CSNbbs
I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan (/thread-612474.html)

Pages: 1 2

I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - cmt - 01-10-2013 06:30 PM

All of you with kids need to think a little more about what you are saying in front of/teaching your youngsters.

A twelve year old at the game last night sounded like a bunch of us here sound. He, at age twelve, said that Pastner seemed like a good guy, but was a bad coach. He said the team isn't any good and that Louisville was our rival and Tennessee was not.

Everything out of his mouth came from his friends (friend's family) and family.

A twelve year old Tiger fan should be excited about the game and see the players as heros, not worried about the inner workings of college basketball politics.

I say lighten up and enjoy the game. I think we'd all enjoy the season a little more. We are 11-3, one Atlantis win away from a top 20 ranking. That's not the end of the world, is it?

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - Merrick - 01-10-2013 08:03 PM

^^^ this ^^^

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - shere khan - 01-10-2013 08:08 PM

Stupid is inherited

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - IRISHMO120 - 01-10-2013 08:15 PM

So of the posters here must know this kid #talkingpoints

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - memphis88 - 01-10-2013 11:51 PM

Lucky he's even paying attention. Most kids that age I see at the games are playing games on iPhones and stuff. Hell, even Pastner's step-son has his nose buried in some type of handheld gaming system during games.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - salukiblue - 01-11-2013 12:33 AM

(01-10-2013 11:51 PM)memphis88 Wrote:  Hell, even Pastner's step-son has his nose buried in some type of handheld gaming system during games.

Uh-ohâ„¢

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - tigergeorge55 - 01-11-2013 01:41 AM

(01-10-2013 06:30 PM)cmt Wrote:  All of you with kids need to think a little more about what you are saying in front of/teaching your youngsters.

A twelve year old at the game last night sounded like a bunch of us here sound. He, at age twelve, said that Pastner seemed like a good guy, but was a bad coach. He said the team isn't any good and that Louisville was our rival and Tennessee was not.

Everything out of his mouth came from his friends (friend's family) and family.

A twelve year old Tiger fan should be excited about the game and see the players as heros, not worried about the inner workings of college basketball politics.

I say lighten up and enjoy the game. I think we'd all enjoy the season a little more. We are 11-3, one Atlantis win away from a top 20 ranking. That's not the end of the world, is it?

I'm to much into the game and shouting to be listening to a kid talk about what his parents think. You can't change the parents, you can't change the kid. He believes he knows what he is talking about because his parents do, and only winning and good competition in the future will change their minds. I stopped arguing with them.
03-banghead

GO TIGERS GO!!!!

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - TigerJJ - 01-11-2013 02:06 AM

He was wrong about the 1st statement, but nailed the last 2, so not bad for a 12 year old. We have been taking my oldest grandson to the games since he was 2 years old and even at that age he was really into it. He would watch the games intently and understand what was happening on the court. Afterward he could tell you the names of the players, their jersey numbers, how many points they scored, etc.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - AmazingTigerMan - 01-11-2013 07:22 AM

(01-10-2013 06:30 PM)cmt Wrote:  All of you with kids need to think a little more about what you are saying in front of/teaching your youngsters.

I guess I don't understand your point. If the kid launched into a tirade of profanity, then yes, someone is being a bad influence. But to say Pastner is a good guy (which I personally agree with) and a bad coach (I don't really agree with, but if that is the way the kids sees it), I have no issue with. If my son made that comment at age 12, I would have had no issue either. If you are convinced these are his parents thoughts, fine, but his parents are allowed to have this view point as well.

And I guess I do not know enough to be able to tell another fan how they should enjoy the game.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas - 01-11-2013 07:36 AM

(01-11-2013 07:22 AM)AmazingTigerMan Wrote:  

I guess I don't understand your point. If the kid launched into a tirade of profanity, then yes, someone is being a bad influence. But to say Pastner is a good guy (which I personally agree with) and a bad coach (I don't really agree with, but if that is the way the kids sees it), I have no issue with. If my son made that comment at age 12, I would have had no issue either. If you are convinced these are his parents thoughts, fine, but his parents are allowed to have this view point as well.

And I guess I do not know enough to be able to tell another fan how they should enjoy the game.

Some people just don't know how to enjoy a game. They only see the bad and only discuss the bad. They often fail to see the good stuff, which makes enjoying the experience impossible.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - AmazingTigerMan - 01-11-2013 07:41 AM

(01-11-2013 07:36 AM)Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Wrote:  

Some people just don't know how to enjoy a game. They only see the bad and only discuss the bad. They often fail to see the good stuff, which makes enjoying the experience impossible.

