CSNbbs
Conference Realignment - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Proving Grounds (/forum-768.html)
+--- Forum: BigSouthbbs (/forum-12.html)
+---- Forum: Big South - North Division (/forum-786.html)
+----- Forum: Campbell (/forum-325.html)
+----- Thread: Conference Realignment (/thread-629215.html)

Pages: 1 2

Conference Realignment - CamelCrazie - 12-29-2012 06:34 PM

I know it would be a stretch but any chance Campbell makes a leap anytime soon to a different conference? Atlantic 10 could be looking as well as SoCon which we already have a relationship with.

I know we have a limited TV market which could hold us back but when I see UNCC start a football program and immediately jump from the Atlantic 10 to C-USA it gives me hope. I know their TV market is great.

RE: Conference Realignment - OrangeCamel - 12-29-2012 08:29 PM

Really intrigued with the SoCon right now. CofC is gone next year. The next dominoes, according to message board chatter, could be GaSouthern and App moving which might lead to even more leaving.

It would be a real shame for us if the SoCon didn't show any interest in bringing Campbell in as a replacement. 35 years in D-1, a presence in the Raleigh/Fay area, improving facilities and academics (med school, etc) should be attractive.

Along with the SoCon's situation, throw in Big South football only having the minimum 6 members after StonyBrook's departure and it gets more interesting.

RE: Conference Realignment - CamelCrazie - 12-29-2012 08:49 PM

What is the talk about App? Moving to FBS for football and therefore moving conferences?

RE: Conference Realignment - OrangeCamel - 01-24-2013 12:38 PM

Latest message board chatter.....

ETSU will add football and its a "done deal" that the Southern Conference will add ETSU, Mercer, and either North Florida or Kennesaw State.

Someone posted on ETSU's board that the Big South (with only 6 fb schools) wanted ETSU if they added football, but ETSU said no. Makes me wonder when this occurred....before the BSC added Longwood to get to 12 all-sports schools or was the Big South willing to go to 13 after after the addition of Longwood?

No current talk of anyone leaving or joining the Big South, but with the BSC football situation (at only 6 schools), stay tuned....

RE: Conference Realignment - CU97 - 01-24-2013 01:21 PM

The NCAA has turned into a move up(conference affliliation) or fall by the wayside league. I find it hard to believe that the BSC isnt pressuring CU to go scholly football and join BSC. With loss of Stony Brook and potentially others im sure they are putting feelers out. I wonder since Mr. Roller spent time at Samford in SOCON if hes lobbying for CU to join SOCON.

RE: Conference Realignment - fightingcamel2594 - 01-24-2013 05:54 PM

I'm not sure if this has any effect on the football situation or not, but does Title IX have anything to do with it? Is it because we'd have to add another women's scholarship program as well? Also, scholarships would cost a lot of money for football. Would the school considering cutting a sport that doesn't bring in as much money? Just some food for thought...

RE: Conference Realignment - OrangeCamel - 01-25-2013 06:28 PM

Big South Football might grow to 7 again with Monmouth (N.J.) as a fb associate member....

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4559714

RE: Conference Realignment - YaleCamel - 01-26-2013 07:35 AM

I thought that with the women's lax and swimming that balanced the Title IX numbers. There aren't many other realistic sports to add except maybe for field hockey. I think it's more of a money issue (50-60 scholarships are a lot!). I would love to see us move up to SoCon but I think the CAA may also be a fit, if we are to realign.

RE: Conference Realignment - YaleCamel - 03-03-2013 10:18 PM

While I'm here, given the apparent movement of Xavier and Butler from the A-10 to the new Catholic league, what could this potentially mean to Campbell? I imagine the A-10 tries to go after some regional schools that could be in our neighborhood (SoCon and CAA come to mine) which would open us slots for us. Has anyone heard any new news on this front?

RE: Conference Realignment - CU97 - 03-04-2013 10:10 AM

(03-03-2013 10:18 PM)YaleCamel Wrote:  While I'm here, given the apparent movement of Xavier and Butler from the A-10 to the new Catholic league, what could this potentially mean to Campbell? I imagine the A-10 tries to go after some regional schools that could be in our neighborhood (SoCon and CAA come to mine) which would open us slots for us. Has anyone heard any new news on this front?

Just heard last week(from reliable CU source) that the home side of the football stadium as been redesigned(bigger and bigger press box), due to the fact that "when" we play BSC scholly football it would work. it would also work for socon "if" we were to recieve an invite. i do know that the BSC is pressuring CU for the move to scholly football.

