CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Football Future OOC Schedules (/thread-606555.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - Monarchist13 - 01-25-2015 11:24 AM

The most recent article from Harry.
http://hamptonroads.com/2015/01/loss-uab-football-might-be-one-odu-too

Quote:C-USA officials proposed two options to make up for Alabama-Birmingham dropping football. The simplest would be to have teams play the same conference opponents as last season with the sites reversed.

If that happened we would have this (in no specific order):
@EMU
Norfolk State
NCSU
Appy
@LaTech
@MTSU
@Marshall
@FIU
FAU
Rice
UTEP
WKU

Quote:The other option would be far more complicated - redo the schedules from scratch. Doing so becomes thorny because the calendar next season leaves 13 weeks, not the usual 14, to play 12 games.

Personally, I'm hopeful they redo the schedules from scratch and we get Charlotte, NT, Southern Miss and UTSA on the schedule.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - ODU Oldtimer - 01-25-2015 02:39 PM

With Selig's comments in regards to CUSA's expansion sounds like he is a proponent to add Georgie State

Quote:
Selig said he's interested in expanding only if a member adds potential revenue by bringing a major TV market, a program that would help upgrade C-USA football or a basketball program with a history of making the NCAA tournament.

As for next year’s schedule, I would prefer to have UNCC next year to start the rivalry. But we really need to have a more favorable schedule without having four road games in a stretch. It is very difficult on the players for school work and just difficult physically to hit the road 4 weeks in a row.

Quote:
Old Dominion would play a tougher Conference USA football schedule in 2015 than anticipated - and not play a game against Charlotte, its closest conference competitor - under a scheduling scenario that league officials may approve this week.

Quote:C-USA officials proposed two options to make up for Alabama-Birmingham dropping football. The simplest would be to have teams play the same conference opponents as last season with the sites reversed.

@EMU
Norfolk State
NCSU
Appy
@LaTech
@MTSU
@Marshall
@FIU

FAU
Rice
UTEP
WKU

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - Monarchist13 - 01-25-2015 02:51 PM

(01-25-2015 02:39 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  With Selig's comments in regards to CUSA's expansion sounds like he is a proponent to add Georgie State

Quote:
Selig said he's interested in expanding only if a member adds potential revenue by bringing a major TV market, a program that would help upgrade C-USA football or a basketball program with a history of making the NCAA tournament.

As for next year’s schedule, I would prefer to have UNCC next year to start the rivalry. But we really need to have a more favorable schedule without having four road games in a stretch. It is very difficult on the players for school work and just difficult physically to hit the road 4 weeks in a row.

Quote:
Old Dominion would play a tougher Conference USA football schedule in 2015 than anticipated - and not play a game against Charlotte, its closest conference competitor - under a scheduling scenario that league officials may approve this week.

@EMU
Norfolk State
NCSU
Appy
@LaTech
@MTSU
@Marshall
@FIU

FAU
Rice
UTEP
WKU

OldTimer, the schedule I put up is just a list. It is not the order the games would be played in.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - Monarchist13 - 01-25-2015 02:54 PM

In addition, I don't think Selig's quotes shows any preference to a specific school being added. He mentioned three different qualifiers (big market, good football program or a good hoops program) and the school added would need to have one of those qualities. This opens up the potential new school to a myriad of programs.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - ODU Oldtimer - 01-25-2015 03:56 PM

(01-25-2015 02:51 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 02:39 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  With Selig's comments in regards to CUSA's expansion sounds like he is a proponent to add Georgie State

Quote:

Quote:

@EMU
Norfolk State
NCSU
Appy
@LaTech
@MTSU
@Marshall
@FIU

FAU
Rice
UTEP
WKU

OldTimer, the schedule I put up is just a list. It is not the order the games would be played in.

Ok, thanks, but didn't we have a 3 or 4 game stretch that we were away than home last year. Would much prefer a better distribution of home and away games. Last year was the not great.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - ODU Oldtimer - 01-25-2015 03:59 PM

(01-25-2015 02:54 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  In addition, I don't think Selig's quotes shows any preference to a specific school being added. He mentioned three different qualifiers (big market, good football program or a good hoops program) and the school added would need to have one of those qualities. This opens up the potential new school to a myriad of programs.

Just mentioned Geo State because it simply fills the bill. However it is not who I would prefer.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - ODUalum78 - 01-25-2015 04:37 PM

(01-25-2015 03:59 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 02:54 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  In addition, I don't think Selig's quotes shows any preference to a specific school being added. He mentioned three different qualifiers (big market, good football program or a good hoops program) and the school added would need to have one of those qualities. This opens up the potential new school to a myriad of programs.

