CSNbbs
College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 (/thread-631842.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - USAFMEDIC - 05-02-2013 11:28 PM

Ran across this interesting web info regarding 2012 conference/individual school attendance.... It is falling folks. Everyone is always arguing about school fan support, so here are the hard facts.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/college_football_regular-seaso.html

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - Sultan of Euphonistan - 05-02-2013 11:39 PM

And the single biggest increase by percentage goes to Kent State! Woo! Sadly it still is a small number but I will take it.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - Love and Honor - 05-02-2013 11:48 PM

Feel bad for SJSU, they had a great year yet drew even less than Miami. Other programs like NIU, Toledo, UL-Lafayette, and Cincinnati declined from their comparatively small numbers, despite being good programs.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - USAFMEDIC - 05-03-2013 12:14 AM

The SEC was the big winner at 75,000 average. I was surprised to find that the Missouri Tigers averaged more than 11 of the PAC 12 teams, and eight of ten Big XII teams. Ranking was 24th in the country. UCLA avoided the sweep of the PAC 12 by 1000 fans per game, and we are just middle of the pack in the SEC. I thought the PAC 12 would draw more... This is everyones' chance to chime in.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - randaddyminer - 05-03-2013 01:09 AM

not happy with our numbers, but looking at it from a glass half-full perspective, we finished 8th among non-AQs after 7 straight losing seasons

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - Kit-Cat - 05-03-2013 07:19 AM

Here was the numbers that I was most impressed with:

Navy 32,363
Army 32,205
Air Force 32,015

All 3 academies within an average of 300 fans.

Also worth noting that Indiana passed Purdue in fan average for probably the first time in 50 years.

Indiana 44,802
Purdue 43,588

Only 10 G5 schools were above 30k. That seems a reasonable line to draw for good G5 attendance.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - MinerInWisconsin - 05-03-2013 07:45 AM

(05-03-2013 01:09 AM)randaddyminer Wrote:  not happy with our numbers, but looking at it from a glass half-full perspective, we finished 8th among non-AQs after 7 straight losing seasons

Yep, 3-9 isn't going to draw crowds. UTEP can be up to 3rd among non-AQ's easily if the new coach can field a reasonably good team. I expect normally that BYU will be 1st with ECU 2nd.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - bullet - 05-03-2013 07:56 AM

(05-02-2013 11:28 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  Ran across this interesting web info regarding 2012 conference/individual school attendance.... It is falling folks. Everyone is always arguing about school fan support, so here are the hard facts.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/12/college_football_regular-seaso.html

The officials are worried about competing with the HD experience, keeping students interested and cost driving people away. Bowlsby was talking about it being a major concern and the 10 current Big 12 schools as a whole had a net increase (1 big increase, 5 small increase, 4 small decrease).

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - b0ndsj0ns - 05-03-2013 08:07 AM

ECU had a dip in attendance, but I expect after a good season with a better home schedule that attendance will be back over 49k for the season.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - jaminandjachin - 05-03-2013 08:08 AM

Everyone keeps saying how moving to the BIG will help Maryland and Rutgers attendance. I wonder about that. Maryland and Rutgers will have to play OSU, Mich, Mich St, Penn St every year along with each other at a minimum. That's pretty much 5 losses for someone right there. Unless they get paired with Purdue or Illinois on the other side I can't see how they'll ever be bowl eligible. And if they really suck will the fans stop showing up. Just a thought......

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - 1845 Bear - 05-03-2013 08:08 AM

(05-03-2013 07:19 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  Here was the numbers that I was most impressed with:

Navy 32,363
Army 32,205
Air Force 32,015

All 3 academies within an average of 300 fans.

Also worth noting that Indiana passed Purdue in fan average for probably the first time in 50 years.

Indiana 44,802
Purdue 43,588

Only 10 G5 schools were above 30k. That seems a reasonable line to draw for good G5 attendance.

I assume independents don't count so omitting...

Army - 32k
Navy - 32k
BYU - 61k
ND - 80k

So to make up the 10 you have:
Hawaii - 30k
SDSU - 30k
Fresno - 30.9k
Air Force - 32k
UCF - 34k
UConn - 34k
Boise State - 35k
USF - 44k
ECU- 47k
UL (unless you are using 2014 configuration) 49k

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - orangefan - 05-03-2013 08:16 AM

(05-03-2013 12:14 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  The SEC was the big winner at 75,000 average. I was surprised to find that the Missouri Tigers averaged more than 11 of the PAC 12 teams, and eight of ten Big XII teams. Ranking was 24th in the country. UCLA avoided the sweep of the PAC 12 by 1000 fans per game, and we are just middle of the pack in the SEC. I thought the PAC 12 would draw more... This is everyones' chance to chime in.

You missed USC, which ranked 9th. Mizzou topped 10 of 12 P12 schools.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - TerryD - 05-03-2013 08:17 AM

The article did not mention Notre Dame, which sold out every one of its home games (actually, since 1973), did not lose any attendance at all and took 35,000 fans to a Navy home game in Dublin, Ireland.

But, I agree with the larger premise that many schools are looking at declining attendance. They may be killing their Golden Goose with higher ticket prices, higher athletic budgets/need to fleece fans and greed driven, TV dollar seeking realignment bull$hit.

