CSNbbs
[Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: [Archived Thread] ODU Master Plan (/thread-597635.html)

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 10-02-2017 12:04 PM

Good find.

40 year construction? Assuming that is the anticipated life of the building? That does not seem very long.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 10-02-2017 01:58 PM

(10-02-2017 12:04 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  Good find.

40 year construction? Assuming that is the anticipated life of the building? That does not seem very long.

I think 50 year is typical but I didn't see that. Still cant find much on the new residence hall. Hope to see a rendering soon.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 10-05-2017 01:21 PM

I talked to a student today that has seen the/an updated master plan.

1) The Webb is being done piece meal. University was unable to get the money for a new building. Right now the South is going to get the refresh. What was to be the footprint for the new chem building turns into this:

[Image: 34y47fd.png]

2) The plan that he saw said the the new chem building was going to go between the Eng Sys building and the Library. Additionally the Child Care Center and the associated parking lot were coming down to make room for another building. I think he said a health science building.

3) Monorail support will be converted into a bridge to cross Hampton Blvd.

Words of caution:
This presentation was during the summer.

We know that the chem building has it's new location by the baseball stadium.. at least as of this summer. Additionally health science buildings are going to VA Beach per the State of the University address. Perhaps there will be another Health Science building in Norfolk?

He only managed to get the 1 picture and he said he will try and get the power point. We'll see.

Seems like the school is still figuring stuff out, or he was mistaken with the chem building. He was adamant that it he was correct though.

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 10-05-2017 01:41 PM

(10-05-2017 01:21 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  3) Monorail support will be converted into a bridge to cross Hampton Blvd.

Seems like my senior project from 2008-2009 is finally happening. I wonder how much the school will pay me! COGS

RE: ODU Master Plan - Sidewinder - 10-05-2017 01:44 PM

(10-05-2017 01:41 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 01:21 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  3) Monorail support will be converted into a bridge to cross Hampton Blvd.

Seems like my senior project from 2008-2009 is finally happening. I wonder how much the school will pay me! COGS

The check is in the mail.

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 10-05-2017 02:03 PM

So I guess we have finally given up on the Maglev project. While I was for some reason hopeful that we would have figured it out at some point, I'm glad it is getting put to good use. I wonder if that means it will be demolished from the other side of Hampton to Powhatan?

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 10-05-2017 02:04 PM

(10-05-2017 01:21 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  I talked to a student today that has seen the/an updated master plan.

1) The Webb is being done piece meal. University was unable to get the money for a new building. Right now the South is going to get the refresh. What was to be the footprint for the new chem building turns into this:

[Image: 34y47fd.png]

2) The plan that he saw said the the new chem building was going to go between the Eng Sys building and the Library. Additionally the Child Care Center and the associated parking lot were coming down to make room for another building. I think he said a health science building.

3) Monorail support will be converted into a bridge to cross Hampton Blvd.

Words of caution:
This presentation was during the summer.

We know that the chem building has it's new location by the baseball stadium.. at least as of this summer. Additionally health science buildings are going to VA Beach per the State of the University address. Perhaps there will be another Health Science building in Norfolk?

He only managed to get the 1 picture and he said he will try and get the power point. We'll see.

Seems like the school is still figuring stuff out, or he was mistaken with the chem building. He was adamant that it he was correct though.

Im not very happy with this outcome. Webb center is a disaster and needs a complete rebuild inside and out. I hope they really do something to the exterior. Everything that I have seen the chemistry building will go behind the baseball stadium

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 10-05-2017 02:06 PM

(10-05-2017 01:44 PM)Sidewinder Wrote:  

The check is in the mail.

But is the dress in the bag?

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 10-05-2017 02:08 PM

(10-05-2017 02:03 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  

So I guess we have finally given up on the Maglev project. While I was for some reason hopeful that we would have figured it out at some point, I'm glad it is getting put to good use. I wonder if that means it will be demolished from the other side of Hampton to Powhatan?