Just mentioned Geo State because it simply fills the bill. However it is not who I would prefer.

I dunno. GaSt has solid basketball and the best market possible for the CUSA geography. I love it that my in-laws in Houston continue to tell me about the ODU exposure there, and friends in Dallas tell me they see ODU a lot because of UNT.

Atlanta would be fantastic.

FGSU football needs work, but there is no reason to think it can't and won't get better; and it is still better than UNCC.
03-shhhh

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - ODU FrontRunner - 01-25-2015 05:07 PM

(01-25-2015 04:37 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 03:59 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  

I dunno. GaSt has solid basketball and the best market possible for the CUSA geography. I love it that my in-laws in Houston continue to tell me about the ODU exposure there, and friends in Dallas tell me they see ODU a lot because of UNT.

Atlanta would be fantastic.

FGSU football needs work, but there is no reason to think it can't and won't get better; and it is still better than UNCC.
03-shhhh

I would prefer GaST because of one word ATLANTA. Never knew FGSU had a basketball program until a couple of years ago much less football. The state of Florida is well represented in CUSA.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - 12thmonarch - 01-25-2015 07:11 PM

Don't know what percent of our folks on this board live in Atlanta but its a SEC country and ofcourse this is from my perspective and from waht i have seen. The co-workers/people i meet here are mostly Georgia, Bumma and Auburn fans and may be a few GaTech Alumnus and i very very rarely see FGSU fans here at perimeter north. While the sound of Atlanta as a CUSA market sounds great we can't convince any national media that Georgia State has significant viewership in Atlanta which is like saying ODU has more fans in Blacksburg than VT. If i get to watch my Monarchs with out leaving the city so be it but adding FGSU sounds weak to me and may be there better choices out there.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - ODUalum78 - 01-25-2015 08:07 PM

(01-25-2015 07:11 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Don't know what percent of our folks on this board live in Atlanta but its a SEC country and ofcourse this is from my perspective and from waht i have seen. The co-workers/people i meet here are mostly Georgia, Bumma and Auburn fans and may be a few GaTech Alumnus and i very very rarely see FGSU fans here at perimeter north. While the sound of Atlanta as a CUSA market sounds great we can't convince any national media that Georgia State has significant viewership in Atlanta which is like saying ODU has more fans in Blacksburg than VT. If i get to watch my Monarchs with out leaving the city so be it but adding FGSU sounds weak to me and may be there better choices out there.

It is a matter of exposure.
Houston is not "Rice country", nor is Dallas "UNT country" However, both schools are covered by the local news, and as such their CUSA conference mates are as well; regularly.

Last year (2012 football season) I was staying at the Springhill Suites for a football game. I was on the same floor as the UTSA women's soccer team. I had the opportunity to sit and talk to the UTSA HC. He was very friendly and congenial. At the end of the conversation, he asked me "So, what religion is ODU affiliated with?"
I bet no one, not even a high school athlete who follow sports in any CUSA market, asks that question now.

Exposure is huge for athletic recruiters (academic as well)

Additionally, even if GaSt is not SEC, it still gets coverage on local sports.
Then too there are the guaranteed carrier fees, even if few watch them on television.
The Atlanta market could do nothing but enhance CUSA television contract negotiations, no matter how bad the local product (GaSt).

04-cheers

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - Old Dominion - 01-25-2015 08:55 PM

Sorry, don't want ODU mentioned in the same breath as FGSU. Don't want the casual football fan seeing us in the same conference. FGSU is the epitome of fail. Nothing good can come of having such a major RPI drain in the conference. They would give the conference instant pathetic, loser status.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - 12thmonarch - 01-25-2015 09:15 PM

(01-25-2015 08:07 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(01-25-2015 07:11 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Don't know what percent of our folks on this board live in Atlanta but its a SEC country and ofcourse this is from my perspective and from waht i have seen. The co-workers/people i meet here are mostly Georgia, Bumma and Auburn fans and may be a few GaTech Alumnus and i very very rarely see FGSU fans here at perimeter north. While the sound of Atlanta as a CUSA market sounds great we can't convince any national media that Georgia State has significant viewership in Atlanta which is like saying ODU has more fans in Blacksburg than VT. If i get to watch my Monarchs with out leaving the city so be it but adding FGSU sounds weak to me and may be there better choices out there.

It is a matter of exposure.
Houston is not "Rice country", nor is Dallas "UNT country" However, both schools are covered by the local news, and as such their CUSA conference mates are as well; regularly.

