CSNbbs
Fall Camp 2013 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Fall Camp 2013 (/thread-642935.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Fall Camp 2013 - talon owl - 08-05-2013 07:01 PM

Well, it's started.

Let's leave this thread for on the practice field happenings/reports/links, etc.

A couple tweets from JD so far:

Quote:Joseph Duarte ‏@Chronicle_Owls 34m
Early observation: Rice defensive backs are a lot more aggressive, flying all over place and in position for breakups and picks

Joseph Duarte ‏@Chronicle_Owls 36m
WR Derek Brown having a nice opening practice. Could be a force in a deep crop of receivers

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - Pan95 - 08-05-2013 08:22 PM

I absolutely love what we have at the corners. Teams may run the ball on us, but the days of torching our secondary are over.

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - mrbig - 08-06-2013 01:13 AM

(08-05-2013 08:22 PM)Pan95 Wrote:  I absolutely love what we have at the corners. Teams may run the ball on us, but the days of torching our secondary are over.

I love our corners as well, but worth noting that Rice's safeties got torched a lot more in the early Bailiff years than the corners. The bigger problem with the corners back-in-the-day is that they would routinely give up huge cushions on both side on almost every play, allowing relatively easy completions to the outside, in combination with the safeties getting beat deep. (IMO)

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - At Ease - 08-09-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:Joseph Duarte ‏@Chronicle_Owls 1h

CB Michael Warren, one of eight true freshmen who played for the Owls in 2012, will sit out this year and redshirt, Bailiff said
Expand
Joseph Duarte ‏@Chronicle_Owls 2h

Rice coach David Bailiff has raved about play of true freshman cornerback Anthony Canady. "He's shown he can help us this year."
Expand

Rice offensive coordinator John Reagan raved about depth in backfield, says several guys will be used multiple ways, lots of young talent
Expand

More David Bailiff on DL: "Tanner Leland has regained his old form. You can tell his knee is completely healthy."
Expand

David Bailiff on DE Grant Peterson: "He needs a lot of reps. He has the speed and mindset. He's just behind on his development."
Expand

Grant Peterson, who arrived on campus as a WR two years ago, continues to develop on DL and checked in at 6-6, 253 pounds, Bailiff said.
Expand

#Rice coach David Bailiff says DT Stuart Mouchantaf is down from 320 to 285 since start of camp last year. "He's really stepped right in."
Expand

#Rice coach David Bailiff says with so many seniors/staff returning Owls "have been able to put in our whole off/def packages" early in camp

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - owl40 - 08-09-2013 09:15 PM

Talon-thanks for starting the thread...good to have some actual discussion on season, players, etc. vs. other topics.

We all have to be feeling good right now w/ the depth that is finally here and experience that allows us to go deeper in playbook and get wrinkles in early...Duarte's tweets from today really make that point. Prior years, we line-up one-deep well and then have a situation like we had w/ Shahin or other injury or we have young guys at key positions and exposes the entire thing...not this year.

I expect A&M w/ Alabama as game three to go very vanilla against us which has to be a positive as preparing for them should be easier from X's and O's perspective.

I hope we learn our biggest lesson from UCLA game last year in the first game this year against A&M...that we don't take flat angles out-of-gate as 'camp speed' and 'game speed' are very different. No matter how well we line-up once settling in...we have to start quickly against A&M and adjusting to their speed vs. August practice speed will be very different. Franklin and Hundley killed us in first 10-min b/c we were not ready for their speed vs. what we saw earlier in camp. It ended-up being the difference in the game.. I think if we can settle in early in a even game in 1Q...I like our chances to play a very competitive game that is in flux in the 4Q and a turnover or stop could decide it..

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - Fort Bend Owl - 08-09-2013 09:34 PM

Glad to hear about mouchantof. You could tell he was too big early last year but he improved as the season went on

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - owlatheart - 08-09-2013 10:19 PM

wonder how much Justin Warren's return will help on the DLine?

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - talon owl - 08-10-2013 03:09 PM

Re: angles, in the camp practice vid on RiceOwls.com you can see the DBs practicing their pursuit angles. Hope it pays off.

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - Owl 69/70/75 - 08-11-2013 05:52 AM

(08-10-2013 03:09 PM)talon owl Wrote:  Re: angles, in the camp practice vid on RiceOwls.com you can see the DBs practicing their pursuit angles. Hope it pays off.

I would hope that they have been practicing those every day for years.

There certainly have been times when it was not clear that they were, which I guess is your point.

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - owl40 - 08-11-2013 09:47 AM

It is not really as much about practicing angles as they do that everyday (as I'm sure they did before UCLA game)..problem is that practicing them at game speed vs. camp speed is very different. You end-up judging what angle to take from practicing them but then realize quickly that game speed (especially first game of year) is so much faster than practice and take too flat of approach as we saw w/ Hundley and Franklin last year in 1Q. Over time in the game, you adjust to the speed but as we saw from 1Q against UCLA last year...coming out and recognizing/adjusting early is the key..can't simulate that in practice. A&M is going to be faster than anything we see in camp this year. If we can play w/ them in the 1Q, I like our chances as the game goes on..

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - Afflicted - 08-12-2013 07:33 AM

(08-11-2013 09:47 AM)owl40 Wrote:  It is not really as much about practicing angles as they do that everyday (as I'm sure they did before UCLA game)..problem is that practicing them at game speed vs. camp speed is very different. You end-up judging what angle to take from practicing them but then realize quickly that game speed (especially first game of year) is so much faster than practice and take too flat of approach as we saw w/ Hundley and Franklin last year in 1Q. Over time in the game, you adjust to the speed but as we saw from 1Q against UCLA last year...coming out and recognizing/adjusting early is the key..can't simulate that in practice. A&M is going to be faster than anything we see in camp this year. If we can play w/ them in the 1Q, I like our chances as the game goes on..

