CSNbbs
Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? (/thread-631010.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - Hokie Mark - 04-25-2013 03:35 PM

Saw a link to this article on an FSU board:

The realigned Big Ten can't seem to do anything right - Matt Brown, SportsOnEarth.com

Quote:while the [NFL] draft should be another showcase for the SEC, many would be surprised if the Big Ten even gets mentioned at all... The first 32 picks will likely pass without a single player taken from Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Wisconsin or anyone in the Big Ten at all, even while a tackle from Central Michigan is projected to go off the board in the top five.

Quote:the Big Ten is dealing with some sort of on-field football crisis... The league has been stuck in a downward spiral since the 2006 season

Quote:forgetting that it ever had the gall to name the divisions Leaders and Legends in the first place... names that were a perfect representation of the league's pompous lack of public self-awareness

Quote:powerful in some respects... its power (read: money) and influence remain as great as ever... Until now, that is... when the ACC announced that all 15 of its present and future schools (including Notre Dame, which will be a partial member in football) signed a grant of media rights

Quote:We can still debate whether or not adding Maryland and Rutgers will ultimately be positive additions for the Big Ten... the Big Ten added a traditional power in Nebraska, but it also added two teams with a combined one BCS bowl appearance.

Quote:[B1G] hasn't had a quarterback drafted in the first round since Kerry Collins in 1995 -- and will likely come up empty overall in the first round for the first time since the NFL-AFL merger.

Quote:As college athletics reaches a moment of relative stability, the Big Ten is left standing still, facing its new reality, one in which it doesn't have nearly as much room to bully the rest of the college football world.

Thoughts, guys?

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - nzmorange - 04-25-2013 03:39 PM

As much as I would like to tear the B1G down, Ohio State looks pretty legit under Urban Meyer, PSU will rebound, and Michigan doesn't have a DC named GROB anymore, so I think it's a little early to bury the B1G.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - He1nousOne - 04-25-2013 03:49 PM

As a Big Ten guy I agree fully with alot of what was said. The Big Ten has absolutely been a very complacent conference for quite some time. College Football has only very recently become a Nationalized Sport instead of the Regionalized Sport that it was for so many years.

I hate to say it but the Big Ten is a big lumbering giant. It is slow to change course and even slower to pick up speed but once it gets going in a direction it should have no problem staying the course. That is why I hope Urban Meyer treats his Alma Mater differently then his previous stops, I hope he stays there awhile. tOSU IS the Flagship of the Big Ten in football and they need to lead the way into playing college football the way it is played Today.

That being said, the title of this thread and the object of it's creation are still off the mark. The conference is in great shape. Can it do anything right? Oh I dont know....how about Pioneer the conference network idea that the PAC tried to duplicate, that the SEC is now trying to duplicate and that the ACC wants to duplicate? Right...the point was just to denigrate the Big Ten as usual around here.

How boring.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - NIU007 - 04-25-2013 04:01 PM

They got rid of those dumb division names - so they did that right.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - He1nousOne - 04-25-2013 04:02 PM

(04-25-2013 04:01 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  They got rid of those dumb division names - so they did that right.

OMG and a Hallelujah to that! 04-cheers

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - He1nousOne - 04-25-2013 04:03 PM

Also, it is amusing that the OP wants to have this vote go the way of saying that the Big Ten is a paper tiger when, if I remember correctly, his team lost to Michigan in a Major Bowl this past season.

Seriously...ACC fans, get a hold of yourself. Yes, the Siege is over but stop acting like little children at recess.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - moo - 04-25-2013 04:04 PM

No, they can't do anything right. They just have their network and make more money than God. That's all.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - BruceMcF - 04-25-2013 04:06 PM

(04-25-2013 04:04 PM)moo Wrote:  No, they can't do anything right. They just have their network and make more money than God. That's all.
And of course there is all that research grant money, which is several multiples what athletics brings in for any of the "big money" conferences. After all, the reason we pretend that college football is anything but the professional NFL minor leagues is because its a lot easier to cheer for a sporting team than to cheer for the engineering and chemistry departments to work together to land a 1/4 share of a materials engineering research grant.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - He1nousOne - 04-25-2013 04:10 PM

Please you two...it is sooooo just about football on the field performance for that past few years. NOTHING ELSE MATTERS IN LIFE! Don't you get it?

