CSNbbs
Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) (/thread-605854.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 12-13-2012 01:23 PM

(12-13-2012 11:51 AM)Matrix Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 10:23 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 09:47 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 12:29 AM)thebernreuter Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 02:58 PM)Blazerstadium Wrote:  BSC has a great stadium that fits their needs. You can't ask for more then that. As far as the "ghetto", last time I looked, Legion Field wasn't in Mountain Brook.

I'm pretty sure you could hit a golf ball from the near side of BSC's campus and have it land in the Legion Field parking lot. We walked to our one game there in a big group. Safety in numbers.

Every Sunday from around late February until mid-October Legion Field is packed for pick-up basketball games and honestly the best players play there. My grandparents live in the college hill area and as a kid a ran all over the neighborhood with my friends and you can still see kids doing the same thing today. During Magic City Classic people par blocks away from the stadium and walk back and forth to their cars all weekend. No one is the least bit worried about anything happening. Is this some sort of white thing? And if it is, do a select group of whites think that they'll be targeted just because they're white? Just an honest question.

It's definitely not a white thing. Hell I used to pay somebody $5 to park in their yard rather than deal with the idiots at Legion Field. Never felt threatened. Wasn't worried about my car. It's not a place I'd walk around at around 2 am by myself, but I've seen much worse in my life. Some people are scared of "dark neighborhoods". Those people will likely never change.

I agree, has nothing to do with color (for those of you who never met me, I'm black), opportunity perhaps. I've been threatened twice, once by someone that tried to shake me down for money to "watch" my car while parked on a public street, the second time, on the way to my car from a UAB game by someone just looking to start up some trouble, & I'll never forget the time someone brought a gun into that place and opened fire during a high school game, it was sheer terror on display that night, yet some people found it funny in the aftermath of the panic and chaos that ensued.

The first occurrence was when things were really as bad as advertised over there, and I had a weapon on me to defend myself if need be, the second time, nothing, but a police officer happened to be standing not very far from where we were at the time, so nothing went down.

And none of this has deterred me from coming to see the Blazers play, & although it's with a bit of a chip on my shoulder, for as long as they have to endure that miserable place, then so shall I. But, not very quietly, I might add.

As I recall, that shooting did not take place IN Legion Field but on Graymont Ave. nearby. I recall that it was a Loveman Village resident with a "turf war" mentality toward some folks at the game. Did he actually hit anyone?

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - rook360 - 12-13-2012 01:27 PM

And to be fair, most "shootings" at lesion field where during high school games. Not during UAB games.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - backyardblazer - 12-13-2012 01:38 PM

(12-13-2012 11:54 AM)Matrix Wrote:  Anyone here ever went to a Falcons game when they were playing at Fulton County Stadium? Remember that neighborhood surrounding it? Makes Elyton look like Homewood.

Man you got that right!

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - thebernreuter - 12-13-2012 02:10 PM

(12-13-2012 09:47 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  Is this some sort of white thing? And if it is, do a select group of whites think that they'll be targeted just because they're white? Just an honest question.

Yes. I lived there for four years. It's not a good idea to be white and in the Graymont Avenue area. Especially a young white kid in nice clothes and a BMW or something. Every now and then, some idiot will be at the wrong place at the wrong time and either get mugged or disappear. It's very rare, but it happens just often enough to keep a healthy dose of fear in the student body.

People get braver when they find out that most of the gas stations in the area don't check IDs.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - the Dragon - 12-13-2012 02:10 PM

(12-13-2012 11:51 AM)Matrix Wrote:  And none of this has deterred me from coming to see the Blazers play, & although it's with a bit of a chip on my shoulder, for as long as they have to endure that miserable place, then so shall I.

+1

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - thebernreuter - 12-13-2012 02:29 PM

(12-13-2012 09:47 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  Every Sunday from around late February until mid-October Legion Field is packed for pick-up basketball games and honestly the best players play there.

