CSNbbs
Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari (/thread-642824.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Brother Bluto - 08-08-2013 09:27 AM

(08-08-2013 09:20 AM)FUT Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 01:02 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  Have you ever heard of professional ethics?

so are you saying it is unethical to listen to offers from other companies while you have a job?

My old man always told me to never quit a job until you found a new one.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - salukiblue - 08-08-2013 09:30 AM

(08-08-2013 09:20 AM)FUT Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 01:02 AM)Tiger Greg Wrote:  Have you ever heard of professional ethics?

so are you saying it is unethical to listen to offers from other companies while you have a job?

Its a good thing Josh never got an offer from USC then told Memphis about it only to get a bump from Memphis only to get a counter offer from USC to finally get another bump from Memphis.

Whew.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - HoopDreams - 08-08-2013 09:31 AM

Uh oh

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Bluebeard - 08-08-2013 09:34 AM

Cal is what he is. A cut throat guy who does what it takes to win and be successful. I'm glad he had us up there with the UNC's and Duke's of the world for 4 years. We benefited greatly from the relationship and so did he. I thank him for what he did for our program and look back on that era fondly. We were on top of the world and it was fun while it lasted.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - oldtiger - 08-08-2013 09:40 AM

(08-08-2013 12:09 AM)FUT Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 12:02 AM)transitt Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:34 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 08:05 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  Yes, Craft, when X came out and sat on the bench at the beginning of the game, I said to my friend, "He has a funny look on his face. He is either scared or something, but I have never seen that look in his eyes." Well, afterwards, it was obvious he threw that game. And I will never forgive him for that. Seeing Tyreke after the game on the bench in utter frustration and tears....no, the man is the lowest of the low, a true sociopath.

The night before, to the players, "Here, take these credit cards, and you don't have a curfew."

Don't even get me started on how he treated his own wife and son.

He definitely threw that game.

we discovered later that before Cal talked to the cameras in memphis "Memphis is where I want to be", that Cal had ALREADY INTERVIEWED with UK and accepted the job.
I'd be awfully interested in knowing WHEN he got that job...wouldn't you?
Also rememebr that Tyreke Evans ignored Cal when he was drafted at the NBA that night...

He also talked to Zona prior to UK...
If a company other than the one you currently work for reached out to you would you listen? If they offered you more money would you consider it? If you wanted to stay at your current company would you let them know and allow them to counter offer?

Also, have you ever applied for a job while already holding a job?

I think that's a fair question and we'd be nuts not to entertain those offers.

However, if I had contact with another potential job every other year+/-, most employers would get weary of the process; especially if the net result was a larger paycheck for me.

Coaches that win big are in a much different situation than almost all of us. They have employment options that many of us just don't have. Cal was the perceived master of floating/having rumors floated/entertaining offers that resulted in more money from his (then) current employer. I don't inherently begrudge him that option or his salary, but he was exceptionally good at playing the fiddle.

If he ever gets another potential NBA feeler, it will be interesting to see how he handles that situation with his current employer.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Brother Bluto - 08-08-2013 09:59 AM

(08-08-2013 09:40 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:34 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 08:05 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  Yes, Craft, when X came out and sat on the bench at the beginning of the game, I said to my friend, "He has a funny look on his face. He is either scared or something, but I have never seen that look in his eyes." Well, afterwards, it was obvious he threw that game. And I will never forgive him for that. Seeing Tyreke after the game on the bench in utter frustration and tears....no, the man is the lowest of the low, a true sociopath.

The night before, to the players, "Here, take these credit cards, and you don't have a curfew."

Don't even get me started on how he treated his own wife and son.

He definitely threw that game.

we discovered later that before Cal talked to the cameras in memphis "Memphis is where I want to be", that Cal had ALREADY INTERVIEWED with UK and accepted the job.
Also rememebr that Tyreke Evans ignored Cal when he was drafted at the NBA that night...

If a company other than the one you currently work for reached out to you would you listen? If they offered you more money would you consider it? If you wanted to stay at your current company would you let them know and allow them to counter offer?

However, if I had contact with another potential job every other year+/-, most employers would get weary of the process; especially if the net result was a larger paycheck for me.