Seriously, take notes from the best football conference in the country, the ACC! The question isn't whether the Big Ten can do anything right, it is whether the ACC can do anything wrong! COGS

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - Frank the Tank - 04-25-2013 04:15 PM

I've been a much bigger defender of the ACC than most (I never thought for a second that FSU had any interest in the Big 12 or that UNC wanted to go to the Big Ten or SEC), but notion that they one-upped the Big Ten on any level is ridiculous. If the ACC ever bothered to do the things that the supposedly "can't do anything right" Big Ten was smart enough to do 7 years ago, then the ACC could have been the aggressors with their brands and geographic footprint. Instead, literally everything in conference realignment over the past 3 years was in *reaction* to what the Big Ten wanted to do. The fact that the ACC and, for that matter, Big 12 were able to save themselves and survive recently is admirable, but hardly a point to brag about compared to what the Big Ten has been able accomplish power-wise over the past decade.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - Poliicious - 04-25-2013 04:23 PM

Mark, as many dumb things as the Big 10 has done and a number of them have been listed in your email; launching the Big 10 network is a stroke of genius that is overcoming alot of those negatives.

With the addition of Rutgers and MD giving the B10 entree into greater NYC, Baltimore and DC; the rights fees for that network are only going to increase along with the additional sports that will be conference sports next year (Ice Hockey) and in the very near future (Lacrosse).

The addition of those 2 sports is only going to put more 4 in the conference coffers as the conference will have even more live programming on BTN that Fox will be paying for.

With the 2 additional programs plus additional sports coming in a year(hockey) or 2 (Lacrosse); expect the per team payout from the BTN to be at least $20-$25M. No conference comes close to that, especially with all the coaches shows and recruiting that network does for the B10.

When your league is pulling in that much money just from it's own network plus what they get from ESPN and Comcast; it will always be an attractive league for a team from another conference to join.

While the B10 is not what it was in football; Indiana won a national championship in Men's Soccer, Michigan won a national championship in Men's Swimming, Michigan played in the Men's Hoops Title game, Maryland won the 2012 Men's National Lacrosse Championship(which will become a B10 sport once MD & Rutgers are added). a B10 team has won the National Wrestling Title the last 7 years (PSU the last 3, Iowa 3 before that and Minnesota in 07)

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - dbackjon - 04-25-2013 04:41 PM

NCAA Men's Basketball, 2013 Tourney

Big 10 - 7 teams, record of 14-7, 4 S16, 2 E8, one runner-up
ACC - 4 teams, record of 6-4, 2 S16, 1 E8, nothing further.

And no, you don't get to count a team that won't be in the ACC until 2014-15

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - NIU007 - 04-25-2013 04:41 PM

(04-25-2013 04:06 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(04-25-2013 04:04 PM)moo Wrote:  No, they can't do anything right. They just have their network and make more money than God. That's all.
And of course there is all that research grant money, which is several multiples what athletics brings in for any of the "big money" conferences. After all, the reason we pretend that college football is anything but the professional NFL minor leagues is because its a lot easier to cheer for a sporting team than to cheer for the engineering and chemistry departments to work together to land a 1/4 share of a materials engineering research grant.

Imagine a spring game with engineers and chemists!

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - dbackjon - 04-25-2013 04:44 PM

Last two Men's Gymnastics Champs - Illinois and Michigan. Four of top Six teams were B1G
Seven of last 8 Women's LaCrosse titles (only exception - Maryland two years ago)

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - Hokie Mark - 04-25-2013 05:24 PM

Hey, I never said I agree with the article by Matt Brown... I asked what YOU thought about it. I was hoping to get a dialog going. Mission accomplished.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - True Bearcat - 04-25-2013 05:35 PM

[quote='He1nousOne' pid='9269682' dateline='1366922989'

That is why I hope Urban Meyer treats his Alma Mater differently then his previous stops, I hope he stays there awhile.
[/quote]

Urban Meyer is a University of Cincinnati grad.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - Minutemen429 - 04-25-2013 06:00 PM

No, but you can't say your wording in the poll wasn't trying to sway the vote.

(04-25-2013 05:24 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Hey, I never said I agree with the article by Matt Brown... I asked what YOU thought about it. I was hoping to get a dialog going. Mission accomplished.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - Hokie Mark - 04-25-2013 06:06 PM

(04-25-2013 05:24 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Hey, I never said I agree with the article by Matt Brown... I asked what YOU thought about it. I was hoping to get a dialog going. Mission accomplished.

(04-25-2013 06:00 PM)Minutemen429 Wrote:  No, but you can't say your wording in the poll wasn't trying to sway the vote.

I don't think there is any question that Big Ten football is down. The only question in my mind is whether it is 4th or 5th best (with ACC). No doubt in my mind that it's SEC, Big XII, Pac-12 1/2/3.

