CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - Oduniceguy - 06-20-2016 05:54 PM

Easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. Learned that when guerrilla-shooting in construction areas during a film class with Conrad Winters.

That being said, this conversation never took place.

Godspeed.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-20-2016 06:04 PM

Nope. Don't F with the Quad copter "aka" Drone rules from the FAA.

This sucks, because I was hoping to take this thing apart and use it as a basis for a research project for school. I didn't want to be restricted to just flying it in my house, or within what ever building the school would allow me to test in.

I would have loved to do something like this

I've still got time I suppose. I guess I can still contact the FAA and see what their rules are for something like this.

Was really hoping to get some videos for the Alumni that are not around to look at the campus. Again, Sorry guys.

RE: ODU Master Plan - BigBlue23 - 06-20-2016 06:12 PM

(06-20-2016 12:15 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Look at the awesome update to the Bud for the 2017 season;
[Image: PATCCIQMRVMBION.20160617153010.jpg]

http://m.odusports.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=211022091&DB_OEM_ID=31100&

How is this being paid for?

I would rather take any $$$ going to this and divert it to the football stadium. Odu baseball averages less than 1000 people. Why dump money into this?

ODU Master Plan - ODU Hoops - 06-20-2016 06:21 PM

Because it is dirt cheap compared to any upgrades to the football stadium. I'm guessing this improvement to baseball cost about as much as 25 seat backs for football.

RE: ODU Master Plan - BigBlue23 - 06-20-2016 06:23 PM

But that's still 25 seat backs. I find this to be an utter wage of money. I am all for spending money but this seems wasteful. Students don't go to games. General public doesn't go to he game. I'd say soccer draws as many if not more.

This really fires me up (obviosuly)

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-20-2016 06:44 PM

Was the money a donation that somebody directed to be used for baseball?

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 06-20-2016 06:44 PM

(06-20-2016 06:12 PM)BigBlue23 Wrote:  
(06-20-2016 12:15 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Look at the awesome update to the Bud for the 2017 season;

http://m.odusports.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=211022091&DB_OEM_ID=31100&

How is this being paid for?

I would rather take any $$$ going to this and divert it to the football stadium. Odu baseball averages less than 1000 people. Why dump money into this?

Reading is fundamental and might help you avoid the aneurysm you're having over nothing.

Quote:Since Finwood's arrival in 2012, around 1.7 million has been spent, in mostly private funds, on multiple projects to improve and update the 33-year-old Bud Metheny Baseball Complex. Along with the new deck, some of those projects include:
Paul Keyes Indoor Hitting Facility
Brick walls, batter's eye and back stop net system
New home team bullpen and skills work area
Artificial turf areas, including a turf halo behind home plate, skills area outside the hitting facility and a renovated home bullpen area
Stadium sound system
Outfield padded wall and fencing
Locker room enhancements

All of those upgrades cost just 1.7 million, paid for with mostly private funds. These decks, while a great addition, are nowhere close to a majority of that 1.7 mil.

RE: ODU Master Plan - BigBlue23 - 06-20-2016 07:31 PM

So...reading ain't my forte...but I read it a few times and still don't see a price tag or how it's being paid for.

I'm the grand scheme of things, not the end of the world. Just a waste of money for a non revenue producing sport.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 06-20-2016 07:36 PM

(06-20-2016 07:31 PM)BigBlue23 Wrote:  So...reading ain't my forte...but I read it a few times and still don't see a price tag or how it's being paid for.

I'm the grand scheme of things, not the end of the world. Just a waste of money for a non revenue producing sport.

It clearly states mostly private funds were used to pay for all of the upgrades. The money was raised by the baseball program, they get to use it.

And for anyone who wants in the AAC, these investments in facilities across the board (tennis, baseball, wrestling, etc) show we are committed to building a strong athletic department. Not just a good bball or football team. That's what we need to do to set ourselves apart from the other schools we will fighting with for the one or two spots that open up.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarch Homselr - 06-20-2016 07:48 PM

The only sport that is an upgrade on competitiveness in CUSA is baseball. If all those upgrades only cost 1.7 million and mostly private funds...I'm all for it. We've been to a few baseball games and they were fun and were pretty well attended. There were lots of students there. Why does football have to be the sport that gets everything!

