CSNbbs
What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? (/thread-638797.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - panama - 07-08-2013 12:22 PM

(07-08-2013 12:05 PM)eagle9098 Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 04:50 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 04:48 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 01:57 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 01:55 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  No spin needed when you are the greatest program out of 250 in division 1 over the last 30 years.

There's your go to line. It holds no water. You can only be compared to FCS programs, period.

Let me know if there is another division 1 football program that has had more championship success over the last 30 years. Roll GA Southern!!!
Your championships are not equal to Alabama , USC and Notre Dame's. You DO get that right? You played Elon, Wofford and the Citadel to get there.

Yes they are!!! You dont get it. The fact is that we played the teams at our level with the same scholarships and on average have had more success than anyone at any level div 1 in 30 years of playing. We played and won at the level in which we played. Now you could say that Bama's level is better or bigger and I would say yes it would be harder for us to win at their level. Now we have moved to Bamas level and we are starting over again. But our championships are equal to Bamas in the sense that we played and won at our level of competition. Sure Bamas are the top level but we did what we did with what we were asked to do and overall have done it better.
Youre never going to "on Bama's level". You are an ant to Bama. Might as well accept that truth and move on with life from there. Saban makes as much as your budget in salary and endorsements. They spent $37m a year just on football. As for your championships being equal to theirs, how come no other fan base ever makes such outlandish claims. Seriously, you have to know that sounds nuts.

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - olddawg - 07-08-2013 12:31 PM

(07-03-2013 02:49 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 02:08 PM)BariBlue Wrote:  What is the difference between ULL and ULM?

First off don't call us ULL. It is not officially accepted by the university or fans. ULM's university and fans are fine with ULM. If you can't call us UL, University of Louisiana at Lafayette will do. ULM is in the Northeastern area of the state located in Monroe. They were born in the 50's I believe as a Junior college. They played 1-AA ball in the Southland before making the jump into 1-A and the Belt. They are small school with about 6,000 - 8,000 students but they are most known for their pharmacy school. Something I didn't realize until the last few years is that, ULM, Tech and Grambling State are all very close to each other in the Monroe area. ULM fans if any of the above is not accurate please point it out. I did you guys by memory.

UL is located in Lafayette, Louisiana. It has been around since 1898. Lafayette is about an hour and forty minutes west of New Orleans. It has gone by several names, SLI (Southwestern Louisiana Institute), USL (University of Southwestern Louisiana), briefly in 1984 we owned the name University of Louisiana and that years graduates had that printed on their diplomas. LSU along with other jealous universities forced us to change the name back to USL.

We are the second largest school in the state in enrollment (17,000) and campus area. I believe we also offer more PHd programs than any other school in the state accept for LSU. When I was a student we were known for our computer science program and attracted students from around the world. I think that has diminished somewhat and I honestly don't know what our crowning jewel is today.

Sports wise we were once part of the Gulf Coast Conference, Southland Conference and now the Sunbelt. We were once national known for our basketball program and once was rated #4 in the nation. That's before the death penalty.

You may find the link below interesting about Louisiana schools. We run off of two systems. The University of Louisiana system and the LSU system.
http://www.ulsystem.net/

If you ever wondered why Cajun fans are so militant about the name issue, the link below should fill you in.
http://www.angelfire.com/la3/ulragincajuns/battle.html

Does Tulane hold any rights to the name "University of Louisiana"? They were, after all, the original U of L. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulane_University

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - Yosef84 - 07-08-2013 12:45 PM

(07-04-2013 01:55 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  No spin needed when you are the greatest program out of 250 in division 1 over the last 30 years.

There's your go to line. It holds no water. You can only be compared to FCS programs, period.

Let me know if there is another division 1 football program that has had more championship success over the last 30 years. Roll GA Southern!!!
Your championships are not equal to Alabama , USC and Notre Dame's. You DO get that right? You played Elon, Wofford and the Citadel to get there.