So that means one of 2 things: Big Ten football is either a shadow of it's former self - a paper tiger - or it's temporarily down and will rise again.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - Tiger8589 - 04-25-2013 06:11 PM

(04-25-2013 04:15 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I've been a much bigger defender of the ACC than most (I never thought for a second that FSU had any interest in the Big 12 or that UNC wanted to go to the Big Ten or SEC), but notion that they one-upped the Big Ten on any level is ridiculous. If the ACC ever bothered to do the things that the supposedly "can't do anything right" Big Ten was smart enough to do 7 years ago, then the ACC could have been the aggressors with their brands and geographic footprint. Instead, literally everything in conference realignment over the past 3 years was in *reaction* to what the Big Ten wanted to do. The fact that the ACC and, for that matter, Big 12 were able to save themselves and survive recently is admirable, but hardly a point to brag about compared to what the Big Ten has been able accomplish power-wise over the past decade.

You have your opinions just as others have theirs. Doesn't make either side right or wrong...that's all they are is opinion. The writer of the piece has just as valid an opinion as you or anyone else.

First off any Big10 discussion should start and end with it compared to the SEC...anything else is meaningless.

Doesn't matter what anyone really thinks in the grand scheme of things. If it's true the Big10 really did want North Carolina, Virginia, or whoever else it doesn't look like they had the POWER to pull it off. The Big 10 is fine today and for the foreseeable future but they face REAL long term challenges.

All the Big10 chest thumping is fine when talking about the ACC or whoever else but it stands to reason the talk should be more centered around is the Big10 ever going to close the gap with the SEC.

For goodness sakes.....I could care less but to make the statement the ACC has just been setting on the hands and have not done anything over the last several years to aggressively improve their brands and geographic footprint is simply not true.

Now while all may not fall in the 7 year category, for whatever that means, the ACC has added.

Florida St 1991
Miami 2004
Virginia Tech 2004
Boston College 2005
Syracuse 2013
Pittsburgh 2013
Notre Dame 2013 all sports except FB but a scheduling deal with FB
Louisville 2014

The ACC has more or less done all it could do over the years and somehow managed to stave off a serious raid. I thought they would get raided by the Big10, the implications would not have been felt AT ALL by the SEC because guess what they would have done the same thing if that ever happened.

As far as EVERYTHING in realignment being dictated by the Big10 that may or may not be true, who cares, everybody has an OPINION. One could also say the addition of Nebraska backfired because of what happened next.....Texas A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC, a move far more important in the grand scheme of things. The Texas A&M move is going to have monumental long term implications in regards to the power structure of college football.

So what exactly has the Big10 been able to accomplish power-wise? If the goal all along has been to remain a distant second behind the SEC one could say they have certainly succeeded in that regard, in fact an easy argument could be made the gap has even gotten larger between the SEC/Big10 after the last three years of realignment.

The SEC footprint, population wise, is expanding at a STAGGERING rate while the Big10 footprint is not. These population trends are going to continue over the next twenty years.

The SEC recruiting footprint, in terms of blue chip players, is so far ahead of the Big10 it's laughable. This gap is going to continue to widen.

So one could make the argument if the Big10 looks at the SEC as the only peer conference to them it has not done anything to close the gap.

The Big10 has it's own TV network....the SEC is about to do the same. Whatever the dollars come to I have no idea and neither do you but what I do know for certain is those millions can be invested and buy A LOT more of whatever in the SEC footprint that the Big10 footprint. Lets just use an example of say Rutgers/Missouri....random number here, give each 20 million today to build a practice facility, I would bet anything Missouri can get a significant amount more square footage than Rutgers for the exact same amount of money.

The Big 10 in reality has no more power today than ten years ago if you measure by the true measurement of the SEC/Big10 being peer conferences. The Big10 did not even dictate the terms of the new playoff format.

On a positive note: Maryland and Rutgers backed by the Big10 powerhouse brand can now go head to head with the Redskins, Ravens, NY Giants, NY Jets, NY Yankees, NY Mets, Nationals, Baltimore O's, NY Knicks, Brooklyn Nets and all the other pro sports teams in those regions....GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

Read this carefully, this is what the guy wrote in the article that was referenced and remember everything ultimately comes down to players and winning when comes to dominate sports brands:

For three hours on Thursday, on two national TV networks, the NFL will hold a coronation for the most talented players in college football. Roger Goodell will dish out hugs, and this year's class of first-round picks will don hats of their new teams, saying goodbye to their alma maters as college highlights roll under the voiceovers of Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock. It's an infomercial for the NFL; it's also an infomercial for college programs and their recruiting pitches.
And while the draft should be another showcase for the SEC, many would be surprised if the Big Ten even gets mentioned at all.

