competitive but also rising up and defeating the nations elite every few years. These next 2 seasons could be a couple of the best in school history & if ECU can sprinkle in some big time wins over VT, UNC, NCSU, WVU, and USC like they have in the past, it could be the catalyst to bigger & better things! Momentum is a powerful force!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HR_hXFmPxkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zigaldthg7o

RE: ECU and the SEC - bigblueblindness - 06-03-2013 04:59 PM

(06-03-2013 03:59 PM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  Here's some more ECU propaganda:

People outside the program just don't realize how good of a coach Ruffin McNeill is but they will figure it out soon enough. Despite Holtz's success, he left ECU in bad shape & coach Ruff has kept the ship going in the right direction. 2013 should be a good season w/ at least 10 wins & virtually everyone will return for 2014 which has the making of a very special season. ECU is a favorite to win CUSA this year and will compete for the AAC championship in 2014. Recruiting has continued to get better & better & that trend will continue with coach Ruff recently receiving a 3yr extension.

I don't know if ECU will ever get into the SEC but if the Pirates can win CUSA this year & then win the AAC next year it would be a major step in the right directions. One thing about ECU that true college football fans have to respect is that the Pirate's OOC schedule is always tough & the program has a history of not only being competitive but also rising up and defeating the nations elite every few years. These next 2 seasons could be a couple of the best in school history & if ECU can sprinkle in some big time wins over VT, UNC, NCSU, WVU, and USC like they have in the past, it could be the catalyst to bigger & better things! Momentum is a powerful force!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HR_hXFmPxkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zigaldthg7o

Recent call-ups:

Utah to the PAC - In addition to their recent big time football success, they are a flagship institution with passable academics (120's), filled out a footprint need for the PAC with the Colorado, but were obviously not a first choice. If Texhoma had joined, Utah is probably not in the PAC today. ECU does not have the big time football success (BCS bowl wins, completely undefeated seasons, etc.), the academics (190's), or flagship status.

TCU to the Big 12 - recent big time football success, top 100 university, were easily available when the Big 12 needed a quick add but were not a first choice, and they are in a super-sized market that was easy travel for most Big 12 members. They fell into a perfect storm. Again, ECU does not have the football success, academics, or market.

Boise State to ...??? - ECU does have one thing on Boise; ECU is a national university (although not highly rated), and Boise is a weak regional university. Anybody that wonders why the PAC will never sniff at Boise needs only look there. I don't think Boise will ever get into a P5 conference as long as they are a regional university.

As I have said in past posts, ECU needs to do a few things before even throwing out P5 pleas:

1. Up their academics to be in the top 150 range so they are comparable to Louisville, Mississippi State, and Texas Tech. That will take some work.

2. Re-brand. Change the name to get rid of the directional school vibe. Buy the rights to Atlantic University (currently an online school) or just go with Carolina University. If you have some cool name in your history you can use similar to Rutgers or whatever, try that.

3. Win BIG in football for at least a decade. Winning big would mean a BCS bowl win or at least play close in a couple of BCS bowls, walk through C-USA so people are actually surprised when you lose, pack your stadium as well as the stadiums of your opponents, especially the P5 schools.

4. Consistently beat UNC and NC State for in-state recruits. Don't count on a P5 conference to invite you to get a bump in recruiting. You are not a top 100 flagship school in a huge market that is uncontested (see Maryland and Rutgers). No P5 conference is going to roll the dice on you in your situation.

RE: ECU and the SEC - He1nousOne - 06-04-2013 01:13 PM

I think your analysis is pretty good BBB but there is one exception to the rules.

If the Networks decide sooner rather than later to push for conference playoffs. Those playoffs will be huge draws and big time money makers for the Networks. At this point with the ACC in tact, in order for the Networks to get their new toys, conferences like the SEC will have to dig a little deeper into the pool of Universities. That means the Networks will have to pay them Big money to entice them to do such.

IF that were to happen then schools like ECU, SMU and even Boise out west could possibly get looked at. The PAC could easily form a susidiary level of membership in the conference that has to do with lacking academics. That problem is hyped up more than it really is once enough money is involved.

