CSNbbs
Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? (/thread-612325.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - GameTime_21 - 01-09-2013 11:13 PM

“Yellow Journalism” is a term used in media for a situation where the reporter presents little or no well-researched news and instead uses eye catching headlines to sell his product. Tommy Tuberville may be the victim of such a tactic both in print media and the on radio.

http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Article/Tommy-Tuberville-An-Unfair-Target-110642

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - Bearcat Otto - 01-10-2013 10:43 AM

If it comes out that this "thinks he is important" high school coach suggested that Kyle Kempt re-open his recruitment to try to improve his options, why would a school like UC want to work with him and his school. Apparently he thinks that his player is better than UC's program even though the kid originally committed.

It sounds as if the kid wanted to go to UC partly because of their engineering program. Unless this kid has NFL talent potential, and who really knows that until he proves himself in the college game, this self serving coach may have done harm to this kids future in his career after college.

If this coach was playing a power play because of the coaching change and lost, he has done a great diservice to both the player and his school.

I hope he ends up with a good education and enjoys his college time wherever he end up.

To the coach...stay out of kids decision and focus on your job; winning football games at the high school level. You are a coach not a placement counseler.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - bearcatmill - 01-10-2013 11:55 AM

Under the above definition the Enquirer has been practicing "Yellow Journalism" for years.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - Ring of Black - 01-10-2013 12:42 PM

Good to see someone in the media stick up for CTT, since CTT himself is not allowed to comment on recruiting, and actually defend himself here.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - QSECOFR - 01-10-2013 12:49 PM

Great write-up - thx!

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - lazyeyep22 - 01-10-2013 05:39 PM

RT @RecruitingAJC Recruit's father on Tommy Tuberville: "It's a bad situation" http://t.co/EeIUfWj1 -- Pat Forde (@YahooForde)

This is really getting out of control. I think Tuberville has been unfairly targeted on some of these things, but it gets harder to defend against the barrage of accusations.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - SuperFlyBCat - 01-10-2013 05:53 PM

(01-10-2013 05:39 PM)lazyeyep22 Wrote:  RT @RecruitingAJC Recruit's father on Tommy Tuberville: "It's a bad situation" http://t.co/EeIUfWj1 -- Pat Forde (@YahooForde)

This is really getting out of control. I think Tuberville has been unfairly targeted on some of these things, but it gets harder to defend against the barrage of accusations.

Happens with every coaching change. Why isn't Tennessee offering him?

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - bearcatmill - 01-10-2013 06:00 PM

This happens all the time - new coach comes in and doesn't retain the former coach's recruits.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - bearcatmill - 01-10-2013 06:01 PM

(01-10-2013 05:53 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 05:39 PM)lazyeyep22 Wrote:  RT @RecruitingAJC Recruit's father on Tommy Tuberville: "It's a bad situation" http://t.co/EeIUfWj1 -- Pat Forde (@YahooForde)

Happens with every coaching change. Why isn't Tennessee offering him?

I also find this interesting - Lyle signs these kids to UC but doesn't want anything to o with them at UT

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - Cat-Man - 01-10-2013 06:15 PM

(01-10-2013 06:00 PM)bearcatmill Wrote:  This happens all the time - new coach comes in and doesn't retain the former coach's recruits.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but when Mark Dantonio arrived he pretty much pulled all offers that were out by Minter's staff. He was raked thru the coals for it, especially by the local HS coaches at the time, but ultimately it worked out because UC ended up with higher caliber of players.

Jones was getting some good players, but overall his classes seem to be a bit MAC-ish. Maybe CTT thinks he can do better than what was offered by the previous regime.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - Nellie - 01-10-2013 06:47 PM

If you look at most of the the guys that de committed and their offers now, most are MAC and CUSA schools...CTT is looking for higher level guys. This happens all the time during coaching changes and at bigger name programs. Not sure why Tuberville is suddenly the media s whipping boy.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - CD11 - 01-10-2013 07:28 PM

(01-10-2013 06:47 PM)Nellie Wrote:  Not sure why Tuberville is suddenly the media s whipping boy.

