CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue - 04-07-2013 09:59 PM

(03-26-2013 10:13 AM)workingodu Wrote:  Its sad to say but fraim supports only vmi and odu expansion is low on his list. Yes he wore all vmi colors when we played them and didn't stand on odu sidelines at all during the game. He doesn't support this at all.

I must raise the BS flag on this. Paul Fraim is not only a VMI graduate, but was a co-captain of the Keydets football team. IMO it is quite understandable for him to be supporting VMI during that particular game. Paul Fraim actually shares a luxury suite at S.B. Ballard Stadium and is a huge supporter of ODU athletics.

In an earlier thread you stated that the City of Norfolk has done nothing to support ODU. That could not be further from the truth. The list of partnerships between Norfolk and ODU is far to long to list here but it includes the creation of University Village, Ted Constant Convocation Center, the ODU Innovation Research Park, and the ODU Rowing Center.

It is easy to post false and misleading statements about subjects you know little about and it is just as easy to do a quick internet search and find out the facts first.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 04-07-2013 10:23 PM

Every time this thread comes up as active, I get excited thinking the stadium expansion has been leaked. And every time, I'm left disappointed. I know I need to be patient but it's hard to wait on something as exciting as 10k+ more fans rooting on CBW and the Monarchs.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Razor Ramon Monarch - 04-07-2013 11:54 PM

(04-06-2013 08:16 PM)Monarchs Wrote:  Football - trending up, buy now.

Basketball - trending down, sell all shares.

Basketball isn't trending down.....it's crashed. Never sell at rock bottom!

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU2014OX - 05-02-2013 09:44 AM

Can we have something like Texas A&M is doing? Home of the 12th Monarchs! Maybe one S.B. Ballard will be half as big and nice as this :)
Seriously though, this should be one amazing stadium.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/5/1/4291104/texas-am-football-stadium-expansion-kyle-field

RE: ODU Master Plan - DaBigBlue - 05-02-2013 10:18 AM

WAVY has a video out with Bobby talking about stadium expansion. Someone on a computer can find it and post the link. He talkss about sooner than later, will be done right and done in stages.

@DougRipleyODU: #ODUFB: Bobby Wilder talks stadium expansion http://t.co/bqmrd7lmxX

RE: ODU Master Plan - TedHead - 05-02-2013 10:26 AM

(05-02-2013 10:18 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  WAVY has a video out with Bobby talking about stadium expansion. Someone on a computer can find it and post the link. He talkss about sooner than later, will be done right and done in stages.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/sports/bobby-wilder-talks-stadium-expansion

HERE IT IS.

RE: ODU Master Plan - workingodu - 05-02-2013 10:55 AM

As an active business in downtown I assure I see what is presented to the city revolving around odu. We would like more of a partnership with odu in downtown such as the pep rallies in towne pointe park. It has been suggested many times and plans brought to city council about that. We have asked point blank asked iere would be any type of event in town pointe park prior to the actual start date of fbs football in norfolk.

So please don't say I know nothing about norfolk. While opinions may be different they arre valid from a big business in downtown aspect. And for VMI Paul fraim could have shown his school colors and odu by splitting his time in half. Lots of other public figuures do that.

RE: ODU Master Plan - devyanks90 - 05-02-2013 11:14 AM

(05-02-2013 10:18 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  WAVY has a video out with Bobby talking about stadium expansion. Someone on a computer can find it and post the link. He talkss about sooner than later, will be done right and done in stages.

@DougRipleyODU: #ODUFB: Bobby Wilder talks stadium expansion http://t.co/bqmrd7lmxX

That video is from March...

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue - 05-02-2013 12:24 PM

(05-02-2013 10:26 AM)TedHead Wrote:  

HERE IT IS.

Thanks for posting this video. I remember when I first saw it and now upon reviewing it there was one major take-away I got. ODU is going to be very careful not to increase capacity too quickly, but will make sure that it can be added to in order to meet all future needs. This seems like a sound approach to me.

