CSNbbs
+/- - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: +/- (/thread-653361.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

+/- - Old Dominion - 10-06-2013 03:35 PM

+ Vastly improved defense! Could losing Taylor be addition by subtraction? at any rate growth on defense was clearly visible last night. Keep up the good work.

+ One of the most exciting games I've seen in quite a while, great game day atmosphere, crowd really rockin'

- Our offense is way to one dimensional. Liberty, Md. Villanova all exposed our lack versatility. How could we possibly not be able to punch it in from the 1 foot line? Because we really don't have a power running game.

-side line to sideline passes can't be counted on for short yardage plays to get 1st downs. Again, no up the middle running game.

Anybody got any other +/-?

RE: +/- - djnva - 10-06-2013 05:38 PM

(10-06-2013 03:35 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  - Our offense is way to one dimensional. Liberty, Md. Villanova all exposed our lack versatility. How could we possibly not be able to punch it in from the 1 foot line? Because we really don't have a power running game.

Our offense was 30/31 in the red zone prior to yesterday. It hasn't really been a problem before. Until we see it's an ongoing issue, I'm not going to worry about our offense.

RE: +/- - BigBlue804 - 10-06-2013 06:48 PM

+ Once again, a key special team play determine whether or not we would of won the game

RE: +/- - ODUBB35 - 10-06-2013 06:54 PM

Not worried about the offense for now. Love the style. However, it would be nice to have a Jerome Bettis type player for those 4th and short plays as we move up to the next level.

Re: RE: +/- - EverRespect - 10-06-2013 07:04 PM

(10-06-2013 05:38 PM)djnva Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 03:35 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  - Our offense is way to one dimensional. Liberty, Md. Villanova all exposed our lack versatility. How could we possibly not be able to punch it in from the 1 foot line? Because we really don't have a power running game.

Our offense was 30/31 in the red zone prior to yesterday. It hasn't really been a problem before. Until we see it's an ongoing issue, I'm not going to worry about our offense.

+1

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RE: +/- - DaBigBlue - 10-06-2013 07:13 PM

I wish Harper had stay, we need a bigger back for short yardage plays.

RE: +/- - Monarchblue - 10-06-2013 07:15 PM

I love Bobby ball and almost never get upset about his unconventional decisions, but the one thing that really annoys me is the unwillingness to EVER under any circumstance line up under center. You can have all the Bettis' you want, its still going to be tough to gut out a yard in a goal line situation.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

RE: +/- - ODU89 - 10-06-2013 07:24 PM

(10-06-2013 05:38 PM)djnva Wrote:  

Yes. Buy what is our percentage against teams with an actual defense like Maryland and Liberty?

RE: +/- - Old Dominion - 10-06-2013 07:33 PM

Isn't the 30/31 stat based on this year,at home? If so it doesn't really carry much weight considering who the competition has been. Once we played a real team with a defensive game plan and players to back it up we see what happened. They gave us the short game all night, but once we got close to the goal line we couldn't throw it in. A running game might have helped. Same with the 4th and short. Can't see throwing the ball across the field to gain a yard.
Don't get me wrong, I love the high octane offense. I just think as we move up in competition we're going to run into more of what we saw last night. Move the ball all night between the 20,s, but difficulty scoring without a legit ground game. Don't forget they dropped 2 or 3 sure interceptions. Next time we might not be so lucky.

RE: +/- - ODUalum78 - 10-06-2013 08:37 PM

Liberty had some good DBs. Liberty took a cue from UMD's playbook and essentially used a dime package all night.

As with UMD, and to a large extent last year with Villanova, when TH get's frustrated, he starts to force his throws into coverage.

Liberty double covered with deep DBs who were big and fast enough to come in on a throw and either break it up or intercept. Those guys were able to hang back far enough (because of size and speed), that it is likely that TH never saw that developing.
UMD, and 'Nova to a lesser extent, did the same thing.

Correct me if I am wrong (I never see these things as well live as I do on TV), but unlike UMD, Liberty had the middle covered, but runs to the outside, especially in short yardage situations seemed to be wide open.
In any event, as we get into tougher competition, we need to develop a running game so that when we face teams with really good DBs and a scheme to match, we have a fallback.

Yes we did win, but I think that the Liberty poster who noted that both of the top Flame DBs were on the bench for that last drive had a legitimate point.

If we are going to emulate Oregon, and I think we should (wonderful offense to watch), we should emulate the Duck running schemes as well.

Gotta give kudos and props to the defense. Great game!
Go Monarchs! 04-cheers

RE: +/- - TedHead - 10-06-2013 09:23 PM

The problem with the spread offense is when you get in the red zone, you have less room to spread, and the defense can consolidate their coverage with less ground to cover. Does that make any sense?

RE: +/- - djnva - 10-06-2013 09:34 PM

(10-06-2013 07:24 PM)ODU89 Wrote:  Yes. Buy what is our percentage against teams with an actual defense like Maryland and Liberty?