I guess I have simply learned that my enjoyment in life is not a function of other people. They can feel how they wish, it will not make my enjoyment any less.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas - 01-11-2013 07:43 AM

(01-11-2013 07:41 AM)AmazingTigerMan Wrote:  

I guess I have simply learned that my enjoyment in life is not a function of other people. They can feel how they wish, it will not make my enjoyment any less.

I was referring to individual reacting to the game, not their responses to others.

But point taken. 04-cheers

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - cmt - 01-11-2013 07:54 AM

(01-11-2013 07:43 AM)Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Wrote:  

I was referring to individual reacting to the game, not their responses to others.

I guess you are proving my point. My point is, when I was a kid going to the Coliseum, I didn't even consider having an opinion about getting rid of a coach (or even why or who the coach was or his win loss record against Whatsamatta U) or bad mouthing players. I was there to cheer on my team to victory. Whether it was Louisville or Baltimore Polytechnical institute, I was happy when we won and sad when we lost, but my converstaion with my parents before and after the game was about the game and not about the off court decisions made by coaches, players, AD's and media talking heads.

I am simply saying, watch what you are saying, because your kids are listening intently. We are Tiger fans or we wouldn't be there, and only spewing negativity is not good for you, your kids, your team or me.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - hongkongtiger - 01-11-2013 07:55 AM

I would not put too much stock in this situation. I am sure this 12 year old assumed he was amongst friends and fellow tiger fans. I am sure if someone with a Louisville Cardinals T-shirt came up to him and uttered the same statements his response would make most of us Tiger Fans proud.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas - 01-11-2013 07:58 AM

(01-11-2013 07:54 AM)cmt Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 07:36 AM)Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas Wrote:  [quote='AmazingTigerMan' pid='8819329' dateline='1357906922']

I guess you are proving my point. My point is, when I was a kid going to the Coliseum, I didn't even consider having an opinion about getting rid of a coach (or even why or who the coach was or his win loss record against Whatsamatta U) or bad mouthing players. I was there to cheer on my team to victory. Whether it was Louisville or Baltimore Polytechnical institute, I was happy when we won and sad when we lost, but my converstaion with my parents before and after the game was about the game and not about the off court decisions made by coaches, players, AD's and media talking heads.

I am simply saying, watch what you are saying, because your kids are listening intently. We are Tiger fans or we wouldn't be there, and only spewing negativity is not good for you, your kids, your team or me.

Oh I totally agree.

It has really changed. Everyone thinks they are an AD or coach now.

Just "fans" are not the norm now.

I know exactly what you mean. Everyone has an opinion about everything that's wrong now and there is less and less talk about whats great to be a tiger fan. Didn't used to be that way.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - OhHellsYeah - 01-11-2013 08:08 AM

(01-11-2013 07:54 AM)cmt Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 07:22 AM)AmazingTigerMan Wrote:  I guess I don't understand your point. If the kid launched into a tirade of profanity, then yes, someone is being a bad influence. But to say Pastner is a good guy (which I personally agree with) and a bad coach (I don't really agree with, but if that is the way the kids sees it), I have no issue with. If my son made that comment at age 12, I would have had no issue either. If you are convinced these are his parents thoughts, fine, but his parents are allowed to have this view point as well.

I find it rather insulting that you think you know better how to raise someone's kid better than they do. You are crossing the line.

I've read what the kid supposedly said a few times and I'm trying to find all this "negativity". So he doesn't think he's a good coach (or his parents think that). That's not negative, it's an opinion (one that many around the country feel too). And then he said he thinks we have a real rivalry with Loserville and not TN. Again, his (their) beliefs. I see no negativity.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - IRISHMO120 - 01-11-2013 08:22 AM

"I find it rather insulting" Line of the day so far but it's early yet....however this is the correct place to be insulted.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas - 01-11-2013 08:25 AM

(01-11-2013 08:08 AM)OhHellsYeah Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 07:54 AM)cmt Wrote:  [quote='Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas' pid='8819358' dateline='1357908206']
[quote='AmazingTigerMan' pid='8819353' dateline='1357908113']
[quote='Jedi Master Sipho-Dyas' pid='8819347' dateline='1357907780']

I find it rather insulting that you think you know better how to raise someone's kid better than they do. You are crossing the line.

You have got to be kidding.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - Brother Bluto - 01-11-2013 08:45 AM

Sounds like a smart kid to me.

RE: I had an interesting conversation with a young Tiger fan - IRISHMO120 - 01-11-2013 09:24 AM

Smart arse lil' whipper snapper....eh