CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue - 10-19-2013 07:52 AM

(10-19-2013 04:22 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(10-19-2013 03:47 AM)workingodu Wrote:  You know what I say about people who live around oceana and complain about jet noise....yeap don't lve around oceana. Same thing with larchmont.when you moved in odu was there. Move instead of complaining about progress.

Norfolk where the small minds get smaller while sad to say vcu basketball is welcomed in richmond and so is growth.

Why is it people around here hate progress so much? Odu football feeds tax dollars so we don't have to so much. And brings new economy and if all is done right wages will increase. Look cities with new programs and stadiums.

Walks away shaking head

yes indeed its really really sad that these people are complaining about traffic and noise for 6 or 7 days of a year. If they have to live in manhattan i wonder what they will complain about?

Working, I appreciate that you are a fellow ODU fan, however I am a life long resident of Norfolk and I do not appreciate your continual negative comments about my place of birth, it's residents, and the place I proudly call home.

Whenever a project of this magnitude is undertaken in an urban neighborhood setting many of the neighbors are going to have concerns, regardless of which city. I venture to say if you lived in Larchmont and were not an ODU football fan, or even if you were, that you might have similar concerns.

In New Orleans' Uptown neighborhood, where Tulane University is building 30, 000 seat Yulman Stadium neighbors had pre-construction concerns regarding noise and parking. Tulane is building a noise abatement wall on the side of the stadium by the neighborhood. Below is a video and article about neighborhood complaints that persist during construction.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Yulman-Stadium-on-fast-track-construction-a-nusance-for-neighbors-218040331.html

My point is that these types of projects always involve a complicated process. ODU is in the middle of the early stages of it's process. Maintaining good relationships with university neighbors is a major concern. Please have some patience during the process, and some empathy for the neighbors. ODU is a great University and will deliver a fantastic football stadium.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarch Blue - 10-19-2013 09:02 AM

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Yulman-Stadium-on-fast-track-construction-a-nusance-for-neighbors-218040331.html

[quote/] My point is that these types of projects always involve a complicated process. ODU is in the middle of the early stages of it's process. Maintaining good relationships with university neighbors is a major concern. Please have some patience during the process, and some empathy for the neighbors. ODU is a great University and will deliver a fantastic football stadium. [/quote]

I concur with the above, and certainly don't blame Larchmont residents for having concerns. I personally think it's a poor choice of location to build a stadium if the site limits future expansion to 35 K or less. I'd rather see the University take their time and find a spot that would better serve the long term needs of the program. Spending $100 million for an additional 8 thousand seats that will also alienate the local residents doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Take the time necessary to do it right. Decisions made now will have to be lived with for another fifty years.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 10-19-2013 09:45 AM

I agree with him on the Oceana issue though. The base was there long before the residence moved in.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 12thmonarch - 10-19-2013 10:24 AM

I would hate to see the stadium built at 30000. One thing good about this stadium construction is it wont be interrupting the normal traffic in hampton roads as they can ferry all the construction material next to the site but i guess the neighbors may have to live with the heavy equipment noise until the construction is complete and for 6 to 7 days every year there after. I don't see any site on campus that will not cause any inconvenience to neighbors at all the urban location has its cons as well and if we can make peaceful agreements with neighbors the better and quicker the construction will be completed. I wish they will do the right thing and cause only a minor or atleast bearable inconvenience to the neighbors.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchblue - 10-19-2013 10:25 AM

He is right in general. Every time somebody tries to do something big and forward looking in this area there is a bunch of whiney ass people that do everything they can to stop it led by their heroes over at the pilot. If they had their way on every decision I swear this area would look like Detroit right now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

RE: ODU Master Plan - CameramanJ - 10-19-2013 01:10 PM

Apparently Detroit is a verb now, as there are political ads claiming someone is going to "Detroit" Virginia. 03-lmfao Just an observation, don't even think about inciting any political talk.

Getting the building materials to the site via the river would be a good move, although I imagine they'd have to rough up that shore to get it done. Say goodbye pier and beach for a few years.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Razor Ramon Monarch - 10-19-2013 01:38 PM

(10-19-2013 10:25 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  He is right in general. Every time somebody tries to do something big and forward looking in this area there is a bunch of whiney ass people that do everything they can to stop it led by their heroes over at the pilot. If they had their way on every decision I swear this area would look like Detroit right now.

It's my biggest complaint about my home town.

