CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue2 - 06-08-2016 07:01 AM

^^^ The article says the new museum will be "adjacent" to the Ted Constant Center, and across from the new Education Building, so it sounds like they might be putting it on the Ted side of that corner. They would have to relocate the box office, but there is enough space. The museum will be 24K sq. ft., and the Mitchum Basketball Facility is going to be 25k sq. ft.

Broderick said they chose to build it on Hampton Blvd. for increased visibility of that site..

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 06-08-2016 07:05 AM

(06-08-2016 06:24 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Very glad to have this amazing donation from the Barry family. One question I have is it seems that it's going to be built where the new administration building was going to be built. This is the one that was going to replace Koch and would house student services along with admin space. I wonder where that's going to go now. Unfortunately we don't really have that much space to be moving buildings around willy nilly.

I also wonder why they didn't put it with the rest of the arts district at ODU. It would've fit perfectly next to the Goode theatre, the new arts building and what will eventually be the new performance hall for Music and Fine Arts majors. It also would've been across from the 2 ponds/fountains so that would've been a nice view. Right now it looks like this amazing museum is going to wedged between a McDonalds, a parking garage, a basketball stadium and a fire station. It also looks to be a fairly small building on a larger tract of land. Maybe they'll wedge a taller but thinner admin building between it and the parking garage? I hope that this museum is a good land use for that area.

Looking at the Master Plan, the administration and student services together would have provided around 90,000 square feet of space, while this art museum will only provide 24,000 square feet of space. This would be fine if they just built 2 buildings in that space but from the pictures it looks like it takes up the whole plot of land. I wonder how that affects the replacement of the Koch building, and how that in turn affects the construction of our stadium if we build the new one at Foreman. If we can't get Koch replaced, can we get Foreman Field expanded?

As I said, very happy for the amazing gift, but the placement on our land-strapped campus confuses me.

I agree with what you said, and thought the same thing while reading the article. But I'm sure the Barry family may have asked for it to be there and with it being the largest donation in ODU's history, they either got their way or Broderick wanted to put it in a prime location so that people could see it as they drive down Hampton Blvd. I do think it would make more sense in the village around the rest of the art buildings and galleries, but with our land situation it was most likely easier just to put it there.

But that's coming from a guy who wishes all of our athletics were in some kind of "sports district" on campus like most schools do but with the Ted and Foreman Field, it will never happen, although most of our sports are all located in the same area. Land is precious where we're at and money talks!

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-08-2016 07:37 AM

Proposed sites
[Image: 2hnopjs.png]

Master Plan
[Image: 119704h.png]
[Image: qqc29g.png]

I had figured that the site set aside for the Koch Hall replacement was going to stay empty and remain used as a construction staging area for a long time to come

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-08-2016 07:41 AM

(06-06-2016 06:52 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Yes. I guess the more accurate terminology would be "the building that will be on the current footprint of the chemistry and planetarium buildings".

Also, you ever go to UrbanPlanet.org? It's got this kinda stuff but for cities. I'm super into master plans too and this site seemed to fulfill that for a while.

Hampton Roads board: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/342-hampton-roads/

Norfolk board: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/226-norfolk/

I check those sites out from time to time. Pretty much every time I go down town and see that empty warehouse by the peta building I check to see if something has changed in it's status. Looks to be a cool idea with the new apartments.... if it ever gets done.

Here's another site for you to look over too.
He doesn't catch everything but it's something.

http://www.thoushaltgrow.com/

RE: ODU Master Plan - 12thmonarch - 06-08-2016 08:23 AM

Why block the TED. Can't they do at the SE corner of 43rd and Hampton blvd. The last i have seen there's no construction on it things could've changed though.

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue2 - 06-08-2016 08:29 AM

(06-08-2016 08:23 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Why block the TED. Can't they do at the SE corner of 43rd and Hampton blvd. The last i have seen there's no construction on it things could've changed though.

That was just my reading of the article, I could easily be wrong. As Blue_Trombone said, the corner you mentioned is the proposed site of the future replacement for Koch Hall. I suppose both buildings could be built on that lot as well.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 12thmonarch - 06-08-2016 08:33 AM

(06-08-2016 08:29 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 08:23 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Why block the TED. Can't they do at the SE corner of 43rd and Hampton blvd. The last i have seen there's no construction on it things could've changed though.

That was just my reading of the article, I could easily be wrong. As Blue_Trombone said, the corner you mentioned is the proposed site of the future replacement for Koch Hall. I suppose both buildings could be built on that lot as well.

Thanks PB that makes sense and yes that lot is definitely big enough to accommodate both koch and the new museum. I wish we had some land near the art scene on the campus, corner of 47 th and Hampton the site of current Nursing department. Well what can we do such is the life of an urban school.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Blue_Trombone - 06-08-2016 08:51 AM

(06-08-2016 08:33 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 08:29 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  

Thanks PB that makes sense and yes that lot is definitely big enough to accommodate both koch and the new museum. I wish we had some land near the art scene on the campus, corner of 47 th and Hampton the site of current Nursing department. Well what can we do such is the life of an urban school.

