CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 08-15-2017 08:35 AM

(08-15-2017 06:34 AM)Monarchs Win Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 10:52 PM)monarx Wrote:  http://www.13newsnow.com/news/community/christopher-newport-univ-declared-a-2018-best-college-in-princeton-review/463101719

Some mighty nice accolades for CNU in the Princeton Review. It's still unbelievable that not only have they caught up to ODU academically and in infrastructure, but in some ways have even surpassed us. And the fact that it has basically happened in only 20 years is incredible. What does Paul Trible have that Dr. Koch, Runte and Broderick couldn't or can't seem to grasp? Not that they haven't made progress, but if we're advancing at 20 mph, Trible is moving at 100mph.

As you could've guessed, it's all politics. Being a lifelong politician (congressman and senator) has its perks and greases some wheels. I've wondered what ODU would look like if Trible became our president all those years ago.

I live in Newport News and to see that campus transformed from essentially 6 buildings to what it is now, it's pretty remarkable.

I thought ODU should have made an all out effort to go after him when they hired Runte. Don't know if they ever approached him, but you could see how effective he was as a leader even then.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 08-15-2017 11:25 AM

(08-15-2017 08:35 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(08-14-2017 10:52 PM)monarx Wrote:  http://www.13newsnow.com/news/community/christopher-newport-univ-declared-a-2018-best-college-in-princeton-review/463101719

Some mighty nice accolades for CNU in the Princeton Review. It's still unbelievable that not only have they caught up to ODU academically and in infrastructure, but in some ways have even surpassed us. And the fact that it has basically happened in only 20 years is incredible. What does Paul Trible have that Dr. Koch, Runte and Broderick couldn't or can't seem to grasp? Not that they haven't made progress, but if we're advancing at 20 mph, Trible is moving at 100mph.

As you could've guessed, it's all politics. Being a lifelong politician (congressman and senator) has its perks and greases some wheels. I've wondered what ODU would look like if Trible became our president all those years ago.

I live in Newport News and to see that campus transformed from essentially 6 buildings to what it is now, it's pretty remarkable.

I thought ODU should have made an all out effort to go after him when they hired Runte. Don't know if they ever approached him, but you could see how effective he was as a leader even then.

I think Broderick has been good for football at ODU, but he is not the trailblazer that Runt was. Would love to see him advocate for ODU in Richmond more because the only way we will ever be noticed or receive attention will be if we aggressively stand up for our needs and future funding concerns, as other schools have done. There is no reason why Broderick along with local law makers should not advocate and create a strategy for the merger of ODU and EVMS. A Merger would be fantastic for BOTH. We have fallen behind in regards to growth, funding and clout for funding in Richmond. Truly ODU lacks any political strong arming or lobbying strategy for our future growth. Old Dominion has taken a step backwards when it comes to any political maneuvering for a huge list of needs that should be addressed to make ODU a National University.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 08-15-2017 12:09 PM

Something needs to change as we now have Radford and Longwood in our review mirror. Though I did just recently speak to a parent in NoVa who's child transferred from Radford to ODU last year because they wanted a higher caliber academic environment. It was nice to hear a student's parent saying good things about us academically.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 08-16-2017 09:07 PM

(08-15-2017 11:25 AM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  

I think Broderick has been good for football at ODU, but he is not the trailblazer that Runt was. Would love to see him advocate for ODU in Richmond more because the only way we will ever be noticed or receive attention will be if we aggressively stand up for our needs and future funding concerns, as other schools have done. There is no reason why Broderick along with local law makers should not advocate and create a strategy for the merger of ODU and EVMS. A Merger would be fantastic for BOTH. We have fallen behind in regards to growth, funding and clout for funding in Richmond. Truly ODU lacks any political strong arming or lobbying strategy for our future growth. Old Dominion has taken a step backwards when it comes to any political maneuvering for a huge list of needs that should be addressed to make ODU a National University.

I remember hearing that they wanted a study done about it but it didn't happen, partly due to EVMS not wanting to merge at the time. William and Mary expressed interest and EVMS seemed excited.

Again nothing.