We were 2 of 3 against Maryland. The 30 of 31 was NOT stats only at home. They were the stats for the entire season prior to last night.

We keep talking about how this lack of a big back costs us on 4th and 1, but can anyone, outside of last night's game, point to times we've had issues? I'm not saying we haven't had them, I'm just looking for examples to see when it actually happened.

Also, it's important to know that Wilder has been asked about this on his radio show and he says that it is simply NOT part of his offense.

RE: +/- - djnva - 10-06-2013 09:36 PM

(10-06-2013 09:23 PM)TedHead Wrote:  The problem with the spread offense is when you get in the red zone, you have less room to spread, and the defense can consolidate their coverage with less ground to cover. Does that make any sense?

Of course.

But again, our team averages 45 points a game. Still not sure what the problem is. We seem to be drawing large conclusions (no big back means we can't convert 3rd and short) from a very small sample (one game against Liberty).

And had our WR not slipped on the first drive, we would have had a conversion yesterday.

RE: +/- - Monarchblue - 10-06-2013 10:24 PM

+1... It amazes me how much people question one of the most prolific offenses in the nation.

...but I still want to line up under center when the ball is on the 1 inch line haha.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

RE: +/- - Gilesfan - 10-07-2013 08:54 AM

We were like 29-30 with 27 touchdowns. It's more so dealing with the caliber of defense than it is the scheme of the offense.

RE: +/- - odu83alumni - 10-07-2013 09:05 AM

(10-06-2013 08:37 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Liberty had some good DBs. Liberty took a cue from UMD's playbook and essentially used a dime package all night.

As with UMD, and to a large extent last year with Villanova, when TH get's frustrated, he starts to force his throws into coverage.

Liberty double covered with deep DBs who were big and fast enough to come in on a throw and either break it up or intercept. Those guys were able to hang back far enough (because of size and speed), that it is likely that TH never saw that developing.

Correct me if I am wrong (I never see these things as well live as I do on TV), but unlike UMD, Liberty had the middle covered, but runs to the outside, especially in short yardage situations seemed to be wide open.
In any event, as we get into tougher competition, we need to develop a running game so that when we face teams with really good DBs and a scheme to match, we have a fallback.

Yes we did win, but I think that the Liberty poster who noted that both of the top Flame DBs were on the bench for that last drive had a legitimate point.

If we are going to emulate Oregon, and I think we should (wonderful offense to watch), we should emulate the Duck running schemes as well.

Go Monarchs! 04-cheers

Mabey im wrong but i think when an above average teams brings coverage like this. Above average meaning: Maryland, Pitt, North Carolina. ODU'S quarterback will need to take some chances to win games and pull in down and run for the yardage.

RE: +/- - Gilesfan - 10-07-2013 09:09 AM

Pluses:

-Richie Staton is the real deal. A true freshman just playing out of his mind.

-Felonte Misher. I remember our Dbacks coaching saying that if there was one with NFL potential, it's Misher. Good size and speed and he seems to really be coming into his own.

-Not sure how much Brenya, another freshman played, but he made some plays.

-Props to the LG and RT that replaced Born and Morrell for much of this game.

RE: +/- - Gilesfan - 10-07-2013 09:11 AM

(10-07-2013 09:05 AM)odu83alumni Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 08:37 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  Liberty had some good DBs. Liberty took a cue from UMD's playbook and essentially used a dime package all night.

Go Monarchs! 04-cheers

Mabey im wrong but i think when an above average teams brings coverage like this. Above average meaning: Maryland, Pitt, North Carolina. ODU'S quarterback will need to take some chances to win games and pull in down and run for the yardage.

It's not just the scheme, there guys really broke hard on the ball and made plays. When they lined up in man, Heinicke picked them apart. They also got beat on a double move by Pinkard and ROberts bc of how aggressive they were.

Not only that, but those short passes we throw out the wideouts were stopped bc Liberty pursued and tackled well.

RE: +/- - Tbac3 - 10-07-2013 09:14 AM

(10-07-2013 09:11 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(10-07-2013 09:05 AM)odu83alumni Wrote:  

Go Monarchs! 04-cheers

It's not just the scheme, there guys really broke hard on the ball and made plays. When they lined up in man, Heinicke picked them apart. They also got beat on a double move by Pinkard and ROberts bc of how aggressive they were.

Not only that, but those short passes we throw out the wideouts were stopped bc Liberty pursued and tackled well.

I thought we should have run more double move routes because of their aggressiveness in trying to jump the 1st move. We seemingly had enough time to try a few more of those.

RE: +/- - odufansam - 10-07-2013 09:14 AM

(10-07-2013 09:09 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  -Richie Staton is the real deal. A true freshman just playing out of his mind.

Agree 100%. Staton is only going to get better. If he works hard this offseason he is going to be a terror next year. When he hits a guy on the field, you can hear the pop throughout the stadium. ODU has needed a guy like that for years.

Also, props to Rich Nagy who has this defense looking completely different since the Howard game. He called some timely, appropriate blitzes against Liberty that disrupted what they were trying to do.