It would be cheaper to abandon in place and give the students a nice 2 foot wide rain shelter, but it would be incredibly tacky to leave up. I would hope they demolish the remainder of the track, unless they want to have a really expensive catwalk from Hampton to Powhatan.

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 10-05-2017 02:18 PM

(10-05-2017 02:08 PM)odu09 Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 02:03 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  

It would be cheaper to abandon in place and give the students a nice 2 foot wide rain shelter, but it would be incredibly tacky to leave up. I would hope they demolish the remainder of the track, unless they want to have a really expensive catwalk from Hampton to Powhatan.

I had professors (specifically MR. Hanke who taught public speaking if anyone had him) that always referred to it as the world's most expensive umbrella lol. It did provide some coverage for the rain though so there's that.

It has also been sitting around for so long that it almost feels integral to campus. But if they're leaving any part of it up, at least it's the section that hangs over Hampton where "Old Dominion University" is hung up on both sides

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 10-05-2017 02:21 PM

Also, whatever happened with the monorail project? I know ODU took several swings but could never get it right. In nearly 20 years, especially with technology becoming better and better with each year, no one was able to figure it out?

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 10-05-2017 02:23 PM

Im not opposed to a nice pedestrian bridge. Something like this would be awesome

http://www.burgess-snyder.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Pedstrian-Bridge-6.jpg

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 10-05-2017 02:45 PM

They can do both. A pedestrian bridge and keep up with maglev research. They only use a small portion of the track for testing. I hear they thing actually works, it just isnt smooth. FWIW, supposedly ODU didnt pay anything for the maglev infrastructure. They just provided the land and some of the researchers. It was a partnership with a private company. The company went bankrupt and thats why they didnt remove the track like they were supposed to if the experiment didnt work. Wouldn't bother me if they did give up on it though. 15 year old technology can't be so cutting edge at this point.

RE: ODU Master Plan - odu09 - 10-05-2017 03:21 PM

(10-05-2017 02:21 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  Also, whatever happened with the monorail project? I know ODU took several swings but could never get it right. In nearly 20 years, especially with technology becoming better and better with each year, no one was able to figure it out?

Ahhh where to begin. My understanding is we built it and the testing never really worked because of vibration concerns. We had a solution, but it required more money, which the university did not receive. That's not official, that's just what I remember from when I was a student.

Here's what a wiki article says (again, it's wiki nothing official): "In 1999, Old Dominion University agreed to work with American Maglev of Atlanta to construct an on-campus student transportation link of less than one mile — using a smart train / dumb track design in which most sensors, magnets, and computation were located on the train rather than the track.[33] Several other institutes of higher rejected the project with cost and safety concerns. While projected to cost less to build per mile than existing systems, the ODU maglev was never operational. After far exceeding its projected $14 million budget, a groundbreaking was held in 2001, the project was completed in 2002; and the technology failed: the vehicle lost its "float" and come to a full friction stop on top of the rail, damaging much of the system. American Maglev and ODU dissolved their relationship and the project became an internal university research project.[34][35][36] In October 2006, the research team performed an unscheduled test of the car that went smoothly. The system was subsequently removed from the power grid for nearby construction.[37] In February 2009, the team retested the sled and was successful despite power outages on campus. ODU subsequently partnered with a Massachusetts-based company to test another maglev train. MagneMotion Inc. was expected to bring its prototype maglev vehicle, about the size of a van, to the campus to test in 2010"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_maglev_train_proposals

Here's a pilot update from 2010: https://pilotonline.com/news/local/education/odu-to-sell-unused-material-to-keep-maglev-research-on/article_1af809f5-9870-508b-a33b-ec916381def6.html

RE: ODU Master Plan - MonGNARch - 10-05-2017 03:23 PM

(10-05-2017 02:45 PM)monarx Wrote:  They can do both. A pedestrian bridge and keep up with maglev research. They only use a small portion of the track for testing. I hear they thing actually works, it just isnt smooth. FWIW, supposedly ODU didnt pay anything for the maglev infrastructure. They just provided the land and some of the researchers. It was a partnership with a private company. The company went bankrupt and thats why they didnt remove the track like they were supposed to if the experiment didnt work. Wouldn't bother me if they did give up on it though. 15 year old technology can't be so cutting edge at this point.

