CSNbbs
Elon to CAA? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Elon to CAA? (/thread-634031.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Elon to CAA? - sctvman - 05-21-2013 01:45 PM

There are rumors that Elon is headed to the Colonial Athletic Association per a Richmond reporter. They would be the fifth school to leave the SoCon in the past six months.

http://carolinasportsthoughts.blogspot.com/2013/05/elon-to-caa.html

RE: Elon to CAA? - mikeinsec127 - 05-21-2013 03:29 PM

Five schools in six months; that's BE bad. I guess this means the Albany and Stoney brook rumors were nonstarters.

RE: Elon to CAA? - bigblueblindness - 05-21-2013 03:36 PM

Lipscomb and Stetson are standing by on lines 1 and 2, Southern Conference...

Elon to CAA? - chargeradio - 05-21-2013 04:10 PM

(05-21-2013 03:29 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Five schools in six months; that's BE bad. I guess this means the Albany and Stoney brook rumors were nonstarters.

Not necessarily, there's still room at the CAA inn-possibly even more if the MAC and/or SBC expand at the CAA's expense.

RE: Elon to CAA? - ETSUfan1 - 05-21-2013 04:13 PM

The SoCon wants nothing to do with Lipscomb and Stetson.

RE: Elon to CAA? - 4x4hokies - 05-21-2013 04:15 PM

(05-21-2013 03:29 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Five schools in six months; that's BE bad. I guess this means the Albany and Stoney brook rumors were nonstarters.

The popular rumor on the CAA boards is that Hofstra is blocking Stoney Brook but Albany can come. Albany isn't sure it wants to come without SB.

RE: Elon to CAA? - bigblueblindness - 05-21-2013 04:20 PM

(05-21-2013 04:13 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  The SoCon wants nothing to do with Lipscomb and Stetson.

Ease up, you've been part of the current conference for 5 minutes. You may want to check into the institutional makeup of Samford, Wofford, Furman, and Mercer (official yet?) and get back on if the Southern Conference wants nothing to do with small, private universities in the region that have solid academics and, at least in Lipscomb's case, more money than they know what to do with.

RE: Elon to CAA? - Kit-Cat - 05-21-2013 04:23 PM

This is a pretty big move for Elon and kind foreshadows a SoCon counter raid of the ASun.

The SoCon is now down to 7 schools and forced into a position where it has to expand immediately. If they take 5 schools from the ASun that would reduce the conference down to 5 and make them susceptible to folding.

I would have to think Northern Kentucky could be enticed to join the Summit at that point, IMO.

RE: Elon to CAA? - bigblueblindness - 05-21-2013 04:32 PM

(05-21-2013 04:23 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  This is a pretty big move for Elon and kind foreshadows a SoCon counter raid of the ASun.

The SoCon is now down to 7 schools and forced into a position where it has to expand immediately. If they take 5 schools from the ASun that would reduce the conference down to 5 and make them susceptible to folding.

I would have to think Northern Kentucky could be enticed to join the Summit at that point, IMO.

Yes, congrats to Elon. They will be a good add. I think you are correct about them picking at the A-Sun. Considering the new makeup of the Southern Conference, I would think the potential candidates from the Big South would rather stay with their Virginia/NC brethren. Any Big South fans/alums have a different take on that?

RE: Elon to CAA? - Kit-Cat - 05-21-2013 04:38 PM

(05-21-2013 04:10 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  

Not necessarily, there's still room at the CAA inn-possibly even more if the MAC and/or SBC expand at the CAA's expense.

A few thoughts:

-I don't know if its in the interests of the CAA to expand past 10 which seems to be the ideal number for a basketball conference.

-I'm not sure if its worth Albany and Stony Brook's time to leave the American East for the travel costs of the CAA. They got into the CAA for football which is all that counts at this point.

-The CAA seems to be shaping up to be a league of private or private minded publics (Delaware, W&M). James Madison is the one school that really doesn't fit this model and is looking to get out.

RE: Elon to CAA? - bigblueblindness - 05-21-2013 04:45 PM

(05-21-2013 04:23 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  This is a pretty big move for Elon and kind foreshadows a SoCon counter raid of the ASun.

Based on what I've read from NKU fans, they are ready to jump to the Summit as soon as invited. I don't blame them.

RE: Elon to CAA? - Kit-Cat - 05-21-2013 04:49 PM

(05-21-2013 04:32 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

Yes, congrats to Elon. They will be a good add. I think you are correct about them picking at the A-Sun. Considering the new makeup of the Southern Conference, I would think the potential candidates from the Big South would rather stay with their Virginia/NC brethren. Any Big South fans/alums have a different take on that?

