CSNbbs
The D - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: The D (/thread-656046.html)

Pages: 1 2

The D - monarx - 10-21-2013 08:46 AM

Shout out to the defense. The last two games (Liberty and Pitt) have been a dramatic improvement. Still a long way to go, but I'm proud of you guys for the progress you're making. Keep up the good work and I think we finish at least in the top half of CUSA next season. If all the cards fall right, that could mean a bowl game.

RE: The D - ODUBB35 - 10-21-2013 08:51 AM

Right on. What we really need is to recruit a big Hoss of a Nose tackle to keep from getting manhandled by O-lines like Pitt has. But we played well in spite of that...

RE: The D - Gilesfan - 10-21-2013 09:00 AM

Bobby has continually eluded to our defense over pursuing. While, it certainly looks to me and probably everyone watching that they are just manhandling us (and there probably was a lot of that as well), Bobby mentioned that our NT and backside LBer keep over pursuing and getting out of position leading to an easy cutback for the RB. I'm going to go back to the tape and see if I can see what he is talking about.

But, still....3 straight games where the defense hasn't embarrassed themselves is an improvement. m

RE: The D - ODUalum78 - 10-21-2013 09:36 AM

(10-21-2013 09:00 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Bobby has continually eluded to our defense over pursuing. While, it certainly looks to me and probably everyone watching that they are just manhandling us (and there probably was a lot of that as well), Bobby mentioned that our NT and backside LBer keep over pursuing and getting out of position leading to an easy cutback for the RB. I'm going to go back to the tape and see if I can see what he is talking about.

But, still....3 straight games where the defense hasn't embarrassed themselves is an improvement. m

I have not heard BW allude to it, but yeah, I have observed in the past, especially against the TO and the W&M game in Williamsburg, that we have indeed over pursued. However, gap coverage and positional awareness are a matter of discipline, and usually corrected by repetitive practice.

I still haven't gotten my hands around the Citadel game. They didn't even run a true TO. More of a Veer, whereby only one RB and the QB ever got the ball.
Additionally, many of their runs seemed to be standard off-tackle.
I will watch that again and look for over pursuit.,

I certainly didn't see over pursuit vs UMD, Albany, Liberty, or Pitt.
Our last three games have been about as well played as we could expect.
Great job, defense!

RE: The D - Gilesfan - 10-21-2013 09:44 AM

"They kept hitting the ball back behind the center," Wilder said. "That was the kid seeing us overplay it. Our nose was too far over. Our backside linebacker was too far over. It was rookie mistakes on our parts with our fits. And a good back with good vision takes advantage."

RE: The D - ODUR8R - 10-21-2013 09:53 AM

The majority of Bennet's big runs were precisely that. He would be heading between the left guard and center and simply cut once to the other side of the center then cut one more time deep into the secondary.

That's what you get with 3 freshmen starting at linebacker trying to make plays.

RE: The D - MonarchCAM - 10-21-2013 10:13 AM

(10-21-2013 08:51 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  Right on. What we really need is to recruit a big Hoss of a Nose tackle to keep from getting manhandled by O-lines like Pitt has. But we played well in spite of that...

We have one...he's sitting out with a medical redshirt this season.

RE: The D - Razor Ramon Monarch - 10-21-2013 01:24 PM

26 points per game over the last two.

They were also two very mediocre offenses.

I suppose anything is a step up from the citadel and Maryland games but I'm still not very impressed.

At least we are trending in the right direction though.

RE: The D - odu83alumni - 10-21-2013 01:43 PM

Im impressed given the size of the personnel we have on the field.

RE: The D - Quagmire - 10-21-2013 01:44 PM

Have you all noticed the number of freshman we are playing??? Sheez, give these guys some time. Yes they look bad most of the time- what the hell do you expect...one year out of high school. The best we can hope for is progress, there will be setbacks, there will be triumphs. Winning ain't easy.

We all have to remember that what we are witnessing is a TRANSITION year. Transition is happening on multiple levels, from recruiting to on field execution. Transition by nature is largely unstable.

We are clearly identifying needs to fill with the additional schollies for the class of '14. Running backs, d-line, physical d-backs to name a few.

It will take 2-3 years until these pups are upperclassmen and we really know what we are dealing with going forward.

RE: The D - EverRespect - 10-21-2013 01:48 PM

We also aren't playing in the ACC.

I think we can be a top 3 team in CUSA next year. While there is potential in the future, this is not a good conference we are going to.

RE: The D - ODUalum78 - 10-21-2013 01:49 PM

(10-21-2013 01:43 PM)odu83alumni Wrote:  Im impressed given the size of the personnel we have on the field.

This

RE: The D - Quagmire - 10-21-2013 01:58 PM

(10-21-2013 01:43 PM)odu83alumni Wrote:  Im impressed given the size of the personnel we have on the field.

Yes indeed. Guarantee by the time these freshman are juniors- they'll be going 20-30 lbs. per man bigger and stronger.

RE: The D - ODU Oldtimer - 10-21-2013 02:27 PM

(10-21-2013 01:48 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  We also aren't playing in the ACC.

I think we can be a top 3 team in CUSA next year. While there is potential in the future, this is not a good conference we are going to.

ODU will grow with this conference. We will have potential in the future. ODU's long term future will be molded by our stadium issues. The funding and location will influence the overall size and time frame that will either propel us to a new level or we will just settle for less.

I hope ODU continues to Aim High.

RE: The D - ODUalum78 - 10-21-2013 02:50 PM

(10-21-2013 02:27 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  
(10-21-2013 01:48 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  We also aren't playing in the ACC.

ODU will grow with this conference. We will have potential in the future. ODU's long term future will be molded by our stadium issues. The funding and location will influence the overall size and time frame that will either propel us to a new level or we will just settle for less.

I hope ODU continues to Aim High.

Well said.
I completely agree with everespect as well.

The advantage is that if CUSA can maintain it's bowl tie-ins, ODU can realistically expect to go "bowling" sooner than later.

If we have a proper stadium, we can attract the big boy OOC games, and at the same time compete at the top of CUSA.
I think our current situation, for at least a decade anyway, couldn't be any better.
04-cheers

RE: The D - AimHigher - 10-21-2013 05:40 PM

I fear that in 2-3 years our young pups on D will be great but our now so called old timers on Offense will be gone.

Re: RE: The D - EverRespect - 10-21-2013 06:02 PM

(10-21-2013 05:40 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  I fear that in 2-3 years our young pups on D will be great but our now so called old timers on Offense will be gone.

We are recruiting offense at a very high level. I'm not that worried.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RE: The D - paintedblue - 10-21-2013 06:05 PM

(10-21-2013 05:40 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  I fear that in 2-3 years our young pups on D will be great but our now so called old timers on Offense will be gone.

That's just the nature of the college game. The O will be fine as long as our recruiting remains strong. That is naturally improving due to our move to FBS.

RE: The D - lnelms1@cox.net - 10-21-2013 06:50 PM

I believe the Defense has made incredible strides. We caused a three and out twice I believe in the fourth quarter. Long term fan and old grad. I fail to understand lack of jubilation on this Board. Five years ago we did not even have a football team; is any body shocked that we are not number one in the ACC yet. Way to go Coach KEEP AIMING HIGH!

The D - ODU89 - 10-21-2013 08:15 PM

We are all excited in the direction we are headed. However, when a 2nd string RB runs for 240 yards and 3 TDs we must temper our jubilation. Still a lot of work that needs to be done.