I've always wondered what they would do about the portion of the track that runs pretty much adjacent to the Springhill Suites (I'm guessing that got built after the track?). There's no way a car could squeeze by that area, so a bridge from that end across Hampton would make sense. But if the thing works why not still have it go from right on the other side of Hampton to Powhatan? I know when I lived as a student in the Powhatan apartments and had class in the Health Sciences building, I would've loved to have ridden that across campus.

RE: ODU Master Plan - monarx - 10-05-2017 04:03 PM

(10-05-2017 03:23 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 02:45 PM)monarx Wrote:  They can do both. A pedestrian bridge and keep up with maglev research. They only use a small portion of the track for testing. I hear they thing actually works, it just isnt smooth. FWIW, supposedly ODU didnt pay anything for the maglev infrastructure. They just provided the land and some of the researchers. It was a partnership with a private company. The company went bankrupt and thats why they didnt remove the track like they were supposed to if the experiment didnt work. Wouldn't bother me if they did give up on it though. 15 year old technology can't be so cutting edge at this point.

I've always wondered what they would do about the portion of the track that runs pretty much adjacent to the Springhill Suites (I'm guessing that got built after the track?). There's no way a car could squeeze by that area, so a bridge from that end across Hampton would make sense. But if the thing works why not still have it go from right on the other side of Hampton to Powhatan? I know when I lived as a student in the Powhatan apartments and had class in the Health Sciences building, I would've loved to have ridden that across campus.

I think the test track that they still use is on the other side by Powhatan. The part by Springhill was originally designed to move students from Powhatan to the Ted. In fact, I believe the Ted still has "maglev" directional signage in it. When the place was built they still anticipated it would be working and a viable transit option for students and staff.

RE: ODU Master Plan - GhentFan - 10-05-2017 05:08 PM

(10-05-2017 04:03 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 03:23 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  

I think the test track that they still use is on the other side by Powhatan. The part by Springhill was originally designed to move students from Powhatan to the Ted. In fact, I believe the Ted still has "maglev" directional signage in it. When the place was built they still anticipated it would be working and a viable transit option for students and staff.

Last I saw (and last I actually looked for it) there was a test sled sitting on the tracks over by powhatan 2 years ago. When I get back from fall break next week I can head over that way and take a look to see if it's still there. Haven't been on that side of campus in a while.

RE: ODU Master Plan - xxxoduxxx - 10-05-2017 05:15 PM

(10-05-2017 02:18 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  I had professors (specifically MR. Hanke who taught public speaking if anyone had him) that always referred to it as the world's most expensive umbrella lol. It did provide some coverage for the rain though so there's that.

It has also been sitting around for so long that it almost feels integral to campus. But if they're leaving any part of it up, at least it's the section that hangs over Hampton where "Old Dominion University" is hung up on both sides

Mr. Hanke was one of the best profs I had at ODU IMO. I miss him. Also, his public speaking teaching skill was unique compared to other profs. No use of powerpoint, standing in the parapet in public and giving a speech to making radio like commercials, I learned a lot from him.

RE: ODU Master Plan - cmett003 - 10-05-2017 06:25 PM

Interesting find: While looking for information on the new residence hall, I found that the same Architect did a Greek row housing study for ODU.

https://www.vmdo.com/project-index.html

RE: ODU Master Plan - Mr.BigBlue - 10-06-2017 07:11 AM

I have worked with VMDO on several projects. They are very good and very thorough. Part of that study was based on a move of the stadium to the Powhatan location. I no longer think this is relevant unless they are thinking about acquiring land on 42st or perhaps relooking at the Powhatan site for a different use.