CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - EverRespect - 11-10-2012 08:35 AM

(11-09-2012 02:55 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  I wasn't living in the area when The Tide's route was originally approved. So, can someone explain to me why it isn't at ODU or NOB Norfolk already?

Simply put, the whole concept of the Tide was not to alleviate traffic or to serve the existing residents. Instead, the concept is a government kickback to developers. The reason the Tide doesn't go anywhere is because there are no opportunities for development and for contributors to make money along that route. I frankly doubt we ever se the Tide serve ODU. Certainly not before 2020.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODUi - 11-14-2012 11:53 AM

The Project Schedule has been added to the ODU Master Plan website:

November-Project kick-off
November-December - Data gathering and analysis
November-January - Precinct Plans: Stadium, Webb Center

January-February - Focus group sessions
January-June - Precinct Plan: University Village
March - Alternatives analysis
April-May - Master plan conceptual development
June - Issue Plan for review and comment
July - Issue final Campus Master Plan and Precinct Plans

RE: ODU Master Plan - UDO - 11-17-2012 10:40 PM

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/growing-odu-needs-expand-how

RE: ODU Master Plan - Old Dominion Navy - 11-18-2012 03:21 AM

(11-17-2012 10:40 PM)UDO Wrote:  http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/growing-odu-needs-expand-how

That's a good read, I'm glad we are taking the time to do proper research. I do agree with the part about building vertically, can you imagine a 17 story dorm.

RE: ODU Master Plan - SPACESCAPE - 11-18-2012 10:11 AM

I almost spit my sweet tea when I read someone's comment about expanding NSU's stadium and US sharing it with them! hahah~!

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarchman - 11-18-2012 10:19 AM

(11-18-2012 10:11 AM)SPACESCAPE Wrote:  I almost spit my sweet tea when I read someone's comment about expanding NSU's stadium and US sharing it with them! hahah~!

The Virginian Pilot comment sections gives the ESPN or Youtube comments a run for their money at times.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarchman - 11-18-2012 10:35 AM

I think we should build new, and go right to 40,000. That would put us right in line with the upper half of CUSA.

[Image: 970601.jpg]

RE: ODU Master Plan - CameramanJ - 11-18-2012 11:01 AM

I'm sure the master plan will have an ambitious strategy for the realization of the university's goals going forward. The anticipation is palpable. If they choose to start from scratch and build anew, I wonder if they'll go with an entirely new site or demo & rebuild the current site in phases. If it's a new site, it has to be close to the university (preferably on-campus) so it becomes an ingrained fixture in university life as well as the community.

RE: ODU Master Plan - SportsDoc757 - 11-18-2012 11:02 AM

(11-18-2012 10:19 AM)monarchman Wrote:  
(11-18-2012 10:11 AM)SPACESCAPE Wrote:  I almost spit my sweet tea when I read someone's comment about expanding NSU's stadium and US sharing it with them! hahah~!

The Virginian Pilot comment sections gives the ESPN or Youtube comments a run for their money at times.

Anytime I'm feeling down I just read the Pilot comments and it reminds me that at least I don't have it that bad.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bigblueodu - 11-18-2012 11:24 AM

Perfect site would be across the street at WHRO/School site....
I hope we go 40K with the foresight to be able to expand to 50-60.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarch Maniac 10 - 11-19-2012 10:38 AM

Just move the entire school to the burbs. Plenty of room.

/sarcasm

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU2014OX - 11-19-2012 02:57 PM

I agree. I believe that the site is okay. I think the best route is to tear down everything except the Ainsilie complex and its parking garage. If we could some how preserve part of the old brick clam-shell into a new stadium, that would be awesome. If that's not possible, perhaps the engineers can design a new stadium with a lot of brick, to keep some of that old time feel sort of like Camden Yards in Baltimore which is one of the best parks in MLB. One of the main problems to solve is going to be the parking and tailgating situation on campus. I trust these engineers will come up with something we can all enjoy and fall in love with, while still hopefully having the foresight to expand into the future.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 84Monarch - 11-19-2012 04:49 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen,

What about this scenario. Why not get rid on the golf course along the Elizabeth River and put a 40,000 seat stadium on that site? Boardwalk along the river, complete with dock slips. Norfolk is a water based town. Why not show that off? Foreman field in some form could be held onto as a place where Maury and Granby, plus intramurals and maybe another parking garage. After all they were both original users of Foreman Field. The 40,000 seat complex would be built with the ability to add on as demand dictates. For parking we will need to go to some form of off site parking like schools have that face parking difficulties use. Just a thought.

RE: ODU Master Plan - UDO - 11-19-2012 04:51 PM

Would there be any issues with the golf course site since it was built on a landfill?

RE: ODU Master Plan - 84Monarch - 11-19-2012 05:03 PM

No clue on that on as I am not an engineer, I just thought that would be a cool site. As a golfer who plays the course on occasion I have found the layout odd to say the least.

RE: ODU Master Plan - EverRespect - 11-19-2012 05:13 PM

I have a problem hooking the ball so most of my shots wind up in the Elizabeth River.... even when I hit the middle of the fairway, the ball is still going right to left and rolls right off the bank. Terrible setup for my game, but I do like the course. It has been several years since I have played it, but it was always in great shape and never too crowded after work. I could literally show up at 6 and walk the entire course in about 45 minutes. Just needed a full bucket of balls!

RE: ODU Master Plan - AimHigher - 11-19-2012 05:52 PM

Parking is really not as bad as yall make it out to be, I have only had trouble 3 times in 4 years. The first time was the Chowan game in year 1. The second time was something going on at the TED with ELMO and the third time was the last game we had this year and that was because of the basketball tournament at the TED and it being W&M. I use the parking garage near Macdonalds on 38th street and its about 30% full two hours before game time. I never have to wait to leave. Its an 8min walk to Foreman. ODU PD told me last game that there was no meter enforcement, I didnt believe him and took my chances between 48th and 49th st and there was a ton of parking there.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 11-19-2012 06:03 PM

I don't think the current situation is the concern. I am concerned about the parking when we add a possible 15k more people though.

RE: ODU Master Plan - N2theBlue - 11-19-2012 07:04 PM

Correct. Parking and tailgating areas would be the biggest concern with an expansion IMO. Tailgating over near the Elizabeth River with shuttle bus service would be pretty cool.

RE: ODU Master Plan - MONARCHSWIN - 11-19-2012 07:53 PM

(11-19-2012 07:04 PM)N2theBlue Wrote:  Correct. Parking and tailgating areas would be the biggest concern with an expansion IMO. Tailgating over near the Elizabeth River with shuttle bus service would be pretty cool.

I have a tailgate spot in the "white" lot this year and it is very nice being near the river. The walk to the stadium is a killer!