I do too. If we can get through the first quarter in good shape, I think it'll be a good game. But I definitely don't see any scenario where we get embarrassed or pushed around. We have a good team.

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - JSA - 08-12-2013 09:09 AM

(08-12-2013 07:33 AM)Afflicted Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 09:47 AM)owl40 Wrote:  It is not really as much about practicing angles as they do that everyday (as I'm sure they did before UCLA game)..problem is that practicing them at game speed vs. camp speed is very different. You end-up judging what angle to take from practicing them but then realize quickly that game speed (especially first game of year) is so much faster than practice and take too flat of approach as we saw w/ Hundley and Franklin last year in 1Q. Over time in the game, you adjust to the speed but as we saw from 1Q against UCLA last year...coming out and recognizing/adjusting early is the key..can't simulate that in practice. A&M is going to be faster than anything we see in camp this year. If we can play w/ them in the 1Q, I like our chances as the game goes on..

I do too. If we can get through the first quarter in good shape, I think it'll be a good game. But I definitely don't see any scenario where we get embarrassed or pushed around. We have a good team.

On "Extra Points" Saturday, Charlie Pallilo said the game is just another scrimmage for A&M. Ralph Cooper told him not to be so sure. He'd been to the Rice practices, and the team was fired up.

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - waltgreenberg - 08-12-2013 09:33 AM

(08-12-2013 09:09 AM)JSA Wrote:  

On "Extra Points" Saturday, Charlie Pallilo said the game is just another scrimmage for A&M. Ralph Cooper told him not to be so sure. He'd been to the Rice practices and the team was fired up.

I was watching yet another replay of ESPN's superb 30 on 30 documentary on the SMU Death Penalty while working out yesterday. SMU supporters point back to their 1980 road win against then #2 ranked UT as the turning point for the program (the same year they bought commits from Dickerson, et al.). We're in a very similar situation this year heading to College Station. I truly hope the coaching staff treats it as such, and takes advantage of the opportunity. Despite being our first game of the season, and a road, out of conference one at that, it IS our biggest game of the year, and will very much set the tone for the rest of the season.

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - RiceLad15 - 08-12-2013 09:58 AM

(08-12-2013 09:09 AM)JSA Wrote:  

On "Extra Points" Saturday, Charlie Pallilo said the game is just another scrimmage for A&M. Ralph Cooper told him not to be so sure. He'd been to the Rice practices and the team was fired up.

That's good to hear.

I would think that this team will be bringing a lot of confidence with them following the finish to last season. And, if they can put everything together, they could very well make this game a lot closer than many think it will be.

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - OwlMom15 - 08-12-2013 12:21 PM

Did anyone attend the scrimmage? Jefferson on Rivals was out sick so he couldn't attend and I didn't see any tweets from Duarate. The one article I saw said the offense was rocking :-)

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - Owl 69/70/75 - 08-12-2013 12:37 PM

(08-12-2013 12:21 PM)OwlMom15 Wrote:  Did anyone attend the scrimmage? Jefferson on Rivals was out sick so he couldn't attend and I didn't see any tweets from Duarate. The one article I saw said the offense was rocking :-)

There is a writeup posted on rice owls.com

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - Owl 69/70/75 - 08-12-2013 02:02 PM

Yes, I was thinking about the whole speed issue as I was typing that. Not sure we have anybody who can simulate that in practice.

As for aTm, I just hope it's not an embarrassing blowout. If we're saying on the one hand that we don't have any way to simulate their speed in practice, but on the other hand that we somehow expect to be able to hang with them, I'd be really interested in how that could work.

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - OptimisticOwl - 08-12-2013 03:05 PM

(08-12-2013 02:02 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  As for aTm, I just hope it's not an embarrassing blowout.

Who cares if A$M is embarrassed when we blow them out? Oh, wait, maybe that's not what you meant.

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - Da.Owl - 08-12-2013 03:27 PM

(08-12-2013 03:05 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 02:02 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  As for aTm, I just hope it's not an embarrassing blowout.

Who cares if A$M is embarrassed when we blow them out? Oh, wait, maybe that's not what you meant.

Hope beats eternally in the heart of the Optimistic 04-cheers

RE: Fall Camp 2013 - owl40 - 08-12-2013 05:23 PM

My $.02 from playing at Rice as well as each year before that even in HS...is that 'game speed' matters the most in first game. You get used to it as season goes on. I would much prefer us to play a cupcake game in game one to get used to 'game speed' vs playing a top 10 team in game one.

You come out of camp and you are excited about season but game speed in that first game is differerent than trying to survive two-a-days in August in Texas. For some reason, our first games...we play A&M game one this year, UCLA last year, and Texas the prior two+ years in game one (and Notre Dame next year)... Each year, we win game two (Kansas, Purdue, North Texas) and look dramatically better (recognizing opponent is also not as good) but nevertheless, my $.02 is that if we played Texas, UCLA, etc. in game two vs. game one..the results would have been much closer...due to getting used to game speed in game one from game two...don't know how you coach it.

Lots of factors (health, location, turnovers, etc.) matter in game one outcomes but if you have the faster team, IMO it is a greater advantage in game one vs. game two and beyond w/ all other variables being equal.

That is why I posted earlier that if we can survive the 1Q onslaught and settle in..we are in for a very close ballgame. I think A&M does view this as first of two tune-ups for Alabama game and we will see them come out hard, fast, and aggressive against us to then work on schemes, rotations, and fine tuning the Aggie machine. If we survive that 1Q, they are in for a dogfight they are not prepared for and the advantage switches our way