Yes they are!!! You dont get it. The fact is that we played the teams at our level with the same scholarships and on average have had more success than anyone at any level div 1 in 30 years of playing. We played and won at the level in which we played. Now you could say that Bama's level is better or bigger and I would say yes it would be harder for us to win at their level. Now we have moved to Bamas level and we are starting over again. But our championships are equal to Bamas in the sense that we played and won at our level of competition. Sure Bamas are the top level but we did what we did with what we were asked to do and overall have done it better.

I am not sure I could make the argument that our FCS National Championships are EQUAL to those achieved by Bama, et al. It's comparing apples and oranges. I completely acknowledge that their BCS championships are at the HIGHEST level of college football. That being said, I don't discount the achievement of either App or GaSo in winning multiple championships. As you pointed out, we were competing with few resources against programs with comparable resources.

The reason I am so happy to be moving up to FBS is NOT because of the post season. Frankly, the FCS championships (with FCS resources) are more difficult to attain than a typical bowl win. The upgrade in this move is that we get to play against better teams DURING THE SEASON, so we have upgraded the regular season. When App finally goes to a bowl, I'll be excited...no doubt about it, but that is not the real selling point of this move.

I can't wait until 2014 when we finally start competing against the schools in the Sun Belt. Go Apps!

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - The4thOption - 07-08-2013 12:49 PM

(07-08-2013 12:22 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 01:57 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  There's your go to line. It holds no water. You can only be compared to FCS programs, period.

Youre never going to "on Bama's level". You are an ant to Bama. Might as well accept that truth and move on with life from there. Saban makes as much as your budget in salary and endorsements. They spent $37m a year just on football. As for your championships being equal to theirs, how come no other fan base ever makes such outlandish claims. Seriously, you have to know that sounds nuts.

Lets just "slow the roll" tide on the "fan base" making claims - a comment based on a few comments probably planned to get under your skin.

There is really a point of view issue going in this anyway. Our's is going to be different from anyone else's and especially different than one from a program that can count on their fingers their total number of football wins in school history. 05-stirthepot

But on a serious note about the issue, I can say that our Championships mean as much to us as Bama's mean to them. And in that respect they are just as good as Bama's championships. Perspective is the key here.

One can certainly draw comparisons and contrasts between these two programs. And I mean other than the similarly classic looking uniforms and the fact that GSU used to be known as the Blue "Tide".

In some ways, we are the same as Bama. They have won the most National titles at the FBS/1-A level and we hold that distinction at the FCS/1-AA level. Nobody in this fan base is going to argue (nobody might be a stretch as there is always a 01-wingedeagle or two in any fan base) - that the FCS is a tougher level than the FBS. So, yes in that regard and the $ they spend.. Bama is much grander. In terms on National Exposure etc, FBS and so Bama's championships > than ours. But.. in contrast, those championships were not earned on the field through a playoff system and so the 1-A/FBS championship has always been somewhat of a fictional title and the NCAA Division 1 Champion is considered to be the 1-AA/FCS champion. In that sense and from that point of view, a Championship earned through the fire of a playoff system and recognized as the NCAA D1 Champion is better. Which would I rather have? The FBS title of course!

These are the two most decorated, championship crowned programs in their respective divisions of D1. We have been playing with the limitations and restrictions of an FCS teams, without those restrictions - our program is bound to improve and we hope that will allow us to better compete against top level FBS programs than we have recently done. Since this has somehow turned to a discussions of Bama. I'll throw the loss out there ONE MORE TIME. Considering in that LOSS, how well the Eagles performed against the BEST FBS program of all time... how much might we reasonably be hopefully of improving once all the restrictions of our former division are removed? How will we then measure against The Best of the Best in the FBS and how will we measure up against the Best of the Sun Belt at that time? Only time will tell.. but I'll leave you with this..... (might not be exact.. but from memory)

"We are Georgia Southern
Our Colors are Blue and White
We call our offense the GA Power Company.. and that's a great name for an offense!
Our Snap count is RATE HIKE.
Our Weekends began on Thursday
The Coeds out number the men, 3 to 2.
They're all good looking & they're all rich!
And Friends, You just can't beat that!
And you can't beat GEORGIA SOUTHERN..
And you aint seen nothing yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

