CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 07-18-2017 12:54 PM

(07-18-2017 10:17 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Ya I would like to see a nice lion statue outside the football stadium

Well we do have a "statue" of a lion's head right outside the Ainsle building... but a full blown lion like the one we have at the fountain would be pretty cool too

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-18-2017 01:09 PM

Any rich folks want to go supersized and do a the Colossus of Rhodes type of lion for the new stadium? :)

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 07-18-2017 02:09 PM

(07-18-2017 12:54 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 10:17 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Ya I would like to see a nice lion statue outside the football stadium

Well we do have a "statue" of a lion's head right outside the Ainsle building... but a full blown lion like the one we have at the fountain would be pretty cool too

Would love to see something like this outside the stadium when it is completed. The base should be be about 6-7 feet high with a very majestic Monarch perched on top (standing about 10-12 feet high overall). A Marble or polished concrete base that would be adorned with a Brass plagues to pay tribute to Honor the New Start-up of football and the inaugural team and Coaches. As well as Hall of fame Football players for many years to come (all the way around on the four sides, most likely it could accommodate 200 years of Awardees.
[Image: Lion_Statue.png]

I hope the University is still planning on building a Clock Tower. If so the base should be designed to allow and have usable space that creates a Park like setting where students can walk thru the base and even relax and study on benches.
(Picture of the base design)
[Image: Clock_tower_Base.png]

Clock Tower
[Image: Clock_Tower_ODU.png]

Maybe like this......
[Image: ODU_Clock_Towerand_base.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - jumpshooter - 07-18-2017 02:10 PM

Nice idea.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Old Dominion - 07-18-2017 02:19 PM

YNOT is the closest you'll find to chain store pizza without being a chain, yet. Boring, predictable menu, pizza cooked on a rotating, timed oven. BORING. Not even fire stoves, gas.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-18-2017 02:22 PM

I looked up the price of the lions at the 42nd street library in NYC.
Adjusting for inflation, they are around $300,000.

Oldtimers idea would maybe be 1/2 that?

Lets get the fund raising started!

RE: ODU Master Plan - Old Dominion - 07-18-2017 02:22 PM

(07-18-2017 08:10 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Best way to "fix" that side of the practice facility, in my opinion, is to adorn that side with permanent ODU posters, graphics and banners.

Agree. One thing we lack is any feeling of having been around for a while. Any thing "throw back" would add a feel of longevity and tradition which we sorely need.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 07-18-2017 02:53 PM

(07-18-2017 02:22 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  I looked up the price of the lions at the 42nd street library in NYC.

I agree, It could be done for very close to that price and be done when the stadium opens and what a fantastic unveiling for ODU's Football Future. A few corporate sponsors and a fund raising campaign would be the most painless way to make this happen. ODU needs something like this for the heritage and what a Majestic statement to have greet fans as they enter the Stadium.

The players walk "March" to the stadium could culminate with a Good Luck embrace of Majestic Blue. as they enter. What a GREAT NEW way to start a "Game Day Tradition".

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 07-18-2017 03:38 PM

(07-18-2017 02:53 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 02:22 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  I looked up the price of the lions at the 42nd street library in NYC.

I agree, It could be done for very close to that price and be done when the stadium opens and what a fantastic unveiling for ODU's Football Future. A few corporate sponsors and a fund raising campaign would be the most painless way to make this happen. ODU needs something like this for the heritage and what a Majestic statement to have greet fans as they enter the Stadium.

The players walk "March" to the stadium could culminate with a Good Luck embrace of Majestic Blue. as they enter. What a GREAT NEW way to start a "Game Day Tradition".

Are statues made with a mold? If so, perhaps we could save money and repurpose the mold for the statue in front of Webb Center and put a couple of lions on campus. I'd like to see them on the corners of campus along Hampton Blvd too. Imagine one on each side by the Firehouse and by the Ted. Then on the corners of 49th by the stadium and the convenience store by WHRO. Welcoming you to ODU. Another thought is, perhaps we will put the clock tower in front of the new Webb Center, and we can move the lion statue/fountain to in front of the new stadium near the ticket windows so you can see it from Hampton Blvd and 49th.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 07-18-2017 03:42 PM

Put it on a pedestal with big plaques engraved with the names of the donors around it. 4 sides, 250 names on each side. A $300 donation gets your name on it to live forever outside the stadium. We only need 1000 people and its done. Sign me up. I think it could happen.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 07-18-2017 03:44 PM

It also builds lasting connections to the university. People could memorialize their loved ones, people could donate at graduation and come back years later and show their kids their name on the statue etc. This is a good idea and a way to give an opportunity to us small and mid-sized donors to play a role in something really cool.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 07-18-2017 03:45 PM

(07-18-2017 03:38 PM)monarx Wrote:  

Are statues made with a mold? If so, perhaps we could save money and repurpose the mold for the statue in front of Webb Center and put a couple of lions on campus. I'd like to see them on the corners of campus along Hampton Blvd too. Imagine one on each side by the Firehouse and by the Ted. Then on the corners of 49th by the stadium and the convenience store by WHRO. Welcoming you to ODU. Another thought is, perhaps we will put the clock tower in front of the new Webb Center, and we can move the lion statue/fountain to in front of the new stadium near the ticket windows so you can see it from Hampton Blvd and 49th.

