CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-08-2016 12:37 PM

(06-08-2016 12:02 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 11:53 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  Might not be related but Channel 13 is on the corner of 45th and Hampton right now setting up. Wrong intersection if they are going to talk about the new building. Didn't see if channel 3 was on 43rd already.

They're probably recording a lead-in segment for tomorrow's stadium announcement.

Makes sense. Would make more sense if they did it at Forman.
I had forgot that the stadium stuff is tomorrow. Still feels like it's 6 months away.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Oduniceguy - 06-08-2016 12:53 PM

(06-08-2016 09:01 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  Anyone know the history behind the stables theater building?

When I was a tour guide I was told that it used to be called the barn and actually housed horses. I was also told that it has a connection with Quarantine Road, and the trail that cuts through campus, as quarantine housing for people sailing in from foreign ports.

Here's a small piece on Quarantine Road:

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/history/what-s-in-a-name-quarantine-road-norfolk/article_c78295a8-27b5-5f06-80f5-362402ca1c00.html

RE: ODU Master Plan - ETSUDB8-79 - 06-08-2016 01:03 PM

(06-08-2016 12:53 PM)Oduniceguy Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 09:01 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  Anyone know the history behind the stables theater building?

When I was a tour guide I was told that it used to be called the barn and actually housed horses. I was also told that it has a connection with Quarantine Road, and the trail that cuts through campus, as quarantine housing for people sailing in from foreign ports.

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/history/what-s-in-a-name-quarantine-road-norfolk/article_c78295a8-27b5-5f06-80f5-362402ca1c00.html

Here you go from the VA Pilot:

Dated 1916
Despite objections from local residents, the horse stables of the Norfolk Light Artillery Blues will be erected on 46th and 47th Streets at Lamberts Point, the Board of Control decides. An appropriation of $10,000 for the erection of the stables has already been approved. The U.S. government will supply the horses.

Compiled by Virginian-Pilot news researcher Jakon Hays

FWIW - When my brother was playing in the ODU Concert Band back in 1963, the old horse stable was where they practiced and although it may have been my young imagination it sure seemed like you could still smell that the horses had been there.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-08-2016 02:42 PM

(06-08-2016 01:03 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  

Dated 1916
Despite objections from local residents, the horse stables of the Norfolk Light Artillery Blues will be erected on 46th and 47th Streets at Lamberts Point, the Board of Control decides. An appropriation of $10,000 for the erection of the stables has already been approved. The U.S. government will supply the horses.

FWIW - When my brother was playing in the ODU Concert Band back in 1963, the old horse stable was where they practiced and although it may have been my young imagination it sure seemed like you could still smell that the horses had been there.

Thanks. It does like an old horse stable and figured as much.
Nice piece on Quarantine Rd. :)

Thanks guys!
Appreciate the read. Seems a little too nice to be a military building.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 06-08-2016 04:59 PM

(06-08-2016 01:03 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  

Dated 1916

Was fondly called the "The Barn" and later the Rehearsal Barn. ODU was very fortunate at the time to have a world renowned composer that was the director of the symphonic Wind Ensemble (Band) and he was also the music departments composition professor. He soon became recognized as one of Americas most incredible composers of the time. The Wind Ensemble premiered one of his compositions at the time, "Variations on A Theme of Robert Schumann" When Robert Jager left Old Dominion it was truly a loss. He also gave ODU a gift and composed several compositions just for the University, including orchestrating sever songs for Old Dominion

Robert Jager graduated from the University of Michigan where I believe he received his Masters in 1968. Prior to that he was at the School of Music From 1962 to 1965 and he was an arranger/composer for the US-Navy Armed Forces School of Music. He was hired by Old Dominion University to direct the Concert Band, he later re-named the Concert Band the Wind Ensemble. He was a wonderful ambassador for the music department as he gave lecturers at many Universities and High Schools around the Country and the area. As his become more and more renowned for his compositions it was just going to be a matter of time before he moved on. He left Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Virginia. In 1971.

He also wrote two of ODU's Fight Songs
Victory for Old Dominion was composed by the current band Director . Alexander Treviño

I believe the following my have also premiered in Norfolk featuring the ODU Wind Ensemble

1969 Sinfonietta
1970 Tour de Force - March
1971 Courage to Serve - March

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Jager

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-09-2016 08:10 AM

I will be doing more research on this. I used to be a band geek but never worked with anyone that was this good.
Does ODU have more cool things like this now a days? (Top performers in their field involved with the school) Or was it's hay day for stuff like this back in the 60's? (I have no basis for that statement, just what it seems like to me when I dig around in ODU's history.)

RE: ODU Master Plan - Oduniceguy - 06-09-2016 09:07 AM

Adolfus Hailstork and John Toomey are the first names that come to mind when I think about music at ODU. I'm sure there are more, but these are just the first that come to mind.