I can't say from the Big South perspective but I if you look at their geography and the mission of those schools it doesn't seem like it makes a lot of sense for them to move.

The ASun has 10 schools including 4 of which are in Florida and NKU. The Southern could effectively wipe the ASun out by taking ETSU, Kennesaw, Mercer, Lipscomb and South Carolina Upstate. NKU then heads to the Summit and the Florida schools are left without a conference.

Then again it might make sense for the Southern Conference to pull in VMI with Upstate heading to the Big South. Would Liberty be interested in joining the Southern Conference? This might be what saves the ASun.

RE: Elon to CAA? - Kit-Cat - 05-21-2013 04:52 PM

(05-21-2013 04:45 PM)bigblueblindness Wrote:  

Based on what I've read from NKU fans, they are ready to jump to the Summit as soon as invited. I don't blame them.

The Summit is a midwestern basketball conference. Its a lot easier from a branding perspective than to be stuck in a low major southern private school conference.

RE: Elon to CAA? - dbackjon - 05-21-2013 04:57 PM

VMI is going to the Southern Conference - expect an announcement soon.

Lipscomb is now on an island, after Belmont went to the OVC, and especially if ETSU goes to the Southern.

OVC would be ideal, but they are at 12 currently.

RE: Elon to CAA? - Fresno St. Alum - 05-21-2013 05:06 PM

(05-21-2013 04:57 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  VMI is going to the Southern Conference - expect an announcement soon.

Lipscomb is now on an island, after Belmont went to the OVC, and especially if ETSU goes to the Southern.

They still have NKU to the north of them for now. NKU may get a Horizon invite and not even have to worry about the Summit.

RE: Elon to CAA? - dbackjon - 05-21-2013 05:11 PM

(05-21-2013 05:06 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 04:57 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  VMI is going to the Southern Conference - expect an announcement soon.

They still have NKU to the north of them for now. NKU may get a Horizon invite and not even have to worry about the Summit.

I am assuming the NKU is out the door as well in the next couple of years - to attractive a BB program to stay in A-Sun

Elon to CAA? - chargeradio - 05-21-2013 06:50 PM

Odd footnote on Elon: Elon is set to become the sixth member in women's lacrosse in Spring 2014. The Atlantic Sun lost Longwood as a lacrosse affiliate when the school joined the Big South for all sports after having toiled as an Independent. Depending on the timing the Atlantic Sun could lose its sixth member again.

RE: Elon to CAA? - MissouriStateBears - 05-21-2013 07:30 PM

If I was the Southern Conference I would try to get 10 members with 9 being football playing. That would give them an ideal conference setup.

RE: Elon to CAA? - jdgaucho - 05-21-2013 11:10 PM

(05-21-2013 04:52 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

The Summit is a midwestern basketball conference. Its a lot easier from a branding perspective than to be stuck in a low major southern private school conference.

A Summit that lost Oral Roberts, Oakland and UMKC in the last couple years leaves a lot to be desired though. Plus, how much more travel would NKU have to do in the Summit or Horizon versus the Atlantic Sun?

RE: Elon to CAA? - NoDak - 05-22-2013 11:17 AM

(05-21-2013 04:52 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  

The Summit really brings nothing: no TV contract, no branding, the minimum NCAA payment, a tournament in the media capital of Sioux Falls, low population footprint. The ASun exceeds the Summit in every single category, with FGCU bringing the ASun a lot of credibility and money.

NKU rejected the Summit before, as it chose traveling to Florida over going to the Dakotas. If anything, NKU and Lipscomb are trying to get IUPUI and IPFW to switch to the ASun, or pushing for a Summit / ASun merger (as ridiculous as that sounds). There is no one in the Summit that isn't looking at an exit strategy (SDSU and USD desparately want the Summit saved, but there's no indication anyone wants to join).

The ASun could likely pull in DII moveups like Bellarmine, S Indiana, Lincoln Memorial, and later Lindenwood to a north division. Only Lindenwood seems to be open to the Summit, as Minnesota DII schools just wouldn't have the state support they would need to move up.

IUPUI is about equidistant to Jacksonville as it is to Fargo, with cheaper airfares to Florida, better recruiting (athletes and students), and more alumni. Almost a no brainer for IUPUI / IPFW and maybe even W Ill to jump to the ASun if saving the ASun is still possible. The exit fee from the Summit is only $250 k.