CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - EverRespect - 07-18-2013 03:10 PM

(07-18-2013 02:58 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  The only new site would be on the river or Larchmond school. I don't either is happening fast.

It won't be the Larchmont school. They'd have to either acquire land or tear stuff down. It will be difficult, but really no more difficult than expanding Foreman and contending with the clam shells. There is no way they can get to the number they want without doing this and then they'd have to upgrade everything to ADA code, which isn't going to be cheap with that relic. New site is the only option unless they can strike a deal with Norfolk State to play there for a season or two while Foreman is torn down and rebuilt... and I don't think that is a good situation for building this program.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODUR8R - 07-18-2013 03:30 PM

(07-18-2013 02:46 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  I heard it is a new site, though that site is being kept under wraps.

That settles it. Va Beach it is.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODUalum78 - 07-18-2013 03:42 PM

The Larchmont school site would be ideal.
If the Norfolk GIS information is correct, then acquiring the property might be easier than I thought, as it seems to be owned by the City and not the School Board.

Quote:Account Number 80342450
GPIN 1429519166
Parent Account
Owner Name City Of Norfolk
Property Address 1145 Bolling Av
Neighborhood 140490
Property Use Non-Taxable
Plate 0829
Mailing Address 810 Union St Norfolk VA 23510-2717
Legal Description 16.1602 Ac High & 7.77 Ac Low
Parcel Approximate Area (Sq Ft) 992288
Parcel Approximate Acreage 22.7798

House Plate Number 46

Heck, just the ball field and tennis courts area behind the school is larger than the current Ballard footprint; and yes that is part of the plat

Still, a replacement site would have to be found for LES.

RE: ODU Master Plan - EverRespect - 07-18-2013 03:49 PM

(07-18-2013 03:42 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  The Larchmont school site would be ideal.
If the Norfolk GIS information is correct, then acquiring the property might be easier than I thought, as it seems to be owned by the City and not the School Board.

Quote:Account Number 80342450
GPIN 1429519166
Parent Account
Owner Name City Of Norfolk
Property Address 1145 Bolling Av
Neighborhood 140490
Property Use Non-Taxable
Plate 0829
Mailing Address 810 Union St Norfolk VA 23510-2717
Legal Description 16.1602 Ac High & 7.77 Ac Low
Parcel Approximate Area (Sq Ft) 992288
Parcel Approximate Acreage 22.7798

House Plate Number 46

Heck, just the ball field and tennis courts area behind the school is larger than the current Ballard footprint.

Still, a replacement site would have to be found for LES.

Only 2 problems:

1. The neighbors will nix it
2. A new school needs to be built elsewhere.

I think the more likely scenario is ODU will be tearing down some older stuff to build the new stadium.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODUalum78 - 07-18-2013 04:14 PM

I agree.
I had initially completely disregarded the site because I had assumed that the School Board owned it and therefore it would be almost impossible to acquire the property.

Now I just think that the possibility is extremely remote, not almost impossible. 07-coffee3

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchy Anarchy - 07-18-2013 04:17 PM

I don't see them building a new stadium after the investments they already put into the Anslie complex, and it already sounds like BW and the coaches are hyping an expanded Foreman Field with recruits.

As it stands now, there appears to be enough room behind either clam shell to add additional structures to accommodate suites, press/coaches boxes, and additional seating. If the clamshells are not altered they wouldn't need to be upgraded to modern ADA standards. Add in an enclosed and expanded north endzone, and seating capacity would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 35k-40k when its finished.

Some Charlotte poster had some mock ups earlier in this thread that do a decent job of illustrating how it could be accomplished by cantilevering the new stands over the existing ones. A good architect could incorporate the claim shells into the new designs by using arches, brickwork, glass & steel to make something that looks both classic and modern.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarch Blue - 07-18-2013 04:19 PM

(07-18-2013 04:14 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  I agree.
I had initially completely disregarded the site because I had assumed that the School Board owned it and therefore it would be almost impossible to acquire the property.

Now I just think that the possibility is extremely remote, not almost impossible. 07-coffee3

My guess is we won't be seeing the stadium plan rollout until September or October. That will be after the eminent domain litigation with Central Radio will be wrapped up. If the court rules in favor of ODU, I think the stadium will be built in that big open lot where Central Radio still stands as one of the final holdouts.

I think that site would be big enough for any stadium the school plans on building now and into the future.

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODUalum78 - 07-18-2013 04:38 PM

(07-18-2013 04:19 PM)Monarch Blue Wrote:  

My guess is we won't be seeing the stadium plan rollout until September or October. That will be after the eminent domain litigation with Central Radio will be wrapped up. If the court rules in favor of ODU, I think the stadium will be built in that big open lot where Central Radio still stands as one of the final holdouts.

I think that site would be big enough for any stadium the school plans on building in now and into the future.

I must be missing something. That area is very small. IMO, to be large enough, the entire area from 38th to 41st (or at minimum to 40th), from Hampton Blvd to Killiam would have to be demolished, that would include demolishing the District.

Is that what you meant?

In order to keep the District, there is no contiguous free space in that area any larger than the current Ballard complex.

Re: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 07-18-2013 05:25 PM

I was told yesterday it was a done deal that a new elementary school was going in to the side the old one in that field. I'll try and find out how he knows this but he's friends with a lot of city managers and officials in norfolk.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarch Blue - 07-18-2013 05:28 PM

(07-18-2013 04:38 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(07-18-2013 04:19 PM)Monarch Blue Wrote:  

I think that site would be big enough for any stadium the school plans on building in now and into the future.

I must be missing something. That area is very small. IMO, to be large enough, the entire area from 38th to 41st (or at minimum to 40th), from Hampton Blvd to Killiam would have to be demolished, that would include demolishing the District.