RE: Can the Big Ten do ANYTHING right? - NJRedMan - 04-25-2013 07:24 PM

(04-25-2013 06:11 PM)Tiger8589 Wrote:  
(04-25-2013 04:15 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  I've been a much bigger defender of the ACC than most (I never thought for a second that FSU had any interest in the Big 12 or that UNC wanted to go to the Big Ten or SEC), but notion that they one-upped the Big Ten on any level is ridiculous. If the ACC ever bothered to do the things that the supposedly "can't do anything right" Big Ten was smart enough to do 7 years ago, then the ACC could have been the aggressors with their brands and geographic footprint. Instead, literally everything in conference realignment over the past 3 years was in *reaction* to what the Big Ten wanted to do. The fact that the ACC and, for that matter, Big 12 were able to save themselves and survive recently is admirable, but hardly a point to brag about compared to what the Big Ten has been able accomplish power-wise over the past decade.

You have your opinions just as others have theirs. Doesn't make either side right or wrong...that's all they are is opinion. The writer of the piece has just as valid an opinion as you or anyone else.

First off any Big10 discussion should start and end with it compared to the SEC...anything else is meaningless.

Doesn't matter what anyone really thinks in the grand scheme of things. If it's true the Big10 really did want North Carolina, Virginia, or whoever else it doesn't look like they had the POWER to pull it off. The Big 10 is fine today and for the foreseeable future but they face REAL long term challenges.

All the Big10 chest thumping is fine when talking about the ACC or whoever else but it stands to reason the talk should be more centered around is the Big10 ever going to close the gap with the SEC.

For goodness sakes.....I could care less but to make the statement the ACC has just been setting on the hands and have not done anything over the last several years to aggressively improve their brands and geographic footprint is simply not true.

Now while all may not fall in the 7 year category, for whatever that means, the ACC has added.

Florida St 1991
Miami 2004
Virginia Tech 2004
Boston College 2005
Syracuse 2013
Pittsburgh 2013
Notre Dame 2013 all sports except FB but a scheduling deal with FB
Louisville 2014

The ACC has more or less done all it could do over the years and somehow managed to stave off a serious raid. I thought they would get raided by the Big10, the implications would not have been felt AT ALL by the SEC because guess what they would have done the same thing if that ever happened.

As far as EVERYTHING in realignment being dictated by the Big10 that may or may not be true, who cares, everybody has an OPINION. One could also say the addition of Nebraska backfired because of what happened next.....Texas A&M left the Big 12 for the SEC, a move far more important in the grand scheme of things. The Texas A&M move is going to have monumental long term implications in regards to the power structure of college football.

So what exactly has the Big10 been able to accomplish power-wise? If the goal all along has been to remain a distant second behind the SEC one could say they have certainly succeeded in that regard, in fact an easy argument could be made the gap has even gotten larger between the SEC/Big10 after the last three years of realignment.

The SEC footprint, population wise, is expanding at a STAGGERING rate while the Big10 footprint is not. These population trends are going to continue over the next twenty years.

The SEC recruiting footprint, in terms of blue chip players, is so far ahead of the Big10 it's laughable. This gap is going to continue to widen.

So one could make the argument if the Big10 looks at the SEC as the only peer conference to them it has not done anything to close the gap.

The Big10 has it's own TV network....the SEC is about to do the same. Whatever the dollars come to I have no idea and neither do you but what I do know for certain is those millions can be invested and buy A LOT more of whatever in the SEC footprint that the Big10 footprint. Lets just use an example of say Rutgers/Missouri....random number here, give each 20 million today to build a practice facility, I would bet anything Missouri can get a significant amount more square footage than Rutgers for the exact same amount of money.

The Big 10 in reality has no more power today than ten years ago if you measure by the true measurement of the SEC/Big10 being peer conferences. The Big10 did not even dictate the terms of the new playoff format.

On a positive note: Maryland and Rutgers backed by the Big10 powerhouse brand can now go head to head with the Redskins, Ravens, NY Giants, NY Jets, NY Yankees, NY Mets, Nationals, Baltimore O's, NY Knicks, Brooklyn Nets and all the other pro sports teams in those regions....GOOD LUCK WITH THAT.

Read this carefully, this is what the guy wrote in the article that was referenced and remember everything ultimately comes down to players and winning when comes to dominate sports brands:

For three hours on Thursday, on two national TV networks, the NFL will hold a coronation for the most talented players in college football. Roger Goodell will dish out hugs, and this year's class of first-round picks will don hats of their new teams, saying goodbye to their alma maters as college highlights roll under the voiceovers of Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock. It's an infomercial for the NFL; it's also an infomercial for college programs and their recruiting pitches.
And while the draft should be another showcase for the SEC, many would be surprised if the Big Ten even gets mentioned at all.

I'm sorry but the B1G just added 2 areas where the population dies not decrease. No one leaves the New York/DC area. New Jersey is the most densely populated state in the country.