CSNbbs
Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari (/thread-642824.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - EarthBoundMisfit - 08-07-2013 12:30 PM

And I don't care how many times he put it out into the media...Cal was NOT going to leave Memphis for NC State. Total fiction. just John blowing hot smoke up people's butts.
He would want NO part of having to compete against UNC and Duke. Cal likes being the big fish in a little pond. He had that at Memphis...and he has that at UK. You might try to make a argument for Billy D at Florida....but UK has so many more media credentials and cameras pointed at them than Florida basketball does.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - tigernole79 - 08-07-2013 12:33 PM

If you think a single recruit didn't sign with Memphis because of Tommy's press conference, you are insane. It did SOOOO much damage to the football program that we now have new terf fields, a new weight room, much improved facilities and have hired a great young coach and given him those tools needed to have success, which is exactly what Tommy's whole speech was about... in case you forgot.

cal not only blew up that recruiting class, he actively recruited current players and went after our recruits because they were our recruits. It was the slams against our PROGRAM that ticked me off and I won't forget, from "We only hang championship banners" to being accepted at Dunkin Donuts... Well, I LOVE the banner for most wins by a class in the history of the NCAA as well as Gibsons, but you can have your view of things.
To me, what I believe IS a simple concept. To quote a previous coach, you are either with us or against us.... well, I don't always think that is true, but in cal's case, he IS against us!

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - HoopDreams - 08-07-2013 12:36 PM

Once again, none of this was about Cal.

It was about the program.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - HoopDreams - 08-07-2013 12:37 PM

(08-07-2013 12:33 PM)tigernole79 Wrote:  If you think a single recruit didn't sign with Memphis because of Tommy's press conference, you are insane. It did SOOOO much damage to the football program that we now have new terf fields, a new weight room, much improved facilities and have hired a great young coach and given him those tools needed to have success, which is exactly what Tommy's whole speech was about... in case you forgot.

So he left the program better than he found it?

#snicker

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - TigerBill - 08-07-2013 12:40 PM

(08-07-2013 12:04 PM)transitt Wrote:  I do think some of the Cal apologists go to great lengths to make it look like we were Arkansas Pine Bluff before he got here. Yeah, we had two losing seasons and a couple NIT seasons before that. Johnny Jones had us competitive his season here.

Yeah, I loved the run, too. However, Calipari TRIED to burn the program to the ground on the way out the door. Anyone who cannot see that....I just don't know.

He used to talk about UMass all the time when he was here. Has he said a SINGLE positive thing about Memphis since he left?

Remember the 'Hire Tony Barbee and I'll leave you some players" line?

A rational outlook.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - tigernole79 - 08-07-2013 12:43 PM

Hell yeah, giving was up, there were many more ambassadors, the TSF was funded at an all new level and season tickets were up much more than when he signed on. The Tigers were on tv more, had more access to bowl games, had more media recognition... all incredible jumps forward in the football program!! Tommy West was great for the Program!!! (using the same logic you use with cal)

And only social rejects use hashtags on anything other than Twitter. It just makes the message board/facebook user look stupid.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Bluebeard - 08-07-2013 12:44 PM

(08-07-2013 11:39 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:54 AM)Bluebeard Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:12 AM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  It's called remembering what that jerk actually did to our players and our fans and our program. I will NEVER forget. And that's okay. Because if we ever forget, we might just allow it to happen again.

It's called getting screwed and never forgetting it.

I'm not saying he didn't do some lowball stuff on the way out the door. He did. But that doesn't change the fact that the basketball PROGRAM was in much better shape when Cal left than when he arrived. Also the basketball PROGRAM was in much better shape when Pastner arrived than when Cal arrived. That's all I'm saying.