I think the statue in front of Webb was an artist sculpture that he designed for the fountain. In the 1990s, the Monarch lion statue was added to the mall's fountain. Designed by ODU alumnus and adjunct faculty member Kevin Gallup, the statue is a 1,000-pound, six-foot-high bronze sculpture. The Monarch statue was dedicated on Founders Day, 1997.Today, Kaufman Mall is a four-acre green space at the center of campus where students can study, relax, and play games.

However, the one I have pictured is a concrete monument "Statue" They typically are made from molds and YES it could be used again. I believe they do them in sections and than are put together. That is the most inexpensive way to create/design one that size. An Artist sculpture could be much more expensive, especially depending on the Artist and the time involved.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-18-2017 04:13 PM

(07-18-2017 03:45 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 03:38 PM)monarx Wrote:  

I think the statue in front of Webb was an artist sculpture that he designed for the fountain. In the 1990s, the Monarch lion statue was added to the mall's fountain. Designed by ODU alumnus and adjunct faculty member Kevin Gallup, the statue is a 1,000-pound, six-foot-high bronze sculpture. The Monarch statue was dedicated on Founders Day, 1997.Today, Kaufman Mall is a four-acre green space at the center of campus where students can study, relax, and play games.

However, the one I have pictured is a concrete monument "Statue" They typically are made from molds and YES it could be used again. I believe they do them in sections and than are put together. That is the most inexpensive way to create/design one that size. An Artist sculpture could be much more expensive, especially depending on the Artist and the time involved.

I wonder if this could work.

Large main statue for the stadium.

The artist could shrink down the mold and sell smaller versions of it as additional fund raising towards the cost of the main statue, or just funds for him/her self.

The smaller statues for home gardens or where ever could help foster a connection with the school.

I still think that the ODU Alum Association should be passing out yard flags or car stickers instead of pins at graduation. People would actually show off their ODU Swag.

I'm sure there might eat into sales at the book store... but the sheer number of free ODU swag out and about would help turn this area into a real Monarch Nation. 6k graduates every year or something right? 10 years car stickers and the area would be flooded....

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 07-18-2017 04:17 PM

(07-18-2017 03:42 PM)monarx Wrote:  

Put it on a pedestal with big plaques engraved with the names of the donors around it. 4 sides, 250 names on each side. A $300 donation gets your name on it to live forever outside the stadium. We only need 1000 people and its done. Sign me up. I think it could happen.

You could have it 9 or10 feet tall and have 1008 name blocks on the BACK that would consist of 16 rows and 63 columns ... I believe if the base is 9 or 10 feet wide and 8 or 9 feet tall you could have 16 row with 4.5" or 5" wide blocks with a 2" tall block and still have a nice boarder around the entire back.
[Image: Names_2.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 07-18-2017 05:40 PM

Thats a tall pedestal. I'd think maybe 5 feet tall. You want the statue to be low enough to the ground for people to take pictures with it.

RE: ODU Master Plan - TedHead - 07-18-2017 06:02 PM

I noticed at ECU they had a plaza outside their stadium with flags of all the bowl games they have participated in.

RE: ODU Master Plan - The Doctor Is In - 07-18-2017 07:30 PM

Could we get something similar at the Ted to commemorate JJ's NCAA tournament bids? Oh, wait a minute...that's another sport...

RE: ODU Master Plan - FTW ODU - 07-19-2017 07:36 AM

(07-18-2017 07:30 PM)The Doctor Is In Wrote:  Could we get something similar at the Ted to commemorate JJ's NCAA tournament bids? Oh, wait a minute...that's another sport...

+1 04-cheers

RE: ODU Master Plan - Old Dominion - 07-19-2017 07:45 AM

(07-18-2017 07:30 PM)The Doctor Is In Wrote:  Could we get something similar at the Ted to commemorate JJ's NCAA tournament bids? Oh, wait a minute...that's another sport...

Should be easy. The cost would be minimal.

RE: ODU Master Plan - DaBigBlue - 07-19-2017 08:29 AM

I've always liked the NC State Wolfpack Statue and fountain at Carter Finley Stadium.

The other thing is sell brick pavers with names, you aren't limited in the number and people can see and read them.

[Image: 880f5c40c6346dc320ee772c4047985e.jpg]