RE: ODU Master Plan - FantomVII - 08-17-2017 08:49 AM

(08-16-2017 09:07 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  

I remember hearing that they wanted a study done about it but it didn't happen, partly due to EVMS not wanting to merge at the time. William and Mary expressed interest and EVMS seemed excited.

Again nothing.

Here is the link for the related article in the VP, circa 2012.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/education/evms-explores-becoming-part-of-william-mary/article_d4f89d70-320e-5349-9a9a-f0b4dc2344fb.html

Here is another corresponding article written just 6 months later on the backing out of the study.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/01/wm-committee-says-its-too-early-evms-merger

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 08-17-2017 08:55 AM

They launched a joint MD-MBA program in 2014.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 08-17-2017 09:09 AM

(08-17-2017 08:55 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  They launched a joint MD-MBA program in 2014.

I didn't know of the joint MD/MBA with W&M. I did know that they had a MD/MPH with ODU.

https://www.evms.edu/education/medical_programs/dual_md_mba_program/

https://www.evms.edu/education/medical_programs/dual_md_mph_program/

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 08-17-2017 10:30 AM

Again nothing.

The state legislature actually had a proposal for a study that called for examining merging ODU with EVMS. The sponsors quickly backed away from it because the EVMS president was evidently secretly already courting WM and he pushed back when he realized the legislature might examine the more sensible ODU/EVMS merger instead.The former presidents of EVMS and W&M were very close friends and were pushing that merger even though it made far less sense. Ralph Northam who was the delegate for the city of Norfolk (and therefore ODU) also pushed for the W&M merger instead of ODU. The only logical reason is because he is an EVMS graduate and would rather have his own degree associated with WM. Since there has been silence on the matter so long, and both of those presidents are no longer at those schools one can hope its a dead issue. The best thing ODU can do is make sure it's doing a fantastic job in its existing partnerships with EVMS and medical research efforts and be ready to welcome them in when the time comes. The exact same model has worked pretty well for VCU, and I see it as an obvious win, win, win, for the region, EVMS and ODU.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bigblueodu - 08-17-2017 11:16 AM

(08-17-2017 10:30 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(08-15-2017 06:34 AM)Monarchs Win Wrote:  As you could've guessed, it's all politics. Being a lifelong politician (congressman and senator) has its perks and greases some wheels. I've wondered what ODU would look like if Trible became our president all those years ago.

Again nothing.

The state legislature actually had a proposal for a study that called for examining merging ODU with EVMS. The sponsors quickly backed away from it because the EVMS president was evidently secretly already courting WM and he pushed back when he realized the legislature might examine the more sensible ODU/EVMS merger instead.The former presidents of EVMS and W&M were very close friends and were pushing that merger even though it made far less sense. Ralph Northam who was the delegate for the city of Norfolk (and therefore ODU) also pushed for the W&M merger instead of ODU. The only logical reason is because he is an EVMS graduate and would rather have his own degree associated with WM. Since there has been silence on the matter so long, and both of those presidents are no longer at those schools one can hope its a dead issue. The best thing ODU can do is make sure it's doing a fantastic job in its existing partnerships with EVMS and medical research efforts and be ready to welcome them in when the time comes. The exact same model has worked pretty well for VCU, and I see it as an obvious win, win, win, for the region, EVMS and ODU.

And apparently..... don't vote turncoat Ralph Northam for Governor.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Blue_Trombone - 08-17-2017 11:43 AM

Until Ed Gillespie mentions supporting an ODU-EVMS merger, I don't think that that should factor in to anybody's reason to vote for one or the other.

If anything, being a Norfolkian, Northam would probably bring more attention to ODU and the Hampton Roads area in general. But let's please please please not make this a politics thread.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 08-17-2017 11:56 AM

(08-17-2017 11:43 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Until Ed Gillespie mentions supporting an ODU-EVMS merger, I don't think that that should factor in to anybody's reason to vote for one or the other.

If anything, being a Norfolkian, Northam would probably bring more attention to ODU and the Hampton Roads area in general. But let's please please please not make this a politics thread.

