CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU79 - 06-08-2017 03:57 PM

TBH, if I knew what ODU looked like before I was accepted and came down here in 1975, I may not have applied. Their university map conveniently left off all of the businesses so the campus looked like it was all to itself. When I got here it definitely wasn't that! And Webb Center Mall was nothing but barren dirt piles, trenches and torn up piping. It seems the contractor doing the job went under so the school had to find someone else. Good times...

ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 06-08-2017 05:01 PM

A Buffalo Wild Wings or some other sports bar would really help that part of Hampton blvd

ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 06-08-2017 05:07 PM

(06-08-2017 05:01 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  A Buffalo Wild Wings or some other sports bar would really help that part of Hampton blvd

Hey now, as long as it doesn't kill business to the Dirty Buffalo! (Also owned by an ODU alum, bringing up that other thread we have here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 06-08-2017 05:18 PM

(06-08-2017 05:07 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 05:01 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  A Buffalo Wild Wings or some other sports bar would really help that part of Hampton blvd

Hey now, as long as it doesn't kill business to the Dirty Buffalo! (Also owned by an ODU alum, bringing up that other thread we have here)

I hear ODU very much wanted a BWW in the village, but they signed a contract with Monarch Sports Grill that they could be the only wing place in the village. Very short sighted if you ask me. That place has never lived up to its potential. Do students even frequent the places in the village? Seems to me they prefer Cogans, Delvechios, U Pizza, Dirty Buffalo etc.

ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 06-08-2017 05:22 PM

La H is really popular along with the sushi spot and I think P Franks has always been a hit. The places are just small. They need bigger restaurants around campus

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 06-08-2017 05:23 PM

(06-08-2017 03:25 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 03:06 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 02:48 PM)monarx Wrote:  I also always thought that a grocery shopping center, and a fraternity row would be a nice buffer between campus and the hood. Add plenty of bike cops and extend the wall around more of campus on that side and we'd have the start of something good.

FWIW, they're building a shopping center in Lamberts Point between 23rd and 26th street. Should be pretty nice.

[Image: 573b573a8a1dd.image.jpg]

http://pilotonline.com/inside-business/big-projects-for-norfolk-and-suffolk-new-jobs-for-smithfield/article_cce6cfae-cee5-5895-8a32-2af714386040.html

That project has been dormant for a while. It says the project should be completed by the end of 2017. I don't think it has even started. If it does it would help a lot.

This is a great project. I hope it happens. The article says most likely Spring 18 opening, so they better get busy.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Blue_Trombone - 06-08-2017 05:33 PM

Yeah, I'd much rather have Dirty Buff than BWW any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 06-08-2017 05:38 PM

I really like the local spots but the bigger names attract other businesses and that's what we need to get that part of Hampton blvd better

ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 06-08-2017 05:51 PM

(06-08-2017 05:18 PM)monarx Wrote:  

I hear ODU very much wanted a BWW in the village, but they signed a contract with Monarch Sports Grill that they could be the only wing place in the village. Very short sighted if you ask me. That place has never lived up to its potential. Do students even frequent the places in the village? Seems to me they prefer Cogans, Delvechios, U Pizza, Dirty Buffalo etc.

I know La H is a popular spot, the only issue is that it closes early, even on weekends. The Edge (not in the village but on Hampton) and Mojo Bones are always busy, or at least on certain nights one is more popular than the other when they're having promotions: country night, dollar pitchers, mug night, etc. P. Franks can get busy but it's not a "bar" per se. Monarch sports Grille has the potential as the prime ODU sports bar but the food sucks and I feel like nothing about it says "ODU" other than the logo on the menu. The atmosphere is pretty lacking there too. Other than that, at least when I was a student, the village was pretty busy, but not much nightlife outside of Mojo Bones and La H. It serves a great student housing option if that means anything.

Those off campus bars you mentioned are all great and to be honest, after getting tired of only going to the Edge and MB, they were a breath of fresh air, and they were all within a 5-10 minute drive of campus, but for students who lived a mile or so off campus they were the far better choice.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 06-08-2017 05:58 PM

(06-08-2017 03:25 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 03:06 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(06-08-2017 02:48 PM)monarx Wrote:  I also always thought that a grocery shopping center, and a fraternity row would be a nice buffer between campus and the hood. Add plenty of bike cops and extend the wall around more of campus on that side and we'd have the start of something good.

FWIW, they're building a shopping center in Lamberts Point between 23rd and 26th street. Should be pretty nice.

[Image: 573b573a8a1dd.image.jpg]

http://pilotonline.com/inside-business/big-projects-for-norfolk-and-suffolk-new-jobs-for-smithfield/article_cce6cfae-cee5-5895-8a32-2af714386040.html

That project has been dormant for a while. It says the project should be completed by the end of 2017. I don't think it has even started. If it does it would help a lot.

The timeline was delayed last due to issues with the LP civic league. But it's happening.

ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 06-08-2017 05:58 PM

(06-08-2017 05:38 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  I really like the local spots but the bigger names attract other businesses and that's what we need to get that part of Hampton blvd better

I agree. I just love me some Dirty Buffalo haha

RE: ODU Master Plan - webster - 06-09-2017 11:26 AM

My brother goes to ECU, and let me tell you that Greenville screams college town. I understand that the circumstances are very different, but ODU needs to do everything in their power to market themselves around campus and the surrounding area.
Everywhere around Greenville is ECU Pirates themed. So many bars, restaurants, stores, etc. Even saw a banks ATM has a pirate logo and is painted purple.
I know there are a few spots around the village which show Monarch pride, but we somehow need to emulate Greenville any way possible.
Like I said, circumstances make our Universities way different. We have historically been a commuter school(though that's changing with more housing), share the city with another university, location puts us next to some undesirable neighborhoods...but all I'm saying is that we need to do better to "own" this town or at least this part of it.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 06-09-2017 11:37 AM

(06-09-2017 11:26 AM)webster Wrote:  My brother goes to ECU, and let me tell you that Greenville screams college town. I understand that the circumstances are very different, but ODU needs to do everything in their power to market themselves around campus and the surrounding area.
Everywhere around Greenville is ECU Pirates themed. So many bars, restaurants, stores, etc. Even saw a banks ATM has a pirate logo and is painted purple.
I know there are a few spots around the village which show Monarch pride, but we somehow need to emulate Greenville any way possible.
Like I said, circumstances make our Universities way different. We have historically been a commuter school(though that's changing with more housing), share the city with another university, location puts us next to some undesirable neighborhoods...but all I'm saying is that we need to do better to "own" this town or at least this part of it.

ECU is also next to some pretty bad neighborhoods. The biggest difference is the "Ghent-like" area is only a few blocks from campus, and the community embraces the university as the biggest thing around there. The village was supposed to be like that, but it has no character. I think the best thing about ODU acquiring EVMS if it ever happens, is that Ghent will become a bridge linking the two campuses together. Colley ave could basically become ODUtown. The other difference is that a lot of the people in the Greenville area work for ECU and are proud of that. ODU has a lot of proud employees too, but it has a significant number who have no customer service training and are obviously there just for a paycheck. But back to the area, theres no reason why Ghent, NoCo and even downtown shouldn't be covered in ODU stuff. FWIW, I was in the Cook Out in NN last week, and they had a nice ODU banner hanging, along with a WM one and three CNU pennants.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Gilesfan - 06-09-2017 11:45 AM

You just can't compare ODU to rural college towns. It just isn't anything similar to that and the comparison really doesn't make sense.

It is a fantastic idea and I would love it to happen, i just don't see it as likely at all.

ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 06-09-2017 11:52 AM

(06-09-2017 11:45 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  You just can't compare ODU to rural college towns. It just isn't anything similar to that and the comparison really doesn't make sense.

It is a fantastic idea and I would love it to happen, i just don't see it as likely at all.

We are not comparing the cities of Norfolk and Greenville. We are comparing the school pride in Norfolk and Greenville. We need to do better and the city of Norfolk needs to help that.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 06-09-2017 11:55 AM

(06-09-2017 11:45 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  You just can't compare ODU to rural college towns. It just isn't anything similar to that and the comparison really doesn't make sense.

Then compare it to Richmond. The Fan and Shokoe Bottom have a lot more ugly yellow around than we have Blue in Ghent and downtown.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Gilesfan - 06-09-2017 11:55 AM

(06-09-2017 11:52 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  

We are not comparing the cities of Norfolk and Greenville. We are comparing the school pride in Norfolk and Greenville. We need to do better and the city of Norfolk needs to help that.

The location plays a part in that. What else is there to do in Greenville besides root for ECU? Just like Blacksburg. Just like Happy Valley, etc.

RE: ODU Master Plan - FearTheLion - 06-09-2017 12:07 PM

(06-09-2017 11:55 AM)monarx Wrote:  

Then compare it to Richmond. The Fan and Shokoe Bottom have a lot more ugly yellow around than we have Blue in Ghent and downtown.

Bingo. Same issues except VCU just started buying up property and made the fan to downtown theirs. ODU is still complaining about what they cannot do.

We should be trying to influence as much as possible going south all the way to EVMS--whether they want to rebrand ODUMS or not.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Mr.BigBlue - 06-09-2017 12:28 PM

(06-09-2017 11:52 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  

Amen ! Right on point !

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 06-09-2017 12:54 PM

(06-09-2017 11:55 AM)monarx Wrote:  

Well the difference is that VCU's campus is spread out among the city while at ODU we have a "traditional" campus. ODU has also essentially created a border, where the campus on the West side of Hampton is completely blocked in, which means yo ucan literally drive by campus in a blink of an eye