Lessee program on probation.....check
program forfeited national runner up and 38 wins....check
sno-cone machine .....check
loss of highly regarded recruiting class Josh's first season....check

All of the momentum that Memphis had during the heyday of Calipari was gone. The cameras were gone, the highly rated recruits weren't studying us as much as they once did.
Yes we had nice facilities....but LOTS of schools in BCS conferences have nice facilities. Hell ESPN was still calling us a mid-major.
And if you think that Calipari did ALL of the legwork getting corporate support and Ambassadors support...you are dreaming.
The Memphis program as we knew it through those glorious years of winning 30+ games was over and done with. We were a shell of our former selves...and if the Memphis administration had made a bad hire to replace Calipari...we'd be looking at a smoking crater right now.
As much good as John did for us....he also did just as much to try and tear us down on his way out the door.

Good lord, do you hate our basketball program? You make it sound like our program is garbage and the only thing keeping it afloat is great coaches. I have more faith in the program than that.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Bluebeard - 08-07-2013 12:46 PM

Well that settles it. Hoopdreams is a social reject. Lol

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Brother Bluto - 08-07-2013 12:47 PM

#reported

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - HoopDreams - 08-07-2013 12:53 PM

oh noes - i've crossed etiquette - twitter on a message board.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - HoopDreams - 08-07-2013 12:56 PM

(08-07-2013 12:46 PM)Bluebeard Wrote:  Well that settles it. Hoopdreams is a social reject. Lol

#reject

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - EarthBoundMisfit - 08-07-2013 01:04 PM

(08-07-2013 12:44 PM)Bluebeard Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 11:39 AM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:54 AM)Bluebeard Wrote:  
(08-07-2013 10:12 AM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  It's called remembering what that jerk actually did to our players and our fans and our program. I will NEVER forget. And that's okay. Because if we ever forget, we might just allow it to happen again.

It's called getting screwed and never forgetting it.

I'm not saying he didn't do some lowball stuff on the way out the door. He did. But that doesn't change the fact that the basketball PROGRAM was in much better shape when Cal left than when he arrived. Also the basketball PROGRAM was in much better shape when Pastner arrived than when Cal arrived. That's all I'm saying.

Lessee program on probation.....check
program forfeited national runner up and 38 wins....check
sno-cone machine .....check
loss of highly regarded recruiting class Josh's first season....check

All of the momentum that Memphis had during the heyday of Calipari was gone. The cameras were gone, the highly rated recruits weren't studying us as much as they once did.
Yes we had nice facilities....but LOTS of schools in BCS conferences have nice facilities. Hell ESPN was still calling us a mid-major.
And if you think that Calipari did ALL of the legwork getting corporate support and Ambassadors support...you are dreaming.
The Memphis program as we knew it through those glorious years of winning 30+ games was over and done with. We were a shell of our former selves...and if the Memphis administration had made a bad hire to replace Calipari...we'd be looking at a smoking crater right now.
As much good as John did for us....he also did just as much to try and tear us down on his way out the door.

Good lord, do you hate our basketball program? You make it sound like our program is garbage and the only thing keeping it afloat is great coaches. I have more faith in the program than that.

I am 45 years old. I have loved Memphis football and basketball for almost as long. I watched the championship game on tv with my grandfather against UCLA. Although I didn't really understand all that was going on...I was a lil Tiger. Larry Finch, and later players like Otis Jackson, Andre Turner and Keith Lee became my heroes. So don't even THINK about trying to paint me as a agitator....I LOVE the UofM....even though I have never attended the school.

No one has made you the 'fan police' so lets get THAT out of the way right now.
What I pointed out, was that the program that John had raised up...was damn near torn down by the time the keys were handed over to Josh Pastner. Damn near all the positives that Cal did while he was here, were wiped out by what he did on his way out the door.
Josh is the perfect type of coach to coach our program. He is the anti-Calipari...and it is why several other programs have tried to hire him away from us unsuccessfully. He will always deflect attention to his assistant coaches and players...which is why he will be succesful for years to come.
Does THAT make me a Memphis hater??