From memory: ERK

GATA

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - TrueBlueAlum - 07-08-2013 01:15 PM

Your posts... are always... sooo long. :)

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - TheEagleWay - 07-08-2013 01:22 PM

(07-08-2013 01:15 PM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  Your posts... are always... sooo long. :)

[Image: michaelshock.gif]

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - TrueBlueAlum - 07-08-2013 01:33 PM

(07-08-2013 01:22 PM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 01:15 PM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  Your posts... are always... sooo long. :)

03-lmfao03-lmfao didn't even notice

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - The4thOption - 07-08-2013 01:44 PM

(07-08-2013 01:33 PM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 01:22 PM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  

03-lmfao03-lmfao didn't even notice

04-cheers How dat b?

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - MTPiKapp - 07-08-2013 02:30 PM

Look, this is silliness. The "we were playing against the best competition of our peers" or whatever that rhetoric was can be applied to lliterally any championship.

Do I get what you're saying? Sure I do, but let's not get carried away.

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - MTPiKapp - 07-08-2013 02:33 PM

(07-08-2013 12:09 PM)eagle9098 Wrote:  Really! Me too, and sinse you think im so cute why dont you come see me and really find out how cute. You can be my little kitten.

03-lmfao

Who doesn't love an internet tough guy? They're so cute...

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - panama - 07-08-2013 02:35 PM

(07-08-2013 12:49 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 12:22 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-04-2013 04:48 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Let me know if there is another division 1 football program that has had more championship success over the last 30 years. Roll GA Southern!!!

Lets just "slow the roll" tide on the "fan base" making claims - a comment based on a few comments probably planned to get under your skin.

There is really a point of view issue going in this anyway. Our's is going to be different from anyone else's and especially different than one from a program that can count on their fingers their total number of football wins in school history. 05-stirthepot

But on a serious note about the issue, I can say that our Championships mean as much to us as Bama's mean to them. And in that respect they are just as good as Bama's championships. Perspective is the key here.

One can certainly draw comparisons and contrasts between these two programs. And I mean other than the similarly classic looking uniforms and the fact that GSU used to be known as the Blue "Tide".

In some ways, we are the same as Bama. They have won the most National titles at the FBS/1-A level and we hold that distinction at the FCS/1-AA level. Nobody in this fan base is going to argue (nobody might be a stretch as there is always a 01-wingedeagle or two in any fan base) - that the FCS is a tougher level than the FBS. So, yes in that regard and the $ they spend.. Bama is much grander. In terms on National Exposure etc, FBS and so Bama's championships > than ours. But.. in contrast, those championships were not earned on the field through a playoff system and so the 1-A/FBS championship has always been somewhat of a fictional title and the NCAA Division 1 Champion is considered to be the 1-AA/FCS champion. In that sense and from that point of view, a Championship earned through the fire of a playoff system and recognized as the NCAA D1 Champion is better. Which would I rather have? The FBS title of course!

These are the two most decorated, championship crowned programs in their respective divisions of D1. We have been playing with the limitations and restrictions of an FCS teams, without those restrictions - our program is bound to improve and we hope that will allow us to better compete against top level FBS programs than we have recently done. Since this has somehow turned to a discussions of Bama. I'll throw the loss out there ONE MORE TIME. Considering in that LOSS, how well the Eagles performed against the BEST FBS program of all time... how much might we reasonably be hopefully of improving once all the restrictions of our former division are removed? How will we then measure against The Best of the Best in the FBS and how will we measure up against the Best of the Sun Belt at that time? Only time will tell.. but I'll leave you with this..... (might not be exact.. but from memory)

"We are Georgia Southern
Our Colors are Blue and White
We call our offense the GA Power Company.. and that's a great name for an offense!
Our Snap count is RATE HIKE.
Our Weekends began on Thursday
The Coeds out number the men, 3 to 2.
They're all good looking & they're all rich!
And Friends, You just can't beat that!
And you can't beat GEORGIA SOUTHERN..
And you aint seen nothing yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

From memory: ERK

GATA

Its a real common problem for Bama. People visit their facility and say, yeah its nice and you're legendary but you didnt earn these on the field...

http://www.rolltide.com/view.gal?id=25858

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - TheEagleWay - 07-08-2013 02:38 PM

(07-08-2013 02:35 PM)panama Wrote:  Its a real common problem for Bama. People visit their facility and say, yeah its nice and you're legendary but you didnt earn these on the field...