Fits in nicely with the narrative that got established a few weeks back with that bogus 'omg Tubs left during dinner!!111" story.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - CliftonAve - 01-10-2013 07:28 PM

(01-10-2013 06:47 PM)Nellie Wrote:  If you look at most of the the guys that de committed and their offers now, most are MAC and CUSA schools...CTT is looking for higher level guys. This happens all the time during coaching changes and at bigger name programs. Not sure why Tuberville is suddenly the media s whipping boy.

Because he came here.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - CDS86 - 01-10-2013 08:03 PM

Not that I'm condoning pulling offers (I think the players should at least get a phone call as a courtesy), but it does look like CTT is bringing in a lot more talent from a "star" standpoint based on the JUCO players he's signed and the visitors we have in the upcoming weeks.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - rath v2.0 - 01-10-2013 09:11 PM

I think it is great. Go get the players you want and the players you know. Why be stuck with kids you have never seen let alone evaluated? Makes no sense for the school or the recruit. When there is a coaching change all bets are off. Reason negative recruiting on rumors of interviews is so effective. People blasted Dantonio for what he did when e came in but it was the right call...a lot of those kids Minter recruited were pissed because they were just not good enough for what Dantonio wanted to do in the BE so they ended up at lower tier programs.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - Bearcats#1 - 01-10-2013 09:24 PM

(01-10-2013 09:11 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I think it is great. Go get the players you want and the players you know. Why be stuck with kids you have never seen let alone evaluated? Makes no sense for the school or the recruit. When there is a coaching change all bets are off. Reason negative recruiting on rumors of interviews is so effective. People blasted Dantonio for what he did when e came in but it was the right call...a lot of those kids Minter recruited were pissed because they were just not good enough for what Dantonio wanted to do in the BE so they ended up at lower tier programs.

spot on

Tuberville didn't recruit the kid...it's not his concern. He will get the kids HE wants. If Lyle doesn't want this kid at TN then sorry....not our problem and TT shouldn't be made the villain for it.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - BeerCat - 01-10-2013 09:27 PM

(01-10-2013 09:11 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I think it is great. Go get the players you want and the players you know. Why be stuck with kids you have never seen let alone evaluated? Makes no sense for the school or the recruit. When there is a coaching change all bets are off. Reason negative recruiting on rumors of interviews is so effective. People blasted Dantonio for what he did when e came in but it was the right call...a lot of those kids Minter recruited were pissed because they were just not good enough for what Dantonio wanted to do in the BE so they ended up at lower tier programs.

And on the flipside why would the kid want to be there if he knows the coach doesn't want him. It's bad for both parties. Move on.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - Bearhawkeye - 01-10-2013 11:16 PM

I disagree that UC and TT should feel free to discard any and all committed players. We always hear that players should commit to the school rather than the coach because you never know what will happen and that's never been more true. UC should stand for something (we still do have ethics courses don't we?) and honor its commitments.

That said I do think there is a lot of wiggle room as far as a new coach having a conversation (yes actually talk to the commit) about how he might or might NOT fit in to his program. I also don't think "committed but still actively shopping" is a real commitment and obviously things like subsequent legal or behavioral issues change the situation.

But my bottom line is if a kid is truly committed to UC and shows it by doing the right things (and I'm not saying this is/was the case for any of our recruits as the details are murky), we fail if we don't honor that. And if I'm Whit or Santa I don't allow that type of failure and I make that clear during the hiring process.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - BeerCat - 01-11-2013 06:47 AM

(01-10-2013 11:16 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  We always hear that players should commit to the school rather than the coach because you never know what will happen and that's never been more true.

I don't hear that from people much anymore. That mentality is from a long lost era.

RE: Tommy Tuberville An Unfair Target? - rath v2.0 - 01-11-2013 07:09 AM

This.