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue - 05-02-2013 12:25 PM

(05-02-2013 10:26 AM)TedHead Wrote:  

HERE IT IS.

Thanks for posting this video. I remember when I first saw it and now upon reviewing it there was one major take-away I got. ODU is going to be very careful not to increase capacity too quickly, but will make sue that it can be added to in order to meet all future needs. This seems like a sound approach to me.

RE: ODU Master Plan - TedHead - 05-02-2013 12:52 PM

(05-02-2013 09:44 AM)ODU2014OX Wrote:  Can we have something like Texas A&M is doing? Home of the 12th Monarchs! Maybe one S.B. Ballard will be half as big and nice as this :)
Seriously though, this should be one amazing stadium.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/5/1/4291104/texas-am-football-stadium-expansion-kyle-field

Kyle Field is amazing. That will be some show palace.

RE: ODU Master Plan - jumpshooter - 05-02-2013 01:28 PM

If you have $225 million, we can have something half as nice

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarch Maniac 10 - 05-02-2013 01:56 PM

(05-02-2013 01:28 PM)jumpshooter Wrote:  If you have $225 million, we can have something half as nice

I can't speculate intelligently enough to put even a ballpark number on this expansion. Renovating a stadium that is nearly 80 years old in Norfolk with almost no room to work with is very difficult.

RE: ODU Master Plan - AimHigher - 05-02-2013 03:02 PM

Who is the riches ODU alumnus? Verlander? maybe

RE: ODU Master Plan - Cyniclone - 05-02-2013 05:19 PM

If everyone involved is smart, they'll peg stadium expansion to parking additions. Richmond International Raceway has clearance from the county to go as high as 150,000, but they can only take incremental steps that go along with an equal expansion of on/near-site parking. Obviously with races no longer selling out, there's no rush to bump up capacity in the near future, but they've got the OK to do so when or if it becomes an option.

I wonder if they would have changed their rebuild/remodel plans significantly or scrapped them for a new stadium had they known from the get-go that they'd be in FBS shortly. I'm guessing they might have wanted, but couldn't have reasonably anticipated, transitioning into FBS in its fifth season.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 05-02-2013 09:50 PM

If SB Ballard is expanded to 35,000 Seats. What is your best speculation ......or if you have any inside information!

Has anyone heard any information about funding the stadium expansion?

I have no concept of what the University seems to be planning. There have been NO leaks at all. This makes me insecure about the overall plans and time table for the expansion.

Anyone have any thoughts on the following:

How much would / will it cost?

Where would the funds come from?

How long do you think it will take?

Will they have to have elevators for ADA compliance?

Will the press box on both sides more than likely be upgraded?

Will there be upgrades to restrooms?

I hope we don't let this stretch out for 4, 5 or 6 years. I think we would be leaving a lot of money on the table. I also feel it will devastate recruiting, and the fan support. Not to mention future SCHEDULING OF TOP FBS PROGRAMS.

OK ODU......I have faith!

Aim High

Go Monarchs

RE: ODU Master Plan - workingodu - 05-02-2013 10:06 PM

Doesn't odu have to be up to a certain capacity by a certain date for cusa? I thought we had to be up to 35) by 2016 for fbs standards?

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 05-02-2013 10:09 PM

(05-02-2013 10:06 PM)workingodu Wrote:  Doesn't odu have to be up to a certain capacity by a certain date for cusa? I thought we had to be up to 35) by 2016 for fbs standards?

We already meet FBS standards.
Quote:Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.3]

Source: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/Division%20I%20Forms/2010-11%20FBS%20Forms/Football%20Bowl%20Subqa%2012%208%2010.pdf

RE: ODU Master Plan - Oduniceguy - 05-03-2013 11:12 AM

(05-02-2013 03:02 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  Who is the riches ODU alumnus? Verlander? maybe

I'd say our richest alum would definitely be J. Douglas Perry, one of the founders of Dollar Tree Inc. The library is named after him and his wife.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Old Dominion - 05-03-2013 12:49 PM

Ah yes, that beautuful library!! A can't miss OT discussion.