CSNbbs
Flashcards - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Flashcards (/thread-610538.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Flashcards - smoothsouthpaw - 01-01-2013 05:30 PM

"Winning is in the cards for Utah State"[/quote]

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/27914288

[Fans of college football went wild for Oregon this season. The Ducks played fast on the gridiron, in part because of a visually arresting play-calling style that allowed the coach to signal in plays from the sideline quickly. In Eugene, it was huge pieces of posterboard with seemingly random images, big enough to be seen from yards away.

Visual play calling on that scale was a relatively new thing to college football, but college hoops coaches have used flash cards for years. Utah State's Stew Morrill, for instance, has a sophisticated system of play calling that dates all the way back to his time as an assistant at Montana, where he worked with current Cal coach Mike Montgomery in a system they learned from the legendary Jud Heathcote.

"I think the origination of calling plays with cards goes back to those guys," Morril said. "It’s always been what I’ve been comfortable with. I like knowing what my team’s running and being able to change it."

The system has had to evolve, of course. The simplistic version Morrill ran years ago was cracked over time.

"We went to two sets of cards a number of years ago. Actually, way back when I was at Colorado State, we had the student body at BYU chanting out our calls to their players," Morrill said with a chuckle.

After that, Morrill had his artistically talented son, who was around 13 at the time, add illustrations to change the interpretation of each card before he adopted the two-card system. The images only lasted that one year, but changes kept coming. The longer he coaches, the more complex the system becomes.

"Now we have color coded cards and we can use the red, we can use the blue. We can also designate it by which assistant is holding the cards," Morrill said. "Our plays can be called three different ways. We have a play called ‘dribble’. We can just verbalize it, say ‘dribble’, we can hold up the card, and the third way we can use is a hand signal. It’s a little more sophisticated than people might think."

Morrill's team has led the nation in field goal percentage three of the past seven years. He credits the play-calling system for giving him flexibility and precise control over the action on the court, even on the fly. He says every player on the floor is responsible for looking to see what play is being run, not just the point guard. The Aggies begin practice from day one with the card system in place. By the time the regular season comes around, everyone is expected to know the ins and outs of Morrill's approach.

"They are getting a college education," Morrill deadpanned. "So they ought to be able to read signs."

No. 12 Utah State will take on No. 5 Kansas State on March 17 at 10:00 p.m. ET. |]

RE: Flashcards - BealeStreetTiger - 01-01-2013 05:56 PM

Interesting. Maybe this is where Josh got system from.

RE: Flashcards - Dmalice - 01-01-2013 06:46 PM

Makes no sense for basketball.

RE: Flashcards - hopeum - 01-01-2013 06:50 PM

I agree, and Oregon isnt in the title game, they must have left the flashcards on the ground when changing costumes every quarter, and against Stanford. The PAC 12 is fairing horribly in the bowl season. Bad example, good rhetoric.. Now if Saban was using flash cards we might be on to something...but utah state? Damn you information age. Not everything is worth a story!

RE: Flashcards - 21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha - 01-01-2013 07:10 PM

(01-01-2013 06:50 PM)hopeum Wrote:  I agree, and Oregon isnt in the title game, they must have left the flashcards on the ground when changing costumes every quarter, and against Stanford. The PAC 12 is fairing horribly in the bowl season. Bad example, good rhetoric.. Now if Saban was using flash cards we might be on to something...but utah state? Damn you information age. Not everything is worth a story!

The Ducks humbly apologize to you for not being in the title game. Must've been those darn flashcards! 03-lmfao

RE: Flashcards - TrippedOutTiger - 01-01-2013 07:11 PM

I used flashcards at school and they helped me!!!!

RE: Flashcards - BealeStreetTiger - 01-01-2013 07:17 PM

(01-01-2013 06:46 PM)Dmalice Wrote:  Makes no sense for basketball.

Please explain why not.

RE: Flashcards - MemphisCanes - 01-01-2013 07:38 PM

Why??

