CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - 12thmonarch - 08-13-2018 09:26 AM

(08-13-2018 09:00 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  https://www.odu.edu/news/2018/8/barry_art_museum_ope#.W3GOa8PwZ7g

"Old Dominion University will welcome the community to its new Barry Art Museum on Wednesday, Nov. 14.

The University will host a lunchtime reception for faculty and staff from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

A public open house is planned from 4 to 7 p.m."

"The two-story museum's first exhibition will feature the art given by the Barrys.

Their collection reflects three main areas: international glass sculpture, 20th-century American modernist paintings, historic fashion dolls and European automata.

In addition to art donated by the Barrys, the museum will feature a few works by current and former ODU faculty including A.B. Jackson, Charles Sibley and Fay Zetlin, and gifts by local donors. A gallery space is dedicated to educational activities for children and young adults developed by the ODU's Center for Educational Partnerships."

I'm excited to see it! Anybody else plan on heading out on opening day?

Nice!!!

RE: ODU Master Plan - ODU Oldtimer - 08-13-2018 05:09 PM

(08-13-2018 09:00 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  https://www.odu.edu/news/2018/8/barry_art_museum_ope#.W3GOa8PwZ7g

"Old Dominion University will welcome the community to its new Barry Art Museum on Wednesday, Nov. 14.

The University will host a lunchtime reception for faculty and staff from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

A public open house is planned from 4 to 7 p.m."

"The two-story museum's first exhibition will feature the art given by the Barrys.

Their collection reflects three main areas: international glass sculpture, 20th-century American modernist paintings, historic fashion dolls and European automata.

In addition to art donated by the Barrys, the museum will feature a few works by current and former ODU faculty including A.B. Jackson, Charles Sibley and Fay Zetlin, and gifts by local donors. A gallery space is dedicated to educational activities for children and young adults developed by the ODU's Center for Educational Partnerships."

I'm excited to see it! Anybody else plan on heading out on opening day?

Very nice and excited for ODU and the community. If the lord be willing I will plan to be there. My assumption for the selection of the the Wed November 14 date as the Premier Opening Gala was, ODU has a Sat home football game with North Texas on Nov 10, and follows it up the next Sat with a home game against VMI, Nov 17. The Wed Nov 14 date seems to be clear of any conflicts with every fall sport, Men's & Women's Basketball, Hockey, Men's and Women's Soccer, Wrestling and even Swimming & Diving. that is not an easy task to have a free night in the world of College fall Athletics.

The 24,000-square-foot, two-story building, when built will have room for expansion in the future. It will provide galleries for permanent collections, as well as a large changing galleries for faculty and traveling exhibitions. Upon its opening it will elevate ODU's rich array of artistic contributions for the Hampton Roads area and become a cultural institutional achievement along with the likes of such iconic Hampton Roads Museums as the Chrysler Museum of Art, the Hermitage Museum and Gardens and the Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art.

Broderick expects that, in the future, alumni and friends of ODU will donate works from their own holdings. Like the Muscarelle Museum of Art at the College of William and Mary and the Fralin Museum of Art at the University of Virginia, ODU's new art museum will become a destination for alumni, the community at large and visitors to the area.

I'm sure this will be an exciting night for all that have made this possible.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 08-14-2018 10:32 AM

GhentFan when can you get more shots of campus, I wont be back til the FIU game.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 08-14-2018 10:53 AM

I played Lambert's Point this weekend. On my way to the course, I noticed the trailers behind Dominion House on 49th were in the middle of being demolished.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 08-14-2018 11:25 AM

(08-14-2018 10:32 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  GhentFan when can you get more shots of campus, I wont be back til the FIU game.

I plan to go campus later this week to show some of my professors and the deans my offer letter. Anything specific you want me to take pictures of?

I start my new job Monday, after that I wont be going to campus as much. Still haven't bought football tickets, was looking for jobs out of area. I'm sticking around here for now though. Hope to post pics of stadium start to finish.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 08-14-2018 11:30 AM

(08-14-2018 10:53 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  I played Lambert's Point this weekend. On my way to the course, I noticed the trailers behind Dominion House on 49th were in the middle of being demolished.

Thank the good lord! Those were by far the biggest eye sores of our campus. Glad there will be a nice new dorm there soon.

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonarchManiac - 08-14-2018 12:16 PM

(08-14-2018 11:25 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 10:32 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  GhentFan when can you get more shots of campus, I wont be back til the FIU game.

I plan to go campus later this week to show some of my professors and the deans my offer letter. Anything specific you want me to take pictures of?

I start my new job Monday, after that I wont be going to campus as much. Still haven't bought football tickets, was looking for jobs out of area. I'm sticking around here for now though. Hope to post pics of stadium start to finish.

Congrats on the gig GhentFan. Hope you enjoy whatever the new role is.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 08-14-2018 02:07 PM

(08-14-2018 12:16 PM)MonarchManiac Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 11:25 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  

Congrats on the gig GhentFan. Hope you enjoy whatever the new role is.

Thanks.
Engineering Manager. The ENMA minor paid off very well. :-)

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 08-14-2018 02:16 PM

Just a heads up, the HRBT expansion is moving closer and closer. They're having a public meeting in Norfolk tomorrow to discuss the project. Bid is to be awarded in early 2019. Exciting stuff, especially with the coupled I-64 expansion. Should make getting to ODU much easier.