It looks like the plan was to replace the Stables theatre, since it really isn't necessary with the Goode theatre being right next to it. That lot would have had enough space to accommodate the museum.

I'm not sure if both buildings would fit on that lot since it seems the required amount of space is ~ 90,000 gsf. To put that in comparison, the new education building is 120,000 gsf, which means the new admin building will have to be 75% the size of that, and the education building is gigantic. If they do use that space, the admin building would probably have to be 5-7 stories in order to not intrude on the museum.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-08-2016 09:01 AM

Anyone know the history behind the stables theater building?

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODUMONARCHZ1 - 06-08-2016 09:06 AM

I don't like bringing up vcu but they have their arts stuff together so I'm glad this is happening.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-08-2016 09:17 AM

(06-08-2016 12:14 AM)nakas12 Wrote:  http://pilotonline.com/news/local/education/higher-education/barry-family-gives-odu-largest-donation-in-school-s-history/article_eb508a16-461e-52c7-a531-c794f6ddd4bd.html

Barry family gives the biggest donation in ODU history! New art museum will be built in 2017-2018.

On the comments section somebody asked a question regarding the Batten donation in 2016 dollars.

[Image: nmf3wh.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 06-08-2016 10:08 AM

So this beautiful building will be next to McDonald's?

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue2 - 06-08-2016 10:11 AM

Here is a rendering of the new museum from architects saunders + crouse.

[Image: 47025292258c8d8649ee10b215ed5734.png]

It will be on the lot next to the proposed replacement of Koch Hall, not directly next to a McDonalds.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 06-08-2016 10:36 AM

My friend did the renderings, looks great and a huge thanks to the Barry family. Our University is growing in all areas, not just athletics.

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue2 - 06-08-2016 10:45 AM

saunders + crouse is the firm that designed the new "Glass Wheel Gallery" in the NEON District. They did a great job with that building.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Blue_Trombone - 06-08-2016 10:46 AM

(06-08-2016 10:45 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  saunders + crouse is the firm that designed the new "Glass Wheel Gallery" in the NEON District. They did a great job with that building.

Woah really? Well, at least we know the building's gonna be beautiful then.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-08-2016 11:53 AM

Might not be related but Channel 13 is on the corner of 45th and Hampton right now setting up. Wrong intersection if they are going to talk about the new building. Didn't see if channel 3 was on 43rd already.

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue2 - 06-08-2016 12:02 PM

(06-08-2016 11:53 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  Might not be related but Channel 13 is on the corner of 45th and Hampton right now setting up. Wrong intersection if they are going to talk about the new building. Didn't see if channel 3 was on 43rd already.

They're probably recording a lead-in segment for tomorrow's stadium announcement.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 06-08-2016 12:26 PM

(06-08-2016 10:11 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  Here is a rendering of the new museum from architects saunders + crouse.

It will be on the lot next to the proposed replacement of Koch Hall, not directly next to a McDonalds.

(06-08-2016 07:01 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  ^^^ The article says the new museum will be "adjacent" to the Ted Constant Center, and across from the new Education Building, so it sounds like they might be putting it on the Ted side of that corner. They would have to relocate the box office, but there is enough space. The museum will be 24K sq. ft., and the Mitchum Basketball Facility is going to be 25k sq. ft.

Broderick said they chose to build it on Hampton Blvd. for increased visibility of that site..

If it is going right along the Ted, will it fit? I think physically it can, but its going to:
1) Be out of place. It would make more sense in the arts section of the school.
2) Look weird. That beautiful building will be somewhat over shadowed by the Ted. (Good looking building, but I think it will detract)
We don't know if the family wanted it there or not, but if Broderick wants something that will let you know your on campus I think the Ted + Education building already does that, and maybe put the Alumni Center on that corner if it's open game for new construction.

[Image: 21aebn.png]
[Image: v832ab.png]
[Image: 1qpe86.png]
[Image: 66alg5.png]

Anyway, this is really cool. I hope I'm still in the area when it opens up.

I wonder how long the school has been sitting on this. If they are going to break ground next year, then they must already have things planned out and maybe already starting to order the materials for construction.

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue2 - 06-08-2016 12:36 PM

(06-08-2016 12:26 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(06-08-2016 10:11 AM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  Here is a rendering of the new museum from architects saunders + crouse.

If it is going right along the Ted, will it fit?

[Image: 21aebn.png]
[Image: v832ab.png]
[Image: 1qpe86.png]
[Image: 66alg5.png]

Based on the rendering (which I did not see until later this AM) it will be constructed on the same side of Hampton Blvd. as The Ted, but across 43rd. St. It butts up along side of (in front of) the parking deck. The glass wall is on Hampton Blvd., while the entrance is on 43rd St.