CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - Petey Hodge - 01-24-2017 06:54 PM

(01-24-2017 06:47 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  for the unwashed masses, what is LEED silver?

Click here

RE: ODU Master Plan - Old Dominion - 01-24-2017 06:59 PM

thank you.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 01-24-2017 09:46 PM

(01-24-2017 06:59 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  thank you.

In wonder how much the location kept it from getting gold. The soil ODU is on sucks.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Oduniceguy - 01-25-2017 12:55 AM

In 2009, IIRC, then governor Bob McDonnell made it a rule that all state college and university buildings that were being built or undergoing significant renovations had to be LEED Silver certified. The Engineering and Computational Sciences Building (opened in 2004) is actually the first university building to carry a LEED certification in the state of Virginia.

Virginia is the #9 state in LEED certifications, per capita, as of 2015. We have been as high as #7, IIRC.
http://www.usgbc.org/articles/usgbc-releases-2015-top-10-states-leed-green-building-capita-us

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 01-25-2017 06:35 AM

If that's true, then ODU is going to have some real boasting soon.
Lots of new buildings to show up on ODU's campus over the what I'm guessing is 20 years.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 01-25-2017 08:33 AM

(01-24-2017 09:46 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(01-24-2017 06:59 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  thank you.

In wonder how much the location kept it from getting gold. The soil ODU is on sucks.

I could be wrong but the only building in Norfolk certified as LEED gold is the Wells Fargo Tower on Monticello. I know it was the first in Norfolk.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 12thmonarch - 01-25-2017 08:46 AM

(01-25-2017 12:55 AM)Oduniceguy Wrote:  In 2009, IIRC, then governor Bob McDonnell made it a rule that all state college and university buildings that were being built or undergoing significant renovations had to be LEED Silver certified. The Engineering and Computational Sciences Building (opened in 2004) is actually the first university building to carry a LEED certification in the state of Virginia.

Virginia is the #9 state in LEED certifications, per capita, as of 2015. We have been as high as #7, IIRC.
http://www.usgbc.org/articles/usgbc-releases-2015-top-10-states-leed-green-building-capita-us

That building was literally my home from 06 to 09. Reminiscing those wonderful days 07-coffee3 BTW a little off topic for any recent Comp Sci Grads, if you have attended any Prof Nelson classes, Is he still opening the class on Monday with a VT game discussion. Man he used to bring it up every week while being no too pompous. I hope he is embracing the Monarch Football even though he is a Tech Alumni.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Oduniceguy - 01-25-2017 10:15 AM

(01-25-2017 08:46 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(01-25-2017 12:55 AM)Oduniceguy Wrote:  In 2009, IIRC, then governor Bob McDonnell made it a rule that all state college and university buildings that were being built or undergoing significant renovations had to be LEED Silver certified. The Engineering and Computational Sciences Building (opened in 2004) is actually the first university building to carry a LEED certification in the state of Virginia.

That building was literally my home from 06 to 09. Reminiscing those wonderful days 07-coffee3 BTW a little off topic for any recent Comp Sci Grads, if you have attended any Prof Nelson classes, Is he still opening the class on Monday with a VT game discussion. Man he used to bring it up every week while being no too pompous. I hope he is embracing the Monarch Football even though he is a Tech Alumni.

I always made it a point to take tour groups inside of the E&CS Building when giving tours. I'd also take them into the lecture hall on the first floor.

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 01-25-2017 01:41 PM

(01-23-2017 12:58 PM)odu09 Wrote:  Doug Ripley walked through the basketball practice facility during his coaches show. The walkthrough starts around the 13 minute mark:

https://youtu.be/c1QCW4yL3u4?t=13m35s

I must say, it looks bigger on the inside than it does from outside.