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Bluebeard - 08-07-2013 01:09 PM

(08-07-2013 01:04 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  I am 45 years old. I have loved Memphis football and basketball for almost as long. I watched the championship game on tv with my grandfather against UCLA. Although I didn't really understand all that was going on...I was a lil Tiger. Larry Finch, and later players like Otis Jackson, Andre Turner and Keith Lee became my heroes. So don't even THINK about trying to paint me as a agitator....I LOVE the UofM....even though I have never attended the school.

No one has made you the 'fan police' so lets get THAT out of the way right now.
What I pointed out, was that the program that John had raised up...was damn near torn down by the time the keys were handed over to Josh Pastner. Damn near all the positives that Cal did while he was here, were wiped out by what he did on his way out the door.
Josh is the perfect type of coach to coach our program. He is the anti-Calipari...and it is why several other programs have tried to hire him away from us unsuccessfully. He will always deflect attention to his assistant coaches and players...which is why he will be succesful for years to come.
Does THAT make me a Memphis hater??

Sorry if I offended you. I just couldn't disagree more with this:

"What I pointed out, was that the program that John had raised up...was damn near torn down by the time the keys were handed over to Josh Pastner. Damn near all the positives that Cal did while he was here, were wiped out by what he did on his way out the door."

Agree to disagree.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Brother Bluto - 08-07-2013 01:13 PM

Otis Jackson?

#wow

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - FUT - 08-07-2013 01:29 PM

(08-07-2013 12:43 PM)tigernole79 Wrote:  Hell yeah, giving was up, there were many more ambassadors, the TSF was funded at an all new level and season tickets were up much more than when he signed on. The Tigers were on tv more, had more access to bowl games, had more media recognition... all incredible jumps forward in the football program!! Tommy West was great for the Program!!! (using the same logic you use with cal)

And only social rejects use hashtags on anything other than Twitter. It just makes the message board/facebook user look stupid.

I thought the facility things all happened in the last couple of years which by the logic you are putting forth would mean Larry deserves the credit. DeAngelo and winning (which coach west had a lot to do with) brought in the crowds. Conference realignment and a new AD had more to do with facilities than anything Tommy said that day. All Tommy did was make himself look like a fool which I hated to see. He had a really nice run here and I still thank him for it.

Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - anothertigerfan - 08-07-2013 01:33 PM

(08-07-2013 12:43 PM)tigernole79 Wrote:  And only social rejects use hashtags on anything other than Twitter. It just makes the message board/facebook user look stupid.

Facebook supports hashtags now. Just randomly pointing that out.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - 3601 - 08-07-2013 01:50 PM

(08-06-2013 04:29 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 04:14 PM)3601 Wrote:  HoopDreams, did you not tell me that Kirk threw the Detroit game and that Cal threw the Mizzou game?

I don't believe so - we may have discussed that there are folks out there with that opinion, certainly, but I'm not sure I ever espoused either one.

Your nose is growing, amigo.

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Bluebeard - 08-07-2013 01:53 PM

(08-07-2013 01:50 PM)3601 Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 04:29 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 04:14 PM)3601 Wrote:  HoopDreams, did you not tell me that Kirk threw the Detroit game and that Cal threw the Mizzou game?

I don't believe so - we may have discussed that there are folks out there with that opinion, certainly, but I'm not sure I ever espoused either one.

Your nose is growing, amigo.

Not anymore than yours did when you claimed we were top 10 in attendance the year before Cal arrived. 05-stirthepot

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - Brother Bluto - 08-07-2013 01:53 PM

Interesting

RE: Josh Pastner Making Memphis Tigers Fans Forget About John Calipari - 3601 - 08-07-2013 01:55 PM

(08-06-2013 06:53 PM)Bluebeard Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 04:21 PM)3601 Wrote:  After all, we were top 10 in the nation in attendance the year before Cal arrived.

Uh, no we weren't. Not even close. We averaged 11,974 and were ranked 25th. Now that, imo, is very good support for a program that was so mediocre at the time, but it's a long way from the top 10.

Calipari's first year we averaged 17,110 and were ranked 6th.

Pardon me. We finished 18th, 20th and 25th the three years prior to Cal.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attendanceYBYtop25.pdf