+1.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bigblueodu - 08-17-2017 01:41 PM

(08-17-2017 11:43 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Until Ed Gillespie mentions supporting an ODU-EVMS merger, I don't think that that should factor in to anybody's reason to vote for one or the other.

I don't want to make this a political thread either.... question however, why would he support ODU/Norfolk as governor if he has already sided with W&M over ODU/Norfolk today?

RE: ODU Master Plan - jumpshooter - 08-17-2017 02:10 PM

I've been told that EVMS has a large amount of debt that neither university wants to absorb, which a merger would do. Hence, the tip-toeing about a relationship.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 08-17-2017 04:35 PM

(08-17-2017 02:10 PM)jumpshooter Wrote:  I've been told that EVMS has a large amount of debt that neither university wants to absorb, which a merger would do. Hence, the tip-toeing about a relationship.

I was told by a relative of a past ODU president that ODU shouldn't want anything to do with a medical school. That medical schools in general are huge money pits and suck resources from everywhere else in a university. While that may be true, I think part of a merger agreement would have to address the debt and actually making Richmond send us an adequate amount of funding to support the med school. Personally, I think the prestige and community goodwill and recognition, not to mention actually helping the world by training more doctors makes it well worth the effort. I think it will happen one day. Whether that is in my lifetime remains to be seen.

On a related note, wasn't ODU going to do some type of medical or dental community center or something? Thought I read about it somewhere. Having ODU community health centers spread throughout Hampton Roads would be a great way to build the ODU brand, build pride in the local U, provide great experience for students and help people at the same time.

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue2 - 08-17-2017 05:45 PM

I don't know what the financial condition of EVMS is, but they recently announced a new Education Admin. building to be constructed on the corner of Colley Ave. and Brambleton Ave.
[Image: up2ld5tv.jpg]

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 08-17-2017 06:35 PM

(08-17-2017 05:45 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  I don't know what the financial condition of EVMS is, but they recently announced a new Education Admin. building to be constructed on the corner of Colley Ave. and Brambleton Ave.

Gotta say their newer buildings look much better than ours.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 08-18-2017 08:49 AM

https://pilotonline.com/business/biz-buzz/u-va-tops-list-of-schools-in-commonwealth-ranked-for/article_6daef95d-c11c-5ecb-8dea-c4dc8ffd8edc.html

ODU makes it as the #9 best value for higher ed in the state. I would have expected top 5, and hoped to be in the running for number one. We have the cheapest costs of any national university in the state. ODU does more with less than any institution in the state. My understanding is that we are forced to keep tuition lower than our peers to create extraordinary value and quality education for a low price for those in the commonwealth. Meanwhile, schools who charge more and are allowed to take in more out of state students (in UVAs case, many, many more) get rewarded in this list. I don't think the ODU approach is working like they think it is. Raise tuition and use the money to improve faculty, infrastructure, safety, student experiences and research. ODU has proven it can do more with less than anyone. Get a little more revenue and get a lot of improvement.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 08-18-2017 03:25 PM

(08-17-2017 06:35 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(08-17-2017 05:45 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  I don't know what the financial condition of EVMS is, but they recently announced a new Education Admin. building to be constructed on the corner of Colley Ave. and Brambleton Ave.

Gotta say their newer buildings look much better than ours.

Agreed. Our campus looks very similar to many campus around the nation. I don't think there is really any building that sticks out that when somebody looks at it, they think ODU!

RE: ODU Master Plan - jumpshooter - 08-18-2017 03:27 PM

I think the new SOE makes a pretty strong statement as campus gateway

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 08-18-2017 04:26 PM

(08-18-2017 03:27 PM)jumpshooter Wrote:  I think the new SOE makes a pretty strong statement as campus gateway

It's ok. Better than some. ODU has a terrible habit of not realizing their buildings have multiple "fronts" and leave ugly brick warehouse looking walls facing outward. The oceanigraphy building and the new practice facility are prime examples. And let's not get started on the library. The new art building in the village is nice though, and I'm holding out hope for a very strong and classic signature/statement building in the new student center that can be a real showpiece. We shall see. If they get the exteriors of that and the stadium right, and extend the brick wall things should start to look pretty nice. It's still much nicer than in the 80s/90s.