So it goes, the market will eventually correct itself.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - bullet - 05-03-2013 08:54 AM

Of note, of the top 65 in attendance (35,697 and greater), only BYU 61k, ECU 47k and USF 44k are not in, or will soon be in, one of the Big 5 conferences. Only Washington St. #73, Wake Forest #78 and Duke #79, aren't in the top 65.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - bitcruncher - 05-03-2013 09:31 AM

(05-03-2013 08:08 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Everyone keeps saying how moving to the BIG will help Maryland and Rutgers attendance. I wonder about that. Maryland and Rutgers will have to play OSU, Mich, Mich St, Penn St every year along with each other at a minimum. That's pretty much 5 losses for someone right there. Unless they get paired with Purdue or Illinois on the other side I can't see how they'll ever be bowl eligible. And if they really suck will the fans stop showing up. Just a thought......
Maryland and Rutgers will have a big influx of B1G fans visiting their stadium to see their favorite teams. Every B1G school has a large alumni base near both schools. That will be the biggest factor in those schools rise in attendance, once they start playing B1G schools. And if either school starts to experience any level of success in the B1G, their fanbase will grow exponentially. Bet on it...
(05-03-2013 08:17 AM)TerryD Wrote:  The article did not mention Notre Dame, which sold out every one of its home games (actually, since 1973), did not lose any attendance at all and took 35,000 fans to a Navy home game in Dublin, Ireland.

But, I agree with the larger premise that many schools are looking at declining attendance. They may be killing their Golden Goose with higher ticket prices, higher athletic budgets/need to fleece fans and greed driven, TV dollar seeking realignment bull$hit.

Why would they mention the Irish? According to the chart, ND experienced the exact same level of support they experienced last year. The point of the story was about declining attendance, and pointing out that ND didn't decline wouldn't benefit his main point...

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - TerryD - 05-03-2013 09:37 AM

(05-03-2013 09:31 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 08:08 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  Everyone keeps saying how moving to the BIG will help Maryland and Rutgers attendance. I wonder about that. Maryland and Rutgers will have to play OSU, Mich, Mich St, Penn St every year along with each other at a minimum. That's pretty much 5 losses for someone right there. Unless they get paired with Purdue or Illinois on the other side I can't see how they'll ever be bowl eligible. And if they really suck will the fans stop showing up. Just a thought......
Maryland and Rutgers will have a big influx of B1G fans visiting their stadium to see their favorite teams. Every B1G school has a large alumni base near both schools. That will be the biggest factor in those schools rise in attendance, once they start playing B1G schools. And if either school starts to experience any level of success in the B1G, their fanbase will grow exponentially. Bet on it...
(05-03-2013 08:17 AM)TerryD Wrote:  The article did not mention Notre Dame, which sold out every one of its home games (actually, since 1973), did not lose any attendance at all and took 35,000 fans to a Navy home game in Dublin, Ireland.

Why would they mention the Irish? According to the chart, ND experienced the exact same level of support they experienced last year. The point of the story was about declining attendance, and pointing out that ND didn't decline wouldn't benefit his main point...

Just to balance the article a bit to say that some schools increased attendance or that some schools do not fit his "declining attendance" thesis.

I guess that I expect too much from "sports journalists"???

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - AtlanticLeague - 05-03-2013 09:47 AM

Maryland - 36,023
Northwestern - 35,697

Suck it, B1G.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - bitcruncher - 05-03-2013 09:54 AM

(05-03-2013 09:37 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 09:31 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

Just to balance the article a bit to say that some schools increased attendance or that some schools do not fit his "declining attendance" thesis.

I guess that I expect too much from "sports journalists"???
Today? Absolutely...

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - jaminandjachin - 05-03-2013 10:28 AM

(05-03-2013 09:31 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Maryland and Rutgers will have a big influx of B1G fans visiting their stadium to see their favorite teams. Every B1G school has a large alumni base near both schools. That will be the biggest factor in those schools rise in attendance, once they start playing B1G schools. And if either school starts to experience any level of success in the B1G, their fanbase will grow exponentially. Bet on it...

I'm skeptical. Long time Big 10 teams aren't selling out..like Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. Then you throw in the fact that both Rutgers and Maryland might suck, people may not show up. Attendance will rise, but I don't think long term it will be the slam dunk you think it will.

RE: College Football Attendance Numbers - 2012 - AtlanticLeague - 05-03-2013 10:33 AM

(05-03-2013 10:28 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  
(05-03-2013 09:31 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Maryland and Rutgers will have a big influx of B1G fans visiting their stadium to see their favorite teams. Every B1G school has a large alumni base near both schools. That will be the biggest factor in those schools rise in attendance, once they start playing B1G schools. And if either school starts to experience any level of success in the B1G, their fanbase will grow exponentially. Bet on it...

I'm skeptical. Long time Big 10 teams aren't selling out..like Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, etc. Then you throw in the fact that both Rutgers and Maryland might suck, people may not show up. Attendance will rise, but I don't think long term it will be the slam dunk you think it will.

Each of the DC B1G alum fan bases will see their team at Byrd at best every other year and at worst once a decade. I don't think it's too much to assume they'll make the trip to the edge of the beltway to see their team beat up on the Terps.