CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - AimHigher - 07-13-2014 07:22 PM

(07-13-2014 12:00 PM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  Maybe I'm missing something but I'm annoyed at the fact that we know that we will have to replace dorms to build the stadium, so why aren't we building dorms now? There are plenty of residential parts of the master plan, so we need to build some instead of the 'sexier' new academic buildings (or of course as well as).

psh!!!! Who needs academic buildings!?!?! We all know why we went to college for!!!! More dorms = more girls!!!

Jimmy Buffett quote "They send you off to college to try to gain
a little knowledge, but all you want to do is learn how to score."

New era.... Football + More dorms =????????????

RE: ODU Master Plan - Mr.BigBlue - 07-13-2014 07:30 PM

They have started....next to the student rec center. and the parking lot behind Scotland will be a dinning hall with dorms above it.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODUgradstudent - 07-13-2014 10:43 PM

(07-13-2014 07:22 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  
(07-13-2014 12:00 PM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  Maybe I'm missing something but I'm annoyed at the fact that we know that we will have to replace dorms to build the stadium, so why aren't we building dorms now? There are plenty of residential parts of the master plan, so we need to build some instead of the 'sexier' new academic buildings (or of course as well as).

psh!!!! Who needs academic buildings!?!?! We all know why we went to college for!!!! More dorms = more girls!!!

Jimmy Buffett quote "They send you off to college to try to gain
a little knowledge, but all you want to do is learn how to score."

New era.... Football + More dorms =????????????

Mock all you like, but along with academic research buildings that you can make a nice headline about, a university needs infrastructure. That means dorms, parking lots, transport connections, lighting and safety, undergraduate labs etc.. This stuff is boring and doesn't get the alums excited, but some of it is desperately needed at ODU.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 07-14-2014 06:57 AM

Speaking of, isn't ODU doing another lighting study soon? I thought I heard that.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Blue_Trombone - 07-14-2014 12:17 PM

(07-14-2014 06:57 AM)Cr8n Wrote:  Speaking of, isn't ODU doing another lighting study soon? I thought I heard that.

Really? ODU at night is basically daytime already. Don't know what else they can do. They light up campus 100x better than Norfolk does (just look at the difference on 41st street between the ODU side and the Norfolk side)

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 07-14-2014 12:45 PM

Maybe not, it might have been brought up in conversation about something else related and ODU's lighting analysis may have been used as an example. Too much input.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 07-21-2014 01:10 PM

https://www.odu.edu/announcements/student/2014/7/14/bal_parking_lot_lot_/_jcr_content/par/attachment/lot_30_parking_closure__pedestrian_detour.pdf

This is a good sign. Cant wait to see when its done

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 07-21-2014 02:49 PM

Another lot bites the dust. They're going to have to start allowing tailgating on the top levels of the garages, or simply on any green space on campus if this keeps up. Park in the garages, take a cooler and grill on wheels to the closest grass to the lot and set up your stuff. First come, first served like the Grove at Ole Miss. Parking on the fringe of campus and hauling everything to the mall, setting up, partying and then tearing down and hauling all the way back across campus is not feasible. Tailgating is crucial to the long term success of the program, and the public needs to be able to be a part of it. Much like VT, or ECU, find a spot and set up your stuff.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 84Monarch - 07-21-2014 03:29 PM

Enjoy the tailgating and parking spots while you can. Those spots that come with our Big Blue Club dues ( I know ODAF) will be paid spots inside of three years. Just like Tech. You have been warned.

RE: ODU Master Plan - MONARCHSWIN - 07-22-2014 05:41 AM

(07-21-2014 03:29 PM)84Monarch Wrote:  Enjoy the tailgating and parking spots while you can. Those spots that come with our Big Blue Club dues ( I know ODAF) will be paid spots inside of three years. Just like Tech. You have been warned.

They are essentially paid spots now, no?

RE: ODU Master Plan - Murray007 - 07-22-2014 08:10 AM

(07-21-2014 02:49 PM)monarx Wrote:  Another lot bites the dust. They're going to have to start allowing tailgating on the top levels of the garages, or simply on any green space on campus if this keeps up. Park in the garages, take a cooler and grill on wheels to the closest grass to the lot and set up your stuff. First come, first served like the Grove at Ole Miss.

I think this will be reality in due time. It's the only way to continue having the number of tailgate spots that were around when the football program started.

Perhaps any green space in the "box" created by Powhatan Avenue, Hampton Blvd, 43rd Street, and 49th Street will be free game at some point. Either that or allow tailgating in certain open places such as on Kaufman Mall, the Quad, in front of the new systems engineering building, and maybe by Whitehurst Hall.

