CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 01-23-2018 12:03 PM

That looks great. Cant wait for first pitch.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Mr.BigBlue - 01-23-2018 12:22 PM

VCU has State approval for and is building a $92M Engineering school expansion to house more Research labs and faculty for their growing Engineering School. They were allowed to start an Engineering School and now they are killing us at the State level and in Research funding. Also, CNU is now starting an Engineering School. So what is ODU doing to grow new Colleges or to dramatically improve the academic profile of our existing colleges/University ? NOTHING ! We need to start a Med school or Dentistry school immediately.

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue2 - 01-23-2018 12:32 PM

(01-23-2018 12:22 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  VCU has State approval for and is building a $92M Engineering school expansion to house more Research labs and faculty for their growing Engineering School. They were allowed to start an Engineering School and now they are killing us at the State level and in Research funding. Also, CNU is now starting an Engineering School. So what is ODU doing to grow new Colleges or to dramatically improve the academic profile of our existing colleges/University ? NOTHING ! We need to start a Med school or Dentistry school immediately.

ODU would never be allowed to start a new medical school as EVMS is located about 3 miles down the road. It would be considered a redundant waste of money, and EVMS would lobby against it if it ever got far enough into discussions.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 01-23-2018 12:49 PM

(01-23-2018 12:32 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 12:22 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  VCU has State approval for and is building a $92M Engineering school expansion to house more Research labs and faculty for their growing Engineering School. They were allowed to start an Engineering School and now they are killing us at the State level and in Research funding. Also, CNU is now starting an Engineering School. So what is ODU doing to grow new Colleges or to dramatically improve the academic profile of our existing colleges/University ? NOTHING ! We need to start a Med school or Dentistry school immediately.

ODU would never be allowed to start a new medical school as EVMS is located about 3 miles down the road. It would be considered a redundant waste of money, and EVMS would lobby against it if it ever got far enough into discussions.

First, I think one day it will be the Old Dominion Medical School (ODMS). Second if you think VCU has a good engineering school you are wrong. They dont even have an accredited Civil Engineering program.

http://bulletin.vcu.edu/undergraduate/engineering/accreditation/

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 01-23-2018 01:46 PM

(01-23-2018 12:49 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  

First, I think one day it will be the Old Dominion Medical School (ODMS). Second if you think VCU has a good engineering school you are wrong. They dont even have an accredited Civil Engineering program.

Links for ODU

https://www.odu.edu/eng/academics/abet

RE: ODU Master Plan - Mr.BigBlue - 01-23-2018 06:34 PM

Then we should be allowed to merge and ultimately take it over with help from the state. State allowed CNU to start and engineering school that is within 20 miles of ODU. Did the state need another engineering school when they allowed VCU to start one ? We are not being aggressive enough.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Mr.BigBlue - 01-23-2018 06:36 PM

(01-23-2018 01:46 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 12:49 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  

Links for ODU

https://www.odu.edu/eng/academics/abet

They have a fantastic Chemical Engineering, biomedical, and mechanical engineering programs. In many cases they have exceeded ours in academic profile and in research funding.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 01-23-2018 06:47 PM

Our admin has no clout. I hear the state basically wants to close NSU and have ODU fill the void left behind. CNU has become what ODU was becoming only smaller, and VCU has replicated enough of our programs to hurt us since they draw from the same region and demographic. On the surface, what I was told about ODU becoming the new & improved NSU seems to have legs. Far cry from what they said on my campus visit, which was ODU aspired to be the eastern equivalent to VT. Dr Koch certainly had high academic aspirations for ODU at least.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Mr.BigBlue - 01-23-2018 06:54 PM

(01-23-2018 06:47 PM)monarx Wrote:  Our admin has no clout. I hear the state basically wants to close NSU and have ODU fill the void left behind. CNU has become what ODU was becoming only smaller, and VCU has replicated enough of our programs to hurt us since they draw from the same region and demographic. On the surface, what I was told about ODU becoming the new & improved NSU seems to have legs. Far cry from what they said on my campus visit, which was ODU aspired to be the eastern equivalent to VT. Dr Koch certainly had high academic aspirations for ODU at least.

You are probably right on point. Shameful that our administration is so weak even with a liberal Governor.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarch Blue - 01-23-2018 08:42 PM

(01-23-2018 06:34 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  

Then we should be allowed to merge and ultimately take it over with help from the state. State allowed CNU to start and engineering school that is within 20 miles of ODU. Did the state need another engineering school when they allowed VCU to start one ? We are not being aggressive enough.

Broderick is not a visionary. Nothing big will happen at ODU until he's gone.

RE: ODU Master Plan - Retroview1955 - 01-23-2018 09:02 PM

(01-23-2018 10:19 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 01:21 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  I talked to a student today that has seen the/an updated master plan.

1) The Webb is being done piece meal. University was unable to get the money for a new building. Right now the South is going to get the refresh. What was to be the footprint for the new chem building turns into this:

[Image: 34y47fd.png]

2) The plan that he saw said the the new chem building was going to go between the Eng Sys building and the Library. Additionally the Child Care Center and the associated parking lot were coming down to make room for another building. I think he said a health science building.

3) Monorail support will be converted into a bridge to cross Hampton Blvd.

Words of caution:
This presentation was during the summer.

We know that the chem building has it's new location by the baseball stadium.. at least as of this summer. Additionally health science buildings are going to VA Beach per the State of the University address. Perhaps there will be another Health Science building in Norfolk?

He only managed to get the 1 picture and he said he will try and get the power point. We'll see.

Seems like the school is still figuring stuff out, or he was mistaken with the chem building. He was adamant that it he was correct though.

Construction inside the Webb is still going on.

