CSNbbs
Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans (/thread-626932.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - TylerTiger - 03-28-2013 12:10 AM

I'll keep this short since I hardly ever do threads and am pretty sure this will be lost quick, but I just wanted to say a couple of things.

Every day I see something about what improvements Pastner needs to make, or what he needs, or what he should change, and all this other ridiculous crap. Sure, I understand it's a message board and its a place where fans can pretend they know what they're talking about, but sometimes it is frustrating.

All I knows is Coach Pastner needs one thing and it's the same thing every coach needs:

A fan base that loves, supports, and goes crazy for the program to be successful and continue being successful.

In all honesty, I believe that the coaches of any program will always know and see what they need to improve on, yet there are not enough fan bases that know what they need to improve themselves. And I often think that fans should take the time to look at the other fans, the community, and think: What can I, or what can we do to make the program, the atmosphere, and the community better to bring continued long-term success.

That is what coaches like Coach Pastner and Coach Fuente believe (and I am sure every other coach), in my opinion, and I think it is time, as fans, we always think about it as well.

We shouldn't worry about whether they leave or not, because if we are a great fanbase and great program, either we'll support the next guy to come in, or we'll be able to keep the guy who is in place content and proud to be a part of the program for a long time. And even then, I'd rather be known as a program that produces great coaches rather than a program that does nothing.

I understand it's not the majority of fans who do the negativity, but I think it's always good, even for the positive ones, to take a step back and see the big picture and see new and other opportunities.

Most importantly, I want to say that, as a young Tiger fan at 25 years, I am so happy, and proud to have Coach Pastner leading the basketball program, and it's one of the first times I have true pride, honor, and admiration for a coach rather than just the program. I think the things Coach Pastner has done for the program and Memphis are tremendous. He has done nothing but work himself to the bone to keep pushing the program, the student-athletes, and the community. I hope he is here for a long, long time, and I am thankful for his presence. Always be thankful when special individuals enter into your life, whether it's indirect like a coach, or direct like a friend.

Go Tigers Go!

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - SayWhat? - 03-28-2013 12:41 AM

(03-28-2013 12:10 AM)TylerTiger Wrote:  I'll keep this short since I hardly ever do threads and am pretty sure this will be lost quick, but I just wanted to say a couple of things.

Every day I see something about what improvements Pastner needs to make, or what he needs, or what he should change, and all this other ridiculous crap. Sure, I understand it's a message board and its a place where fans can pretend they know what they're talking about, but sometimes it is frustrating.

All I knows is Coach Pastner needs one thing and it's the same thing every coach needs:

A fan base that loves, supports, and goes crazy for the program to be successful and continue being successful.

In all honesty, I believe that the coaches of any program will always know and see what they need to improve on, yet there are not enough fan bases that know what they need to improve themselves. And I often think that fans should take the time to look at the other fans, the community, and think: What can I, or what can we do to make the program, the atmosphere, and the community better to bring continued long-term success.

That is what coaches like Coach Pastner and Coach Fuente believe (and I am sure every other coach), in my opinion, and I think it is time, as fans, we always think about it as well.

We shouldn't worry about whether they leave or not, because if we are a great fanbase and great program, either we'll support the next guy to come in, or we'll be able to keep the guy who is in place content and proud to be a part of the program for a long time. And even then, I'd rather be known as a program that produces great coaches rather than a program that does nothing.

I understand it's not the majority of fans who do the negativity, but I think it's always good, even for the positive ones, to take a step back and see the big picture and see new and other opportunities.

Most importantly, I want to say that, as a young Tiger fan at 25 years, I am so happy, and proud to have Coach Pastner leading the basketball program, and it's one of the first times I have true pride, honor, and admiration for a coach rather than just the program. I think the things Coach Pastner has done for the program and Memphis are tremendous. He has done nothing but work himself to the bone to keep pushing the program, the student-athletes, and the community. I hope he is here for a long, long time, and I am thankful for his presence. Always be thankful when special individuals enter into your life, whether it's indirect like a coach, or direct like a friend.

Go Tigers Go!

Ditto, and you gotta post more often. GTG

Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - memphischeer - 03-28-2013 01:54 AM

Nicely put and I completely agree! #TigerNation4Life

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - oldmangrizz - 03-28-2013 07:00 AM

(03-28-2013 12:10 AM)TylerTiger Wrote:  I'll keep this short since I hardly ever do threads and am pretty sure this will be lost quick, but I just wanted to say a couple of things.

Go Tigers Go!

I don't need a message board to pretend I know what I'm talking about. I can do it anywhere I want. At least that's what my wife says.

