CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODUi - 07-11-2017 12:41 PM

I thought the INN was suppose to be converted to a police station... I could've sworn I read that somewhere a long time ago. Was it in the old Master Plan?

RE: ODU Master Plan - Gilesfan - 07-11-2017 01:08 PM

(07-11-2017 11:12 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  They need to start buying up properties on 42nd and 43rd street on the west side of Hampton Blvd. Slowly but surly take over.

Yet, people are making this as difficult as can possibly be.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-11-2017 01:13 PM

(07-11-2017 01:08 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 11:12 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  They need to start buying up properties on 42nd and 43rd street on the west side of Hampton Blvd. Slowly but surly take over.

People just understand the value of their properties and don't want to sell. They fully understand that the land is more important to the school the the market value says. They should be paid for their homes accordingly.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 07-11-2017 01:16 PM

(07-11-2017 01:13 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  

People just understand the value of their properties and don't want to sell. They fully understand that the land is more important to the school the the market value says. They should be paid for their homes accordingly.

I hope the Central Radio Co. goes out of business

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-11-2017 01:36 PM

(07-11-2017 01:16 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  

Why? Because they (a local business) refused to have their land forcefully taken away from them? ODU was not being forced to expand, they did so optionally.

The deal ODU and the City had set up was pretty shady. I think that was the reason why ODU / the city lost their case.

There is plenty of other land in the area, namely on the west side of Hampton that the school could have expanded to. Might have been wiser to lower the amount of students crossing Hampton Blvd.

I might be wrong, I'll have to dig up an news article. But I think the spot where Central Radio is currently was supposed to become a grocery store.

The Central Radio case is now a case among others that is studied as examples of Eminent Domain abuse.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 07-11-2017 01:46 PM

(07-11-2017 01:36 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  

Why? Because they (a local business) refused to have their land forcefully taken away from them? ODU was not being forced to expand, they did so optionally.

The deal ODU and the City had set up was pretty shady. I think that was the reason why ODU / the city lost their case.

There is plenty of other land in the area, namely on the west side of Hampton that the school could have expanded to. Might have been wiser to lower the amount of students crossing Hampton Blvd.

I might be wrong, I'll have to dig up an news article. But I think the spot where Central Radio is currently was supposed to become a grocery store.

The Central Radio case is now a case among others that is studied as examples of Eminent Domain abuse.

I guess my issue is that there business is not dependent on their location. Their signage and advertising is not bringing in customers off the street. They are a different type of business and would do just fine in another location. The city should have never let them build the world ugliest sheet metal building right next to our nice campus.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-11-2017 01:55 PM

"According to a 2005 University Village master plan done by ODU, a grocery store was planned for the property between 38th and 41st streets, the location of the properties that the housing authority wants to condemn or buy."

https://pilotonline.com/inside-business/news/economic-development/nrha-redevelopment-plans-remain-active/article_97374c0a-1a80-5fb2-9df2-108cfd2b56ce.html

Still looking for specifics.

IRC, Central Radio was willing to go along, provided that the land be used solely for academic purposes. Granted come 2008, the grocery store was no longer in the plan. However I have found mention of it in articles dated 2010 & 2011. Apparently there is still a need for one in the area as one will be going up south of the campus.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-11-2017 02:00 PM

(07-11-2017 01:46 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 01:36 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 01:08 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Yet, people are making this as difficult as can possibly be.

I guess my issue is that there business is not dependent on their location. Their signage and advertising is not bringing in customers off the street. They are a different type of business and would do just fine in another location. The city should have never let them build the world ugliest sheet metal building right next to our nice campus.

That building is not new. The building was more than fine, when you consider the other buildings that used to stand in the area. ODU's campus limits were further north as the school was MUCH smaller back when central radio located to its current location.

Ideally, the school should be working with Central Radio and Norva Plastics. Internships, student projects and other partnerships would go along way with helping engineering students.