[Image: 2dh5xyv.png]
[Image: 15mbpzp.png]

No other updates that I know of for the other projects.

Barry Arts museum is coming along nicely though.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/OldDominionUniv/BarryArtMuseum

[Image: 5jy2qc.png]

Why do we have so many art museums?

RE: ODU Master Plan - paintedblue2 - 01-23-2018 09:29 PM

(01-23-2018 09:02 PM)Retroview1955 Wrote:  
(01-23-2018 10:19 AM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 01:21 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  I talked to a student today that has seen the/an updated master plan.

1) The Webb is being done piece meal. University was unable to get the money for a new building. Right now the South is going to get the refresh. What was to be the footprint for the new chem building turns into this:

[Image: 34y47fd.png]

2) The plan that he saw said the the new chem building was going to go between the Eng Sys building and the Library. Additionally the Child Care Center and the associated parking lot were coming down to make room for another building. I think he said a health science building.

3) Monorail support will be converted into a bridge to cross Hampton Blvd.

Words of caution:
This presentation was during the summer.

We know that the chem building has it's new location by the baseball stadium.. at least as of this summer. Additionally health science buildings are going to VA Beach per the State of the University address. Perhaps there will be another Health Science building in Norfolk?

He only managed to get the 1 picture and he said he will try and get the power point. We'll see.

Seems like the school is still figuring stuff out, or he was mistaken with the chem building. He was adamant that it he was correct though.

Construction inside the Webb is still going on.

[Image: 2dh5xyv.png]
[Image: 15mbpzp.png]

No other updates that I know of for the other projects.

Barry Arts museum is coming along nicely though.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/OldDominionUniv/BarryArtMuseum

[Image: 5jy2qc.png]

There are only two on campus that I can think of, and I believe both of them were gifted.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 01-23-2018 09:59 PM

(01-23-2018 09:02 PM)Retroview1955 Wrote:  .........

We don't. The "museums".. or rather art related buildings have come about largely via donations from people who want to support arts. Underlined text are some links.

Barry and Gordon Art Gallery:
"About the Baron and Ellin Gordon Art Galleries
The Baron and Ellin Gordon Art Galleries exhibit works by nationally and internationally recognized self-taught artists, contemporary artists working in all media, and local and regional artists connected with Old Dominion University. Free and open to the public, with parking in the 45th Street garage. Hours: Tuesday - Saturday, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Sunday, 1 p.m. - 5 p.m."

One side of this building can be thought of as a museum I suppose. The other side is used to display art on a more frequent rotation from many artists. The ODU arts department also uses this for students to showcase their final projects and portfolio works.

Barry Art Museum
$35 Million gift. Museum in the pure sense

Barry Arts building:
Educational space (class rooms, labs etc...)

James A Hixion Art Studio and Annex
Educational space (class rooms, labs etc...), pretty much an annex / extension of the Barry Arts building.

Arts Building - Ceramics and Sculpture
Educational space (class rooms, labs etc...)

Diehn Center for Performing Arts

Music

Strome Entrepreneurial Center and Arts building
Formally only arts, a bunch of stuff has been moved to other buildings to make way for the entrepreneurial stuff. This building is also slated for replacement per the master plan.

Goode Theater
Plays

Stables Theatre
Costume Shop and design classroom

University Theatre
Performance and practice area

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 01-24-2018 03:16 PM

Are they temporarily renovating Webb and then coming back with a new building down the road or are they just renovating it. The pictures from this firm would tell me that they are planning to tear down webb because these models incorperate the master plan as well as the design of the new dining hall which is not very old at all. I hope they build this new Webb Center. It is very needed.

http://www.kmca.com/latest-projects.html

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 01-24-2018 05:23 PM

(01-24-2018 03:16 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Are they temporarily renovating Webb and then coming back with a new building down the road or are they just renovating it. The pictures from this firm would tell me that they are planning to tear down webb because these models incorperate the master plan as well as the design of the new dining hall which is not very old at all. I hope they build this new Webb Center. It is very needed.

http://www.kmca.com/latest-projects.html

Last I heard was during the summer last year from my friend that got to see an updated master plan is, the Webb is going to stay and just being renovated. This model says otherwise.

Then again, he didn't know about the new chemistry building being located where it is.. so the plan that he saw may have been an updated '13 plan.. but not the most recent version.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 01-31-2018 10:39 AM

https://www.facebook.com/OldDominionUniversityChemistryandBiochemistry/photos/a.1723045674645485.1073741828.1722128834737169/2048784355404947/?type=3&theater

First look at the new chemistry building, would like to see more angles before I make my final judgement about it. Seems to fit with campus

RE: ODU Master Plan - Monarchist13 - 01-31-2018 10:41 AM

Looks like a suburban office park.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 01-31-2018 10:44 AM

(01-31-2018 10:41 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Looks like a suburban office park.

Eh, I dont get that feel but I would like to see some lighter glass on the building

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 01-31-2018 10:50 AM

I'm glad it's not full on glass and there's mostly brick. Back to a traditional look which I like. Then again, I'm no architect.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 01-31-2018 10:51 AM

(01-31-2018 10:41 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Looks like a suburban office park.

They all do, because ODU doesn't do much to brand their buildings. I do like that things are having a more consistent look now. Better landscaping, public art and branding would go a long way. Two things bug me about our buildings though. First, most of our buildings should have banners or flags or window graphics or something to make them a bit more exciting and to brand them as part of the ODU campus. Second, for whatever reason, the powers that be don't seem to understand that many of the buildings have two "fronts". They make them look nice from the interior of the campus, and crappy from the street. The new education building is the exception to that thankfully. But the oceanography building, library, the buildings on 49th all look lousy from the street.