CSNbbs
A&M game seating - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: A&M game seating (/thread-640937.html)

Pages: 1 2

A&M game seating - Frizzy Owl - 07-22-2013 09:09 PM

Besides the Rice allotment, what part of the stadium will Rice fans be concentrated in? I'll need more than two tickets, so I can't buy from the Rice allotment, unless those have been opened to all.

RE: A&M game seating - ETx Owl - 07-22-2013 09:26 PM

(07-22-2013 09:09 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Besides the Rice allotment, what part of the stadium will Rice fans be concentrated in? I'll need more than two tickets, so I can't buy from the Rice allotment, unless those have been opened to all.

When visiting my kids at A&M and going to games, there always seem to be lots of visitors in the 146-147 sections--I guess the resale buyers have always been able to buy season tickets there. Sections are on about 10-30 yd line behind visitors bench.

RE: A&M game seating - greyowl72 - 07-22-2013 09:34 PM

That's where I bought. Needed 6 seats. Not too bad a price. 20 yard line.

RE: A&M game seating - ETx Owl - 07-22-2013 09:38 PM

Not a bad area. Aggies , there are either old or newly graduated, some with kids, nice to visitors, talk to you etc. At their prices, those fans come to one game a year and want to enjoy it.

RE: A&M game seating - westsidewolf1989 - 07-23-2013 10:05 AM

We're in 145. What's the tailgate situation looking like, as far as fellow Owls' locations?

RE: A&M game seating - KingNayte - 07-23-2013 06:52 PM

I inquired about getting tickets to this game and apparently the Athletic Department is not going to open up sales to anyone besides the Owl Club.

Not the Owl Club gets priority tickets.

Not "once the Owl Club has bought their tickets, we'll open it up to the broader Rice community."

At this point, fewer than 300 have been sold. Won't we look good when we return a couple thousand tickets to A&M?

Ugh. Typical.

RE: A&M game seating - RiceDoc - 07-23-2013 07:05 PM

(07-23-2013 06:52 PM)KingNayte Wrote:  I inquired about getting tickets to this game and apparently the Athletic Department is not going to open up sales to anyone besides the Owl Club.

Not "once the Owl Club has bought their tickets, we'll open it up to the broader Rice community."

At this point, fewer than 300 have been sold. Won't we look good when we return a couple thousand tickets to A&M?

Ugh. Typical.

Probably trying to get Aggies to join the Owl Club in order to get the tickets. But not advertising it well so it is a failed attempt. Just a SWAG. 03-banghead

Did you ask if there is a limit to how many tickets Owl Club members can buy? There is at least one Owl Club member in the Parliament who could be persuaded to act as a conduit for others in the Parliament who want to buy the tickets.. NO guessing required for THAT statement. 04-cheers

RE: A&M game seating - 75src - 07-23-2013 07:25 PM

It is 2 for the $1,000 giving level with a few more for the higher giving levels. I was not interested in giving that much to get them since the visitors usually get the worst seats in the stadium. I went to the Class of 1976 reunion in 2006 and got a seat beyound the end line on the west side. The Tech band and fans got seats even further down and away from the end line. I wish I had watched the thing on television since ABC televised that game. I qualified for the reunion because I picked as a class year the year I received a Masters at A&M. Get a ticket on the secondary market if you want to go to the game, even if you get one outside the stadium or I think a student organization might resell tickets.

RE: A&M game seating - RiceDad - 07-24-2013 12:34 AM

(07-23-2013 06:52 PM)KingNayte Wrote:  I inquired about getting tickets to this game and apparently the Athletic Department is not going to open up sales to anyone besides the Owl Club.

Ugh. Typical.

Uh, excuse me, but any regular poster on this board, except maybe some of the kids, who is not an Owl Club member ought to be ashamed.

RE: A&M game seating - loki_the_bubba - 07-24-2013 12:41 AM

(07-24-2013 12:34 AM)RiceDad Wrote:  

Ugh. Typical.

Uh, excuse me, but any regular poster on this board, except maybe some of the kids, who is not an Owl Club member ought to be ashamed.

Excuse me? Every bit of my spare change for the next four years is going to either Notre Dame or WPI. I might be able to buy a hundred dollar ticket, but not a thousand dollar ticket.

RE: A&M game seating - gsloth - 07-24-2013 07:11 AM

There are other levels of support - starting at $50. A&M is a special case for extracting Owl Club donations.

RE: A&M game seating - RiceDoc - 07-24-2013 03:43 PM

Ugh. Typical.
(07-24-2013 12:34 AM)RiceDad Wrote:  Uh, excuse me, but any regular poster on this board, except maybe some of the kids, who is not an Owl Club member ought to be ashamed.
(07-24-2013 12:41 AM)loki_the_bubba Wrote:  Excuse me? Every bit of my spare change for the next four years is going to either Notre Dame or WPI. I might be able to buy a hundred dollar ticket, but not a thousand dollar ticket.
(07-24-2013 07:11 AM)gsloth Wrote:  There are other levels of support - starting at $50. A&M is a special case for extracting Owl Club donations.

Cliff Notes:
Any regular poster on this board should be at least a $50 Owl Club member, but you have to be a $1000 Owl club member to buy tickets in Collie Station, so the athletic department is moneygrubbing.