Fun fact that many people not from the area may not know, or at least I didn't for awhile: Legion Field was built in the middle of a separate public park that predates the stadium. This is why the "parking lot" on the UAB side is grassy with trees and basketball goals. They can't grade it off and pave it because it's zoned differently. You're literally parking in a park.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - BeliefBlazer - 12-13-2012 02:30 PM

McLendon Park

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - UAB Band Dad - 12-13-2012 02:39 PM

(12-13-2012 02:10 PM)thebernreuter Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 09:47 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  Is this some sort of white thing? And if it is, do a select group of whites think that they'll be targeted just because they're white? Just an honest question.

Yes. I lived there for four years. It's not a good idea to be white and in the Graymont Avenue area. Especially a young white kid in nice clothes and a BMW or something. Every now and then, some idiot will be at the wrong place at the wrong time and either get mugged or disappear. It's very rare, but it happens just often enough to keep a healthy dose of fear in the student body.

People get braver when they find out that most of the gas stations in the area don't check IDs.

I'd give a mixed answer. There are a lot of over-the-mountain suburban whites who think that if they go to a football game at LF they'll be found dead in their car trunk. That's a load of crap - I've been to so many games down there and never had a problem.

On the other hand, would I go cruise that neighborhood at 1 am on a Friday night? Nope. I grew up in SW Atlanta, and if you can't get along with black folks there you're in deep doody. That does not mean that I'll do stupid things and just ask for trouble.

In general though, the threat is very overblown if you have a lick of sense.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 12-13-2012 03:30 PM

Over 90% of violent crime is by poor people against other poor people. Race is only a factor because an inordinate number of the urban poor are of a particular race. Hence, the "Black on Black crime" concern which is really a function of the first principal and is only racial in those few cases where it happens to a "nonBlack". One should not "fear black prople" but instead fear being exposed to vulnerable situations because race is not going to save you if you are careless.

There were two cases in point. The Mountain Brook girl who did not understand that the "Beemer" she drove, which attracted no special attention at MBHS, tended to attract attention in the parking lot at Glen iris School at 2 AM. The other was Michael jordan's dad who was used to sleeping on the side of the road in his decade old Buick. When his son gave him a top of the line Lexus, he didn't change his habits. He was asleep in his new car when two escaped convict thugs (one white,one black) attacked him and , after robbing and killing him, stole the car. .

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - blazerjones - 12-13-2012 04:58 PM

Let us not forget, criminals have cars and they will travel, It is nothing for them to drive over here to the Southside after we get our new stadium. Do not forget there is already crime on campus and UAB's finest are no better at protecting us than Birmingham's finest.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - Smaug - 12-13-2012 05:20 PM

The only time I ever feared for my safety on UAB's campus was when crossing University.

That said, there's a very real sense of "If I go downtown, the scary black people will get me!" out in the burbs. Hell, it's a big reason the burbs exist.

My beefs with Legion Field are manifold, but the neighborhood it's in doesn't bother me as much as knowing the perception of the neighborhood keeping people away.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I've attended games a Legion Field since the mighty Banks Jets were crushing people. I've attended high school, college, and professional games. I've attended day games and night games. I've attended on Friday nights, all day Saturday, Sunday afternoons, and the occasional Thursday night, (and maybe a Wednesday or two, thanks ESPN). I've attended games sober as a Republican banker at a Walker County church social and I've attended *cough* somewhat less so. I've parked in the lot. I've parked in someone's yard.

I have never, ever had a problem. (Well, not with the locals, anyway).

Know what my only beef with Legion Field's location is? The only one that matters?

It ain't on campus.

It's really that simple.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - UAB Band Dad - 12-13-2012 06:54 PM

(12-13-2012 04:58 PM)blazerjones Wrote:  Let us not forget, criminals have cars and they will travel, It is nothing for them to drive over here to the Southside after we get our new stadium. Do not forget there is already crime on campus and UAB's finest are no better at protecting us than Birmingham's finest.