Another option would be to allow tailgating on the golf course (anywhere but the greens, perhaps?) but I'm not sure if that could happen.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 84Monarch - 07-22-2014 09:36 AM

Monarchs, yes I think you can make that statement because I am sure they are factored into the Big Blue stuff. My point is that we will continue to pay those dues and pay an additional $100/$150 for the tailgate spots, so we will pay additional money at some point in the future. And stay tuned for the seat licensing fees when the new stadium comes on line. Athletics will not pass up the opportunity to gain more free money by using current industry tactics that they have been bonusing us because we are playing in an 80 year old stadium.

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue - 07-22-2014 10:40 AM

(07-22-2014 09:36 AM)84Monarch Wrote:  Monarchs, yes I think you can make that statement because I am sure they are factored into the Big Blue stuff. My point is that we will continue to pay those dues and pay an additional $100/$150 for the tailgate spots, so we will pay additional money at some point in the future. And stay tuned for the seat licensing fees when the new stadium comes on line. Athletics will not pass up the opportunity to gain more free money by using current industry tactics that they have been bonusing us because we are playing in an 80 year old stadium.

It seems like if seat licenses are something we will have to deal with there will be plenty of time for me to worry and complain about it then. If it does happen I will just have to be pragmatic and purchase what I can afford.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ASU-ODU9 - 07-22-2014 11:21 AM

(07-22-2014 08:10 AM)Murray007 Wrote:  
(07-21-2014 02:49 PM)monarx Wrote:  Another lot bites the dust. They're going to have to start allowing tailgating on the top levels of the garages, or simply on any green space on campus if this keeps up. Park in the garages, take a cooler and grill on wheels to the closest grass to the lot and set up your stuff. First come, first served like the Grove at Ole Miss.

I think this will be reality in due time. It's the only way to continue having the number of tailgate spots that were around when the football program started.

Perhaps any green space in the "box" created by Powhatan Avenue, Hampton Blvd, 43rd Street, and 49th Street will be free game at some point. Either that or allow tailgating in certain open places such as on Kaufman Mall, the Quad, in front of the new systems engineering building, and maybe by Whitehurst Hall.

Another option would be to allow tailgating on the golf course (anywhere but the greens, perhaps?) but I'm not sure if that could happen.

Tailgating & parking on the golf course seems like a good option. When we would travel to the Rose Bowl, many people park & tailgate everywhere but the green. The way the golf course is elevated and the projected spot of the stadium would be a great opportunity for scenic views of the stadium. Can't wait to see some renderings and options ODU is thinking of.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 84Monarch - 07-22-2014 12:00 PM

Painted,

I am with you on that one, but I just wanted to point out that other fees are headed our way at some point.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Blue_Trombone - 07-22-2014 12:29 PM

(07-22-2014 11:21 AM)ASU-ODU9 Wrote:  
(07-22-2014 08:10 AM)Murray007 Wrote:  

Tailgating & parking on the golf course seems like a good option. When we would travel to the Rose Bowl, many people park & tailgate everywhere but the green. The way the golf course is elevated and the projected spot of the stadium would be a great opportunity for scenic views of the stadium. Can't wait to see some renderings and options ODU is thinking of.

From the master plan, it looks like this is what they're planning.

[Image: D8veIAt.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - DaBigBlue - 07-22-2014 12:51 PM

Good find on the map. Lots of info there.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 07-22-2014 02:07 PM

Looks like they lose about 600 surface lots. Couldnt they close some of the cross streets on campus to allow for garage parkers availability to tailgate? Monarch Way and the road by the baseball field should be closed off to traffic and open for non-vehicle tailgating. Especially since Monarch Way is surrounded by garages.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Murray007 - 07-22-2014 11:52 PM

Awesome find BT! I still think opening the golf course for tailgating is a decent option especially with the boatgating becoming a reality. If the actual course isn't an option then maybe the driving range? I hope athletics will ask about this as the master plan comes into reality.

It's important to keep building the fanbase and having strong tailgating is one way to do that.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Murray007 - 07-22-2014 11:56 PM

(07-22-2014 11:21 AM)ASU-ODU9 Wrote:  Tailgating & parking on the golf course seems like a good option. When we would travel to the Rose Bowl, many people park & tailgate everywhere but the green. The way the golf course is elevated and the projected spot of the stadium would be a great opportunity for scenic views of the stadium. Can't wait to see some renderings and options ODU is thinking of.

Nice insight and experience! Appears that ODU could contact someone out in southern California for pointers and make this a reality. Only time will tell.