BTW we have already gone over this issue.

http://csnbbs.com/post-12589832.html

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 07-11-2017 02:07 PM

(07-11-2017 09:26 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 08:51 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  I think the best place for a 10-12 story residence hall would be on Hampton Blvd at the current site of the ODU Inn. That thing is an eye sore and a waste of space.

Agreed. Thats a nice prime piece of property that has much potential. The land is likely more firm there too since its farther from the river.

(07-11-2017 09:33 AM)ODU2017 Wrote:  I never understood the purpose of the inn. The sign outside is tacky and it's a small ugly building in a large and highly visible lot. It would significantly improve the landscape if it were replaced.

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app

(07-11-2017 09:40 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  I dont think I ever stepped foot in the Inn once. I think that is a no brainier for demolition or renovation

(07-11-2017 09:47 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  I have no idea what it's purpose is. But I'm a terrible judge of use of structures like that as I was a prototypical commuter.

When I was a freshman, the Inn was used for the incoming freshman that didn't get a spot in one of the various dorms around campus. It's small and ugly, in one of the worst locations on campus, and literally everyone I knew that lived in it absolutely hated it. I wasn't even allowed in with friends who lived there because they wouldn't allow guests after a certain time of the day, even if you were another student. If it finally gets torn down, it will be a place that will not be missed

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 07-11-2017 02:28 PM

http://www.dailypress.com/business/dp-tidewaterbiz-york-developer-20160513-story.html

Anyone have information on this? A retail development that was supposed to be just south of campus?

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 07-11-2017 02:59 PM

(07-11-2017 02:28 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  http://www.dailypress.com/business/dp-tidewaterbiz-york-developer-20160513-story.html

Anyone have information on this? A retail development that was supposed to be just south of campus?

Project should have started or will start soon based on info from the mini-storage that is being demolished for it. Lot of stuff to clear in prep though.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-11-2017 03:04 PM

(07-11-2017 02:59 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 02:28 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  http://www.dailypress.com/business/dp-tidewaterbiz-york-developer-20160513-story.html

Project should have started or will start soon based on info from the mini-storage that is being demolished for it. Lot of stuff to clear in prep though.

There is a better map somewhere else, but this is the only one I know how to find right away.

http://www.thoushaltgrow.com/all-news

[Image: 2q16wqx.png]
Lamberts Point Shopping Center Submits a Revision
January 13, 2016
This proposal is for a new shopping center with a total of 145,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, including a grocery store. It is to be located between 27th Street and the railroad tracks on the west side of Hampton Boulevard in Lamberts Point.

The grocery store is shown to be 28,000 square feet, with additional smaller retail and restaurant space. An existing industrial warehouse on the site is proposed to be reused for 24,000 square feet of unique retail and dining space.

The site will contain several buildings, including some that front Hampton Boulevard in a more urban form in addition to those in a more traditional shopping center layout. The design also appears to draw inspiration from the industrial buildings that currently occupy the property.

The original site plan approved in late 2015 involved demolition of all existing buildings, but the new plan calls out the reuse of the aforementioned warehouse. Additionally, the Elizabeth River Trail is shown as rerouted off of the Hampton Boulevard sidewalk between 24th and 26th streets and instead follows a dedicated path along the railroad tracks and Bowdens Ferry Road near Bold Mariner Brewing.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-11-2017 03:12 PM

(07-10-2017 07:24 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 06:52 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Looks great! Are those the only two active projects on campus right now?

As far as I am aware yes.
If I remember, I can head over to where the new dorm building is to go up and see if they have started any prep.

cmett003, I went riding around campus.

I did not see any other construction going on.
The District however has changed it's name. Probably to get away from all the bad press it received and to hide from google searches. It got so bad ODU stopped recommending students to live there.

[Image: 1ih0ki.png]
[Image: 243nn1h.png]

Currently the path that traces the gravel path that followed old Quarantine Rd is roped off with Caution Tape. Might be getting ready for construction/demo?

