CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 11-16-2018 12:54 PM

(11-16-2018 12:49 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 12:45 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 12:30 PM)odu09 Wrote:  Wouldn't dropping from 3-4 lanes down to 2 increase traffic? The trucks still have to go that way regardless of the number of lanes. I would like change too but I don't think removing lanes makes ODU nicer. Getting in and out of football and basketball games would be remarkably worse.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Its really not that hard to leave or get to an ODU football game. If that change happened I doubt it affects that much.

What about all the trucks that use Hampton Blvd? Are they going to route all trucks from the docks down Terminal Blvd?\ to the highway rather than using the mid-town tunnel? That would be ideal!

That's the goal here. That's why Courtney is leading off with so many requests/options for change. She knows most of them will get rejected but when she comes back with the real request, it will come off as a compromise and likely get accepted.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 11-16-2018 12:58 PM

By the way, that accident was so gnarly, Norfolk police devoted all of that district's traffic cops to Hampton Blvd. And did so for months. We were trying to get a cop to sit on Granby at the Riverview bridge occasionally to try and slow down speeders through the Riverview section of Granby. Couldn't get one for months during rush hour.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 11-16-2018 07:30 PM

(11-16-2018 12:49 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 12:45 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(11-16-2018 12:30 PM)odu09 Wrote:  Wouldn't dropping from 3-4 lanes down to 2 increase traffic? The trucks still have to go that way regardless of the number of lanes. I would like change too but I don't think removing lanes makes ODU nicer. Getting in and out of football and basketball games would be remarkably worse.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Its really not that hard to leave or get to an ODU football game. If that change happened I doubt it affects that much.

What about all the trucks that use Hampton Blvd? Are they going to route all trucks from the docks down Terminal Blvd?\ to the highway rather than using the mid-town tunnel? That would be ideal!

yes
http://www.i564intermodal.com/
http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/hampton%20roads/default.asp

[Image: I_564-Intermodal-Map.jpg]

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 12-07-2018 12:50 PM

https://www.odu.edu/content/dam/odu/offices/bov/meetings/2018-2019/2018-12-06/administration-finance-agenda-12-6-18.pdf

Scroll to the bottom of this link to see the progress report for each capital project

RE: ODU Master Plan - bigblueodu - 12-07-2018 02:08 PM

Maybe they have decided putting two big ass light poles would hinder the ingress and egress of construction trucks and equipment and will put the poles up when most of the stadium on that side is built.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 12-07-2018 03:49 PM

(12-07-2018 02:08 PM)bigblueodu Wrote:  Maybe they have decided putting two big ass light poles would hinder the ingress and egress of construction trucks and equipment and will put the poles up when most of the stadium on that side is built.
That's one of the reasons i assumed.

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 12-09-2018 12:12 PM

Fundraising has started towards the on campus maker space.

https://www.odu.edu/content/dam/odu/col-dept/eng/docs/illuminator-vol-2-4.pdf
[Image: 2r7mx3m.png]

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 12-09-2018 01:06 PM

Dr Adams was at our firm the other day showing the future space and it's pretty darn impressive. I believe they've consulted Georgia Tech on theirs as it's kind of the model for all to aspire.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 12-09-2018 02:10 PM

(12-09-2018 01:06 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  Dr Adams was at our firm the other day showing the future space and it's pretty darn impressive. I believe they've consulted Georgia Tech on theirs as it's kind of the model for all to aspire.

I've arranged for her to come visit my employer next week. I hope my plant Director is as impressed with Dean Adams as I am.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 12-09-2018 03:03 PM

She's awesome. She was at VT for like 8nyears and went on and on how much better odu is. :)

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 12-09-2018 05:59 PM

(12-09-2018 03:03 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  She's awesome. She was at VT for like 8nyears and went on and on how much better odu is. :)

I met her shortly after she first arrived. I've seen a HUGE change over the last two years. Went to campus last week and there are more improvements. New classes, better marketing more resources. She is accelerating the positives every day. Future students are in good hands with her at the helm.

RE: ODU Master Plan - bit_9 - 12-09-2018 08:11 PM

(12-09-2018 05:59 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(12-09-2018 03:03 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  She's awesome. She was at VT for like 8nyears and went on and on how much better odu is. :)

I met her shortly after she first arrived. I've seen a HUGE change over the last two years. Went to campus last week and there are more improvements. New classes, better marketing more resources. She is accelerating the positives every day. Future students are in good hands with her at the helm.

04-cheers

She brought her entire marketing team with her to our place and was doing interviews with Engineering alumn. It got me wondering if the Strome school was doing anything like it.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 12-11-2018 09:08 PM

Reaver Beach is in advanced negotiations with the owner of the old Milan Station Post Office on Colley to make a sattelite location.

The landlord has a choice to make between letting the USPS come back or moving forward with Reaver. From what I have gathered, I expect them to select the brewery. If it happens, it will open around next football season.

This would be another great addition to North Colley, which is close to officially being named the North Colley Business District

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 12-11-2018 09:13 PM

(12-11-2018 09:08 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Reaver Beach is in advanced negotiations with the owner of the old Milan Station Post Office on Colley to make a sattelite location.

The landlord has a choice to make between letting the USPS come back or moving forward with Reaver. From what I have gathered, I expect them to select the brewery. If it happens, it will open around next football season.

This would be another great addition to North Colley, which is close to officially being named the North Colley Business District

I wish they’d call it the “university district” instead. Would be better for the area and the school.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 12-11-2018 09:20 PM

(12-11-2018 09:13 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(12-11-2018 09:08 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Reaver Beach is in advanced negotiations with the owner of the old Milan Station Post Office on Colley to make a sattelite location.

I wish they’d call it the “university district” instead. Would be better for the area and the school.

The university isn't involved in starting it at all. It's all happening because of the North Colley businesses.

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 12-12-2018 10:03 AM

This would actually be really cool, an old post office being turned into a brewery. Do you think they'd use the current structure as is or tear it down and rebuild on that site?

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 12-12-2018 10:06 AM

(12-12-2018 10:03 AM)MonGNARch Wrote:  

This would actually be really cool, an old post office being turned into a brewery. Do you think they'd use the current structure as is or tear it down and rebuild on that site?

They'll be renovating the current structure, as well as doing a lot of work to the parking lot and landscaping.

It'll be the second brewery on North Colley. Elation opens up in January in the building between UPie and 7/11 that used to be a church.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 12-12-2018 10:47 AM

The more businesses that get started on North Colley. The better for ODU.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 12-12-2018 04:22 PM

Area news

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 12-12-2018 06:30 PM

(12-11-2018 09:20 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(12-11-2018 09:13 PM)monarx Wrote:  

The university isn't involved in starting it at all. It's all happening because of the North Colley businesses.

I know that, but would it be thriving without ODU's proximity? Every good college area has a nice strip of shopping, restaurants, bars that are university centric. Id love to see every place in North Colley have ODU banners, menu items named after Monarchs or Big Blue etc. Take pride in being part of the university community kind of like the Fan in Richmond, or downtown Greenville NC. or Hillsborough Street by UNC, or Main street by U of Delaware. Surely a huge part of their customer bases are students, faculty, staff, alumni and parents.