CSNbbs
Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility (/thread-642546.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - CommuterBob - 08-02-2013 01:08 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/22988242/college-football-postseason-formats-evolve-but-catalyst-remains-same

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - CommuterBob - 08-02-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:"We don't want the perception to be that we haven't played at the highest level of college athletics," American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco told me this week. "That's why there was some talk about us having our own playoff. I dismiss that because we don't want to go that route at all. Why would we put ourselves in a kind of subdivision?"

Quote:How would a Division 4 be established?

Remember, this isn't a breakaway. Not yet. Those Big 5 conferences would still play in FBS. Louisiana-Monroe would still have a chance to beat Alabama. The MAC would still pull its annual stunner or two against the Big Ten. It's more about governance and the big boys being able to call their own shots when it comes to rules.

...If the issue goes through the formal legislative process, it depends on how a split would be viewed. If it is considered a new division, all 1,000-plus schools would have to weigh in at a general business session at the NCAA convention.

The association's executive committee when then sponsor legislation for a new division. A two-thirds majority would be needed to pass. If Division 4 is viewed as a subdivision of Division I, then the issue would be limited to the 31 D1 conferences (340-plus schools).

But he's dead wrong about this:

Quote:Let the have-nots stage their own four-, eight-, 16-team postseason extravaganza.

You'd watch because ratings and history have shown you can't turn away. (Those 35 bowls aren't going away anytime soon.) You'd watch because any kind of playoff enhances those bowls, rather than diminishes them.

You/we/me would watch a Nevada-Ohio national semifinal because we can't get enough college football.

Nobody watches the lower divisions. Nobody watched the FCS playoffs or national championship game. If this were to happen, nobody would watch it either. Bowl games get viewers because they are played by teams in the top division. Knock those teams down a division and their following drops off dramatically.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - Attackcoog - 08-02-2013 01:29 PM

(08-02-2013 01:20 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  
Quote:"We don't want the perception to be that we haven't played at the highest level of college athletics," American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco told me this week. "That's why there was some talk about us having our own playoff. I dismiss that because we don't want to go that route at all. Why would we put ourselves in a kind of subdivision?"

Remember, this isn't a breakaway. Not yet. Those Big 5 conferences would still play in FBS. Louisiana-Monroe would still have a chance to beat Alabama. The MAC would still pull its annual stunner or two against the Big Ten. It's more about governance and the big boys being able to call their own shots when it comes to rules.

...If the issue goes through the formal legislative process, it depends on how a split would be viewed. If it is considered a new division, all 1,000-plus schools would have to weigh in at a general business session at the NCAA convention.

The association's executive committee when then sponsor legislation for a new division. A two-thirds majority would be needed to pass. If Division 4 is viewed as a subdivision of Division I, then the issue would be limited to the 31 D1 conferences (340-plus schools).

Quote:Let the have-nots stage their own four-, eight-, 16-team postseason extravaganza.

You'd watch because ratings and history have shown you can't turn away. (Those 35 bowls aren't going away anytime soon.) You'd watch because any kind of playoff enhances those bowls, rather than diminishes them.

You/we/me would watch a Nevada-Ohio national semifinal because we can't get enough college football.

Nobody watches the lower divisions. Nobody watched the FCS playoffs or national championship game. If this were to happen, nobody would watch it either. Bowl games get viewers because they are played by teams in the top division. Knock those teams down a division and their following drops off dramatically.

Exactly. That's why boxing is virtually dead. There are no heavy weights anyone cares about. Other than the Olympics, that's the only division anyone really cares anything about. Football is the same. People want to know who is the best football team---not the best peewee mid-cruiser weight champ. Nobody cares....I don't even care. Its not the real national champ. It a championship that's too narrowly defined to mean anything. Dodds an idiot and has simply refined his troll technique to be more subtle.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - ecu92 - 08-02-2013 01:37 PM

Just more BS from the usual suspects. It's not about governance or about overly-tight rules...it's about the elimination of competition, it's for the purpose of cementing a caste system within the FBS level. It's about slapping a stigma on those teams outside of the major conferences. "Don't sign with them, they play on an entirely different level!" They want so desperately for the college football audience to see the BCS bottom-feeders as superior to the best of the smaller leagues, but they're not. Without their welfare check from the top of their leagues, they wouldn't survive.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - JRsec - 08-02-2013 01:53 PM

(08-02-2013 01:29 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Exactly. That's why boxing is virtually dead. There are no heavy weights anyone cares about. Other than the Olympics, that's the only division anyone really cares anything about. Football is the same. People want to know who is the best football team---not the best peewee mid-cruiser weight champ. Nobody cares....I don't even care. Its not the real national champ. It a championship that's too narrowly defined to mean anything. Dodds an idiot and has simply refined his troll technique to be more subtle.