[Image: 8yxgz8.png]

The area on 49th and Powhatan does not show any signs of prep for the new dorm building. I did notice a new(er) plastic play set outside one of the trailer buildings.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 07-11-2017 04:02 PM

(07-11-2017 02:07 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 09:26 AM)monarx Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 08:51 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  I think the best place for a 10-12 story residence hall would be on Hampton Blvd at the current site of the ODU Inn. That thing is an eye sore and a waste of space.

Agreed. Thats a nice prime piece of property that has much potential. The land is likely more firm there too since its farther from the river.

(07-11-2017 09:33 AM)ODU2017 Wrote:  I never understood the purpose of the inn. The sign outside is tacky and it's a small ugly building in a large and highly visible lot. It would significantly improve the landscape if it were replaced.

(07-11-2017 09:40 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  I dont think I ever stepped foot in the Inn once. I think that is a no brainier for demolition or renovation

(07-11-2017 09:47 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  I have no idea what it's purpose is. But I'm a terrible judge of use of structures like that as I was a prototypical commuter.

When I was a freshman, the Inn was used for the incoming freshman that didn't get a spot in one of the various dorms around campus. It's small and ugly, in one of the worst locations on campus, and literally everyone I knew that lived in it absolutely hated it. I wasn't even allowed in with friends who lived there because they wouldn't allow guests after a certain time of the day, even if you were another student. If it finally gets torn down, it will be a place that will not be missed

Pretty sure the Inn was privately owned at one time and then ODU acquired it. When I was in school it was actually a hotel that supposedly wasn't too bad. The best thing to do is demolish it and reuse that space for something nice. Or a tailgate lot... either one. :)

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-11-2017 06:17 PM

(07-07-2017 11:55 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  Found some good information (as of April 27, 2017) on the Student Union, New Chemistry Building and the new dorm Owens House, located here:

https://www.odu.edu/content/dam/odu/offices/bov/meetings/2016-2017/2016-09-22/administration-finance-agenda-09-22-16.pdf

WEBB CENTER DESIGN PROJECT (NEW STUDENT UNION): Designed contract awarded to Moseley Architechs with WTW Architechs. Going to demolish the existing Webb Center and replace it with a multi-story structure up to 247, 614 sf (that is huge).

HUGO OWENS HOUSE RESIDENCE HALL: VMDO Architects will be the design fim, to be located next to the Student Rec Center. Approximately 165,000 sf and 500 beds. That will be one of the biggest dorms on campus and approx 6-7 stories. Estimated Completion: Fall 2019

looked up what the master plan had listed for the new dorm building.
(Slide 33 of the '13 masterplan powerpoint)

[Image: a2zvwk.png]

Looks like they are going to try and make up some of the beds that were supposed to go where the stadium is currently. I guess we can expect all of the new dorms are going to be huge.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 07-11-2017 08:19 PM

(07-11-2017 04:02 PM)monarx Wrote:  Pretty sure the Inn was privately owned at one time and then ODU acquired it. When I was in school it was actually a hotel that supposedly wasn't too bad. The best thing to do is demolish it and reuse that space for something nice. Or a tailgate lot... either one. :)

Some place nice and tailgate lot aren't mutually exclusive. =]

Anyone that's been to a ECU game knows just about any level (not a requirement) piece of land is used for tailgating for a 3 mile radius.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-12-2017 12:28 PM

Forgot to share this addition to campus :)

There used to be a platform that a turtle would chill out on. Looks like it's been upgraded.

[Image: 2hrmvjq.png]
[Image: 2rpzafl.png]
[Image: 2hclphc.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - Blue_Trombone - 07-12-2017 12:53 PM

Funnily enough, the Duck Inn probably has better amenities than The Inn.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU2017 - 07-12-2017 02:05 PM

Nice go see it occupied already. Must be pretty upscale residents to afford the flood insurance on that place.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 07-12-2017 02:48 PM

Since I've been taking so many pics, any requests of a building or intersection?