Criminals go where the money is. This time of year the parking lot of the Galleria is far more unsafe than the lot at Legion Field.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - Matrix - 12-14-2012 09:57 AM

(12-13-2012 01:27 PM)rook360 Wrote:  And to be fair, most "shootings" at lesion field where during high school games. Not during UAB games.

True. But, a bullet doesn't recognize the level of competitive play, hopefully nothing like this will ever take place there or anywhere else.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - Matrix - 12-14-2012 10:01 AM

(12-13-2012 01:23 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 09:47 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 12:29 AM)thebernreuter Wrote:  I'm pretty sure you could hit a golf ball from the near side of BSC's campus and have it land in the Legion Field parking lot. We walked to our one game there in a big group. Safety in numbers.

Every Sunday from around late February until mid-October Legion Field is packed for pick-up basketball games and honestly the best players play there. My grandparents live in the college hill area and as a kid a ran all over the neighborhood with my friends and you can still see kids doing the same thing today. During Magic City Classic people par blocks away from the stadium and walk back and forth to their cars all weekend. No one is the least bit worried about anything happening. Is this some sort of white thing? And if it is, do a select group of whites think that they'll be targeted just because they're white? Just an honest question.

It's definitely not a white thing. Hell I used to pay somebody $5 to park in their yard rather than deal with the idiots at Legion Field. Never felt threatened. Wasn't worried about my car. It's not a place I'd walk around at around 2 am by myself, but I've seen much worse in my life. Some people are scared of "dark neighborhoods". Those people will likely never change.

I agree, has nothing to do with color (for those of you who never met me, I'm black), opportunity perhaps. I've been threatened twice, once by someone that tried to shake me down for money to "watch" my car while parked on a public street, the second time, on the way to my car from a UAB game by someone just looking to start up some trouble, & I'll never forget the time someone brought a gun into that place and opened fire during a high school game, it was sheer terror on display that night, yet some people found it funny in the aftermath of the panic and chaos that ensued.

The first occurrence was when things were really as bad as advertised over there, and I had a weapon on me to defend myself if need be, the second time, nothing, but a police officer happened to be standing not very far from where we were at the time, so nothing went down.

And none of this has deterred me from coming to see the Blazers play, & although it's with a bit of a chip on my shoulder, for as long as they have to endure that miserable place, then so shall I. But, not very quietly, I might add.

As I recall, that shooting did not take place IN Legion Field but on Graymont Ave. nearby. I recall that it was a Loveman Village resident with a "turf war" mentality toward some folks at the game. Did he actually hit anyone?

The incident I'm referring to was during a game between Phillips High & Parker High. IIRC, it was Parker's Homecoming game, and it was on either a Thursday or Friday night. The shots rang out from behind the south end zone, in the confines of the stadium. I pretty much remember where I was seated and the action I took when the shots went off. I got as low as I possibly could in the bleachers. I can't recall if he struck someone with his shots, I'm thinking yes, that at least one person was wounded in the shooting. Wish I could recall the exact year, it was a long time ago. I'm thinking the game was in the 2nd half and of course, had to be cancelled, called off or rescheduled with no one allowed in the stands.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - Matrix - 12-14-2012 10:08 AM

(12-13-2012 03:30 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  

Over 90% of violent crime is by poor people against other poor people. Race is only a factor because an inordinate number of the urban poor are of a particular race. Hence, the "Black on Black crime" concern which is really a function of the first principal and is only racial in those few cases where it happens to a "nonBlack". One should not "fear black prople" but instead fear being exposed to vulnerable situations because race is not going to save you if you are careless.

There were two cases in point. The Mountain Brook girl who did not understand that the "Beemer" she drove, which attracted no special attention at MBHS, tended to attract attention in the parking lot at Glen iris School at 2 AM. The other was Michael jordan's dad who was used to sleeping on the side of the road in his decade old Buick. When his son gave him a top of the line Lexus, he didn't change his habits. He was asleep in his new car when two escaped convict thugs (one white,one black) attacked him and , after robbing and killing him, stole the car. .