Coaches that win big are in a much different situation than almost all of us. They have employment options that many of us just don't have. Cal was the perceived master of floating/having rumors floated/entertaining offers that resulted in more money from his (then) current employer. I don't inherently begrudge him that option or his salary, but he was exceptionally good at playing the fiddle.

If he ever gets another potential NBA feeler, it will be interesting to see how he handles that situation with his current employer.

If you are producing your employer wouldn't mind. He'd pay up. Just like Josh's employer paid up when he got the USC offer. The big money guys are banking on Josh's recruiting abilities at the current time. 3-4 years down the road it may be something else.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-08-2013 10:16 AM

(08-08-2013 09:25 AM)tigernole79 Wrote:  I think y'all are blowing out of proportion the number of people that are mad that cal left for ky. It is HOW he left that had/has Tiger fans ticked off.

If it was a pure business decision... heck, just going to a "storied" program like ky, I could totally understand. But, don't say it was because the money, it wasn't as we offered MUCH more than ky gave. Don't say that he handled it well, he lied and then tried to torch the program as he left. If you can't understand that... Oh well, just don't say the other side is blind to the facts.

So taking a snow cone machine and a secretary is trying to torch the program? The recruits were not coming to Memphis once he left even if they did not go to UK so let’s not go down that road again plus his boss allowed those out clauses. If I ask my boss for a limo ride to work every day and he says yes who is the idiot me or him?

I also did not mean to infer Cal took it for more money. People take new jobs for all sorts of reasons with money being, I would assume, the most common. I was just trying to keep it on the common peoples level.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-08-2013 10:19 AM

(08-08-2013 09:59 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 09:40 AM)oldtiger Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:34 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  we discovered later that before Cal talked to the cameras in memphis "Memphis is where I want to be", that Cal had ALREADY INTERVIEWED with UK and accepted the job.

If you are producing your employer wouldn't mind. He'd pay up. Just like Josh's employer paid up when he got the USC offer. The big money guys are banking on Josh's recruiting abilities at the current time. 3-4 years down the road it may be something else.

You are both correct. The employer would get weary but the employer would also pay if you were showing amazing results and most importantly making them lots of money. Ain’t America beautiful.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Brother Bluto - 08-08-2013 10:20 AM

Cal took the job because it was the premier program in the country for the last 70 years. I don't know why that is so hard for people to grasp. I'm just glad they were stupid and didn't hire him after the 07 season. Seeing Rose in a UK would have been hard to take.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - salukiblue - 08-08-2013 10:21 AM

It think what this really proves (307 posts worth) is that what the title of this thread claims is not true.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Brother Bluto - 08-08-2013 10:22 AM

(08-08-2013 10:21 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  It think what this really proves (307 posts worth) is that what the title of this thread claims is not true.

Yep

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - HoopDreams - 08-08-2013 10:23 AM

Does Josh still talk to John weekly?

[Image: calipari-pastner.jpg]

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-08-2013 10:24 AM

(08-08-2013 10:21 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  It think what this really proves (307 posts worth) is that what the title of this thread claims is not true.

see post 16

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Brother Bluto - 08-08-2013 10:25 AM

(08-08-2013 10:23 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Does Josh still talk to John weekly?

Lord knows I'm hoping he does.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-08-2013 10:27 AM

i hope not. I would not talk to a guy who spent all his time trying to make my job harder or "torch the place I work".

Although….. you know the old saying about where you should keep your friends and your enemies. So are they close or closer in that picture? Debate.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-08-2013 10:57 AM

is that a blurry bobby lutz in the foreground?

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - anothertigerfan - 08-08-2013 11:05 AM

Where are the mods? Honestly.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-08-2013 11:08 AM

(08-08-2013 11:05 AM)anothertigerfan Wrote:  Where are the mods? Honestly.

why are the mods needed for this thread?

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Brother Bluto - 08-08-2013 11:10 AM

Someone always gotta spoil the party doe

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - HoopDreams - 08-08-2013 11:10 AM

(08-08-2013 11:08 AM)FUT Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 11:05 AM)anothertigerfan Wrote:  Where are the mods? Honestly.

why are the mods needed for this thread?

Really - I don't see much in the way of name calling or trashing or anything like that - I see a lot of discussion and disagreement, which is pretty par for the course on most message boards.