The small mindedness and constant nitpicking and b.tching any time someone tries to dream big.

The destroyers sold out nearly every game the first year they were in the league. It wasn't until the league fell apart that attendance started to wain. That was in va beach and not even in a great location.

Odu has sold out every game and has a huge waiting list.

This area wants big time sports. It craves it. The admirals were selling out the scope when they were winning and then of course they switched the entire team.

Odu is a winner. The Ted sold out for big games when we were winning. Take advantage and go big!

40k minimum to start with the opportunity to go to 50+.

We can sell 30k just in season tickets alone. Throw in walk ups, casual fans, schools from cusa who will bring bigger fan bases and games at home against teams like va tech, nc state etc. and even 40k will seem like small thinking.

30k is a complete freaking waste of time and money but wood selig never seems to fail to disappoint.

RE: ODU Master Plan - nakas12 - 10-19-2013 01:53 PM

Powhatan has approximatley 250,000 square feet in space via google maps distance calculator. About 500ft width by 500ft length. This isn't exact by any means but if anybody wants to try to guess how big of a stadium can be made in that can try. I'm not sure how to.

I looked at Wake Forests Stadium which is 31K seats. It has around the same square footage area but only 2 large stands on either side of the field.
http://goo.gl/maps/l9GGq

If they take out the building in front of the field then 40-45K for them is possible. ODU could do a similar approach, since we have about the same amount of area. But I will say that there is no way I think there is any room to go up to 60K seats. Parts of Powhatan Avenue behind the stadium would have to be taken away since they want to keep Whitehurst and 46th street. The entrance to the new garage behind the student rec center would only be on 48th street then.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 12thmonarch - 10-19-2013 10:36 PM

Actually before they released the plan i thought they are gonna include powhattan ave and the adjacent place next to it and block the road there to make it a more wider space for a stadium.But well they've got a different plan but i don't know if that is going to be enough.

RE: ODU Master Plan - nakas12 - 10-20-2013 12:12 AM

I wouldn't go off the new campus map since Harnage has said that they are only doing preliminary design (marketing research) at the moment to find out how many seats will be needed in the beginning. The way the stadium is shown is not final at all.

If ODU does a diagonal stadium at Powhatan they will end up with around 300,000-400,000 square feet. That could give around maybe 50-60K seats.

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu83alumni - 10-20-2013 08:29 AM

(10-19-2013 01:38 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(10-19-2013 10:25 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  He is right in general. Every time somebody tries to do something big and forward looking in this area there is a bunch of whiney ass people that do everything they can to stop it led by their heroes over at the pilot. If they had their way on every decision I swear this area would look like Detroit right now.

It's my biggest complaint about my home town.

The small mindedness and constant nitpicking and b.tching any time someone tries to dream big.

The destroyers sold out nearly every game the first year they were in the league. It wasn't until the league fell apart that attendance started to wain. That was in va beach and not even in a great location.

Odu has sold out every game and has a huge waiting list.

This area wants big time sports. It craves it. The admirals were selling out the scope when they were winning and then of course they switched the entire team.

Odu is a winner. The Ted sold out for big games when we were winning. Take advantage and go big!

40k minimum to start with the opportunity to go to 50+.

We can sell 30k just in season tickets alone. Throw in walk ups, casual fans, schools from cusa who will bring bigger fan bases and games at home against teams like va tech, nc state etc. and even 40k will seem like small thinking.

30k is a complete freaking waste of time and money but wood selig never seems to fail to disappoint.

Yeah tree huggers of Norfolk, wake up ,ODU isn't playing intramurals anymore. This is a growing thriving university and a great asset to the community.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 12thmonarch - 10-20-2013 08:42 AM

Realistically the construction equipment noise is really a concern for the adjacent neighbors and theirs but if somebody else from down the road like 4 blocks is complaining then they are being stupid and we should tick them as naysayers and don't care.

[Image: neighborhood.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarch Blue - 10-20-2013 11:42 AM

Personally, I don't think they should give up on the Foreman Field location. Think about it. If you re-routed Bluestone Avenue down to the Catholic Center and ran it parallel to the field until it connected with Cedar Lane before doglegging to the right and connecting with Hampton Boulevard, you'd be able to enlarge the footprint to accommodate a replacement and huge expansion of the home side and end zone in one phase of construction. Might have to raze the ROTC building. The other clam shell could be left in tact for the visiting team and walk up tickets holders to be demolished and replaced with expanded seats as demand dictated. Eventually that might mean relocating the President's digs and part of Rollins Hall. But it would also allow for the retention of the present game day building. I think you could get 50K+ on that site easily with the re-routing of Bluestone. Might require the purchase of half a dozen homes which could be tricky, but from an engineering standpoint, I think it's is definitely do-able. I think they gave up on that site too soon.

