CSNbbs
Legion Field - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Legion Field (/thread-606556.html)

Pages: 1 2

Legion Field - GreenHornet33 - 12-11-2012 03:43 PM

Guys usually I try to stick up for the old gray lady because I've never had a bad experience there but Saturday may have changed my mind. First there were only 4 concession stands open on Saturday and they kept running out of stuff. The first stand (top level, home side) was out of everything except nachos and had no napkins, the second ran out of bottled water and hot dogs. How does this happen? Birmingham has been hosting the SWAC Championship game since 1999 so they should be well aware of what type of crowd to expect. I stood in line for over 20-minutes just to get some darn nachos03-banghead Everyone that I talked to was very upset with how unprepared the staff was for the game Saturday.

RE: Legion Field - the_blazerman - 12-11-2012 03:47 PM

Welcome to my world, won't you come on in.

RE: Legion Field - Smaug - 12-11-2012 03:48 PM

Welcome to our world.

RE: Legion Field - BlazrDawg - 12-11-2012 03:50 PM

Sorry you had to come to grips with what we gripe about regarding the "amenities" at Legion Field for UAB games once you come through the turnstyles. Maybe a letter writing campaign of your fellow fans to our illustrious mayor would be a good first step to put the situation in the limelight.

RE: Legion Field - KevMo4UAB - 12-11-2012 03:57 PM

The place needs to be imploded.

RE: Legion Field - ATTALLABLAZE - 12-11-2012 03:59 PM

Welcome to our world.

RE: Legion Field - BeliefBlazer - 12-11-2012 04:01 PM

You should have played the game in the dome.

[Image: populous-design---1014jpg-0fcd77682a345af3_large.jpg]

RE: Legion Field - Smaug - 12-11-2012 04:13 PM

(12-11-2012 03:57 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  The place needs to be imploded.

A couple of M-80s dropped in the right toilets would likely do the trick.

RE: Legion Field - Blaze4Pres - 12-11-2012 04:16 PM

(12-11-2012 04:13 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

C4 goes a long way with demolition purposes.

RE: Legion Field - GreenHornet33 - 12-11-2012 04:21 PM

(12-11-2012 03:50 PM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  Sorry you had to come to grips with what we gripe about regarding the "amenities" at Legion Field for UAB games once you come through the turnstyles. Maybe a letter writing campaign of your fellow fans to our illustrious mayor would be a good first step to put the situation in the limelight.

According to the HBCU sites the commish has been receiving letters and calls about this past weekend. The thread on the SWAC page is now over 20 pages.03-banghead I honestly though you guys were just throwing out sour grapes about the old gray lady, I know understand where you guys are coming from.

RE: Legion Field - ATTALLABLAZE - 12-11-2012 04:23 PM

The city simply does not give two 01-scouts about us.

RE: Legion Field - Uncle BLAZER - 12-11-2012 04:45 PM

(12-11-2012 04:01 PM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  You should have played the game in the dome.

[Image: populous-design---1014jpg-0fcd77682a345af3_large.jpg]

BOOM! THAT.

And don't think it won't happen Mayor Bell.

RE: Legion Field - UAB Band Dad - 12-11-2012 05:10 PM

Was there toilet paper in the restrooms?

Season before last the home locker room didn't have hot water.

Welcome to UAB's "home field advantage".

RE: Legion Field - GreenHornet33 - 12-11-2012 05:13 PM

(12-11-2012 05:10 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  Was there toilet paper in the restrooms?

Season before last the home locker room didn't have hot water.

Welcome to UAB's "home field advantage".

There was TP but no paper towels in the bathroom that I went to.03-banghead

RE: Legion Field - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 12-11-2012 08:20 PM

We have been over the concessions problem many times. The concession stands are opened by various volunteer groups that want to raise money for their cause - high school or UAB band boosters, JROTC, church groups, etc.. The workers are all volunteer members of the group and usually have ZERO experience or training in professional food service. The city/Park Board does not operate ANY of them the last I heard. If not enough groups want to operate the various concession stands, they just don't get opened. The only private concession is the "POPPA JOHN'S PIZZA" which was installed when the company was the Bowl game sponsor-- was it operating Saturday?

Any organization that rents Legion Field needs to stipulate in their contract what level of what services they demand be provided. It is POSSIBLE that more groups promised the Park Board that they would work various concession stands and then didn't show up. When dependent upon "volunteer" labor, people may have a more relaxed attitude towards "showing up" since no pay is involved. It's certainly difficult for the city to "punish" such groups when they don't show -- or not enough volunteer workers arrive to operate the concession with reasonable efficiency or food safety..

RE: Legion Field - Blazerstadium - 12-11-2012 11:10 PM

(12-11-2012 08:20 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  We have been over the concessions problem many times. The concession stands are opened by various volunteer groups that want to raise money for their cause - high school or UAB band boosters, JROTC, church groups, etc.. The workers are all volunteer members of the group and usually have ZERO experience or training in professional food service. The city/Park Board does not operate ANY of them the last I heard. If not enough groups want to operate the various concession stands, they just don't get opened. The only private concession is the "POPPA JOHN'S PIZZA" which was installed when the company was the Bowl game sponsor-- was it operating Saturday?

Any organization that rents Legion Field needs to stipulate in their contract what level of what services they demand be provided. It is POSSIBLE that more groups promised the Park Board that they would work various concession stands and then didn't show up. When dependent upon "volunteer" labor, people may have a more relaxed attitude towards "showing up" since no pay is involved. It's certainly difficult for the city to "punish" such groups when they don't show -- or not enough volunteer workers arrive to operate the concession with reasonable efficiency or food safety..

If this is the case, then it won't matter with another stadium, be it dome or not. If it is run by the city, they will still be using volunteer groups for the concession stands. If it is our stadium and UAB runs it, we will have control and hopefully staff the concession stands with employees. Either that or hire/contract it out to a company. I know the city has the same issues at the BJCC. Go to a big event there and concession is never enough.

RE: Legion Field - Memphis Blazer - 12-11-2012 11:45 PM

Bartow arena also has volunteer groups. They don't have employees.

RE: Legion Field - Matrix - 12-12-2012 09:12 AM

04-bow Sorry you had to get the "hard lesson", "Hornet", on what we as UAB Blazers fans experience on a very regular basis there.

RE: Legion Field - Matrix - 12-12-2012 09:46 AM

03-lmfao You, sir, are a calculated genius!

RE: Legion Field - bladhmadh - 12-12-2012 11:00 AM

(12-12-2012 09:46 AM)Matrix Wrote:  

03-lmfao You, sir, are a calculated genius!

If you flush every toilet at the exact same time the stadium will implode. That's a fact I saw it on Ned's Declassified