Last year (2012 football season) I was staying at the Springhill Suites for a football game. I was on the same floor as the UTSA women's soccer team. I had the opportunity to sit and talk to the UTSA HC. He was very friendly and congenial. At the end of the conversation, he asked me "So, what religion is ODU affiliated with?"
I bet no one, not even a high school athlete who follow sports in any CUSA market, asks that question now.

Exposure is huge for athletic recruiters (academic as well)

Additionally, even if GaSt is not SEC, it still gets coverage on local sports.
Then too there are the guaranteed carrier fees, even if few watch them on television.
The Atlanta market could do nothing but enhance CUSA television contract negotiations, no matter how bad the local product (GaSt).

04-cheers

78, I am not sure if we can compare Rice/Houston to GaSt/Atlanta but nevertheless increased visibility is definitely something we all want. Off topic, That question UTSA soccer coach asked what a weird question to ask a visiting team fan who you just met. Anyways go ODU!!! 04-cheers Hail The Monarchs may be if this GaSt to CUSA happens i get to see my Monarchs with out leaving the city and sitting in a very good seats which FGSU fans failed to fill and who knows may be FGSU turns things around if this invite were to happen.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - monarchman - 01-25-2015 09:19 PM

CUSA has enough months to feed and too many schools in need of major facilities upgrades; 13 is already one school too many. Adding Georgia State would be a long lasting mistake. Unless ODU gets more money, no one should be added.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - CameramanJ - 01-25-2015 10:42 PM

Seconded. Our slice of the pie gets a tiny sliver larger with one less team.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - odusteeler - 01-25-2015 11:10 PM

G State will drop football in < 5 years. It's a failed experiment. No shame - they tried. But they'll never be able to build in the shadows of GT & UGA.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - panama - 01-26-2015 07:30 AM

(01-25-2015 11:10 PM)odusteeler Wrote:  G State will drop football in < 5 years. It's a failed experiment. No shame - they tried. But they'll never be able to build in the shadows of GT & UGA.

[Image: eiEhPA9.gif]

In 18 months we will have 54k plus students and be the 4th largest university in America and we will be breaking ground on the Turner Field renovation...so...yeah we didnt hire Charlie Cobb to de-emphasize sports.

Carry on...07-coffee3

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - odusteeler - 01-26-2015 08:48 AM

It's good money after bad. We both know it. You literally pay people (cash drops) to come watch. LMAO...

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - panama - 01-26-2015 09:45 AM

(01-26-2015 08:48 AM)odusteeler Wrote:  It's good money after bad. We both know it. You literally pay people (cash drops) to come watch. LMAO...
Yeah, improving your facilities is a bad investment.
Levick is gone and Cobb has made more changes in 20 weeks than she did in 5 years. The President and AD are on the same page so I feel great about the next 4 years.

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - odusteeler - 01-26-2015 10:47 AM

(01-26-2015 09:45 AM)panama Wrote:  
(01-26-2015 08:48 AM)odusteeler Wrote:  It's good money after bad. We both know it. You literally pay people (cash drops) to come watch. LMAO...
Levick is gone and Cobb has made more changes in 20 weeks than she did in 5 years. The President and AD are on the same page so I feel great about the next 4 years.

Georgia Dome, Turner Field, blah, blah, blah....it doesn't matter where you play, or how nice the facility is - no one is paying to watch that mess. How long will the state/students continue to subsidize a multimillion dollar sinkhole? I mean, you could somewhat defend the expense if it got alumni back to campus or boosted school spirit, but Turner Field is just as far away as the Georgia Dome, if not further. You'll still have to bus all 12 students to the game. What's the point?

RE: ODU Football Future OOC Schedules - panama - 01-26-2015 10:56 AM

(01-26-2015 10:47 AM)odusteeler Wrote:  
(01-26-2015 09:45 AM)panama Wrote:  

Georgia Dome, Turner Field, blah, blah, blah....it doesn't matter where you play, or how nice the facility is - no one is paying to watch that mess. How long will the state/students continue to subsidize a multimillion dollar sinkhole? I mean, you could somewhat defend the expense if it got alumni back to campus or boosted school spirit, but Turner Field is just as far away as the Georgia Dome, if not further. You'll still have to bus all 12 students to the game. What's the point?
Turner Field will be on campus. :)

You a) obviously dont know about the project and b) dont have a geographical reference for Atlanta.

..yada yada something something we used to suck at MBB. Funny how that turned out.