RE: ODU Master Plan - imfsff3 - 08-14-2018 02:33 PM

(08-14-2018 02:16 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Just a heads up, the HRBT expansion is moving closer and closer. They're having a public meeting in Norfolk tomorrow to discuss the project. Bid is to be awarded in early 2019. Exciting stuff, especially with the coupled I-64 expansion. Should make getting to ODU much easier.

Think 2 or 3 times.....
Maybe easier to get from the Peninsula to Norfolk, but the new tolls will simply kill businesses that draw from across the water in either direction. The most glaring example is the tolls on the Norfolk/Portsmouth tunnels. Multiple businesses have had to close because people have options (maybe not good ones) on whichever side of the river they live. Think back to when the tolls were on the HRBT. Very few people from Norfolk/VA Beach went to the Peninsula to shop or dine. Now people flow freely, albeit with some traffic issues. More tolls will only isolate the cities more and strangle smaller businesses. As a small business owner in Portsmouth, I can absolutely see a decline in customer traffic from Norfolk compared to pre-tolls. Think twice, maybe 3 times about what you wish for!

RE: ODU Master Plan - Blue_Trombone - 08-14-2018 02:50 PM

(08-14-2018 02:33 PM)imfsff3 Wrote:  
(08-14-2018 02:16 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Just a heads up, the HRBT expansion is moving closer and closer. They're having a public meeting in Norfolk tomorrow to discuss the project. Bid is to be awarded in early 2019. Exciting stuff, especially with the coupled I-64 expansion. Should make getting to ODU much easier.

Think 2 or 3 times.....
Maybe easier to get from the Peninsula to Norfolk, but the new tolls will simply kill businesses that draw from across the water in either direction. The most glaring example is the tolls on the Norfolk/Portsmouth tunnels. Multiple businesses have had to close because people have options (maybe not good ones) on whichever side of the river they live. Think back to when the tolls were on the HRBT. Very few people from Norfolk/VA Beach went to the Peninsula to shop or dine. Now people flow freely, albeit with some traffic issues. More tolls will only isolate the cities more and strangle smaller businesses. As a small business owner in Portsmouth, I can absolutely see a decline in customer traffic from Norfolk compared to pre-tolls. Think twice, maybe 3 times about what you wish for!

As far as I know, The expansion will retain 2 free lanes going each direction. The new tunnel will be a tolled HOV lane.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/transportation/article_7fcaa2a6-5a19-11e8-9eff-ab11613e206d.html
Quote:The bridge-tunnel will keep two free lanes and add one permanent High Occupancy Toll lane and a HOT lane shoulder that can be used during peak congestion.

ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 08-18-2018 12:46 PM

Just got done rolling through campus and took some pictures. I'll be posting them a bit later today

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 08-18-2018 05:07 PM

Fastest way to see all of the images is through this link: https://imgur.com/a/0vuTzqi

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 08-18-2018 05:17 PM

One of my favorite new buildings, took the place of the library parking lot

[Image: 7yFdcYI.jpg]

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 08-18-2018 05:19 PM

New art museum looks done from the outside

[Image: bxPYzvZ.jpg]

[Image: KyCDSYu.jpg]

[Image: fLFXN6C.jpg]

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 08-18-2018 05:25 PM

If anyone has any requests for buildings in particular let me know. I live pretty close and could get some more tomorrow. Those were the newer ones that stood out to me. Also someone confirm that the link to the imgur album worked? It's hard to tell from my end. Otherwise I'll just manually post them on here

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 08-18-2018 05:56 PM

(08-18-2018 05:25 PM)odu09 Wrote:  If anyone has any requests for buildings in particular let me know. I live pretty close and could get some more tomorrow. Those were the newer ones that stood out to me. Also someone confirm that the link to the imgur album worked? It's hard to tell from my end. Otherwise I'll just manually post them on here

The link works. Some good shots in there.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 12thmonarch - 08-18-2018 06:04 PM

(08-18-2018 05:25 PM)odu09 Wrote:  If anyone has any requests for buildings in particular let me know. I live pretty close and could get some more tomorrow. Those were the newer ones that stood out to me. Also someone confirm that the link to the imgur album worked? It's hard to tell from my end. Otherwise I'll just manually post them on here

Thank you so much. I have seen the open air theater before but didn't know we have a new building for theater as well. Looks nice. One quick thought about the museum, i like the design on the side that faces Hampton Blvd but the other two longer sides look too bare and like the sides of a ware house. May be they will add something to them to make it look better. All the pictures look great and thank you for all the photos.

RE: ODU Master Plan - 84Monarch - 08-18-2018 06:53 PM

(08-18-2018 05:19 PM)odu09 Wrote:  New art museum looks done from the outside

[Image: bxPYzvZ.jpg]

[Image: KyCDSYu.jpg]

[Image: fLFXN6C.jpg]

Cool 24 hour art gallery. I hope they do take out.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 08-18-2018 07:21 PM

Same here, live very close to school. Cmett asked for pics but never responded with what he wanted.