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonarchCAM - 06-09-2016 12:21 PM

Toomey is awesome. I had him for a jazz class. Probably my favorite class of all I took at ODU.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 06-09-2016 04:44 PM

Tommy Newsom of the Tonight show band also graduated from ODU. However, I understand his degree was in Music from the College of William and Mary, Norfolk Division. He went on to the Peabody Conservatory of Music, and Columbia University. He served in the Air Force where he played in the band, and later toured with the Benny Goodman Orchestra and performed with Vincent Lopez in New York.[3] Newsom joined the Tonight Show Band in 1962, and left it when Carson retired in 1992. In addition to Carson's orchestra, Newsom performed with the orchestra for the Merv Griffin Show. This was way before my time

Link.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Newsom

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-11-2016 01:57 PM

For the Alumni that don't get student announcements e-mail.
This was posted a few days ago for the new dining hall.

http://olddominion.campusdish.com/-/media/E2A59595F57A429CAF86F27D6042FE9C.ashx

http://olddominion.campusdish.com/-/media/48F6CBCDE3D44F2498631A0FFE540ECC.ashx

I had taken pictures of all of the construction sites but have been to lazy to update them.
I wish I still had my quadcopter. IF I order a new one I'll try and get video.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-19-2016 12:02 PM

Some pictures of the new Education building approaching from the West. (BAL is to the left, Gornto is to the right)
[Image: 2a4wgva.png]
[Image: 2drxgrk.png]
[Image: a2vhpi.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-19-2016 03:01 PM

I enjoyed these last year. I hope they keep doing these when the new science building goes up.

From ODU announcement.
ODU’s Pretlow Planetarium is happy to announce our line-up for summer 2016. We’re continuing our popular series from last few summers. Every Wednesday night, from June 1 – August 10, we will have a free planetarium show followed by public observing sessions with our telescopes. The shows will start at 8:30 and cover what’s currently in the night sky. Afterwards, at 9:00, we’ll go out and look at some of these celestial objects with our scopes as long as the weather cooperates.

All shows are free and open to the public, and families are always welcome. You do not need tickets or to make any reservations. The doors to the Planetarium will open at approximately 8:10 with the shows to start promptly at 8:30.

For more about our schedule, you can check out website at http://www.odu.edu/planetarium. We also have other fun, special events each month. You can also check our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter (@ODUplanetarium) for more announcements.
[Image: 2crpug6.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 06-20-2016 06:47 AM

(06-19-2016 12:02 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  Some pictures of the new Education building approaching from the West. (BAL is to the left, Gornto is to the right)
[Image: 2a4wgva.png]
[Image: 2drxgrk.png]
[Image: a2vhpi.png]

No more views of the Ted from Gornto! Oh well that is a really good looking building

RE: ODU Master Plan - FTW ODU - 06-20-2016 08:05 AM

(06-19-2016 03:01 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  I enjoyed these last year. I hope they keep doing these when the new science building goes up.

From ODU announcement.
ODU’s Pretlow Planetarium is happy to announce our line-up for summer 2016. We’re continuing our popular series from last few summers. Every Wednesday night, from June 1 – August 10, we will have a free planetarium show followed by public observing sessions with our telescopes. The shows will start at 8:30 and cover what’s currently in the night sky. Afterwards, at 9:00, we’ll go out and look at some of these celestial objects with our scopes as long as the weather cooperates.

All shows are free and open to the public, and families are always welcome. You do not need tickets or to make any reservations. The doors to the Planetarium will open at approximately 8:10 with the shows to start promptly at 8:30.

For more about our schedule, you can check out website at http://www.odu.edu/planetarium. We also have other fun, special events each month. You can also check our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter (@ODUplanetarium) for more announcements.
[Image: 2crpug6.png]

Thanks for making me aware of this. I loved my astronomy classes with Dr. Hanna. Easiest 'A' in the world and it was just plain fun to be in the planetarium.

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonarchCAM - 06-20-2016 09:25 AM

Yeah, I had it at 8am. He always had either Hendrix or the sound track from the original Muppet Movie playing before class. Not a bad way to start the day.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 06-20-2016 09:53 AM

One of my most memorable electives was Hanna's easy A. But had some great chats with him

RE: ODU Master Plan - bigblueodu - 06-20-2016 11:21 AM

I had Hannah too, actually I'm pretty sure he was NOT a Dr.
Every Monday...... Kermit the Frog song....
Why are there so many, songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side
Rainbows are visions
But only illusions
And rainbows have nothing to hide
Every Friday.......
"At 2am on Friday when you fall out of the bars and look up at the sky it will look like this..." then he would set the planetarium ceiling to 2am Friday.....

Great guy!

"Arc to Arcturus, Speed to Spica"

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 06-20-2016 12:15 PM

Look at the awesome update to the Bud for the 2017 season;
[Image: PATCCIQMRVMBION.20160617153010.jpg]

http://m.odusports.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=211022091&DB_OEM_ID=31100&

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 06-20-2016 12:31 PM

(06-20-2016 12:15 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Look at the awesome update to the Bud for the 2017 season;
[Image: PATCCIQMRVMBION.20160617153010.jpg]

http://m.odusports.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=211022091&DB_OEM_ID=31100&

Just saw this on instagram. The Rally Alley is getting an awesome addition! The Bud has slowly transformed from a regular baseball field into something beautiful. The Brick surrounding the field, the lion eyes in the batter's eye, the new batting cage, and now this. The new houses on 43rd also give it a nice backdrop as well in addition to the dorms and other building in the outfield

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-20-2016 12:54 PM

I just bought a new quad copter. (My first one since the FAA put the new rules into place.) Need to get clearance from Norfolk Airport as well as the Navy base airport.
Navy Base says they do not and will not give approval :(

Sorry guys. Was going to get footage of the schools construction zones.