CSNbbs
ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting (/thread-606410.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - MondoMiner - 12-11-2012 02:01 AM

FTR, not a secret meeting

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - ninernation1989 - 12-11-2012 02:06 AM

I don't blame the catholic schools one bit

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - Big Dub - 12-11-2012 02:19 AM

Oh noes, who could have seen this coming? 03-melodramatic

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - MU ATO - 12-11-2012 02:24 AM

Basketball always has ruled the roost in the Big East.

Your football is irrelevant in the eyes of the hoops schools.

"The basketball schools are not thrilled with Tulane and what they will do to the league's RPI," said a league source from a football-playing member. "They were not all that excited with that addition."

The source added that "the basketball schools would have fallen off the ledge if we would have added East Carolina as a full member and what that would have done to the basketball league."

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - TheEastisPurple - 12-11-2012 02:26 AM

I hope they go. For one thing ECU isn't in a conference with them, and secondly they act like their 01-rivals doesn't stink. Yeah Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville decided they would rather play football in the ACC but they also decided they would rather play basketball there too. If the catholic schools and BE basketball was so special why did 3 of the 5 all sports members with good basketball leave?

If they leave for another conference, good luck to 'em. If they vote to dissolve the BE, then f 'em. That isn't going to do them any good either, just f the rest of the members.

It's not going to effect the cohesion of the conference either. Cincy and UConn already want out and are just waiting on an invite so they will leave either way if the opportunity comes.

I suppose this could trigger the mass exodus to the MWC if it happens, not really sure.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - TheEastisPurple - 12-11-2012 02:32 AM

(12-11-2012 02:24 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  Your football is irrelevant.

I don't know if you were talking to the people you assumed were reading this thread or what but no BE members had posted here before you.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - Attackcoog - 12-11-2012 03:24 AM

(12-11-2012 02:24 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  Basketball always has ruled the roost in the Big East.

Your football is irrelevant.

"The basketball schools are not thrilled with Tulane and what they will do to the league's RPI," said a league source from a football-playing member. "They were not all that excited with that addition."

The source added that "the basketball schools would have fallen off the ledge if we would have added East Carolina as a full member and what that would have done to the basketball league."

lol...the basketball schools had 7 votes. The football schools had 2 actual voting members. Pitt, Rutgers, and Syracuse no longer could vote (due to announcing thier exits) and suppposedly Louisville, Cinci, and UConn abstained due to being in negotiaions with another conference. UCF is an all-sports member. Temple currently appears to be a football only member. So, at best--the football schools were out numbered 7-5. But due to the situation, the basketball schools appear to have held a 7-2 voting edge. Tulane was a basketball pick. The football schools needed another all sports school to remain at 8 members after Louisville was taken. The football schools had to take whoever the basketball schools would approve.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - Luckyshot - 12-11-2012 03:47 AM

If the basketball schools had a problem with Tulane's RPI, then why did they take Tulane? They had other options.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - Attackcoog - 12-11-2012 03:51 AM

(12-11-2012 03:47 AM)Luckyshot Wrote:  If the basketball schools had a problem with Tulane's RPI, then why did they take Tulane? They had other options.

I know, right? That pick just never really made sense. Sounds like the whole decision making process is pretty dysfunctional at this point.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - b0ndsj0ns - 12-11-2012 07:05 AM

(12-11-2012 03:47 AM)Luckyshot Wrote:  If the basketball schools had a problem with Tulane's RPI, then why did they take Tulane? They had other options.

Yeah last I checked no vote on all sports membership could have passed without their support being that they control well over a majority of the votes right now. If they didn't want Tulane they didn't have to add Tulane.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - cmullinsTU - 12-11-2012 08:46 AM

(12-11-2012 07:05 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  

Yeah last I checked no vote on all sports membership could have passed without their support being that they control well over a majority of the votes right now. If they didn't want Tulane they didn't have to add Tulane.

They are just using it as an excuse to leave the conference.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - bit_9 - 12-11-2012 09:00 AM

If I wanted out of a situation I would fabricate a reason.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - MU ATO - 12-11-2012 09:08 AM

(12-11-2012 02:32 AM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 02:24 AM)MU ATO Wrote:  Your football is irrelevant.

I don't know if you were talking to the people you assumed were reading this thread or what but no BE members had posted here before you.

I meant no matter how solid your football is they (hoops schools) don't care. I shoulda clarified. I'll edit.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - PirateNation - 12-11-2012 09:12 AM

2012-2013 RPI:
103 - East Carolina
206 - Tulane

2011-2012 RPI:
167 - East Carolina
251 - Tulane

2010-2011 RPI:
108 - East Carolina
235 - Tulane

03-melodramatic I'm that it's our RPI that would have sent them off the cliff instead of the one they added.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - Niner National - 12-11-2012 09:22 AM

(12-11-2012 09:12 AM)PirateNation Wrote:  2012-2013 RPI:
103 - East Carolina
206 - Tulane

2011-2012 RPI:
167 - East Carolina
251 - Tulane

2010-2011 RPI:
108 - East Carolina
235 - Tulane

03-melodramatic I'm that it's our RPI that would have sent them off the cliff instead of the one they added.
They are probably looking at more than three years worth of data. I'm sure Tulane is still as bad or worse than ECU over a longer period of time as well, but Tulane is at least a private institution, so that may have factored into the decision.

I do agree that it was stupid for them to add Tulane if they care about poor basketball performance though.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - eagleriffic - 12-11-2012 09:24 AM

(12-11-2012 02:19 AM)Big Dub Wrote:  Oh noes, who could have seen this coming? 03-melodramatic

I know right.......

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - PirateNation - 12-11-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:They are probably looking at more than three years worth of data. I'm sure Tulane is still as bad or worse than ECU over a longer period of time as well, but Tulane is at least a private institution, so that may have factored into the decision.

I do agree that it was stupid for them to add Tulane if they care about poor basketball performance though.

Tulane's last NCAA appearance - 1995. ECU's - 1993.

Neither are exactly basketball powers.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - Green Menace - 12-11-2012 09:27 AM

Isn't the Big East the conference Houston, SMU, East Carolina, etc., will be moving to? F'em.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - BkGold - 12-11-2012 10:13 AM

If I understand correctly, this spring with the new members coming on board, the BB only schools will be in the minority. They are probably discussing their options while they still have the power.

RE: ESPN report on BE Basketball school meeting - JDTulane - 12-11-2012 10:32 AM

power play. they pulled for tulane. dont hate what ya ask for