RE: Flashcards - TrippedOutTiger - 01-01-2013 07:40 PM

What's the difference between a flash card and holding up fingers!!??!? Nothing!!!!

RE: Flashcards - missjtiger - 01-01-2013 07:42 PM

Some folks are going to think everything Josh does, says or thinks about saying is dumb.

RE: Flashcards - bubbapt - 01-01-2013 08:46 PM

I only get to watch the games on TV.

Is 20 always the 2-3 zone, and 14 the man-to-man?

Other numbers?

RE: Flashcards - hopeum - 01-01-2013 11:29 PM

(01-01-2013 07:10 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 06:50 PM)hopeum Wrote:  I agree, and Oregon isnt in the title game, they must have left the flashcards on the ground when changing costumes every quarter, and against Stanford. The PAC 12 is fairing horribly in the bowl season. Bad example, good rhetoric.. Now if Saban was using flash cards we might be on to something...but utah state? Damn you information age. Not everything is worth a story!

The Ducks humbly apologize to you for not being in the title game. Must've been those darn flashcards! 03-lmfao

Ill forgive the ducks if they leave the cute plethora of costumes to "insert girl singer here" concerts!!

The point is when a team is extremely successful while using flash cards, then we can put it on national news.. Until then it is a rather dull story..

RE: Flashcards - 21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha - 01-01-2013 11:45 PM

(01-01-2013 11:29 PM)hopeum Wrote:  

Ill forgive the ducks if they leave the cute plethora of costumes to "insert girl singer here" concerts!!

The point is when a team is extremely successful while using flash cards, then we can put it on national news.. Until then it is a rather dull story..

Seems to me they are VERY successful and you are very jealous. Teams who win as much as they do can wear purple...or green and get away with it. Yes, it's real nice to have a Nike contract.

Flashcards - lenetzach - 01-01-2013 11:54 PM

I guess Magic Johnson's national championship winning coach was an idiot huh?

LOL

Flashcards - lenetzach - 01-01-2013 11:58 PM

I'm sorry but Jud Heathcote kills the anti-flash card argument.

Kills it dead.

RE: Flashcards - hopeum - 01-02-2013 12:45 AM

(01-01-2013 11:45 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 11:29 PM)hopeum Wrote:  

Seems to me they are VERY successful and you are very jealous. Teams who win as much as they do can wear purple...or green and get away with it. Yes, it's real nice to have a Nike contract.

??? Are you a very Oregon fan or very graduate?? Alabama is very successful. Duke is a very successful basketball school.. Very successful means national titles.. Oregon is very successful with their variety of costumes, but not in college football.

RE: Flashcards - klg316 - 01-02-2013 01:21 AM

(01-01-2013 11:58 PM)lenetzach Wrote:  I'm sorry but Jud Heathcote kills the anti-flash card argument.

Kills it dead.

Stew Morrill knows a little bit about basketball as well.

RE: Flashcards - Sundanceuiuc - 01-02-2013 01:38 AM

(01-01-2013 05:30 PM)smoothsouthpaw Wrote:  "They are getting a college education," Morrill deadpanned. "So they ought to be able to read signs."

Yes, yes indeed...

RE: Flashcards - fsquid - 01-02-2013 10:26 AM

since my comment was deleted, I would just like to reiterate it without posting it. Still applies, even more so.

RE: Flashcards - salukiblue - 01-02-2013 10:36 AM

(01-01-2013 07:38 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  

Why??

Football has downtime in between EVERY play, meaning the players can all stop and take a look at the sideline while the ball is not live (same for a huddle--why don't basketball teams huddle after every play?).

In basketball, the ball is live after a basket and requiring teams to look around and wait for a coach to pick up a card can be disruptive.

Also, USU is a soemwhat slow paced team, so Morrill's use of cars is in line with a more deliberate play style. Most here complain Memphis doesn't push the ball hard enough, certainly can't do that when the team has to focus on the coach pulling out cards.