Or you could argue that because Olympic boxing is a farce due to the scoring system and corruption within judging that no names and personalities are elevated to a level professionally that people identify with and want to follow. In my opinion boxing has suffered because nobody enjoys watching the kids (and I'm not talking about just American kids) get jobbed at the Olympics and so they simply turnoff on the sport.

Bob, I just wanted to thank you for a good thread with a great read, even if I don't agree with all of its assessments it does thoroughly cover the reasons behind the push for a new division if not a new organization.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - bullet - 08-02-2013 02:09 PM

(08-02-2013 01:37 PM)ecu92 Wrote:  

Just more BS from the usual suspects. It's not about governance or about overly-tight rules...it's about the elimination of competition, it's for the purpose of cementing a caste system within the FBS level. It's about slapping a stigma on those teams outside of the major conferences. "Don't sign with them, they play on an entirely different level!" They want so desperately for the college football audience to see the BCS bottom-feeders as superior to the best of the smaller leagues, but they're not. Without their welfare check from the top of their leagues, they wouldn't survive.

There already is a stigma. I think this set of changes really is what they say it is and not about eliminating competition. And even the "elimination of competition" like they did with some of the BCS rules that made it difficult for non BCS conference teams is really about the mindset of "We built it. We earned it. We ought to get the money."

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - johnbragg - 08-02-2013 02:30 PM

(08-02-2013 01:20 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Nobody watches the lower divisions. Nobody watched the FCS playoffs or national championship game. If this were to happen, nobody would watch it either. Bowl games get viewers because they...

...are football on TV. I suspect that if ESPN ever promoted the FCS playoffs from ESPN3 to TV, they'd get MACtion type ratings.

That said, I disagree with Dodds. I don't think a Nevada-Ohio lower-FBS national semifinal would get any better ratings than a Nevada-Ohio Idaho Potato Bowl.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - ecuacc4ever - 08-02-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:There's a simple answer regarding equality in this Division 4 discussion. A non-BCS playoff. The big boys have taken (almost) all the money for their college football Super Bowl beginning in 2014.

Let the have-nots stage their own four-, eight-, 16-team postseason extravaganza.

Took 'em a while, but they finally have come around to my line of thinking. Create the non-BCS playoff and my alma mater can **gasp** legitimately compete for an NCAA football championship. Sweet!!

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - Topkat - 08-02-2013 02:44 PM

(08-02-2013 01:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Or you could argue that because Olympic boxing is a farce due to the scoring system and corruption within judging that no names and personalities are elevated to a level professionally that people identify with and want to follow. In my opinion boxing has suffered because nobody enjoys watching the kids (and I'm not talking about just American kids) get jobbed at the Olympics and so they simply turnoff on the sport.

Bob, I just wanted to thank you for a good thread with a great read, even if I don't agree with all of its assessments it does thoroughly cover the reasons behind the push for a new division if not a new organization.

LOL... Mayweather and Pacquaio are in the top 15 paid athletes for the year. They are not heavyweights. Klitschko is in the top 50 paid athletes and he is a heavyweight.

In September, Mayweather will move up to the number 1 paid athlete and the guy he's fighting (Canelo Alvarez) will move into the Top 25 paid. Me presumes you have buried boxing early.

I didn't see any MMA guys on the list... maybe I missed them.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - johnbragg - 08-02-2013 02:49 PM

(08-02-2013 02:43 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  
Quote:There's a simple answer regarding equality in this Division 4 discussion. A non-BCS playoff. The big boys have taken (almost) all the money for their college football Super Bowl beginning in 2014.