I remember the story about the young lady you're talking about. Both of these stories were heartbreaking.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - Rebounder2u - 12-14-2012 10:29 AM

Since this thread is one of the oldest and aften most repeated, I read the last page first to get a feel for where it was headed..
I read the last first and thought it was about crime around Legion Field, but after reading the original post, I understood better, It was what I thought it was, it was about OCS.
Dang got me.
Ok, yes we need an OCS, it may take going to court with an anti trust suit to get it but... anyway yes crime is everywhere, yes the new Birmingham baseball field will have less then 10,000 seats at a cost of over 64,000,000..
Yes something stinks...

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - Matrix - 12-14-2012 11:05 AM

(12-13-2012 06:54 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 04:58 PM)blazerjones Wrote:  Let us not forget, criminals have cars and they will travel, It is nothing for them to drive over here to the Southside after we get our new stadium. Do not forget there is already crime on campus and UAB's finest are no better at protecting us than Birmingham's finest.

Criminals go where the money is. This time of year the parking lot of the Galleria is far more unsafe than the lot at Legion Field.

+1. You can count on the vultures circling the new baseball stadium at some point in time, too. Hopefully, the police presence there will offset or minimize the risk. I for one, shall not be moved. Take me out to the ball game!

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - Matrix - 12-14-2012 11:08 AM

(12-14-2012 10:29 AM)rebounder2u Wrote:  Since this thread is one of the oldest and aften most repeated, I read the last page first to get a feel for where it was headed..
I read the last first and thought it was about crime around Legion Field, but after reading the original post, I understood better, It was what I thought it was, it was about OCS.
Dang got me.
Ok, yes we need an OCS, it may take going to court with an anti trust suit to get it but... anyway yes crime is everywhere, yes the new Birmingham baseball field will have less then 10,000 seats at a cost of over 64,000,000..
Yes something stinks...

Is that possible? To take this OCS/Anti-trust issue to court? Are there any precedents that we as the public could cite as it relates to this?

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - Uncle BLAZER - 12-14-2012 11:25 AM

This thread is still going on? Holy smoke.

RE: Stadium Question(Don't shoot me) - uabrsc3 - 12-14-2012 11:39 AM

(12-14-2012 10:01 AM)Matrix Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 01:23 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 09:47 AM)GreenHornet33 Wrote:  Every Sunday from around late February until mid-October Legion Field is packed for pick-up basketball games and honestly the best players play there. My grandparents live in the college hill area and as a kid a ran all over the neighborhood with my friends and you can still see kids doing the same thing today. During Magic City Classic people par blocks away from the stadium and walk back and forth to their cars all weekend. No one is the least bit worried about anything happening. Is this some sort of white thing? And if it is, do a select group of whites think that they'll be targeted just because they're white? Just an honest question.

The incident I'm referring to was during a game between Phillips High & Parker High. IIRC, it was Parker's Homecoming game, and it was on either a Thursday or Friday night. The shots rang out from behind the south end zone, in the confines of the stadium. I pretty much remember where I was seated and the action I took when the shots went off. I got as low as I possibly could in the bleachers. I can't recall if he struck someone with his shots, I'm thinking yes, that at least one person was wounded in the shooting. Wish I could recall the exact year, it was a long time ago. I'm thinking the game was in the 2nd half and of course, had to be cancelled, called off or rescheduled with no one allowed in the stands.

My beloved alma mater West End (RIV -rest in Victory) was involved in a game where shots were fired in the stadium so I don't think it was Phillips involved in the incident described but there may have been another one. I remember fillm of the team hitting the dirt and rolling...Sad that the one thing they looked well coahed on that year was avoiding gun fire. Games now have a TSA sort of feel to enter. One thing encouraging is the crowds to see the sublimely wonderful Wenonah Dragons basketball team this year. I believe Wenonah could compete in the SWAC.