CSNbbs
Rice announcers ? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Rice announcers ? (/thread-629576.html)

Rice announcers ? - grol - 04-14-2013 10:22 AM

The last couple of games -- which have been hard to listen to -- there appears to be a new play-by-play guy giving JP a spell during some mid innings. Not talking about Enrique. Anyone know who it is?

RE: Rice announcers ? - westsidewolf1989 - 04-14-2013 12:37 PM

Ryan Glassman...senior at Sid Rich

RE: Rice announcers ? - grol - 04-14-2013 01:33 PM

(04-14-2013 12:37 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  Ryan Glassman...senior at Sid Rich

Nice. Get the students in there.

RE: Rice announcers ? - At Ease - 04-14-2013 02:27 PM

(04-14-2013 01:33 PM)grol Wrote:  
(04-14-2013 12:37 PM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  Ryan Glassman...senior at Sid Rich

Nice. Get the students in there.

Agree. Won't happen though.

RE: Rice announcers ? - Hardball Owl - 04-15-2013 11:05 AM

Doing radio play-by-play for a full game without a color guy to help is downright brutal. It is really, really hard to do, even for the best radio announcers. It is even harder with such short breaks between innings.

I'm glad they've had more color commentators and somebody to spell the play-by-play guy this year. I know some on the Parliament are not big fans of J.P., but I admire how he has dealt with such a tough assignment.

RE: Rice announcers ? - West U Rice Fan - 04-15-2013 01:20 PM

I think JP is great.

RE: Rice announcers ? - OptimisticOwl - 04-15-2013 01:44 PM

I like him, but great is an overused word.

RE: Rice announcers ? - d1owls4life - 04-15-2013 02:12 PM

(04-15-2013 11:05 AM)Hardball Owl Wrote:  Doing radio play-by-play for a full game without a color guy to help is downright brutal. It is really, really hard to do, even for the best radio announcers. It is even harder with such short breaks between innings.

I'm glad they've had more color commentators and somebody to spell the play-by-play guy this year. I know some on the Parliament are not big fans of J.P., but I admire how he has dealt with such a tough assignment.

+1.

RE: Rice announcers ? - Owl 69/70/75 - 04-15-2013 03:03 PM

(04-15-2013 02:12 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  
(04-15-2013 11:05 AM)Hardball Owl Wrote:  Doing radio play-by-play for a full game without a color guy to help is downright brutal. It is really, really hard to do, even for the best radio announcers. It is even harder with such short breaks between innings.
+1.

Which is why one Vince Scully is even more impressive.

I remember several years ago, right after I got satellite radio, was listening to the LA feed of a Dodgers-Astros game. Craig Biggio came to bat, it was late in his career, and during the course of the at-bat Scully told me three things about Biggio that I had never heard before. And those who know me are well aware that I follow the Astros closely and followed Biggio's career closely. The guy is still the most prepared announcer in the business and it shows, every night, repeatedly.

RE: Rice announcers ? - JMay - 04-15-2013 09:27 PM

(04-15-2013 03:03 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(04-15-2013 02:12 PM)d1owls4life Wrote:  
+1.

Which is why one Vince Scully is even more impressive.

I remember several years ago, right after I got satellite radio, was listening to the LA feed of a Dodgers-Astros game. Craig Biggio came to bat, it was late in his career, and during the course of the at-bat Scully told me three things about Biggio that I had never heard before. And those who know me are well aware that I follow the Astros closely and followed Biggio's career closely. The guy is still the most prepared announcer in the business and it shows, every night, repeatedly.

I watched a Dodgers Astros game about 10 years ago and Vin Sculley was doing it by himself. He is possibly the best baseball announcer ever. He just seems to tell stories while slipping in the play by play.

RE: Rice announcers ? - WeatherfordOwl - 04-17-2013 09:44 PM

My son would love to do for a living what Vin Scully does. 'Good role model for him, professionally speaking. I don't know what he is like off mic so I have to reserve judgement.

RE: Rice announcers ? - Owl 69/70/75 - 04-17-2013 09:58 PM

(04-17-2013 09:44 PM)WeatherfordOwl Wrote:  My son would love to do for a living what Vin Scully does. 'Good role model for him, professionally speaking. I don't know what he is like off mic so I have to reserve judgement.