Is that what you meant?

In order to keep the District, there is no contiguous free space in that area any larger than the current Ballard complex.

You may be right. I haven 't measured it, but it looks big enough to me. The eye can be deceiving, I admit.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 07-18-2013 05:57 PM

(07-18-2013 05:25 PM)Cr8n Wrote:  I was told yesterday it was a done deal that a new elementary school was going in to the side the old one in that field. I'll try and find out how he knows this but he's friends with a lot of city managers and officials in norfolk.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

So what does that mean? Is there room in the field for the stadium and the school? Personally, I think we rebuild on the existing site saving Ainsle Bldg and the field. I do,wish they would open up the field behind Larchmont Elem for tailgating. That seems like a no brainer, especially if the city owns it. They could charge 30 bucks a car and sell out every space for every game it doesn't rain.

RE: ODU Master Plan - AimHigher - 07-18-2013 06:14 PM

Guys guys guys!!! The new stadium is going to be in the old Atlantic City area of Norfolk next to EVMS and on the Elizabeth River (between Army Corp. and PETA). Light rail right outside that will extent to ODU campus. lol wishful thinking

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 07-18-2013 08:21 PM

ODU Master Plan (Athletic Facilities) Aim High a 10 year Vision for our Future

1). Starting in the Spring/ Summer of 2014 finalized plans for the new Basketball Practice facility to have a completion date scheduled for the fall of 2015.

2) A three phase development plan for the expansion of SB Ballad Stadium. (Phase I & II~2014 -2015 *conditioned on the financing / and design maybe 2015-2016. with a final Phase III~2019-2020)

Phase I - North End of SB Ballad (student section) and the North ends of both the east and west clamshell section to be completed into a horseshoe design that will be a seamless continuation of seating with tunnels under the design to accommodate a new visitors locker room, additional press rooms, restrooms and concession facilities. Phase I completed by the start of the 2014? or 2015* football season. At this time SB Ballad will have a capacity to hold 28,000 -30,000 fans.

Phase II will began at the conclusion of the 2014? 2015* season. The remaining construction, expansion to complete the horseshoe. The remaining clamshell to bridge the Ainslie building. All three sides to have a capacity of 40,000 fans with ADA requirements and new west side press box, along with a new parking garage. To be completed before the start of the 2015? or 2016* season.

Initial cost for Phase I & II an estimated $70 -90 million.

Phase III 2019 or 2010 expansion of SB Ballad will require a second level on both sides and have a stadium capacity of 55,000 - 60,000. This number will be strongly influenced by ticket sales from the demand from previous years.

Phase III an estimated $70 -100 million.

*conditioned on the financing / and the approved final design time limitations.

Just putting my 2 cent in the pot.[/align]

RE: ODU Master Plan - workingodu - 07-18-2013 08:49 PM

Why didn't we just start with the field on 43rd to begin with? Buy it make it the new stadium. Any other questions? I think they just didn't know how good we would be and how fast we would move up.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bigblueodu - 07-18-2013 09:21 PM

(07-18-2013 08:21 PM)ODU Oldtimer Wrote:  
ODU Master Plan (Athletic Facilities) Aim High a 10 year Vision for our Future

1). Starting in the Spring/ Summer of 2014 finalized plans for the new Basketball Practice facility to have a completion date scheduled for the fall of 2015.

2) A three phase development plan for the expansion of SB Ballad Stadium. (Phase I & II~2014 -2015 *conditioned on the financing / and design maybe 2015-2016. with a final Phase III~2019-2020)

Phase I - North End of SB Ballad (student section) and the North ends of both the east and west clamshell section to be completed into a horseshoe design that will be a seamless continuation of seating with tunnels under the design to accommodate a new visitors locker room, additional press rooms, restrooms and concession facilities. Phase I completed by the start of the 2014? or 2015* football season. At this time SB Ballad will have a capacity to hold 28,000 -30,000 fans.

Phase II will began at the conclusion of the 2014? 2015* season. The remaining construction, expansion to complete the horseshoe. The remaining clamshell to bridge the Ainslie building. All three sides to have a capacity of 40,000 fans with ADA requirements and new west side press box, along with a new parking garage. To be completed before the start of the 2015? or 2016* season.

Initial cost for Phase I & II an estimated $70 -90 million.

Phase III 2019 or 2010 expansion of SB Ballad will require a second level on both sides and have a stadium capacity of 55,000 - 60,000. This number will be strongly influenced by ticket sales from the demand from previous years.

Phase III an estimated $70 -100 million.

*conditioned on the financing / and the approved final design time limitations.

Just putting my 2 cent in the pot.[/align]

Is this inside information..... or are you just pulling this from your... dreams?

RE: ODU Master Plan - vbundy - 07-18-2013 09:31 PM

What a waiste if they keep the old clamshell. The front row needs to be higher and closer to the field. Way it's set up now looks like a high school stadium.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Niner National - 07-18-2013 09:49 PM

I'd love to see ODU keep the clamshells.

I like Northwestern's stadium a lot and would love to see ODU's model itself after it.

[Image: ryan-big.jpg]

Very unique look.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bigblueodu - 07-19-2013 12:49 AM

(07-18-2013 09:49 PM)Niner National Wrote:  I'd love to see ODU keep the clamshells.

I like Northwestern's stadium a lot and would love to see ODU's model itself after it.

[Image: ryan-big.jpg]

Very unique look.

Except if you are in the endzone seats and need a Sherpa to get to your seats, and binoculars to the locate the uprights... on your side of the field.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Fatalisk - 07-19-2013 02:08 AM

Clam fails must go!

RE: ODU Master Plan - DaBigBlue - 07-19-2013 07:38 AM

We have a space problem and clamshells don't maximize the space. They will need to go.