Let the have-nots stage their own four-, eight-, 16-team postseason extravaganza.

Took 'em a while, but they finally have come around to my line of thinking. Create the non-BCS playoff and my alma mater can **gasp** legitimately compete for an NCAA football championship. Sweet!!

They have that. It's called FCS. It's not working too well, financially.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - ecuacc4ever - 08-02-2013 02:52 PM

Doesn't matter to me whether it's financially viable or not -- I simply want to see my alma mater have a legit shot at winning an NCAA Football championship.

Plain and simple.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - CommuterBob - 08-02-2013 02:56 PM

(08-02-2013 02:30 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 01:20 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Nobody watches the lower divisions. Nobody watched the FCS playoffs or national championship game. If this were to happen, nobody would watch it either. Bowl games get viewers because they...

...are football on TV. I suspect that if ESPN ever promoted the FCS playoffs from ESPN3 to TV, they'd get MACtion type ratings.

That said, I disagree with Dodds. I don't think a Nevada-Ohio lower-FBS national semifinal would get any better ratings than a Nevada-Ohio Idaho Potato Bowl.

The FCS playoffs have been on ESPN broadcast TV (not just ESPN3) and in December, when no other FBS football is on, and still nobody watches, not even in the MACtion level of ratings.

And I think Dodd is nuts to think that any network would be drooling over such a concept. The concept is out there now and in three other divisions - and nobody is drolling over it.

Besides, I don't think the G5 could be a wholly separate subdivision with only 64 teams. I don't think that's enough for a middling subdivision that would likely lose all its bowls and TV contracts.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - CommuterBob - 08-02-2013 03:03 PM

(08-02-2013 02:52 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Doesn't matter to me whether it's financially viable or not -- I simply want to see my alma mater have a legit shot at winning an NCAA Football championship.

Plain and simple.

They can do that by dropping down to FCS right now. There would be no need to wait for a split.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - ncbeta - 08-02-2013 03:11 PM

Go away. It's not the championship we want if it's not at the highest level.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - KevinSmith - 08-02-2013 03:19 PM

To me, it sounds like a big smoke screen for exactly what CFA was seeking in 1978-1984 - upper tier exclusivity for big TV money. Then it was 61 teams now its 65. Its an exclusive club and they want to make it very, very hard (read: nearly impossible) for new members to become a new mouth to feed. The existing "bottom feeders" of the club (and we all know who they are) are in and staying in due to family ties and bloodlines (just like joke, drunk third sons of old money families you sometimes see spending 40 hours a week at the country club). But if they were to be any new members they'd need to bring serious new money value.

That's why when I hear B1G wants to keep expanding, I would have to think it would be in a scenario where 5 conferences contract into 4 (which really could only happen with B12 or ACC being goobled up en masse by the other 4) with the number of club members actually staying the same or decreasing not increasing (e.g., with potentially some schools left without a chair - just spit-balling here so no offense intended - KSU? IA ST? TCU? BC? Wake? Duke?). This is about EXCLUSIVITY to the monetary benefit of the members.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - USAFMEDIC - 08-02-2013 03:41 PM

With the P5 TV deals, who can even compete at a fair level with them. Obvious case of the big get bigger and the little schools get less. The separation is growing every year. If the P5 guys ever start paying the players, that will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - ecuacc4ever - 08-02-2013 03:46 PM

(08-02-2013 03:11 PM)ncbeta Wrote:  

Go away. It's not the championship we you (and the rest of the Target pirate fans and distinguished ECU alums) want if it's not at the highest level.

FTFY.

The rest of y'all can continue on that wild goose chase if you want to...

05-stirthepot

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - Attackcoog - 08-02-2013 03:53 PM

(08-02-2013 02:44 PM)Topkat Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 01:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

LOL... Mayweather and Pacquaio are in the top 15 paid athletes for the year. They are not heavyweights. Klitschko is in the top 50 paid athletes and he is a heavyweight.

In September, Mayweather will move up to the number 1 paid athlete and the guy he's fighting (Canelo Alvarez) will move into the Top 25 paid. Me presumes you have buried boxing early.

I didn't see any MMA guys on the list... maybe I missed them.