I've never heard anything bad about Vincent Scully from anyone in baseball, and I've spent a lot of time talking to a lot of people in baseball. Tiki has pointed out to me that Vin and Larry Miggins attended the same high school and a recent Chronicle article mentioned that they are friends. I will make a point to ask Larry about Vin at the next SABR meeting.

RE: Rice announcers ? - Ricefootballnet - 04-18-2013 10:26 AM

Noted that UH has released Tom Franklin as their play by play man. Just didn't renew his contract; wanted a new voice.

Tom did our play by play 10 or 12 years ago and I thought did a great job. He is a bit of a homer to whomever he's working for, but in an upbeat way, never to the point of overkill. He's a really nice guy who likes to get to know the players. I like Tom a lot.

Would hope that we might snare him at least to do football games for us. That would lighten JP's load a bit but still keep him plenty busy.

Admin shouldn't have to be thinking outside the box to figure this one out.

RE: Rice announcers ? - Da.Owl - 04-18-2013 11:04 AM

(04-18-2013 10:26 AM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  Noted that UH has released Tom Franklin as their play by play man. Just didn't renew his contract; wanted a new voice.

Tom did our play by play 10 or 12 years ago and I thought did a great job. He is a bit of a homer to whomever he's working for, but in an upbeat way, never to the point of overkill. He's a really nice guy who likes to get to know the players. I like Tom a lot.

Would hope that we might snare him at least to do football games for us. That would lighten JP's load a bit but still keep him plenty busy.

Admin shouldn't have to be thinking outside the box to figure this one out.

Isn't IMG running broadcasts and hiring announcers ?

RE: Rice announcers ? - Owl 69/70/75 - 04-18-2013 01:39 PM

Yeah, I'd support getting Tom involved in any way possible. Good announcer and a great guy.

RE: Rice announcers ? - Tiki Owl - 04-18-2013 01:41 PM

Money would be a problem like it was with Saltzman (and like it was for UH with Tom). IMG let both go because they couldn't make the money IMG wanted and still pay what David and Tom wanted. Want a tough job? Try selling time on Rice and UH broadcasts as IMG has found out.

RE: Rice announcers ? - grol - 04-18-2013 04:28 PM

"I want to see my Rockets!...I want to see my Astros!"

RE: Rice announcers ? - Rick Gerlach - 04-18-2013 07:56 PM

(04-18-2013 04:28 PM)grol Wrote:  "I want to see my Rockets!...I want to see my Astros!"

You know the implication is that Rice fans would be desperate to watch anything better than Rice sports . . . . including a last place team with no one on it who the fans can name (okay, Castro and Altuve, but still), so let's saturate them with advertising for competition for the sports dollar.

(granted, it's more about what the viewer CAN'T see, but maybe they think those fans are just watching Rice as a short term fix?)

RE: Rice announcers ? - Fort Bend Owl - 04-18-2013 08:02 PM

(04-17-2013 09:58 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(04-17-2013 09:44 PM)WeatherfordOwl Wrote:  My son would love to do for a living what Vin Scully does. 'Good role model for him, professionally speaking. I don't know what he is like off mic so I have to reserve judgement.

I've never heard anything bad about Vincent Scully from anyone in baseball, and I've spent a lot of time talking to a lot of people in baseball. Tiki has pointed out to me that Vin and Larry Miggins attended the same high school and a recent Chronicle article mentioned that they are friends. I will make a point to ask Larry about Vin at the next SABR meeting.

Milo Hamilton doesn't like Vin Scully.

RE: Rice announcers ? - Owl 69/70/75 - 04-18-2013 08:18 PM

(04-18-2013 08:02 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  
(04-17-2013 09:58 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
Milo Hamilton doesn't like Vin Scully.

Really? I've never heard that, but you would almost certainly know better than I regarding Milo. I can envision a few situations where they might have tangled. Of the two, I'll take Vin. I certainly prefer his call of the game. My opinion of Milo may be a bit tainted by my friendship with the Elston family, although Milo has always been nice to me in few the times our paths have crossed. Never really had any direct contact with Vin, just like his professionalism.