RE: Conference Realignment - Statman101 - 03-04-2013 11:52 AM

Won't happen. Scholarship football that is. CU won't take the finiancial hit.

RE: Conference Realignment - toley2345 - 03-04-2013 01:27 PM

I have heard that campbell will go scholarships and I have heard that they won't because they want to use it as a money maker. I think they want to see if they can win at the current level they are at, before they make the commitment financially.

RE: Conference Realignment - RedCamel - 03-04-2013 08:36 PM

Well I went to the Creek last week to the baseball game and saw them doing some digging over at the football stadium. Right now I just don't see us having the fan support to go scholarship. Would that change with schools that are closer to us coming into the Creek? Like Statman said, it would be a pretty big financial hit for the school.

RE: Conference Realignment - toley2345 - 03-04-2013 09:02 PM

(03-04-2013 08:36 PM)RedCamel Wrote:  Well I went to the Creek last week to the baseball game and saw them doing some digging over at the football stadium. Right now I just don't see us having the fan support to go scholarship. Would that change with schools that are closer to us coming into the Creek? Like Statman said, it would be a pretty big financial hit for the school.

I agree we dont have the fan support. I think once we put out a winning program that will all change. I think campbell wants is trying to put together a program that can win at this level than take the next step.

RE: Conference Realignment - toley2345 - 03-06-2013 03:17 PM

(01-26-2013 07:35 AM)YaleCamel Wrote:  I thought that with the women's lax and swimming that balanced the Title IX numbers. There aren't many other realistic sports to add except maybe for field hockey. I think it's more of a money issue (50-60 scholarships are a lot!). I would love to see us move up to SoCon but I think the CAA may also be a fit, if we are to realign.

How many scholarships do we award to wrestling?

RE: Conference Realignment - YaleCamel - 03-06-2013 11:37 PM

Looks like you can have up to 9.9 equivalency scholarships for wrastlin'. It's the same number as men's soccer. Here's the link.

http://www.speeddevelopment.net/NCAA_College_Scholarship_Rules_and_Limits_-_CollegeAthletes.com.pdf

RE: Conference Realignment - CamelNick88 - 03-07-2013 11:21 PM

(12-29-2012 06:34 PM)CamelCrazie Wrote:  I know it would be a stretch but any chance Campbell makes a leap anytime soon to a different conference? Atlantic 10 could be looking as well as SoCon which we already have a relationship with.

I know we have a limited TV market which could hold us back but when I see UNCC start a football program and immediately jump from the Atlantic 10 to C-USA it gives me hope. I know their TV market is great.

I don't believe there will be a conference jump not after just joining the Big South, who doesn't require us to have scholarship football YET. And we just picked up W. Lax to match Big South needs. I think we are staying put until football becomes scholarship and/or we pick up M. Lax/ Field Hockey. SoCon probably is the best bet if any. CAA/A-10 would be big stretches

RE: Conference Realignment - OrangeCamel - 03-14-2013 08:47 AM

US News and World Report now has Campbell in the top tier of law schools (with Duke, Wake, UNC).

Tell the SoCon.

(Nothing against the Big South...just want CU to be attractive to other leagues.)

RE: Conference Realignment - oldcamel - 03-14-2013 03:31 PM

I don't think the SoCon will really be a step up when all this is over. Charleston has already committed to the CAA. Georgia Southern and Appalachian are headed to the Sun Belt, more than likely this spring. Davidson turned down the CAA, with their eye on what has developed now (A-10 will lose as many as 4 teams to new Big East, Davidson is a natural fit in that league with Charlotte already in). That means the SoCon is going to have to fill spots with A-Sun or Big South teams. Rumor is that VMI could go back and ETSU could add football and go back. The only thing separating them from the Big South now is a higher quality of I-AA football.

RE: Conference Realignment - Statman101 - 03-14-2013 03:46 PM

(03-14-2013 03:31 PM)oldcamel Wrote:  I don't think the SoCon will really be a step up when all this is over. Charleston has already committed to the CAA. Georgia Southern and Appalachian are headed to the Sun Belt, more than likely this spring. Davidson turned down the CAA, with their eye on what has developed now (A-10 will lose as many as 4 teams to new Big East, Davidson is a natural fit in that league with Charlotte already in). That means the SoCon is going to have to fill spots with A-Sun or Big South teams. Rumor is that VMI could go back and ETSU could add football and go back. The only thing separating them from the Big South now is a higher quality of I-AA football.

And a higher basketball RPI? Right now the Big South is sandwiched at 30 between two HBCU conferences.

Also, Charlotte is headed to back CUSA and won't be in the A10 much longer.