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - 83msu - 03-28-2013 07:02 AM

10-4 on that post.

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - daonepro - 03-28-2013 07:04 AM

(03-28-2013 07:00 AM)oldmangrizz Wrote:  

Go Tigers Go!

I don't need a message board to pretend I know what I'm talking about. I can do it anywhere I want. At least that's what my wife says.
LOL

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - Tanyaskees - 03-28-2013 07:30 AM

(03-28-2013 12:41 AM)SayWhat? Wrote:  

Go Tigers Go!

Ditto, and you gotta post more often. GTG

03-yes

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - Tanyaskees - 03-28-2013 07:32 AM

Go Tigers Go!

And we all know the wife (or GF) is always right!

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - Brother Bluto - 03-28-2013 07:43 AM

I think the 7 year contract extension pretty much says he has the fans THAT MATTER behind him.

#smh

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - memphischeer - 03-28-2013 08:09 AM

(03-28-2013 07:32 AM)Tanyaskees Wrote:  

Go Tigers Go!

And we all know the wife (or GF) is always right!

Happy Wife Happy Life!

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - papajohn - 03-28-2013 08:13 AM

Nice post TylerTiger.

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - OneShiningMoment - 03-28-2013 08:28 AM

Go Tigers Go!

I'm glad you at least kept it short.

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - misplaced tiger - 03-28-2013 08:30 AM

That was short?

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - Mimi - 03-28-2013 08:31 AM

Bottom line is we are likely to be realistic contenders for Final Four caliber teams for the next several years. We were this year too.

Does that mean it will always happen? Of course not.

But knowing you will have really good teams is a pretty good thing- especially since it takes really good teams to perform at an elite level.

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - ZachMan - 03-28-2013 08:33 AM

(03-28-2013 07:43 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  I think the 7 year contract extension pretty much says he has the fans THAT MATTER behind him.

#smh

Completely agree, I hate it when guys on the radio or on these boards act like a very, very few speak for the fanbase. We have maybe 100 people on here who post regularly, 98% of them are positive or at worst offer constructive criticism and really want whats best for the school. The radio is even dumber when the same callers call every show and the hosts allow that to represent the fanbase.

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - misplaced tiger - 03-28-2013 08:35 AM

Every coach has critics. Josh said it well himself that you have to have thick skin. If you think that the members of our athletic programs form their perceptions of the fans based solely on comments posted in this message board then you are stupid. People come here to vent when the team they LOVE doesn't perform well. I have no problem with that. I think it fine to praise and criticize coaches and players based on their performance. It's what we do when we're together in person, isn't it? This board, in part, is a proxy for that personal conversation.

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - Mphs_Tigers - 03-28-2013 08:40 AM

Very well said TylerTiger. I totally agree with you.

Something that I believe happens on this message board (as well as others) is that some of the so-called Tiger Fans are not really Tiger Fans at all. Because the UofM is positioned in the middle of the SEC area, I believe we get some SEC fans pretending to be Tiger fans and posting their negative comments just to stir up the real Tiger fans. They seem to have this belief that the Tigers are not as "legit" as their team or their school, so they feel the need to be negative or criticize the Tigers while posing as Tiger fans.

It's only message board banter, therefore I don't let it bother me. Honestly, I would rather see the passionate discussions back and fourth between fans, than see a message board with few or no posts at all. It just means that we are a passionate fan base. I don't agree or understand the verbal abuse that some posters feel the need to incorporate in their discussions, but they seem to have " personal issues".

We can all build up our Tigers and put down the other teams as much as we desire, it's what makes being fans so much fun. The bottom line is that the teams on the court or playing field have the ultimate say as which team is better. That's why they play the games.

Finally, when the tournaments are done, and the champions are crowned, it begins all over again next season. I just try to have fun and I don't take anything personnally.

GO TIGERS GO!!!

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - misplaced tiger - 03-28-2013 08:42 AM

Well said ^^

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - TylerTiger - 03-28-2013 10:32 AM

(03-28-2013 08:30 AM)misplaced tiger Wrote:  That was short?

Well, I spend most of my time writing 8 page essays or more for my classes at college so maybe I forget what short means every once in awhile lol.

RE: Coach Pastner and Memphis Fans - k2tigers - 03-28-2013 10:40 AM

(03-28-2013 08:31 AM)Mimi Wrote:  Bottom line is we are likely to be realistic contenders for Final Four caliber teams for the next several years. We were this year too.

Does that mean it will always happen? Of course not.

But knowing you will have really good teams is a pretty good thing- especially since it takes really good teams to perform at an elite level.

Exactly. Future is bright, in both of the big sports.