Ive heard of both Mayweather and Paquaio--but have never ever watched either fight. Just dont care about about the non-heavy weight divisions (other than the olympics). As for Klitschko---never heard of him---as I suspect is true of most sports fans. This is a sport that was one of the big three sports in the US as recently as 40 years ago. The sport is effectively dead right now.

It needs more elite talent in the heavyweight division, it needs a federation that people can believe is not corrupt, and it needs one national network to get behind it and promote it. If those things happen---theres money to be made and a rebirth of boxing. Are you listening NBC and Fox? By the way, one reason that sport died is that it moved entirely to pay per view (very profitable at the time). But it essentially took boxing off of free tv, thus a whole generation grew up without getting much exposure to the sport. The sports that stayed on free tv survived and prospered---NFL, NBA, MLB, and even college football. Boxing died off.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - arkstfan - 08-02-2013 03:54 PM

#1. Obviously he's just thinking out loud.
#2. No one will ever test whether he is right.

I know the majority will disagree with me, but I think IF the right person were to emerge to rally the G5+BYU+Army and could somehow inject them with an AFL mindset, it could be VERY successful.

Those who disagree have looked at the evidence and made an interpretation of it that is very plausible. I think there are other interpretations to the evidence.

Argument 1. Look at FCS.
OK. FCS is cost-containment football. Fewer scholarships, less staff permitted. It was initially created to provide post-season opportunities to schools lacking post-season opportunities. It was supposed to provide TV access to schools lacking TV access.

The G5 is not FCS. The G5 will match the P5 in scholarship spending and will match in whole or in part the stipend. Either sport for sport or they will do it in football and basketball and just enough women's sports to keep the lawyers at bay. G5 teams will continue to play home and home series with P5 teams. How often do FBS travel to FCS?

The G5 may lack the money of the P5 but most G5 approach athletics with the same mindset. That's not the case with FCS.

Look at the gap in bowls
Fine. Last year there were 10 G5 v. G5 bowls. Seven were played before the first P5 v. P5 bowl. The 9th was played on December 29. The 10th was the THIRTY-FOURTH BOWL OF THE SEASON. It was played the night before the BCS title game after a full Sunday of NFL football. The worst viewership for a G5 vs. G5 was 1.3 million viewers, top was just over 3 million. Despite highly recognized names, playing on poor dates and some oddball hours there were viewers for those games even with a number of G5 schools playing P5 schools. Slotted better with more at stake than just another game, there is viewership potential.

Look at the TV gap
TV wants to maximize resources. The P5 leagues are a safe ratings project. They get the prime TV slots. The rights paid the G5 reflect the fact that TV has ample prime viewing slot inventory. G5 games are just an alternative to showing poker or infomercials or the 27th re-run of some show. The price reflects how much more valuable that content is at off-peak teams and on lesser viewed channels. The G5 could draw better ratings than they currently do if slotted into prime channels at prime viewing times, but can't reliably draw what the P5 do in those slots. If those broadcast windows were available... the G5 would be paid more to fill them but those slots aren't available.

Nobody wants to watch a "runner-up" game
Not completely true. After all 33 bowl games that weren't the BCS title game nor the historic Rose Bowl drew some pretty decent numbers. The Kentucky-Robert Morris NIT game outdrew the opening round of the NCAA.

The Battle is doing it right
You can't be an orphan asking for more gruel. You have to act like Lamar Hunt and Al Davis and go to war.

You really need the right event to take place to make it really go (more on that later) but as a friend once told me. If you know life is going to hand you lemons, don't sit back and wait. Tell everyone you are making the best pie they've ever had then make that greatly anticipated lemon pie when they arrive.

Don't sit around and create a playoff because you've been formally shunted aside. Come out swinging and do it before they get a chance to stick you.

Get your Lamar Hunt to stand at the podium in New York with the five G5 commissioners and your five boldest presidents and five boldest AD's and declare war. Announce you've signed an agreement for the NCP, the National Championship Playoff, the playoff America WANTS. You have slots reserved for every conference champion with the rest of the 16 team field filled with the best at-large teams. Stare into the cameras and tell them you've sent a copy of the agreement to the SEC, Big 10, ACC, Pac-12, and Big XII but they won't give America the playoff it wants, so you are leaving the CFP for the NCP and spots are available for them should they choose to join in.

