CSNbbs
Creighton center familiar with UC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Creighton center familiar with UC (/thread-625835.html)

Creighton center familiar with UC - ctipton - 03-22-2013 10:30 AM

Creighton center familiar with UC
03/21/13 at 4:43pm by Bill Koch

There’s more to Creighton’s offense than All-American forward Doug McDermott and a strong perimeter shooting game.

At 6-foot-9, 260 pounds, Creighton senior center Gregory Echenique is a load to handle in the low post, where he averages 9.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.7 blocked shots.

Echenique transferred to Creighton from Rutgers, where he was recruited by current UC assistant coach Darren Savino, but has remade his body and his game with the Bluejays.

“He’s in much better shape,” said UC coach Mick Cronin. “I was amazed at the way he moves on the court. You really have to give the credit…He’s a big-time player. He may not have gaudy offensive numbers but he’s invaluable to their success and he would be if he was on my team.

“Watching him, you say, man, I wish I had that guy. When you watch film and you say that about a guy, that’s probably the biggest compliment you can give a guy.”

Echenique has told his teammates what to expect from UC based on his experience playing against the Bearcats while he was at Rutgers.

“I told them they’re very athletic and they play hard,” Echenqiue said. “They’re a team that’s not really intimidated by anything and I’m pretty sure that they haven’t changed their philosophy since the last time I played them. Watching film, I can tell they have the same mentality. They’re a tough team and it’s going to be a fist fight. But we’ll be ready for it.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2013/03/21/creighton-center-familiar-with-uc/

RE: Creighton center familiar with UC - Ring of Black - 03-22-2013 11:32 AM

Talk about McDermott, etc., all you want, but this guy scares me too, if he plays up to his average vs. our post players.

RE: Creighton center familiar with UC - Former Lurker - 03-22-2013 12:12 PM

Can't criticize Mick on this one...at least he tried to reel him in.

RE: Creighton center familiar with UC - Bearhawkeye - 03-22-2013 12:49 PM

(03-22-2013 12:12 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Can't criticize Mick on this one...
Agreed, that would be silly.

Quote:at least he tried to reel him in.

Hmm, you may want to re-read the article...

RE: Creighton center familiar with UC - Former Lurker - 03-22-2013 01:54 PM

(03-22-2013 12:49 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(03-22-2013 12:12 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  Can't criticize Mick on this one...
Agreed, that would be silly.

Quote:at least he tried to reel him in.

Hmm, you may want to re-read the article...

I stand corrected...it's hard to catch everything when reading on a phone...so can we give Mick a hard time for missing this kid then?

RE: Creighton center familiar with UC - Ring of Black - 03-23-2013 01:06 PM

(03-22-2013 12:49 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Hmm, you may want to re-read the article...

Yes... Savino recruited him on behalf of Rutgers (not us).

RE: Creighton center familiar with UC - Captain Bearcat - 03-25-2013 02:57 PM

The kid is from Venezuela and went to prep school in New Jersey. And it's not like he blossomed out of nowhere; he had offers from Duke, Maryland, Pitt, Memphis, Miami, Notre Dame, Rutgers, and Penn.

I'm not going to fault Cronin for failing to reel in this kid.