Did I miss anything or avoid insulting anyone? 05-stirthepot

BTW Loki, my extra cash is going to WashU in St.L. Hope my kid is getting as good of an education as the one I got at Rice! 04-cheers

RE: A&M game seating - georgewebb - 07-24-2013 04:00 PM

(07-24-2013 03:43 PM)RiceDoc Wrote:  ...you have to be a $1000 Owl club member to buy tickets in Collie Station, so the athletic department is moneygrubbing.

If offering a desirable perk as a carrot to encourage larger donations is "money-grubbing", then I would say: money-grubbing is long overdue!

Honestly, there is a collective hypocrisy about this forum. There is no shortage of people with opinions about how Rice should spend money, and no shortage of people promising hypothetical scenarios in which, if the stars aligned just right, they would theoretically donate some amount (conveniently, they make those promises under pseudonyms).

But when Rice offers a simple, straightforward opportunity not just to give a specific amount, but to get something pretty desirable in return, people are tripping over themselves to criticize and complain.

Grow up, people.

RE: A&M game seating - KingNayte - 07-24-2013 04:12 PM

it's a little frustrating when a place that chronically complains about participation and involvement puts up these kinds of barriers to participation and involvement.

I just finished a 3 year grad school program and don't have the money to join the owl club, but will be attending most if not all of our home games and thought this might be a fun road trip.

offering perks is great. making things unavailable to a broader community as small as Rice's to incentivize membership is punitive and small-time.

RE: A&M game seating - Hou_Hater - 07-24-2013 04:23 PM

So the consensus is Sects. 146 & 147 if we're buying the tickets from a 3rd party vendor (e.g. StubHub)?

RE: A&M game seating - georgewebb - 07-24-2013 07:10 PM

(07-24-2013 04:12 PM)KingNayte Wrote:  it's a little frustrating when a place that chronically complains about participation and involvement puts up these kinds of barriers to participation and involvement.

I just finished a 3 year grad school program and don't have the money to join the owl club, but will be attending most if not all of our home games and thought this might be a fun road trip.

offering perks is great. making things unavailable to a broader community as small as Rice's to incentivize membership is punitive and small-time.

Just curious: What is the difference between:
- a perk, the offering of which to donors is "great", and
- a perk, the offering of which to donors constitutes putting up
"barriers", "making things unavailable", and being "punitive"?

I hope the difference is something other than the first group being things that you personally don't care about, and the second being things that you do.

RE: A&M game seating - RiceDad - 07-24-2013 09:33 PM

(07-24-2013 07:10 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(07-24-2013 04:12 PM)KingNayte Wrote:  it's a little frustrating when a place that chronically complains about participation and involvement puts up these kinds of barriers to participation and involvement.

I hope the difference is something other than the first group being things that you personally don't care about, and the second being things that you do.

George,
I'm with you 100%. Look what it costs to get tickets to aTm or TU games. There is even a lawsuit now going on At aTm over parking for the new Kyle Field which isn't even built. I'm sorry that King Nayte can't buy tickets from Rice, but when I finished my MBA at Wharton 41 years ago, I made $13,500 and had to make a fiscal decision whether I could afford a movie on Friday night. So, sometimes you just don't get to do everything you would like to do. I still can't!

RE: A&M game seating - KingNayte - 07-24-2013 10:09 PM

The way you've stated this, I think you've already made up your mind, but I'll try to clarify for you. I think that the people who have made a substantial financial commitment to Rice Athletics should certainly get special treatment: first crack at tickets, better seats, the ability to buy more, etc. however, if after those folks have been given the pick of the litter a lot of seats are left, I don't understand not giving the broader rice community a chance to get some. We want rice people to support rice athletics, that doesn't start with a big donation, it starts with going to some games. Playing big-time in state, former SWC teams is fun, in some ways regardless of the outcome. Do you really want to tell people they can't go and sit in the rice section for stuff like that? I don't.

Is my entire critique selflessly concerned with the broader community? Of course not, I want to go to the game. But I don't think that invalidates the point I'm making. Maybe I'm wrong.

RE: A&M game seating - RiceDad - 07-24-2013 11:49 PM

(07-24-2013 10:09 PM)KingNayte Wrote:  

The way you've stated this, I think you've already made up your mind, but I'll try to clarify for you. I think that the people who have made a substantial financial commitment to Rice Athletics should certainly get special treatment: first crack at tickets, better seats, the ability to buy more, etc. however, if after those folks have been given the pick of the litter a lot of seats are left, I don't understand not giving the broader rice community a chance to get some. We want rice people to support rice athletics, that doesn't start with a big donation, it starts with going to some games. Playing big-time in state, former SWC teams is fun, in some ways regardless of the outcome. Do you really want to tell people they can't go and sit in the rice section for stuff like that? I don't.

Is my entire critique selflessly concerned with the broader community? Of course not, I want to go to the game. But I don't think that invalidates the point I'm making. Maybe I'm wrong.

In general, I agree with you, but the question is this: is Rice withholding tickets from the larger community, not members of the Owl Club, that otherwise could be available to Rice supporters. I would hope not, don't think so, but don't know for sure!!

RE: A&M game seating - KingNayte - 07-25-2013 06:59 AM

RD, the way the information was presented to me that's exactly what's happening, and that's the source of my frustration.