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 06-20-2016 08:08 PM

(06-20-2016 07:48 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  The only sport that is an upgrade on competitiveness in CUSA is baseball. If all those upgrades only cost 1.7 million and mostly private funds...I'm all for it. We've been to a few baseball games and they were fun and were pretty well attended. There were lots of students there. Why does football have to be the sport that gets everything!

I know Coach Dawson was very excited to be going to CUSA for soccer.

RE: ODU Master Plan - HeadsetGuy - 06-20-2016 08:44 PM

golf picked up lots of added visibility and invites to better tourneys as CUSA members

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU2K1 - 06-21-2016 07:27 AM

(06-20-2016 08:08 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(06-20-2016 07:48 PM)Monarch Homselr Wrote:  The only sport that is an upgrade on competitiveness in CUSA is baseball. If all those upgrades only cost 1.7 million and mostly private funds...I'm all for it. We've been to a few baseball games and they were fun and were pretty well attended. There were lots of students there. Why does football have to be the sport that gets everything!

I know Coach Dawson was very excited to be going to CUSA for soccer.

CUSA Soccer was a pretty decent bump up in competition. Not that the CAA was bad but CUSA is just that much better. In 2015 CUSA had the #4 spot in the conference RPI, the CAA checked in at #11.

RE: ODU Master Plan - The Flagship - 06-21-2016 08:32 AM

I like the idea of an upgrade, buy why would you put the grill area on the home plate side of the area? It should be on the outfield side closer to the visitor's bullpen.

Also, a net needs to be set over the top to protect these fans (least likely group paying attention to every pitch) from foul balls. All you need is 6 poles (3 along the back and 3 along the edge of the field) with netting sloped towards the field.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Sidewinder - 06-21-2016 10:16 AM

(06-21-2016 08:32 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  

I like the idea of an upgrade, buy why would you put the grill area on the home plate side of the area? It should be on the outfield side closer to the visitor's bullpen.

Also, a net needs to be set over the top to protect these fans (least likely group paying attention to every pitch) from foul balls. All you need is 6 poles (3 along the back and 3 along the edge of the field) with netting sloped towards the field.

Could be that the illustration leaves out the net. A net over the fans will protect them from pop-up fouls, but not from line-drives. Don't want to have any fans take one in the nose.

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonarchCAM - 06-21-2016 10:24 AM

There haven't been nets over Rally Alley since they built it. As far as I know, no one's been KO'd yet.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Sirloin Burger - 06-21-2016 01:51 PM

Yes, you see these in the outfield, not in line drive/foul ball/flying bat territory.

People in this area will most likely not be paying attention to the game and will have little or no time to react.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-26-2016 07:36 AM

found an old document regarding the cities master plan for Hampton Blvd and the surrounding areas.

http://www.norfolk.gov/DocumentCenter/View/1813

Doubt this is still in effect 100% due to eminent domain changes years ago. Some very interesting ideas and some really pretty ideas in there.

Anybody work for the city that might know more about this?

Here's just 1 thing I found interesting.
I remember seeing more of stuff like this in books of Norfolk's history.
Districts were sort of clearly marked off. I'd have to dig around more to see if there are plans to do more stuff like this around the city. It'd be interesting to see the area developed all the way down to Ghent.

[Image: 2mpzo74.png]

[Image: 33yhkic.png]
[Image: 2rdvu3b.png]

[Image: 1et8gg.jpg]
[Image: 2ak9t9x.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-27-2016 02:59 PM

Pictures of the basketball practice building as of this morning.
[Image: 2cdwl5g.png]
[Image: 6zmq9k.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 08-04-2016 02:25 AM

For the Alum that can't see what's going on.

1) The new cafeteria is just about done.
This is the latest official pictures from ODU
http://olddominion.campusdish.com/-/media/E2A59595F57A429CAF86F27D6042FE9C.ashx
I stopped by today to take some pictures. Got some wicked lens flare. I might try again tomorrow, or just wait until my Final on Friday.

2) Basketball practice building has bricks going up all around.

3) New Education building is wrapping up. I think they are just finishing doing the landscaping and some other final stuff. The new sidewalk has been cured for some time now.

Didn't ride over to check out the other practice facility, it's out of the way.

They have started ripping up the grass for a loading/service area for trucks/vans etc...
Right now it's just fenced off and maybe 30sq feet of grass has been ripped up?
[Image: 2u8j8lk.png]
[Image: wcfv9v.png]