I also noticed that but Coach Barefoot's office is HUGE. Nice digs!

after seeing renderings and thinking the practice gym was going to be small, I'm glad to see how big it actually is from that video. Coming from construction I can see what the end result will look like in my head and I love it. Also, I used to practice in the Jarrett building practice gym. It's not a bad building or gym but this is a HUGE upgrade. This building is great for the program

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 01-25-2017 02:05 PM

Right? It always looked so small to me from the outside. I'm happy with the way things are turning out.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 03-21-2017 10:54 AM

Any new updates on campus construction projects or any new projects getting started?

RE: ODU Master Plan - FearTheLion - 03-21-2017 11:24 AM

I might have missed someone else posting this but since the updates are slow, I will attach an article on our updated football training center. Very curious how and why ODU is so low profile on this, given that every other football program (including JMU) goes hard to sell these performance/practice facilities. I guess it just feels shameful that we'd spend small dollars to give players something better for workouts in the current Virginia political climate.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist/harry-minium/minium-odu-s-new-football-training-facility-s-a-gem/article_d57166e3-c231-5dbf-8d02-19007450d56d.html

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU_NYG - 03-21-2017 12:44 PM

(03-21-2017 11:24 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  I might have missed someone else posting this but since the updates are slow, I will attach an article on our updated football training center. Very curious how and why ODU is so low profile on this, given that every other football program (including JMU) goes hard to sell these performance/practice facilities. I guess it just feels shameful that we'd spend small dollars to give players something better for workouts in the current Virginia political climate.

http://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist/harry-minium/minium-odu-s-new-football-training-facility-s-a-gem/article_d57166e3-c231-5dbf-8d02-19007450d56d.html

Someone did post this a couple of weeks ago (or maybe even last week). You're right though, they did very little to promote this.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 03-23-2017 02:20 AM

Been a while since I posted, been meaning to post pictures of the new buildings but I've been stupid busy with the new business.

Nothing official from the school cmett,

However, this is from last month:

http://www.yorkriverelectric.com/construction-of-new-child-study-center-project-code-221-17875-002-at-old-dominion-university-norfolk-va-23529/

Looks like it's going where some housing was supposed to go per the 2013 Master Plan.

http://www.odu.edu/content/dam/odu/offices/coo/docs/masterplan/december-master-plan.pdf

New housing no longer going where the stadium is, plus it seems they are changing other housing options. I wonder if they have they still plan to tear down the apartments on Powhatan.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Blue_Trombone - 03-23-2017 05:50 AM

I have to imagine tearing down Powhatan is still the plan, it's just what are they going to do with it? There is so much space over on that parcel I really hope they build up (4+ story buildings) so that there can be a somewhat sizeable greenspace there as well. Careful care with architecture, landscaping and pedestrian movement design could help create a connected campus feel.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Gilesfan - 03-23-2017 08:18 AM

I know the University would love to increase density and build taller structures, but it also has to meet parking requirements as well as some of the soils across campus aren't that great (from what I've been told).

RE: ODU Master Plan - Mr.BigBlue - 03-23-2017 08:22 AM

The next major dorm facilities will be on 49th street once the new Child study center is complete.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODUalum78 - 03-23-2017 08:26 AM

(03-23-2017 08:18 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I know the University would love to increase density and build taller structures, but it also has to meet parking requirements as well as some of the soils across campus aren't that great (from what I've been told).

That is indeed a problem at Powhatan, and was a major factor, even with support from some of our biggest alumni donors, in the abandoning of the stadium in that location.

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 03-23-2017 08:44 AM

It's a pretty common problem in Norfolk, which used to be pretty swampy back in the day. Same reason why a lot of the nice homes in Ghent are sinking.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 03-23-2017 08:52 AM

(03-23-2017 08:18 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I know the University would love to increase density and build taller structures, but it also has to meet parking requirements as well as some of the soils across campus aren't that great (from what I've been told).

More dorms should ease the need for parking because if you have more freshman living on campus you can do like many schools and not allow them to park on campus. That might even allow the private sector to move in, buy some sketchy place and turn it into a profitable parking center off campus. Frankly, every building we add should be a minimum of 6 stories or more. We should also start pursuing quality over quantity when it comes to incoming students. We are pretty maxed out for the space.