Unveil your plan.

The 8 highest seeded teams will play the first round at home. The first round will be split over two weekends. Seeds 1-4 will play the first Saturday in December. A key date because there are a maximum of 9 P5 games that can be played that day. The SEC, ACC, P12, Big 10 title games and 5 Big XII regular season games and at most 2 of those Big XII games will have any meaning. The reward of being a top 4 seed is an extra week off if you win. The second four games featuring seeds 5-8 playing at home will be the second Saturday in December when there are no games at all played at the FBS level (Army-Navy has to move).

Second round the third Saturday in December which is usually G5 v. G5 or Pac-12 v MWC bowls. The bigs don't like playing that early in bowls. The four highest remaining seeds again playing at home.

The Saturday before New Year's Day play the neutral site semi-finals, with the championship the Saturday before the CFP title game.

College football belongs on Saturday :)

The Trigger
The perfect scenario to trigger the move? Fox failing to secure the Big 10's top tier rights. ESPN isn't going to easily allow them to get away, and if ESPN has a right of refusal it would be hard for Fox to put out a number they would pay that ESPN won't match.

That leaves Fox with a purported ESPN rival sports network that lacks top-level games in college football. While they will have some top teams they won't have first pick of games. Plus they won't have the NFL.

If you can't get the top. Create your own. Buy the G5 lock, stock and barrel. Most of the G5 deals expire at the same time as the Big 10 deal. With a little insider dealing and monkeying around, you kill and reform the American and Sun Belt and all five are locked into Fox for the regular season and post-season.

A true rival league that is getting pushed hard by a major broadcast network, a major cable sports network, a network of regional sports nets, and the owner of a major recruiting network that used to draw G5 ire when from time to time a high star player might lose a star after commiting to a G5, something unlikely to happen in Fox has a vested interest.

And if they wanted my advice, for the first four or six years. I'd play the semis at one site as a double header. Ideally I'd rotate the semi and the final between St. Louis and Indianapolis. St. Louis because its near the geographic and population center of the US, Indy because its the dome without a bowl closest to the most teams and I'd dare the NCAA Executive Director to not show up for the games there because I'd tell every reporter that would listen that the failure to appear just proves the Director is the lapdog of the money elite rather than working for the fans who want a full playoff.

RE: Dodd: Division 4 is coming; non-BCS playoff a possibility - Attackcoog - 08-02-2013 03:59 PM

(08-02-2013 03:19 PM)KevinSmith Wrote:  To me, it sounds like a big smoke screen for exactly what CFA was seeking in 1978-1984 - upper tier exclusivity for big TV money. Then it was 61 teams now its 65. Its an exclusive club and they want to make it very, very hard (read: nearly impossible) for new members to become a new mouth to feed. The existing "bottom feeders" of the club (and we all know who they are) are in and staying in due to family ties and bloodlines (just like joke, drunk third sons of old money families you sometimes see spending 40 hours a week at the country club). But if they were to be any new members they'd need to bring serious new money value.

That's why when I hear B1G wants to keep expanding, I would have to think it would be in a scenario where 5 conferences contract into 4 (which really could only happen with B12 or ACC being goobled up en masse by the other 4) with the number of club members actually staying the same or decreasing not increasing (e.g., with potentially some schools left without a chair - just spit-balling here so no offense intended - KSU? IA ST? TCU? BC? Wake? Duke?). This is about EXCLUSIVITY to the monetary benefit of the members.

That might sound good to a P-5 AD, but it sounds awful to a network. You are taking half the inventory and flushing it down the toilet. You are also taking half the fan bases and flushing those down the toilet. When was the last time you saw a network willingly tossed aside 5% of an affluent college educated audience? How about 10%, or 20%, or 30%--because 30% is closer to the size of audience that we are talking about throwing away. I just don't see the networks getting on board with a split that's so narrow and radical. How do networks profit from this? Arent the networks paying the freight? I just don't see how a split that radical works for the networks. Plus, how does it really help the P-5----they already get most of the football money anyway.

My guess, we end up somewhere close to 100 schools (about the historical size of the top level of college football during the modern era).