The SEC is seriously lacking in possibilities in the East should this come to pass. I have no idea if they could come to terms with the Big 12 in order to get them to let WVU out of the GoR but other than that, ECU is the SEC's best option out East. Even if they DO get WVU they still might be better off getting ECU instead of anyone else in order to get into North Carolina and to allow Missouri to be better positioned in a division.

ECU has a slim chance but I don't think it will ever have anything to do with them increasing their academics and what not. There just isn't enough time for that and I don't see them ever changing their name. They would have a serious issue with many of their alumni if they ever did that.

RE: ECU and the SEC - JRsec - 06-04-2013 01:44 PM

(06-04-2013 01:13 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I think your analysis is pretty good BBB but there is one exception to the rules.

If the Networks decide sooner rather than later to push for conference playoffs. Those playoffs will be huge draws and big time money makers for the Networks. At this point with the ACC in tact, in order for the Networks to get their new toys, conferences like the SEC will have to dig a little deeper into the pool of Universities. That means the Networks will have to pay them Big money to entice them to do such.

IF that were to happen then schools like ECU, SMU and even Boise out west could possibly get looked at. The PAC could easily form a susidiary level of membership in the conference that has to do with lacking academics. That problem is hyped up more than it really is once enough money is involved.

The SEC is seriously lacking in possibilities in the East should this come to pass. I have no idea if they could come to terms with the Big 12 in order to get them to let WVU out of the GoR but other than that, ECU is the SEC's best option out East. Even if they DO get WVU they still might be better off getting ECU instead of anyone else in order to get into North Carolina and to allow Missouri to be better positioned in a division.

ECU has a slim chance but I don't think it will ever have anything to do with them increasing their academics and what not. There just isn't enough time for that and I don't see them ever changing their name. They would have a serious issue with many of their alumni if they ever did that.

He1nous it would profit the networks not to take smaller schools for that kind of money. If they pony up it will be to secure established brands, and if they pony up for the Big 10 or SEC it will be to get regional and national brands. I could see Fox pushing for Kansas and Oklahoma to the Big 10 and ESPN pushing for Texas and West Virginia to the SEC or ACC. And yes there are more than a few variables of combinations that would work. I think when this deal gets done the Big 10, SEC, and ACC all move to 16. Then the PAC decides who they want to get there as well.

RE: ECU and the SEC - He1nousOne - 06-04-2013 02:24 PM

(06-04-2013 01:44 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 01:13 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I think your analysis is pretty good BBB but there is one exception to the rules.

He1nous it would profit the networks not to take smaller schools for that kind of money. If they pony up it will be to secure established brands, and if they pony up for the Big 10 or SEC it will be to get regional and national brands. I could see Fox pushing for Kansas and Oklahoma to the Big 10 and ESPN pushing for Texas and West Virginia to the SEC or ACC. And yes there are more than a few variables of combinations that would work. I think when this deal gets done the Big 10, SEC, and ACC all move to 16. Then the PAC decides who they want to get there as well.

Look, I agree that your idea would be the favored one. I was not attempting to illustrate a most favorable situation.

If any of the majors cannot be penetrated then a secondary plan will have to be enacted. When that happens then the range of availabilities will drastically decrease. In that situation the schools taken do not necessarily have to be the brands that drive the system. Their Locations will matter. For ECU, being the only decent draw for football left in the State of North Carolina, they will get looked at. Hell, they draw better than any other program in the State in terms of attendance. They would be a decent pick to round out a four team division in the SEC. They won't be a threat to Florida or Georgia and South Carolina probably wont be all that worried right away either yet it gets all of them into North Carolina regularly.

That would allow Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri and either West Virginia or Vanderbilt to form up a division that will help maintain the viability of those programs in the "most competitive" conference in college football. An ECU pick up helps that cause as well.

RE: ECU and the SEC - ncbeta - 06-04-2013 02:49 PM

Haha got to love a 9 year old thread with 104k+ views about a pipe dream. Put in a good word for us SEC fans...