Student housing could go elsewhere-- perhaps on the site they're considering presently for the new stadium

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu83alumni - 10-20-2013 11:49 AM

We simply need to get to 50,000, that should be the goal.

RE: ODU Master Plan - nakas12 - 10-20-2013 12:16 PM

ODU doesn't really care about Larchmont, they won't let one neighborhood stop them from making millions.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GO_MONARKS - 10-20-2013 12:45 PM

(10-20-2013 08:42 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  Realistically the construction equipment noise is really a concern for the adjacent neighbors and theirs but if somebody else from down the road like 4 blocks is complaining then they are being stupid and we should tick them as naysayers and don't care.

[Image: neighborhood.png]

Seems like who ever lives within this area are students / professors / or connected to ODU is some form or fashion.

If I lived near ODU, I would love the Game Day atmosphere. I did live there as an ODU student and loved the NSU games and Oyster Bowls, yet longing to have our own team...

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 10-20-2013 01:04 PM

(10-20-2013 11:49 AM)odu83alumni Wrote:  We simply need to get to 50,000, that should be the goal.

If 50K or more is not the goal.....We will never be able to compete for the recruits at a talent level that will move ODU to a national stage. Without a vision for "BIG TIME FOOTBALL at a "BIG TIME STADIUM " ODU will be hampered for our future OOC scheduling. A stadium that reflects our goal(s) will bring other Regional and National Football Programs to Norfolk. This alone will continue to move ODU forward for our long term goals. Wilder will not stay if ODU can not, or will not match his ambitions and vision. A vision he has embraced for this program.

ODU has to look to the future, beyond 7-10 years. A plan to move us into our football future in every capacity. I hope and pray they do not sell us short on just settling for 28K with NO chance to expand. If we are so short sighted not to see what this University and community desire and deserve........ I will be very disappointed.

If we are going to spend 100+ million on a new stadium.....We must Aim High.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 12thmonarch - 10-20-2013 01:27 PM

(10-20-2013 12:16 PM)nakas12 Wrote:  ODU doesn't really care about Larchmont, they won't let one neighborhood stop them from making millions.

I don't think that's how they plan to do it. The community meetings wouldn't have been scheduled if they are planning to go that way. They wan't the community not to be disappointed again after that stupid land grab that people are claiming we are behind the city during the process.But nonetheless we want to make sure that community is atleast not complaining if we wanted this construction to go peacefully.

RE: ODU Master Plan - nakas12 - 10-20-2013 04:14 PM

(10-20-2013 01:27 PM)12thmonarch Wrote:  
(10-20-2013 12:16 PM)nakas12 Wrote:  ODU doesn't really care about Larchmont, they won't let one neighborhood stop them from making millions.

I don't think that's how they plan to do it. The community meetings wouldn't have been scheduled if they are planning to go that way. They wan't the community not to be disappointed again after that stupid land grab that people are claiming we are behind the city during the process.But nonetheless we want to make sure that community is atleast not complaining if we wanted this construction to go peacefully.

I agree, but what I mean is that even if Larchmont doesn't agree with it, ODU will still I would assume go with building the new stadium. I'm sure they are trying to be as accomodating as possible to Larchmont, but at the end of they day, it's ODU's property. From what I've seen so far, Norfolk will probably will back them up on constructing this and most construction I've seen on campus usually goes on from 8-5pm weekdays so I don't see as many noise complaint about that. But night games could be a big problem especially if one day our stadium is 50K seats.

Maybe a way to help them would be free tickets to the games.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchblue - 10-20-2013 05:32 PM

If noise from the stadium is the primary concern it is ridiculous. We are talking about 24 hrs of stadium sound per year. They should get over themselves. Lets face it civic leagues exist to complain. They are made up of the neighborhoods biggest complainers, and rarely reflect the overall frame of mind of the entire community. Hear them out, try to win them over, then get on with building the best damn 30000 seat stadium in America. Then down the road when its time to expand to 50k just make it happen.