Dat building....

01-ncaabbs

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - MTPiKapp - 07-08-2013 02:41 PM

(07-08-2013 12:49 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  Since this has somehow turned to a discussions of Bama. I'll throw the loss out there ONE MORE TIME. Considering in that LOSS, how well the Eagles performed against the BEST FBS program of all time... how much might we reasonably be hopefully of improving once all the restrictions of our former division are removed? How will we then measure against The Best of the Best in the FBS and how will we measure up against the Best of the Sun Belt at that time? Only time will tell..

One game against a team that was never a threat, in a classic trap situation, is not a measuring stick, I'm sorry to burst your bubble if you believe that it is, but it's not.

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - Hail The Blue - 07-08-2013 02:44 PM

Oh, this thread again?

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - panama - 07-08-2013 02:57 PM

(07-08-2013 02:38 PM)TheEagleWay Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 02:35 PM)panama Wrote:  Its a real common problem for Bama. People visit their facility and say, yeah its nice and you're legendary but you didnt earn these on the field...

Dat building....

01-ncaabbs
Its Ridonkulous

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - Roachgone - 07-08-2013 03:19 PM

(07-03-2013 01:11 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  I mean location, enrollment, sports traditions, what are they know for academically? etc...

GA SO cheerleaders prefer fescue whereas Ga St cheerleaders would rather have zoyzia.

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - GaStPanthers - 07-08-2013 03:25 PM

(07-08-2013 03:19 PM)Roachgone Wrote:  
(07-03-2013 01:11 PM)Louisianafanrcajun90 Wrote:  I mean location, enrollment, sports traditions, what are they know for academically? etc...

GA SO cheerleaders prefer fescue whereas Ga St cheerleaders would rather have Bermuda.

FIFY

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - EaglesDare - 07-08-2013 03:56 PM

(07-08-2013 03:19 PM)Roachgone Wrote:  

GA SO cheerleaders prefer fescue whereas Ga St cheerleaders would rather have zoyzia.

Here is a look at our 'grazers': 04-cheers

http://students.georgiasouthern.edu/cheer/files/MG_28011.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_DXfbDjZYtMM/SuiykpBmooI/AAAAAAAABms/1v4eShMXAH4/s400/3.jpg

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - eagleskins - 07-09-2013 03:25 AM

Bama has never won a real championship. A voting contest is not a championship. So, I would say our championships are more impressive from the perspective we went through 4 of the best teams a year in the postseason to get those championships. How many would Bama have if there was a 16 team playoff? Much fewer.

RE: What's the difference between Georgia State and Georgia Southern? - The4thOption - 07-09-2013 05:02 AM

(07-08-2013 02:41 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 12:49 PM)The4thOption Wrote:  Since this has somehow turned to a discussions of Bama. I'll throw the loss out there ONE MORE TIME. Considering in that LOSS, how well the Eagles performed against the BEST FBS program of all time... how much might we reasonably be hopefully of improving once all the restrictions of our former division are removed? How will we then measure against The Best of the Best in the FBS and how will we measure up against the Best of the Sun Belt at that time? Only time will tell..

One game against a team that was never a threat, in a classic trap situation, is not a measuring stick, I'm sorry to burst your bubble if you believe that it is, but it's not.

"trap situation"? Ok.. let's just start making excuses for Bama? Seriously? With all the advantages they have, you want to talk about excuses on why the allowed us to be competitive with them that day?

You couldn't "burst my bubble" if you tried my friend. Believe what you want to, but to say that the results of a direct head to head matchup is "not a measuring stick" of how two teams stack up on the field is beyond ridiculous. I'd say it is the only true measuring stick.